No Sunshine and City Lights

Perfectly Imbalanced

 


 

 

The car ride consisted mostly of Chanyeol trying to keep himself awake, Yuan doing those train and airplane imitations, sometimes even reaching his arm outside the window that Baekhyun had to constantly remind him not to do that because it’s dangerous but the kid’s hard-headed and the worst part of all was his random shuffling of the car’s built-in radio, pressing buttons to find a nice channel to listen to, but there’s no channel other than that channel for the oldies where they play oldies songs and oldies instrumental songs and thank god they arrived because if he had to listen to those oldies songs for another hour, he’ll cut his head off and throw it outside to freak any car passing by.  That would’ve been entertaining.

 

Chanyeol slowly parked his car outside the resort, along with the rest. They sighed. Finally.

 

“Alright, it’s…” Chanyeol checked his watch.  “12:34 PM. We’ll go grab lunch first then check in the hotel. Does that sound alright?”

 

Baekhyun and Yuan nodded. Yuan went out of the car first, Chanyeol next after turning the engine off and Baekhyun never because the damn seat belt won’t come off. “Baekhyun, come on,” Chanyeol called.

 

“Chanyeol, the seat belt,”

 

Chanyeol bowed down to the level of the window to see what Baekhyun’s up to. “What?”

 

“The seat belt won’t come off,”

 

Chanyeol ran to his side immediately to help him with whatever’s the problem. Baekhyun has been constantly pulling and pushing the seatbelt violently that he knows he looks so stupid. Chanyeol caught his hand so he pulled away his. “What’s wrong with this thing…” He murmurs with a groan as he tries to pull each sides of the belt apart, with Baekhyun sticking like glue on the seat because Chanyeol was only a mere centimeter close to him. The approximity was hitching his breath. He couldn’t even move.

 

Chanyeol moved forward, his hair brushing slightly between Baekhyun’s lips and nose. He smelled of shampoo, of ivory, Baekhyun noticed. He likes Chanyeol’s scent. He looked away. One last loud groan and there was a click. Chanyeol sighed and retreated back up. “There,” He breathed. “Have to get this thing fixed,”

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat and pushed the seatbelt away from his chest. “Thanks,”

 

When he was getting off the car, he saw Yuan climbing up a big snowman statue just across them, one of the statues randomly set up at the parking lot. He yelled in instinct. “Yuan! That’s dangerous!” Without even closing the door, he ran towards the statue. “Yuan!”

 

Yuan glanced at him but ignored him. He kept on climbing up.

 

Baekhyun turned to Chanyeol for help. “Chanyeol!”

 

Chanyeol turned after securing his car. “Let him be, he’s a kid,”

 

“But he’s going to fall!”

 

“Relax,” Chanyeol crooned. “He won’t fall,”

 

Baekhyun gasped when Yuan slipped slightly. “That’s it! Yuan, get down here! NOW!”

 

“Baek—“

 

“CHANYEOL GET HIM DOWN HERE! ARE YOU GOING TO WAIT FOR HIM TO FALL BEFORE YOU CARRY HIM DOWN?!”

 

Chanyeol winced at Baekhyun’s loud shriek. “Alright, alright,” He walked at the foot of the statue. “Yuan! Come on, kid,” He lifted his arms. “It’s dangerous. Come on. Jump. I’ll catch you.”

 

Yuan pouted and hesitated for a bit but seeing that worried expression on Baekhyun’s face, he didn’t have any choice. He pushed his body away and fell on Chanyeol’s arms with a loud thud that he felt like he hit something. It was probably nothing. “Good boy,” Chanyeol murmured and coughed. “Come on, say sorry to Baekhyun hyung,” He whispered to the boy.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Cause you made him worry,”

 

Chanyeol turned sideways to Yuan was facing Baekhyun who was just standing there with his arms crossed.

 

“Baekhyun hyung, I’m sorry,”

 

Baekhyun denied for a while, until his eyes found Yuan and Chanyeol both looking at him, with Chanyeol carring the little boy in his arms like a real father and Yuan clinging on for dear life. He remembered how he used to hug his mother so tight when he was a kid. He wouldn’t even let go.

 

He chuckled and reached a hand over Yuan’s head. He ruffled his hair. “Don’t be so careless next time, okay?” Yuan nodded and grinned.

 

“Aww, look, gay parents. How cute.” A passerby said.

 

Hold it.

 

Hold ing it.

 

What did she just say?

 

“Baekhyun, relax,” Chanyeol whispered.

 

Baekhyun was clenching his fist.

 

Gay parents.

 

Gay ing parents.

 

Unbelievable.

 

Un-ing-believable.

