Parting Time

Perfectly Imbalanced

 

 


 

 

“Oh crap.”

 

Baekhyun bent down to collect the broken pieces of the cup while Luhan hurriedly walked over. Not really someone you expect to see in the morning. “Hi, I’m Luhan,”

 

“Tristan,” Tristan said, shaking his hand. “Tristan Van der Gilt,”

 

“What’re you doing here?” Baekhyun asked and immediately turned around to throw the broken pieces on the kitchen garbage can, most likely trying to avoid the person who presented himself on their doorway but is concerned enough to ask.

 

“Oh come on. That’s no way to greet your brother,”

 

Luhan didn’t actually know what to do so he just kept on glancing at the kitchen doorway, to Tristan, then back to the kitchen doorway, then back to Tristan again, until it occurred to him that guests should be welcomed inside. “Why don’t you come in?”

 

“Thank you,” Tristan said, smiling. They proceeded to the kitchen immediately where they found Baekhyun washing his hands on the sink, his back turned to them. Tristan was looking around. “You have a very nice home,”

 

Baekhyun turned off the faucet immediately and faced him. “Tristan, what are you doing here?”

 

“You weren’t as cute as before,”

 

“How did you find me?”

 

“Just some tricks,”

 

Baekhyun snorted. “Oh please. You’re a doctor.”

 

Tristan sighed. “Fine. Credit to Arthur then.”

 

“Why did you come here?”

 

“You need to come back,” Short and to the point. Baekhyun remembered that’s how Tristan usually is. Being the eldest and most of the time in-charged of them, he’s almost like a father.

 

“I’m not coming back. You should’ve already known that after three years.”

 

“No, Ellie, you don’t understand,”

 

“I do understand! I’m tired and sick of hiding from all of you! Why don’t you just leave me alone?!”

 

“Ellie—“

 

“I’m not coming back!”

 

“YOUR FATHER’S DYING!” This is the point where Luhan decided to leave quietly.

 

Baekhyn crooked his eyebrows. Tristan’s face is serious and he hates the fact that he couldn’t find a hint of fakeness. “You’re kidding. How is he dying when…when he’s been constantly cutting me off?”

 

“He’s not the one who’s cutting you off,” Tristan said. “It’s mom. Or stepmom.”

 

Baekhyun’s breath hitched and he looked away.

 

“You know how much your father loves you. He wouldn’t do that to you.” Tristan added.

 

“I don’t believe this…” Baekhyun grabbed on the chair to steady himself.

 

“Ellie, listen to me. The reason why you need to come back is because Amanda is planning to change Edward’s last will and testament regarding his possessions,” Baekhyun looked up at him. “He gave all of his possessions under your name.”

 

“…what?”

 

Tristan walked closer to Baekhyun. “The Van der Gilt Corporation, all of our hotels, our restaurants, everything.”

 

“But you said he’s dying? He’s not dead, is he?”

 

“Yes, but he can’t move anymore. He’s been in the hospital for 6 months now. Amanda took over the business while he’s gone. When Amanda found out about the last will and testament, she was furious. She wants the money, Ellie. If you don’t come back, Leo, Arthur and I would be living in the streets and all of your father’s hard work will be put to waste.” Tristan said. “You need to claim what’s yours.”

 

Baekhyun lowered his head and pressed his fingers on his temple. “I’ll…I need time to think about this.”

 

Tristan smiled and brushed Baekhyun’s hair. “Okay.”

 

--

 

Tristan is as tall as Chanyeol. He has the same auburn hair as Baekhyun but different color of eyes. Baekhyun’s is ebony black while Tristan’s eyes are a shade of blue, like the sea waking up in the morning. Luhan ended up entertaining him when Baekhyun locked himself up in his room. Luhan heard their conversation given that he didn’t really leave, he just stayed at the opposite side of the wall. He heard everything, including the possibility that Baekhyun would have to leave him and go back to London. He knew it would happen but not this soon, not out of the blue. But he doesn’t have a say in it. He’s only a friend.

 

“Here,” Luhan placed the tea carefully on the table in front of the couch. “It might help your jet lag. When did you arrive here, by the way?”

 

“Last night. I didn’t know Yixing would be around close by so I had to wait for him to leave.”

 

Luhan nodded. “You’re really fluent in Korean.”

 

“Yeah, we all had to learn it. When Ellie arrived at our household, he wouldn’t talk to any of us. He’ll just stick around his dad and his pet dog. He’ll just nod and shake his head. So we figured we should learn Korean to be able to communicate with him.” Tristan clicked his tongue. “He looked so scared. His mother had just died then.”

 

“I see. What was he like when he was a kid?”

