Chapter 20

Destination Zero

 

D—“:

Namjoo had finished the soup Baekhyun had brought her and was now eating one of the chocolate bars from the bag. Just like yesterday he walked in through the door at an early hour and had some more food with him as well as some more ammunition he’d promised yesterday.

“Are you feeling better today?” he asked.

“I’m feeling good,” she smiled. “What did you bring with you?”

“More food,” Baekhyun replied, “did you eat what I brought?”

Namjoo nodded and watched him put the stuff onto the bedside table.

“You look happier today.”

“I’m telling you I feel good.” Namjoo stated.

“Why?” he wondered. “Did something good happen?”

“Not really,” Namjoo replied. “How are the others?”

“They’re doing well. They hope to see you soon.” Baekhyun answered. Then he paused and asked, “Do you want to go back today?”

She shook her head quietly. She still wasn’t ready to see their faces.

“Alright, that’s fine too.” Baekhyun gave in before looking around. “Does your friend come here often?”

Kris. She knew now that he’d lied to her. For a long time she had thought it through, but he’d been so kind to her. Her guts still told her nonetheless that he didn’t have any bad intentions. Namjoo just couldn’t find it in herself to be upset with him. She had been warmed by his kindness and it in a way took away some of her sadness, so she stopped thinking about it.  

“Yes.”

“You should stop seeing him.”

Namjoo glanced at the ground before she looked up at him, “I’ll take care of it on my own.”

Baekhyun looked like he wanted to refute her, but he didn’t. Namjoo was aware she was probably burdening him with guilt so she didn’t want to talk with him about anything else. There just wasn’t much to say to him.

After Baekhyun left Namjoo walked around and waited for Kris. She knew she wasn’t going to question him. She couldn’t do it now since she didn’t do it at the beginning, it just didn’t seem right to push him into a corner and demand answers.  All Namjoo had in mind was that she was going to find the answers herself. And surprisingly, today her body was cooperating with her so she knew exactly what she was going to do.

Honestly, whatever Kris was didn’t really matter to her, but she was curious about where he came from and what he did. After giving his sweater a wash she left it on the clothesline to dry and headed back inside. Kris appeared in due time and when the door opened Namjoo turned with a smile. Walking over to the bedside table she drew out a chocolate bar and turned around to hand it to him.

“It’s for you,” she said. He stared at it as if it were something foreign. “You don’t want it?”

“No, I’ll take it,” he took it from her and flashed her a smile.

“I had a feeling you’d come back even after what I told you yesterday.”

His eyes softened into sympathy. “You didn’t do it without any reason. I believe you’re not someone like that.”

Whoever Kris was, she felt extremely touched by his words. Namjoo managed a smile before she sat down with her back to the bed.

“You come here a lot,” Namjoo said, “you don’t need to, you know?”

Taking the seat beside her he took a glance at her before looking away. “If I didn’t come, who’d help you when you were hurting?”

She tilted her head down and stared at the ground. No one had been around. If he hadn’t been there who would have helped her? Namjoo would have been left crying on the floor waiting till the sun set before she could get up. It would have been scary alone, and even when she hadn’t said anything, he stayed.

They sat like that for a quite some time and Namjoo just enjoyed the silence that passed between them as if they were speaking to each other through their minds. It was calming, relaxing, and put her mind at ease. 

He smiled and stood to his feet, “I just wanted to see you for a bit. I have to go back now.”

“Alright,” she smiled and got up too.

“I’ll see you again,” he said and turned to walk away but paused and turned back to her. Kris stood there for a long minute as if he was thinking things through very carefully before he leaned forward and gave her a kiss. Stupefied and speechless she couldn’t find it in herself to say or do anything. He stepped back and blushed before smiling shyly. “Bye.”

Without waiting for her to regain her senses he bounded out the door happily leaving her to stand there like an idiot. Namjoo stood there for a minute wondering, “Why…” before she remembered that she had something else to do.