 

“Let it go,”

 

Yuan pouted. “I’m hungry,”

 

Baekhyun inhaled deeply, closing his eyes, to let go of his temper. “Okay,” He said, opening his eyes. “I’m okay,” He kept repeating in his head like a mantra.

 

“You’re okay,” Chanyeol seconds. “And we’re hungry, come on,”

 

--

 

“Just fins.” With all the glitters and the frozen-ish water splash and a picture of a mermaid smiling and oblivious to the fact that she’ll be cooked. “Just fins.” Baekhyun repeated, rolling the words in his mouth, trying to get a justified explanation as to why the restaurant is called ‘Just Fins’ when clearly they also sell crabs, shrimps or whatever creatures that are edible but lack fins.

 

Other than that, why is there a seafood restaurant at a ski resort?

 

“Clearly, they’re only pointing out to the mermaid,”

 

Which is awkward.

 

Chanyeol grabbed his wrist. “Let’s go,”

 

You know what’s more awkward? More mermaids.

 

Baekhyun felt like punching some sense to whoever decorated this place with sea shells, dancing fishes and mermaids with huge s. He’s not even sure if un-straight men are allowed to stay even for a minute or set foot in this place. But this is a mini-vacation. And mini-vacation means a little bit of fun. So he’s going to forget criticizing or even stop commenting on almost everything he sees.

 

They find a table at the middle (after Chanyeol slipped some bills, of course, because there are a lot of people). Baekhyun choked on humid air when he opened the menu.

 

Obviously, nobody warned him that the ski resort is exclusive for rich people. And so are the restaurants.

 

The prices are higher than his pride plus his height multiplied by ten and raised to the power of infinity.

 

“Um, Chanyeol,” Baekhyun croaked. He noticed the waiter listening to he leaned closer across the table to whisper. “Aren’t the prices too high here?”

 

“Really?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“Really?” Yuan seconded.

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and leaned back on his chair. “Never mind.” His attention was back on the menu. None of the meals are even familiar to him so he decided he’ll choose the cheapest one. Luckily, there are a lot of cheap meals too.

 

This wouldn’t be so hard.

 

He nodded. “The menu’s not bad,” He nodded again, his skin staring to feel a little it cold. “Not bad.” He tried to ignore but then the whispers finally reached his ears. He slammed the menu down the table, startling both Chanyeol and Yuan. “Why are they staring at us?”

 

Chanyeol rolled his eyes around him and noticed that yes, the people, the guests, everyone, is staring at them like some animals at the zoo.

 

“They probably find Yuan cute,”

 

Baekhyun turned to Yuan wherein the kid grinned at him.

 

“Don’t push it,” He turned back to Chanyeol. “We should eat some place else,”

 

“What? But we’re already here,”

 

Here is weird.”

 

“But I want to eat squid…and shrimps…and crabs…” Yuan murmured lowering his head.

 

Chanyeol nodded at Yuan to Baekhyun, trying to prove his point. Well, technically, there’s nothing Baekhyun can do at this point. He’s the…outcast, to put it negatively. He’s not even invited in this trip, Baekhee is, and who pays? Park Chanyeol.

 

Does he have a say in this?

 

No.

 

Can he choose where to eat?

 

No.

 

Can he throw mini-tantrums?

 

Absolutely, no.

 

So, in the end, Chanyeol ordered for him while Yuan ordered almost everything on the menu. He told the boy that it’s not okay to eat all at once but Yuan justified with ‘It’s okay if you can pay’ so Baekhyun decided to drop the issue. He tried to warn him anyway.

 

The food arrived 30 minutes later—wherein they spent most of their waiting time fiddling with the glasses and breaking them and replacing them and then breaking them again. Baekhyun doesn’t even question when he noticed the waiters across keeping a close eye on them—or rather the glasses, in case you know.

 

Another five minutes and more foods are served to them. And three minutes later, their small table is having a feast on its own. Baekhyun couldn’t even see the end of the plates anymore with that much food served. Oh well, that’s actually better than not seeing the food at all.

 

He’s not fond of exotic foods ever since anyway so he picked the most recognizable of all—all hail Chicken!

 

Chanyeol sighed. “Oh come on, don’t tell me you’re only eating the chicken?”

 

Baekhyun paused in the middle of placing the chicken on his plate. “Then what the hell did you order the chicken for?”

 

Chanyeol shrugged. “For the sake of ordering the chicken?”

 

Baekhyun crooked his eyebrows. “I don’t understand you people.” He noticed that most of the plates are stuffed around Yuan and shifted his attention to him. “Yuan, are you sure you can eat all that?” Yuan nodded. “Really sure?” Yuan glared and nodded. “You’re going to get a stomach ache.”

 

“Let him be, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol interrupted. Baekhyun noticed that all he ever does is let Yuan do what he wants and it’s starting to annoy him. He’s a hyung, he should be worried about the boy.  “He’s a growing boy, let him eat what he wants.” Chanyeol continued while getting a spoonful from his own plate.