 

“Well…he was really shy at first. Whenever we try to approach him, he’ll hide behind his dog. His dog was bigger than him. But he was really cute. He looked like a puppy. When he finally felt familiar with us, he kept on pranking the maids. He knew the maids couldn’t get mad at him so he does it all the time.” Tristan chuckled.  “Where did you meet him, by the way? I’m very curious.”

 

Luhan sat up straight. “Oh, uh, I met him in Shanghai.”

 

“Oh, China.”

 

“Yeah. It’s kind of a long story. You should just ask Baekhyun, I mean, Ellie…Elliot.”

 

“Oh it’s fine if you want to call him Baekhyun. We always have trouble pronouncing his Korean name so we just stick to his English name.” Tristan chuckled.

 

“Yeah, he told me about it. I sometimes have troubles too so I just call him B.”

 

Tristan nodded. “How long is he going to be in there? I don’t really have much free time. I’m a doctor. I just snuck out.”

 

Luhan stood up immediately. “I’ll check on him,”

 

“Thank you,”

 

Luhan smiled before walking upstairs to Baekhyun’s room.

 

--

 

There’s nothing harder than having to make a choice and you’re alone because the person you wants to be with the most is gone. It would’ve been easier, if he could see his face and hear his voice, but he’s not here. And he’s alone. He’s on his own. No matter how much he wants to convince himself to stay, there’s a voice inside his head that keeps on saying that if he chooses to stay, things will get more complicated. But even now, where he’s still here, it’s already complicated.

 

“It would be easier to make a choice if not for these stupid feelings,” Baekhyun whispered to himself while clenching his fist. He really did try. He tried so hard to stop the feelings from developing but there was no stopping love. And he hates it. He hates himself.

 

He buried his face in between his arms. He’s seated on the floor, leaning on his bed. It’s his favorite spot, because from that spot he can see Chanyeol’s room. Sometimes when he’s not staying at Chanyeol’s house, he would sit on that same spot for hours, just staring outside, reminding him of their little communication using sketchbooks and pens. But during those times, Chanyeol’s busy. He always forgets that even though Chanyeol’s an idiot, he’s still a CEO. But even so, even if he is a CEO, he treats him no differently. Even if he is a CEO, he laughs like a normal person, he often makes mistakes like a normal person, he bangs his head like a normal person, and he’s clumsy just like every normal person. He’s just…him. It took Baekhyun this long to realize that the reason he’s comfortable around Chanyeol even though wealthy people always intimidated him is because he doesn’t act like one.

 

And that’s why he loves him.

 

Because he makes those fears go away.

 

He’s the reason he wants to stay.

 

But also the reason he needs to leave.

 

Baekhyun grabbed the notebook he hid under his bed and browsed through it. He’s not even sure why he has this notebook but he always had problems defining his feelings so he just writes them.

 

* 사랑 하는 더, 더 당신이 얻을 무서 워 하기 때문에 더 중요 한 그 사람은 그 사람의 손실을 더욱을 다치게 될 것 이다.

 

His hand is shaky and when the tears fell, that’s when he realized how the phrases are true. It does hurt. It hurts like hell knowing that in this moment you’re here, sitting and worrying about tomorrow and the next you’re gone.

 

 

“You really want this deal? The Van der Gilt deal?”

 

“Yeah.” Chanyeol nodded. “Yeah I do.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I want to make my father proud. He died before I can do so. But I’m sure he’s watching me and he’ll be proud of me. It’ll be a start. It’s not just that. If I got this, Kai wouldn’t have to leave the company. It’s his idea in the first place. If ever I got the deal, I’ll give him the credits. He wouldn’t have to worry about his reputation.”

 

“I see.”

 

“The company’s sales are declining too. In 8 years, there’s a possibility of going bankrupt. I wouldn’t want that to happen. Imagine how many families are depending on me to feed them.”

 

“You’re very…kind. For a CEO.”

 

 

When you start to love, that person becomes more important than yourself.

 

There was a knock on the door.

 

“B?”

 

Luhan opened the door slowly.

 

Baekhyun turned to him with a smile. “Hey,” But it’s obvious he’s been crying.

 

“Hey,” Luhan smiled and sat beside him. “You okay?”

 

“Would you believe me if I said yeah?”

 

Luhan only shrugged. “You like this spot?”

 

“Yeah, I can see him from here. I can see him walking around his room, talking to someone on the phone. It’s like the only time I’m reminded that he’s actually a CEO.”

 

Luhan chuckled. “Yeah. He looks like some…idiot or something.”

 

“Well…” Baekhyun said with a heavy sigh. “That’s what makes him special.”

 

It was oddly quiet It was a start. This is what it will be like without Chanyeol, Luhan, Kai or Sehun. This is how it will feel like when he decides to go back to London.

 

“What are you thinking about, B?” Luhan asked. “What’s your decision?”

 

“I don’t know…”

 

“Well, that doesn’t sound good.”

 

“I don’t want to go but…my dad. My brothers.”