Slowly turning around Namjoo dashed into the woods and tailed Kris. She was careful with her steps and took caution to remain out of sight and far from him. Even when she followed him she couldn’t help but feel guilty. Why was she doing this? Maybe if she had asked him, he would have been honest with her. He couldn’t have been fully lying to her from the start if he had been so kind to her. Then Namjoo rose her fingers up to touch her lips where he’d kissed her earlier.

Why had he done it?

Kris was walking for a long time and she wondered where it was that he was headed. Why did he walk such a long way just to come see her? It didn’t make sense yet she remained patient and followed. After an hour and a half Namjoo spotted some buildings through the thick woods and it was here where he disappeared.

Stopping in her tracks she slipped out from behind the tree she had been hiding behind before tilting her head up to look at the white building. Just what was this place? Confusion built itself in her mind before she scoured the grounds and daringly stepped toward the clearing. There was a wide field in front of her and another building on her left. Namjoo browsed her eyes around and felt her lips fall apart. Was this what she thought it was?

Her heart began racing and Namjoo turned to look at all the people walking around, running, jumping and hurdling through the air, and others were throwing punches against training bags. Then a gun shot went off in the distance and she heard laughter.

“That newbie’s at it again.” She heard someone comment.

Newbie? Namjoo turned and took a step back. What newbie? Why had she thought of Luhan for some reason? Was this Organization One? Namjoo’s bottom lip quivered before she stepped back down her right on the search for another building. He was there. Luhan was there. She could feel it. Luhan was there somewhere…

“Who are you?” a low voice questioned.

Namjoo froze in her steps and felt chills run all over her body. This was it. She was caught. She was going to die. Those were the first few thoughts that scourged her mind.

Gulping she slowly pivoted around and felt even more surprised when she spotted someone with a totally different appearance than what she had expected. This person was donned in a white gown. He had long hair and a white mask sown over his face with no apparent facial expression. It was just a white mask with no nose or lips and two dark holes that looked like they had been poked in for the eyes, but even then, Namjoo couldn’t see any eyes. Who was he?

She took a step back.

“You shouldn’t be here.” He took a step forward forcing Namjoo back another step.

The man took another step forward before lunging toward her. Namjoo screamed and spun around to run away. He followed her mercilessly. She put all her might in her legs and forced herself to run like she’d never run before on the basketball court. Even if she ran fast, he was still at her back. Who was he?! What did he want!? Was he going to kill her!?

They crossed the thick woods and Namjoo was certain she’d fallen off the trail she was on earlier. Suddenly ahead now she turned around a fat oak tree and hid behind the low bushes growing around it. Stuffing a hand over to stop her hard breathing she listened for any footsteps that might approach her, but she heard nothing. She looked around with her eyes but couldn’t see anything through the bushes surrounding her. She was sure that she was crouched so low that not even a bird would notice her, but she was wrong. Namjoo was so wrong.

A hand shot through the bush and wrapped itself around her ankle before dragging her out. Namjoo shrieked and felt the little branches cut into her face as he pulled her across the ground. When he stopped she looked up to see him wielding a large rectangular knife, something she had never seen before in her life and screamed even louder. Namjoo rolled to the side and felt her hand unconsciously reach for her gun. Maybe it was her mind that had taken over now because she swore she couldn’t remember thinking of doing anything like it. And when the gun went off twice Namjoo found herself on one knee before her hands shook and the gun dropped onto the ground. A seemingly low sob escaped from her.

She’d done it again. Namjoo had killed again. Her wide eyes landed on the bloody body sprawled against the ground. She couldn’t believe it. Her lips trembled before she shook her head, picked up the gun, and ran all the way back. Namjoo didn’t know her way through the woods, lest did she know that she somehow remembered her way back to the cabin. Slamming the door behind her she dropped to the floor of the kitchen as if seeking shelter from a tornado away from any windows and covered her head.          

Tears fell from her eyes ceaselessly, but she didn’t make a sound. She was lost, confused, and frustrated all at once. She killed again. Kris had lied to her. He was from Organization One, he knew about Luhan, and last of all, she’d found Luhan who she had promised to save. What was she going to do now?

