Chapter 4

Destination Zero

 

D—“:

Namjoo found herself sitting in a wide room with a long table, two tall windows, a few chairs sprawled about, and a crazy laptop Eunhyuk had with him. Obviously he wasn’t connected to wi-fi but he had seriously important files he was willing to share with her. The depth of its importance Namjoo did not yet understand.

Eunhyuk who was sitting on the table turned his laptop around so she could see what was on the screen. Leeteuk diligently stood by to watch over them. Namjoo stared at the PowerPoint on the screen. Two pictures first popped up of two middle aged men.

“Naval captain, Han Ji Suk, and government bodyguard, Kim Won Kyu, are the start of this,” Eunhyuk lectured, “Kim Won Kyu’s son, Kim Jae Shik, was a part of Han Ji Suk’s naval army but died in a practice shoot off. And the one who made the shot was Han Ji Suk himself. So friends turn against each other and Kim Won Kyu started a petition to force Han Ji Suk down from his position. But the situation was that Han Ji Suk’s daughter was a living vegetable in the hospital and it cost his paycheck every year to keep her alive. Against all odds, Han Ji Suk was removed from the naval base and without a job. This is where the grudge comes in.”

Eunhyuk pressed a button and a picture of a house on fire appeared on the screen.

“Kim Won Kyu’s home was mysteriously set on fire killing his family,” Eunhyuk continued, “with a few government official’s help, Kim Won Kyu tracked down suspect Han Ji Suk who they discover has set up a private army in the woodlands. This is the birth of Organization One. After a bloody confrontation, those government officials have gone missing.”

The next slide presented to Namjoo faces she didn’t recognize, but one of them a secretary she’d seen in a portrait inside the secretarial hall.

“Kim Won Kyu returned to the government bloody and sought help, but anyone he came into contact with went missing,” Eunhyuk further explained, “Kim Won Kyu finally died of a heart attack 10 years ago. Any person who’s touched or has evidence of Organization One has since gone missing.”

“But it still doesn’t justify their reason for killing,” Leeteuk added. “Perhaps it was based on plain grudge since the beginning and became a habit to kill over time. None of that matters though. What matters is we need to stop them.”

Namjoo’s stern wide eyes stared aimlessly at the laptop as she muttered, “So all this…is just a cycle of revenge?”

“Yes,” Leeteuk calmly nodded. “Han Ji Suk is probably out there somewhere. We’ve got to destroy them before there are any more meaningless deaths. Han Ji Suk can’t hide from his punishment forever.”

While they talked, Namjoo could only focus on the hands she was fighting to keep from shaking. How could they be so calm when they talked about this group of killers who did it for exhilaration? Why did they talk so normally about it when her heart was about to burst? How could she have worked in such a dangerous place without realizing it? Why had the government personals hidden so much from her? It was all because of those stupid jerks that her life had been ruined! The anger that extinguished just as fast as it rose in her was interrupted by a knock at the door forcing Namjoo to jump in her seat. She swiveled around to stare at the wooden door before Leeteuk stepped forward to open it.          

A young woman with a mature pretty face appeared at the doorway. She was dressed very casually with jeans, boots, a shirt, and an old flannel blouse over it. Namjoo spotted a gun belt around her waist when she greeted Leeteuk. The seriousness on her face of whatever she was reporting was all Namjoo could see during that moment before Leeteuk turned around. His face was suddenly filled with an expression of relief.

“They’re back!” Leeteuk waved his arm up.

“Ah…really!?” Eunhyuk slid off the table onto his feet before turning to look down at Namjoo. “The group that went out as spies have returned. Lets go meet them and introduce you to everyone.”

Naturally she stood to her feet and followed Eunhyuk to the door where the young girl was looking toward her expectantly with a welcoming smile on her face. Her long hair was neatly tied back into a high ponytail and Namjoo suddenly realized that this girl was younger than her.

“Hi,” she greeted, “I’m Krystal. Welcome to the team.”