 

“Then go,”

 

“But I can’t.”

 

“Why not?” No answer. “What’s holding you back Baekhyun?”

 

“Everything. Everything around here,” Baekhyun bit his lip to stop the tears. “Chanyeol, you, this house, my room….everything. I don’t want to leave everything here. Would you want me to leave?”

 

Luhan stared at him, slightly taken aback by the question. No, he doesn’t want his best friend to go. If it wasn’t for Baekhyun who smacked some sense in him during that fateful night in China, he’d be dealing drugs or selling right now. If it wasn’t for Baekhyun’s tantrums, he wouldn’t even wonder about his own careless decisions. If it wasn’t for Baekhyun, who was a stranger to him three years ago, he wouldn’t be sitting here right now. Heaven knows he’d be dead right now. And he wants to repay him for everything he has done to change the course of his life by staying with him and supporting him all the way through.

 

“You’re an idiot,” Luhan did as much as flicker Baekhyun’s forehead since he doesn’t want to make the situation worse. “You’re not actually leaving,” Baekhyun pouted and covered his forehead. “You’re only like…visiting. Yeah. Visiting. You’re visiting your home to take care of some things and before you know it, you’ll be back here, having to put up with Sehun’s stupidity, Kai’s weirdness, my beauty—“ There was a snort. “—and Chanyeol.”

 

“Just think of it as a favor for yourself. It’s been three years since you’ve seen your father. You don’t want to regret living everyday of your life because you failed to reunite with your father before he’s buried six feet under, right?”

 

“You had me at father,” Baekhyun leaned his head down on the bed’s edge and sighed really really heavy, like he was exhaling his thoughts along with the carbon dioxide. “I guess you’re right.” He nodded. “Yeah, maybe I’m making a big deal out of it. I’ll just go back here as soon as everything’s fixed back home. Then I’ll explain everything to Chanyeol and yeah, he probably won’t forgive me until next year but it’s worth the try. I just hope he’ll understand, you know?”

 

“He’ll not only understand, he’ll also forgive you. He loves you,”

 

“He told you too?” Baekhyun chuckled. “That idiot,”

 

“Yeah…he’s an idiot,” They go on laughing. “Your brother’s waiting downstairs,”

 

Baekhyun groaned and stood up. “I forgot he has like, a loooong patience meter. Pisses me off,” He was grabbing the doorknob when he turned back to Luhan. “Aren’t you coming down?”

 

“No, I’ll just stay here. He intimidates me,”

 

“All the ladies used to say that to me,” Baekhyun opened the door and shook his head. “He will never get laid,”

 

Luhan doesn’t know when did Baekhyun’s words started to fade but as soon as the door clicked close, he found himself crying.

 

--

 

Tristan was walking around the windows, talking to someone, when Baekhyun arrived downstairs. His back was facing him and it kind of reminded him of the usual sight he sees every morning when he greets Tristan at breakfast before going to school. Tristan is always so busy. But then Arthur would appear out of the blue and jump on his back, interrupting Tristan’s call. And he remembers himself laughing out loud while Tristan scolded Arthur. In the end, Tristan would take them to school.

 

When Tristan turned around, he saw Baekhyun standing by the foot of the stairs. “I’ll call you back,” Tristan immediately ended the call and gave Baekhyun a warm smile. “Hey,”

 

Baekhyun took a deep breath. “I’m coming home,”

 

Tristan blinked, quite obvious that he wasn’t used to Baekhyun being so straightforward. “G-great! You sure about this, right?”

 

Baekhyun crossed his arms. “Yes, Tristan, I’m sure,”

 

“Alright. I’m going to book our flights for tomorrow noon. I’ll pick you up before noon. Okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

Tristan ruffled his hair and smiled. “You’re a big boy now. I hope everything’s going to be fine.”

 

“Everything’s going to be fine.”

 

Tristan chuckled. “Since when were you this strong?”

 

I’m not.

 

I break easily.

 

But I try not to.

 

For the people I love.

 

--

 

The rest of the morning was spent with Baekhyun changing channels on TV and Luhan locking himself up inside his room, silently crying. Baekhyun knows but he won’t tell. Luhan has always been secretive. He played detective a lot of times before he finally found out about Luhan’s family history, why he despises rich people and why he lived alone when they met. It was a sensitive topic but when it was finally brought up—it had to happen eventually—Luhan just smiled and said, “I’m glad you know.” That’s when it occurred to him that Luhan doesn’t speak too often of his feelings either.

 

Nonetheless, it was getting boring. Aside from the fact that Baekhyun’s stomach is twisting, making him uncomfortable, because of the worries that don’t seem to go away, he’s so so bored. He thought about playing with Brad Pitt, but the dog is covered with mud and now it’s just sleeping inside the dog house.

 

There was a light bulb.