A wheezing cry belted out from her lips and Namjoo clutched onto her shirt while her shoulders shook. What was she going to do in her helpless state?

She shook her head in complete denial before suddenly quieting.

D—“:

“Your wounds are starting to close up well. Remain from too much movement and don’t put too much stress on your arms or shoulders,” the doctor told Victoria.

She nodded in thanks and pulled Changmin’s sweater back on. As long as the gun shots were closing Victoria was good. It also meant she was in good shape and would have to leave police camp soon. She’d been away from Organization One and her missions for too long. The others would start gossiping and it’d bring her trouble. Plus, she was worried about Kris and Dae Suk who seemed to be watching his every move.

This left Victoria to think about what she wanted to tell Changmine exactly. She’d found a good friend in him as well as someone she wanted to rely on for the first time. Victoria was hesitant about leaving him. What if she just asked the cops to send her back to Seoul? What if she could leave everything behind and do something for herself?

No, she couldn’t. She couldn’t abandon Luhan and Kris. She wouldn’t abandon them for anything. They were the same as her. They all shared one life and she didn’t want to have something that the two of them couldn’t have.  It would make her feel guilty.

The door of the tent opened and Changmin walked in. He was carrying a bowl with a lot of steam floating off it and there was this cheesy smile on his face when he walked over.

Then it started, “Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you…”

Her jaw literally dropped and she did not smile. Instead, Victoria was awed, touched, and full of emotions again.

“I knew someone had some ingredients,” Changmin said while setting the bowl down on a portable table beside her. “Try it. It should taste good. I didn’t have all the ingredients so it’s just seaweed without meat.”

He handed her a spoon and when she didn’t take it, he forced it into her hand before urging her again to taste it. Victoria, though, found herself staring into the bowl of soup. She wanted to savor the moment. Her mother had last cooked her seaweed soup and that had been the last year she had been alive, that was the time before Victoria lost everything…

Tears arose in her eyes and dropped one by one very quietly. She knew it was wrong to cry with such a happy meal cooked for her just by the precious Changmin, but she couldn’t help it. Victoria was so overwhelmed.

She covered with her hand to steady herself before she dipped the spoon into the soup. Surprisingly, her hands were shaking as well. Victoria couldn’t contain herself. She wanted to bawl. There hadn’t been a chance for her to celebrate her birthday neither did anyone sing her the birthday anthem.

Changmin was destroying her.

Another tear fell from her face when she lifted a spoonful of the soup up to her lips and ate. Victoria actually meant to smile, but it actually turned out into an ugly one before she started crying loudly. Her heart was souring. It was being cut open and all her unfulfilled desires were pouring out. She wanted them to be appeased. Victoria wanted Changmin to be her savior, but she couldn’t say it.

Covering again she turned her head down and sobbed. Changmin who was surprised and shocked by the unexpected reaction found himself staring at her helplessly at first before he finally stepped forward. Lightly hugging her against him he patted her back soothingly with his large hand.

The comfort made it worse and Victoria found herself tearing up uncontrollably.

“Sorry,” Victoria apologized later when they left the tent to sit out back. “I was just…really touched.” Then she turned to look at Changmin’s perfect side profile. “Thank you, Changmin, for letting me relive this experience. Really. I’m really grateful.”

“Of course,” he smiled kindly.

Victoria turned away when she felt like crying again. “You’re really…special, you know?”

He didn’t reply, but smiled.

“Changmin, if you find out that I did some wrong things,” Victoria said, “don’t take back your definition of being righteous.”

“What?” he questioned.

“A person who has no will and is told to do what they are ordered to do, that person is also wrong,” Victoria told, “so don’t take mercy on people who have done wrong. I believe you’re a good cop.”

Changmin looked around quietly confused.

“I’m proud of you,” Victoria turned to look at him with a teary smile, “and I envy you.”