“Namjoo.” Namjoo nodded in acknowledgement.

“You’ll be safe with us,” Krystal added, “Eunhyuk and Leeteuk are great leaders. The rest of the team will be excited to meet you too.”

All she could do was nod in agreement silently before following them out. Still not used to anything all Namjoo could do was remain silent and allow herself to go with the flow. Within time, she was sure, that within time she would gradually become accustomed to their ways since in the first place she’d been forced there against her will. And none of them seemed arrogant or violent. If they were on the defensive side, Namjoo felt like she might just survive this ordeal.

Outside a young pack of males were standing around in a group, each one of them armed with their own handgun. From through Namjoo’s eyes, they looked like a bunch of young college students preparing for an outing. That was how it should have been.

When they reached the young group they turned with bright smiles on their faces.

“Did you bring your girlfriend again?” one of the guys joked.

“You’re sure enjoying yourselves,” Eunhyuk remarked, “you didn’t just fool around out there, did you?”

“Of course we did our job!”

“Boys,” Krystal muttered before walking over to join them.

“Alright everybody,” Leeteuk called out, “gather around. We have a new team member with us today.”

The group moved closer in an orderly manner and as if trained they silenced.

“Kim Namjoo’s workplace was attacked last night by the organization,” Leeteuk explained, “thus in order to keep her safe, she has joined us. Namjoo, this is Man Sook, Chan Shik, Baekhyun, and Tao. If you have any questions feel free to ask any of them for help. I believe you all will help guide each other.”

“You better stay away from this crook,” the thin Man Sook pointed over to Baekhyun, “he might look like a puppy, but he won’t hesitate when attacking.”

While the group cheerily greeted and welcomed her, Namjoo couldn’t help but wonder what had brought them all there. Had the people close to them been victims of Organization One? Or were they just people who were willing to fight for a cause?

After they split up Namjoo was led to the canteen by Baekhyun whose eyes made him look fierce, but something about the features of his face made him look innocent to all the violence Namjoo had experienced. They were quiet as they walked around the corner of the building where Baekhyun walked up the stairs toward a brown door.

“You don’t look like you want to be here.” He commented as they stepped into a hall identical to the one that took her to her room. Baekhyun stopped and turned around to look at her. Namjoo looked away guiltily and stared at the ground.

“What about you?”

He pressed his lips together and stashed his hands into the pockets of his pants. “A childhood friend of mine, his father used to work in the government before he retired. How should I say this? I was probably at the wrong place at the wrong time when I saw them massacred in front of me. I was so scared I hid in the tool shed. I didn’t come out until the cops came. I pleaded my case, but they thought I was crazy. Of course it was a serial killer that had done them in good.” Baekhyun tilted his face up to the ceiling. “So I brought my case to the government. I was angry with how the police concluded the massacre as a homicide done by a serial killer. What hurt the most is knowing the fact that I couldn’t be of help to the friend I cherished when he was being gutted. And I had witnessed it all. I disgust myself.

“Then I met Leeteuk and Eunhyuk in the government headquarters. I can’t set my mind at peace until I’ve done something about it. I don’t like killing, but if it’s to stop others from going through what I’ve been through, it’s justice enough for me.”

“So you left your life behind…for this?” Namjoo couldn’t believe him. She couldn’t understand him.

“Yes,” he replied, “I can’t move on without settling this affair. You know, soon, you’ll have a reason to start fighting. Eventually, you’ll have to submit to the fact that you’ve been brought here for a reason. Look at Man Sook, he hates the government coup with all his heart, but he’s still here because here is where he’ll be able to save his brother from Organization One.”

“Organization One this, Organization One that, hearing it so much is starting to frustrate me,” Namjoo muttered.

“Maybe you don’t understand your role yet,” Baekhyun told, “everything will fall into place. But before that, we should get something into our stomachs first.”