 

Yeah, he could do that.

 

A minute later, he’s standing outside the dog house. “Wait, didn’t I use to bathe my dog back in London?” Baekhyun thought for a moment. “This should be easy,” He knelt down and knocked on the hard board of the dog house. “Braddy, come out!”

 

In turn, Brad Pitt curled further inside.

 

“Why you…”

 

But Baekhyun DOES NOT give up.

 

So a minute later, he’s kicking the dog house, forcing Brad Pitt to run outside in shock.

 

Baekhyun immediately hooked a lace on Brad Pitt’s collar and started walking. “Now come here. I’m giving you a bath.” Brad Pitt whimpered but it followed anyway. “Stop whimpering. It’s not like you’re gonna die. It’s just water.”

 

Baekhyun stopped by the bushes and started looking for the faucet where there was a host attached on it. Eventually, he dropped Brad Pitt’s while looking for it and then somewhere Luhan’s voice came asking ‘What are you doing?’ and then he realized Brad Pitt ran away and so he yelled at Luhan, “Lulu catch him!”.  So as soon as Brad Pitt passed him, he jumped on it.

 

“I caught him! I caught him! Baek!”

 

“I can see that.” Baekhyun walked over and grabbed Brad Pitt’s lace.

 

Luhan stood up and brushed the dirt off his clothes. “Okay, now I’m dirty.”

 

“Maybe I should give you a bath too.” Baekhyun snickered then walked to the faucet.

 

Luhan followed him. “You’re giving Brad Pitt a bath?”

 

“Yep. Hold this.” Baekhyun gave Luhan the host, the end actually since it’s too long, and went to turn the faucet on.

 

“There’s no water,”

 

Baekhyun turned the faucet again.

 

“Still no water,”

 

Baekhyun turned the faucet even more and…

 

“There’s no—UWAAAHHH!!!” The water, like Kai’s vomit, just splashed out of that small little hole and ed up Luhan’s face. “TURN IT OFF!” But Baekhyun was laughing hysterically on the grass. “BYUN BAEKHYUN!”

 

“Alright, alright!” Baekhyun turned the faucet off while holding on to his tummy for dear lord because he can’t stop laughing especially when Luhan looks like a wet cat now.

 

“Stop laughing.”

 

“Okay.” But of course, Baekhyun just laughed louder.

 

“Seriously, stop,”

 

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA—“

 

Luhan faced the host to Baekhyun, causing the brunette to choke on the water since he was laughing so hard his mouth doesn’t even close.

 

“YAH!!”

 

Okay, now Luhan’s the one who’s laughing so hard.

 

“Stop laughing,”

 

“Okay.” HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

 

“Seriously stop.”

 

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA.”

 

Sehun’s car came in then, parking slowly in front of their house, whilst wondering why Baekhyun and Luhan are taking turns in splashing water at each other. He immediately turned off the engine and hopped off his car to greet the two but changed his mind when he saw Brad Pitt running and jumping towards him. “Oh no—“ Sehun fell to ground with Brad Pitt hopping and wagging its tail on top of him.

 

“Wait,” Baekhyun paused. “I feel like we’re forgetting something.”

 

Luhan finally stopped laughing. “Oh,”

 

“Where’s Braddy?”

 

Baekhyun and Luhan looked around in unison. “BRADEYYYY!!!”

 

Brad Pitt immediately barked.

 

 “OH THERE YOU ARE! Come here boy!”

 

Sehun groaned in pain while sitting up.

 

Luhan squinted when he spotted Sehun on the ground. “Sehun?”

 

Sehun raised an arm. “I’m fine! Thank you for asking!” Baekhyun rolled his eyes and proceeded to start giving Brad Pitt a bath.

 

Luhan immediately ran towards him and reached an arm. “What happened? What are you doing here?”

 

Sehun let Luhan pull him up while he in turn, pushes himself up. He brushed off the dirt from his uniform before looking up at Luhan to answer. “I just came by. Classes are canceled. I don’t really know why.”

 

Luhan unconsciously stares at Sehun’s school uniform. He rarely sees him wearing one so he was still getting a hang of it but it never gave a different effect on him. Sehun in a school uniform reminds him that he’s past the age and that the person he’s hanging out with is still a kid even though Sehun insists that he’s already an adult.

 

“Why…are you staring at my uniform?”

 

Luhan chuckled. “Oh nothing,”

 

“AHH!”

 

Luhan and Sehun immediately turned when they heard Baekhyun’s shriek and saw him sitting on the ground with Brad Pitt running around biting the host.

 

“STOP YOU DAMN DOG!”

 

“I…think we should help him,” Sehun murmured.