If God allowed it, she wanted Changmin to come after her even if he knew about the things she’d done. She wanted his will to lead him to her.

D—“:

Victoria was confusing. What had she been talking about? Changmin was confused after watching her head back into the tent for sleep. Why had it sounded like she was saying goodbye even though she hadn’t said it directly? What was going through her mind?

D—“:

Namjoo was standing by the bedside table and the bed the next afternoon. She had reloaded her gun with the bullets that Baekhyun had brought her and she knew exactly what she was going to do. She had figured things out at last and she knew now what she had to do. Kris would no doubt be her link to Luhan.

When she heard footsteps she turned around with her gun raised.

D—“:

“Sorry,” Namjoo put her gun down, “I thought you were someone else.”

Kris was baffled speechless. The hard seriously look in Namjoo’s eyes had been there. Had she been prepared to raise the gun at him the moment he stepped through the door? His heart palpitated and he didn’t move from spot. Kris was nervous.

Namjoo sat down on the bed and looked up at him. “If I tell you something about me, would you turn your back on me?”

He looked at her worried before he sat down. “I’ll listen.”

She turned away and clasped her hands together, “Actually, I’m not waiting for my friends. I didn’t get separated from them, we decided to separate. You see, what I’m doing isn’t normal. I got involved with a government coup when my boss was murdered. I guess it’s what they say when you’re at the wrong place at the wrong time, but I was saved by the government coup and now I’m with them. We were attacked by our enemy, Organization One, a week ago. We promised to split and meet up again, but some things happened and I didn’t want to go back to them.”

Kris listened intently, his heart thudding wildly each second.

“But during the raid, I met Luhan, you know, my ex-husband. Then I found out, he’s also with them. Organization One.” Namjoo said. “I’m," she paused then continued,  "going to save him.”

He lost his breath and turned to look at Namjoo who turned exactly at the same time to look at him. Her eyes were determined, but her face had this gentle expression as if she was telling him something she couldn't say. Kris didn’t know what it meant. Did she know? Did she resent him? He didn’t want her to hate him…

“Thank you, for coming back to keep me company when I said I wanted to be alone,” Namjoo’s eyes turned soft and she didn’t look angry, that hard look in her eyes earlier had completely dissolved now that she was looking at him, “I really appreciate it. You’re a really kind person, but I don’t think yours and my world can collide. If we ever meet coincidentally, lets say hi to each other then.”

His heart sank.

“It’s not that our worlds are different,” Kris said after a second and his sorry eyes didn’t move from her, “I don’t care if they’re different. When you see a person at their worst, you see a lot more about them. And you, just happened to be that for me. If you asked me anything, I would have told you the truth.” He couldn’t turn away from her. “Yesterday, that was my first kiss.”

Namjoo tilted her head down. “Lets talk about it if we see each other again.”

And it was farewell just like that. Kris was confused and lost. What had happened? Why had it happened? Why didn’t she just say she knew who he was? If she said it that way, leaving would have been so much easier. Did she even know what she was doing to him?

His day turned even worse when he returned to Organization One. Dae Suk shoved his sweater into his face when he stepped onto the field in front of the dorm.

“Why, isn’t this the sweater you left with the other day and came back without?” he questioned.

Kris stared at Dae Suk with a glare before he glanced at the sweater he’d given Namjoo. The glare in his eyes lost its momentum before he tried to reach for the sweater, but Dae Suk pulled it back.

“Where’d you get that?” Kris growled.

“Hear this, everyone! Kris has been seeing someone from the government coup!” 


***Oh ho! So much in this chapter! It's going to be intense again! And new poster for the second half of the story.

***f.y.i. the person that discovered Namjoo is from Organization Two that's why at the beginning they said that the ppl from Organization Two are not normal.

***This is farewell for ChangToria until a while

***Namjoo purposely raised the gun at Kris. She was testing his reaction.  

***So who ships Kris-Namjoo? What about Luhan-Namjoo? Or BaekJoo even though it won't happen xD