D—“:

After tossing her wet towel drenched with sweat onto the ground Victoria walked away from the pack of men still moving about outside and started toward the long stairs in front of the dorm. She spotted Kris gulping down a whole water bottle at the side of the stairs and walked over.

Glancing around she asked, “Where’s the new kid?”

As if he didn’t know himself he glanced around as well, “Must be in his room.”

“How did shooting practice go?”

“You were right. Good thing you didn’t assign him to one-on-ones,” Kris said, “he nailed it.”

“His body doesn’t look fit for fighting. Looks like he’s worked in some office his whole life,” Victoria meanly stated, “some people are passing around rumors that our next mission is being pushed up.”

“What?” Kris almost dropped his empty water bottle. “Why! How?”

“A group was spotted near our territory, Chang In’s tailing them quietly to see where they’re from,” Victoria explained in a quiet whisper. “If it’s the coup, the mission might just start tonight.”

Disappointment and disbelief curbed his face. “Damn, I was really hoping to sleep early tonight and now this?”

“You’re aware what that means,” Victoria told looking at him, “you and Luhan are going to be watching our backs while we infiltrate.”

He sighed as if too exhausted to listen anymore, “Whatever, he’s got the hang of it anyway. I swear he must have shot a gun somewhere before. His aim is so precise.”

“Bring him down. Breakfast is being served.” Victoria ordered before turning away.

D—“:

Luhan sat on the floor with his legs sprawled out before him. His fingers were attached to the ring on his necklace. He wondered how Namjoo was doing now and if she had noticed that he was missing. Would Lay go report to Namjoo about his disappearance hoping she would be worried?

He had rejoiced the first month of his divorce, but shortly after regret came seeping in. Even though they’d promised to play it cool when they saw each other on the streets, he never once saw her during those 5 months. Honestly, when he thought back to it their differences could have been easily solved with talks but they were so quick tempered that everything led to one and another argument. And it wasn’t Namjoo who had sought for divorce papers and brought them home. It was his doing. As enraged and shocked as she was at the sight of the documents, she signed them on spot without hesitation.

Luhan had no idea what really caused their breakup, he wished he knew but he didn’t. It was difficult to figure it out since so many factors were involved. The footsteps outside the door surprised him and he quickly tucked the necklace into his shirt before getting to his feet. Kris appeared at the doorway a few seconds later.

“Breakfast is ready, lets go eat,” Kris gestured with his head down the hallway.

D—“:

Changmin had expected hell, but he hadn’t expected it this fast. He shot up from his desk when the door opened and inside stepped in a 40 year old man. Wrinkles were relevant on his face to all the effort he put into his hard work. His hair was beginning to gray marking his old age, but his deep thick eyebrows made him look kind and welcoming. His long business told Changmin that he hadn’t yet bothered to go home for a rest, instead he’d rushed back into town after listening to his wife cry over the phone all night.

His expression was currently contorted. Frustration, anger, and disbelief defined his state of mind according to his steep shallow steps which were quickly hurried when he made his way to the chief.    

“What is this!?” he bellowed.

Changmin felt his eyes grow stern in surprise with the strength that boomed from his voice. He felt paralyzed underneath his authority.

This was Kim Dong Hyun, Namjoo’s father.

“How could my daughter go missing!? Why is there no news about her whereabouts! What are your men doing!?” he slammed his palms on the long counter.

“Sir, we’re currently searching right at this moment…” the chief bowed his head in explanation.

“Then where is she! If she hasn’t been found since 3 hours of her disappearance your men aren’t working hard enough!”

“Sir, please understand, a lot of civilians have are also worried. Many people have gone missing during this period of time…”

“I am talking about my daughter Kim Namjoo!” the man continued to yell.

By now, everyone within the police station was frozen.

“I have connections to you superior. Why hasn’t one of those missing persons been found? Your men are not working hard enough! Do you think loitering inside the police station everyday will make a difference!? Do you think hanging up pictures of missing people will bring them back when you tell us your men are working out there!?” he screamed. “You just wait,” he pointed his finger at the chief, “I’m going to make a statement to your superior. Every one of you will be fired.”  