 

“I think so too.” Luhan turned to him and tilted his head. “Come on,”

 

The rest of the noon was spent like this; chasing, running, and praying that Brad Pitt starts to cooperate with them humans to make everything simple. Their lunch consisted of some bread, leftover biscuits and water. Sehun even started taking photos on his phone and eventually they all started to chip in for selcas. It was kind of insulting how Brad Pitt would behave whenever they take a picture of him but never whenever they want to wash him. Baekhyun thinks this is one of the things he’ll miss when he leaves—being free and happy.

 

It was almost three when they finally finished giving Brad Pitt the bath of his life. Guaranteed, they are all exhausted, which is why they ended up lying on the grass, letting the mud stick on to their clothes.

 

“Well, that was fun,” Sehun said, still catching his breath. He raised his arms to see how much dirt has gotten on him and realized that they were almost like a tattoo. “Guess I have to take a bath soon,”

 

“Bath?” He hears Baekhyun ask. “You mean this?” And a second later, there’s water being splashed on him from the host. He immediately bolted, leaving Baekhyun and Luhan to laugh hard. “You should’ve seen your face!”

 

“Hyung!” Sehun scratched his head.

 

Luhan looked down to wipe the water on his arm when he heard Baekhyun’s loud laughter, making him turn his head to the brunette. It was always nice to watch Baekhyun laugh because he rarely does, well he laughs a lot, but now wholeheartedly like this. He has that beautiful eye smile that he shows exclusively to the people he’s close to.  

 

Baekhyun thinks he’s the only person who has something to miss.

 

He’s not aware that there are more people who’ll miss him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dinner was composed of Baekhyun’s favorite dish which he cooked himself and a mixed fragrance of newly bathed bodies (Sehun had to borrow shirts but none of theirs fit him thus he ended up with a shirt too tight for his body built making him look like some pre-schooler-wanna be). It was kind of a special evening. Sehun started to think something was odd but maybe he just came by the pretties in a perfect time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After dinner, Baekhyun had immediately excused himself to pack his things but he didn’t actually say it out loud. Sehun was sure by then that something was really wrong, given that expression Baekhyun had when he excused himself and Luhan’s awkward silence afterwards. He wasn’t even sure if he’s allowed to notice these kinds of things, even wonder why. But Luhan touched his hand and looked at him with a hurtful expression saying something along the words of ‘He’s leaving’ and ‘There’s something you should know’. Technically, there’s nothing to hide now. Sehun knew he couldn’t do anything more than comfort Luhan because even though he wanted to stop Baekhyun from leaving, he’s out of this issue and he has no control over it. He can just watch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With that said, driving Baekhyun to the airport is even hard for Sehun. Nobody said anything on the way and he thinks that maybe it’s good too because there will be no unfinished conversations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The walk to the departure area is even more awkward. Sehun carried all of Baekhyun’s bags while Luhan stays close to him. He started to rethink his previous judgment then. Maybe it’s better for them to talk because then Baekhyun’ll have something to think of even after he left. The voice will keep playing on his head and he wouldn’t feel the pain of leaving that much. Maybe. Just maybe.

 

They immediately stopped when they saw Tristan waiting. Sehun on the other hand is wondering.

 

“Attention passengers boarding on flight 372A to London, England, please proceed to gate 3 immediately.”

 

“So,” Baekhyun huffed. “I guess this is it,”

 

Luhan curved a smile to Baekhyun. “B, promise we’ll Skype every day, okay?”

 

“I promise. Don’t make me cry! This is only a visit, remember?”

 

Luhan chuckled. “Take care, alright?”

 

Baekhyun immediately pulled Luhan into a tight hug. “Thank you, Lulu. When I come back, I’ll bring lots of Disney collectibles for you.”

 

“You coming back is enough.”

 

“Why are you so cheesy!” Baekhyun laughed. He spotted Sehun standing awkwardly, probably waiting for his turn, so he just grabbed Sehun to join them. “Come here, maknae! Group hug!” Baekhyun ruffled his hair.

 

“Hyung! Not my hair!”

 

“Oh shut up,”

 

Luhan pulled away eventually to give space to Baekhyun to mess around Sehun.

 

“We had fights but you’re one of a kind. Make sure you graduate, okay? And when I come back, I want you to massage me.”

 

“I’ll massage you anytime hyung!”

 

Baekhyun giggled and ruffled Sehun’s hair again. “You really are cute.”

 

Surprisingly, even until now, Baekhyun doesn’t understand why he’s open up to these people.

 

“Elliot, come on,” Tristan called from afar. He was now carrying Baekhyun’s bags.

 

“I’ll go now,” Baekhyun gave the two of quick hugs before following Tristan.

 

“Bye B!”

 

“Bye hyung!”

 

But something doesn’t feel right.

 

Baekhyun stopped midway and looked around, as if searching for someone, though he wasn’t really sure why.

 

Kai.

 

“Kai?”

 

“This is the final boarding call for passengers Mr. Byun Baekhyun and Mr. Tristan Van der Gilt booked on flight 372A to London, England. Please proceed to gate 3 immediately.”

 

“Ellie, come on.”

 

Baekhyun took one last glance around the airport before ignoring that gut feeling. He was almost sure Kai would suddenly appear. It’s been days since he last saw Kai. It would be weird to disappear without telling him. But he figured he could just leave that to Luhan and Sehun.

 

He walked straight.

 

This time, he’s not leaving something.

 

He’s going back to something.

 

To London.

 

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

 

 

There was an unfamiliar feeling inside him the moment he stepped outside the airport and he can see his homeland, second homeland to be exact, and breathe the same air, communicate with the same people in English and just…be back. It felt different. It didn’t feel a bit welcoming but nonetheless, he felt as if there’s something to look forward to from this moment on. That from now on, he doesn’t have any control of his actions or his future, because in this place, he’s not Byun Baekhyun. He’s Elliot Van der Gilt. Elliot is kind of…different.

 

Elliot wears dangly branded clothes. His hair is always styled and brushed by the maids. In school, Elliot is known to be that genius with money. He walks around London with two or more bodyguards tailing behind him. He travels not by car but by limo. He doesn’t carry cash but a number of credit cards. He only has limited friends—two to be exact. He doesn’t smile to anyone because he was superior to everyone else. Elliot is…a complete opposite of Byun Baekhyun.

 

That’s why Baekhyun ran away.

 

Baekhyun watches from inside the car while Tristan converses with some men. He figures they’re his bodyguards. What a pain in the . A minute later, Tristan finally comes and sits beside him inside the limo. “Sorry about that Ellie,”

 

“It’s okay,” The car finally starts moving. “Tristan, where are we going?”

 

“We’re going to the hotel,” Tristan answered simply. “I figured you could use some rest—“ He paused when he felt Baekhyun’s hand gripping his arm and he has that look on his face. “What is it?”

 

“I want to see my dad,”

 

Tristan smiled. “Alright,”

 

“Thank you,”

 

“You don’t have to be so formal with me. It’s not like I didn’t bathe you when you were a kid before,”

 

“YA!”

 

“You even scratched my arm because you didn’t want to take a bath!”

 

“Shut up!”

 

“And you were very ticklish too!”

 

“Stop talking!”

 

“You would cry afterwards!”

 

“TRISTAN!”

 

“Hahahaha. Alright alright.”

 

“Damn you.”

 

--

 

They arrived at the hospital fifteen minutes later. Tristan asked Baekhyun to wear his hood and cover his face when they walk inside without actually explaining clearly why but Baekhyun followed nonetheless. The hospital was sort of familiar. Baekhyun’s sure it’s in his memory but he couldn’t point out what memory.

 

They keep walking, pausing now and then because Tristan was convinced that greeting other doctors is a necessity even in this situation. It wasn’t until they were inside the elevator when Baekhyun finally remembered the hospital. Tristan works here. He remembered Tristan bringing him here years ago for a check-up.

 

Wow, it changed a lot in just three years.

 

They arrive at the 9th floor.

 

“Doctor Van der Gilt!”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes when they had to stop again.

 

Tristan smiled to his fellow doctor. “Doctor Amy,”

 

Huh. If you seek Amy. Baekhyun snorted silently.

 

“When did you arrive?”

 

“Uh, just a while ago.” Tristan answered.

 

“So, how was Korea?”

 

“I’m sorry Doctor Amy, I’m a bit in a hurry right now. Maybe we could talk again later,”

 

“Oh of course! No problem. See you later then,” Doctor Amy immediately took her leave.

 

Finally.

 

Baekhyun immediately followed Tristan when he started walking. They made a few turns until they finally arrived at an isolated room (Baekhyun guesses it’s the biggest in this floor). More importantly, this is his father’s room. He clenched his fists in hope to steady his heartbeat but it’s been years since he last saw his father. Just imagining him lying on the bed, almost as lifeless as a dead vegetable, was hard enough how much more seeing him personally? He hasn’t even thought about what to say to this father. This wasn’t how he imagined their reunion was going to be like.

 

Tristan had already opened the door before he can even prepare himself. He refused to walk in. From outside he can hear monitors beeping and…just that. “Come on, Ellie,”

 

Baekhyun walks in slowly, pulling his hoodie back down in the process. The closer he walks to his father’s bed, the more he notices his wrinkled toes, and his wrinkled hands, his hair that composed mostly of white strands now, and when he’s finally arrived beside the bed, he can clearly see his father’s tired face.

 

“Dad?” Baekhyun says softly, touching his father’s arm.

 

When his father moved his head, next his eyes, he doesn’t realize he was holding his breath. It was only when his father looked at him with a smile that he felt his heart tighten. “Ellie, you’re back,”

 

“Dad!” The tears are just flowing now as if they were kept hidden for a long time. Tristan just smiles. “Dad I’m so sorry!”