With that he swiveled around and walked out.

Changmin watched the door close shut before he glanced over at his chief. He guessed Kim Dong Hyun had made a point about the missing people. It had been months and not one person had been recovered. On the other hand, it had only been a day since Kim Namjoo had gone missing, and two since Luhan had disappeared without notice. He wondered if Yixing, Luhan’s friend, had started his own search for the friend he was so concerned about.

But what Changmin should really start worrying about was if he might really lose his job. Kim Dong Hyun held a lot of influence over majority of the general public with his activist movements, and the chief superiors were under this influence as well. What was going to happen next?

D—“:

“Luhan?” Donghae looked up from his steamy cup of coffee. “Ah…I remember him. The smart kid who attended college with his highschool sweetheart, right?”

They had met inside a tiny coffee shop sitting at a table isolated from everyone else at the back. Yixing was anxious to confirm whether Donghae would agree to help him search for Luhan, because if it wasn’t him then Yixing didn’t know what else he’d do. He didn’t have the money to hire a high status detective.

“Yes,” Yixing nodded, “he went missing two days ago. I’m really worried.”

“You sure he’s not out somewhere dealing with some other business?” Donghae contradicted.

“No,” he shook his head, “Luhan just got divorced 5 months ago. He’s been really broody and down lately, so he’s been calling me every day. I know he wouldn’t leave without a word to me at least, but I haven’t heard from him and he’s not at his apartment. I have a bad feeling something has happened to him. Luhan isn’t the irresponsible type.”

“Alright, alright,” Donghae nodded and coolly took out a notepad. “When did you last see him?”

“The evening before his disappearance so…Wednesday evening,” Yixing answered.

“Where does he work? Any other close friends?”

Yixing thoroughly thought about before explaining to Donghae all that he knew.  After about 10 minutes Donghae packed his notepad and pen away.

“I’ll see what I can find,” Donghae promised, “but I’m sure nothing bad has happened. He’s always been a lucky kid, hasn’t he?”

“Oh…yea…” Yixing replied unenthusiastically.

“Hey, cheer up. This is free service I’m giving you. I usually charge $150 an hour. Detective work is really complicated, you know?” Donghae got up to his feet before patting Yixing on the back. “See you, kid.”

Getting to his feet he thanked Donghae on his way out and watched Donghae drive off in his sports car before he let out a sigh. He could only hope Donghae was right and that luck was on Luhan’s side. This felt surreal. Luhan wasn’t the type to run away from anything. No matter what anyone thought, Yixing knew Luhan best.

He took a step forward and paused. Would Luhan have contacted Namjoo by any chance? It was possible since he still wore the ring around his neck. He had to have kept the ring for some reason. Yixing walked toward a bus stop and wondered if Namjoo still resided in the apartment she’d moved to shortly after the divorce. If he went to see her and told her about Luhan, would she show any sign of worry? He knew they resented each other, but maybe Namjoo might care too.

It was a breezy day with cold wind and Yixing put his arms around himself when he stopped by the bus stop. Just beside the bench sat a newspaper dispenser but what was on the headline caught his eyes. Digging a coin out of his pocket he pressed the button and a newspaper slid out. Traffic buzzed in front of him when he stared down at the picture of the government office and the car in the parking lot, the car which Namjoo drove.

“Ím Heung Soo and his secretary Kim Nam Joo missing…”

His lips fell apart at the shock of it. What was this? How could two people who knew each other, who he knew go missing? How could Namjoo have gone missing just a day after Luhan? 


***I soooo apologize for the late upate!!! I started writing 3 Ways again. I'm gonna set this story on semi-hiatus since I should first concentrate on what I first started. But that doesn't mean I'll stop updating this story. Whenever I'm stuck with 3 Ways you can expect an update for this story ^^

***But anyway, the story is unraveling. Next, the planned attack from Organization One, and Luhan finally realizes his fate