 

“Sshh. You don’t have to…apologize, son.” His father tells him in between tired breaths. “You’re…here now.”

 

“I’m so sorry…”

 

His father lifted his hand slowly to touch his cheek. “Stop…crying. You’re a big boy now…right? You’ve grown a lot…Ellie.”

 

Baekhyun holds his father’s hand tightly, as if letting go of it would mean letting go of his father altogether. “I-I heard about…what happened, Dad,”

 

His father smiles. “Tristan is making…you worry…again? That kid.”

 

Baekhyun sniffs his tears in so he could converse properly with his father. “What…What do you want me to do, Dad?”

 

“Just—“ His father coughs on his oxygen mask. “Just do…what you think…is right—“ His father coughs again but louder this time, until he was finally choking and the monitor starts beeping loudly.

 

“Dad? Dad?! Tristan what’s happening?!”

 

Tristan was staring at the monitor while pressing on their father’s pulse area. “I’m not getting any pulse! Ellie call the nurse!”

 

Baekhyun immediately dashed outside and yelled for the nurses who immediately ran inside the room at the first sight of panic. They were all scattered around his father now, each one doing different things.

 

“He’s not getting enough air!”

 

“His heart is not beating!”

 

“Clear!”

 

“Again!”

 

“Clear!”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t know when the words and the sounds started to fade but there was one thing he’s sure of, everything made sense again when the monitor started beeping endlessly. He can feel his breath slowly leaving his lungs. He can see everything freeze. He can see a part of his world slowly crumbling into pieces.

 

“Time of death,”

 

“No,” He whispers.

 

“3:15 PM.”

 

“NO! HE’S NOT DEAD!” Baekhyun pushed all the nurses away, all the apparatuses, everything to get to his father’s cold boy. “DAD? DAD CAN YOU HEAR ME?! DAD!” He’s just randomly shaking his father’s body now, still hoping that any minute now, his father will open his eyes and gaze at his son’s face. “DAD!”

 

“Elliot, stop!” Tristan came up behind him and started pulling him away.

 

“DAD WAKE UP!”

 

“ELLIOT THAT’S ENOUGH!” Tristan grabbed both of Baekhyun’s hand while his free hand grabbed his waist to restrict his actions given that he was starting to shove everything away then kicking and pushing. Baekhyun’s painful cries still surfaces, even after Tristan had successfully taken him out of the room.

 

There was no excuse to this.

 

For a son who has only seen his father after three years, watching his father die feels nothing like a fated reunion but a betrayal. It’s like there was hope and then in a blink of an eye, there wasn’t anymore.

 

What’s even sadder is that this is just the beginning.

 

 

 

--

 

 

It wasn’t until after countless persuasions that Baekhyun finally agreed to come to the hotel. He wanted to stay with his father but seeing Tristan he realized that he’s not the only person who had lost a father. There are just stronger people and he isn’t one of them.

 

The room is nice. If it wasn’t for the fact that he had just witnessed his father catch his last breathe two hours ago, he would’ve actually appreciated the majestic interior of the place. The hotel is one of their businesses but Baekhyun couldn’t seem to feel any sort of connection, there isn’t even a memory. Baekhyun lies down on the bed while his brother carries their bags inside. He wants to stop thinking.

 

He grabbed the remote in hope that maybe watching something random on the television can pull him away from his misery, even just for a tad moment. However, as soon as the screen opens and revealed Chanyeol getting interviewed, he’s starting to rethink the purpose of him coming back to London.

 

Chanyeol. That noodle-head bastard. Smiling and talking like there’s nothing wrong while he’s here, eyes red from too much crying. He wants to see him. He wants Chanyeol to hug him tight and whisper sweet nothings to him just for the sake of making him feel better and secured. He wants Chanyeol to see feel his hurt because it’s unfair how everything in his world is starting to fall apart while the man he loves, while Chanyeol’s world stays solid.

 

Life is unfair.

 

Chanyeol’s interview finally ended.

 

“Now we can see Miss Amanda Van der Gilt with her son, Elliot—“

 

Baekhyun crooked his eyebrows. “What the hell?” He exclaims when a face much much alike as his appeared.

 

 

“—entering the company building.”

 

Tristan walked closer to the screen. “Oh damn,”

 

“Who the hell is that?”

 

“Amanda’s minion, of course.” Tristan shakes his head as he continues watching. “Like I said, she wants to change the last will and testament. Especially now that our dad’s dead. There is only one way to do that. Which is to make you, the sole hair, to change it himself. But since you were gone missing, it seems like Amanda had to resort to finding someone to stand as you and act like you.”

 

“That witch.” Baekhyun bit his lip.

 

Tristan walked over the edge of the bed Baekhyun’s sitting at and knelt on the floor. “Ellie, I’m only going to ask this question once. Do you want to stop Amanda?”

 

There was no point in dragging the question further because that’s the reason why he came back in the first place but his father’s last words played in his mind.

 

“Just do what you think is right.”

 

Everything he will do, from this moment on, he swore, is the right thing.

 

“Yes,”

 

Tristan smiled. “Alright, Ellie, listen to me carefully. I’ve thought of this plan thoroughly. We don’t have enough time so I need to tell you this now. The only way we can prove that you’re the real Elliot Van der Gilt for you to appear at the day of the banquet where Amanda and that impostor will be present and inform Yixing beforehand so that he can back us up.”

 

Chanyeol’s going to be there.

 

“No, wait, I can’t do that,”

 

Tristan crooked his eyebrows. “What? Ellie, we don’t have any more options. This is the only way.”

 

“B-but I can’t,”

 

“Why not? Is there something you’re not telling me?”

 

“I—“ I don’t want to see Chanyeol’s face when that happens because I know I won’t be able to take it.

 

He wants to tell Tristan.

 

He wants to tell Tristan everything.

 

He wants to tell Tristan how this is a bigger sacrifice for him than he thinks.

 

“I want to make my father proud. He died before I can do so. But I’m sure he’s watching me and he’ll be proud of me. It’ll be a start. It’s not just that. If I got this, Kai wouldn’t have to leave the company. It’s his idea in the first place. If ever I got the deal, I’ll give him the credits. He wouldn’t have to worry about his reputation.”

 

But...

 

“The company’s sales are declining too. In 8 years, there’s a possibility of going bankrupt. I wouldn’t want that to happen. Imagine how many families are depending on me to feed them.”

 

He can’t risk damaging Chanyeol’s reputation by revealing his connection with him.

 

“I’m sorry. F-Forget about it. I was just…surprised,” Baekhyun looked away and breathed heavily, trying to take in everything, including the regrets.

 

There’s that relief on Tristan’s face again. “I understand. I’m sorry you have to go through all of this. If only—“

 

“It’s okay. I’m okay.” Baekhyun reassured.

 

Tristan sighed heavily. “You’ve become so strong.”

 

Yeah.

 

When life gives you arrows, you ing break them.

 

Tristan stood up and walked slowly to the door. “You know how much I don’t want to see you sad like this. So to make you smile,” He opened the door and immediately, like pet dogs running to their masters, his little brothers Arthur and Leo ran inside and jumped on him on the bed while yelling his name.

 

“Oh my god! You guys!” Baekhyun’s eyes looked like they were going to fall off its socket but it was nice seeing him smile like this. “I’ve missed you!”

 

“We missed you too Ellie!” Arthur and Leo yell in unison and then hugged Baekhyun tightly.

 

Baekhyun laughed and laughed and laughed. He pulled the youngest, Leo, to his lap and ruffled Arthur’s hair. “Wah, you’ve grown taller Arthur.”

 

“Of course I would! I think I’m even taller than you!”

 

“Aish, this kid,” Baekhyun then looked down to Leo. “Aww, our baby has grown too!”

 

Leo giggled. “I’ll grow as tall as Baekhyun hyung!”

 

Baekhyun paused.

 

“I taught him that!” Arthur said proudly.

 

There was a sudden realization.

 

“Baekhyun hyung!”

 

“Hyung!”

 

Baekhyun lowered his head and started chuckling, remembering how Sehun is similar to Leo.

 

“Hey, what’s up B?”

 

“No, you don’t. Modeling is like the part-time job of everything. You don’t even walk in the runway.”

 

And how similar Luhan is to Arthur.

 

Now he’s just laughing the tears away.

 

Because he understands now how he even managed to make friends with Luhan and Sehun.

 

This is all so insane.

 

Having his younger brothers with him is probably one of the best things to happen yet since he came back to London. It creates the illusion that although there are worse things to come, there’s still room for moments like this. And for the next hours, he can be happy.

 

Then After those next hours, he’ll have to face Yixing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

* The more you love, the more you get scared because the more important that person is, the loss of that person will hurt even more.

 


 

a/n:

ohgod so frustrating

like, i want the dramas to end quickly so i'll just update fast

do me a favor and punch me in the face if this doesn't get a happy ending

 

oh yeah i picked Elliot because it means

'With Strength and Right' or 'Bravely and Truly' or "Boldly and Rightly"

cr. Wikipedia

LMAO

and also THERE IS NO WAY I WILL USE BERNARD

 

anyway, i just want to ask if you guys want a special chapter about baek's past life with his brothers and yixing?

no?

all four of them are not related by the way. amanda's son from baekhyun's daddy is only leo.

SUBBIES I LOVE YOU YEYYY <3

-gelie