 

The ratio of their food is weird and ridiculous.

 

Chanyeol has 7 plates, Yuan has 10 freaking plates and then there’s Baekhyun who only has three.

 

Baekhyun inhaled deeply to suppress his annoyance. “Okay, fine, don’t listen to me then,” He stayed quiet for the rest of the eating session, with only the chicken by his side. He poured water for Yuan because alas, he actually listened to him when he said softdrinks are bad for children, thus the water.

 

Chanyeol watched Baekhyun with amusement. He watched how his lips will pout if the rice falls off from the chopsticks, how his expression will soften into worry whenever Yuan would cough in need of water and how his face lightens into a smile whenever he wipes the dirt off of Yuan’s face. He gets the feeling that Baekhyun is an experienced babysitter, if that makes it sound better, or to put it simply, Baekhyun has taken care of a kid before.

 

Before.

 

Before all this.

 

His thoughts were interrupted when he felt his phone vibrate. He fished his phone out to read a message from his mother. He cleared his throat. Baekhyun turned to him. “Baekhyun, I think you need to dress up before we get to the hotel. Mom just messaged me and said she reserved us a room with the names Park Chanyeol and Park Baekhee. Huh. That sounds nice.”

 

Baekhyun stared blankly him.

 

“I know that look,” Chanyeol said. “Park Baekhee sounds ridiculous?” He mimicked.

 

Still staring.

 

“You’re ugly?”

 

Stiiilll stariiing.

 

“How do you suppose I can dress up in a rush here?”

 

Baekhyun glared. Finally!

 

“Well, you can use their restroom.” Chanyeol inquired.

 

“Are you an idiot?” Baekhyun retorted. “I came inside like this. I can’t go out as a girl!”

 

There was a moment of silence.

 

Insert crows.

 

And finally Chanyeol’s solution.

 

“This is the worst idea ever,” Baekhyun murmured under his breath while trying to hang towels and jackets on each of Chanyeol’s car windows. The idea was that he has to dress himself inside the car to avoid suspicious looks. Huh. If this wasn’t suspicious enough.

 

“Well, do you have any suggestion?” Chanyeol asked from outside, watching Yuan play with the stones.

 

“Just shut up.” Baekhyun went inside after 15 minutes of trial and errors and closed the door. “AND DON’T PEEK!”

 

Chanyeol snorted.

 

Baekhyun grabbed the box full of dresses and wigs and make-up kits and other girl products. He sighed. If he was writing an essay for a college application right now, he’d be the first choice of every college if he wrote this incident as the biggest obstacle he encountered in his life. His man pride is being stepped on by some giant noodle head idiot CEO slash Park Chanyeol.

 

Well, at least he’s having fun.

 

For now, maybe.

 

He took off his shirt, prepared the bra with some foams and wore them. He had to stop himself from bursting into loud fits of laughter because that would mean he’s insulting himself. He wonders why his shoulders look so…woman-ish. Everybody got broad shoulders, why does he have petite curvy ones?

 

He rummaged through the box to find a dress. He picked the black button up dress Luhan picked for him and wore it up to his waist. He laid down on the passenger’s seat, legs curved into an awkward position because he won’t fit, and tried to take off his pants. He hit his head.

 

“Aw!”

 

Chanyeol turned and chuckled.

 

Another bump. “Goddamnit!”

 

And chuckled again.

 

Chanyeol turned back to Yuan who was running to an ice cream vendor. “Okay. Yuan! No! Come back here!”

 

He doesn’t have…OCD, judging from how much of a trash his house looks like anyway.

 

It’s just that he’s very particular with street foods. Once, he ate street ice creams, and he was diagnosed with food poisoning. His mother grounded him for a month. He ran to Yuan and pulled his arms. “Come on,”

 

“I want to eat ice cream!”

 

“We’ll buy ice cream over there,” Chanyeol pointed at a shop.

 

“Okay,” Yuan silently followed Chanyeol.

 

When they were walking back, Chanyeol saw Baekhyun kicking the backseat door open and dropped his bare foot above the ground. This sight of Baekhyun, with the long hair flowing down to his chest, flushed face, and majestic dress, is one of the best sights he’ll keep for sure. There’s just something about Baekhyun looking relaxed like that, with his shoulders down, along with his guard. Chanyeol always thought that Baekhyun couldn’t keep his guard down, not ever. He’s open yet distant in some ways.

 

“You look good,” Chanyeol said when he stopped in front of him.

 

“Why is this so tiring?” Baekhyun breathed. “Why do I have to go to all this trouble just to change?” Chanyeol smirked. He noticed the pair of doll shoes on Baekhyun’s lap. He took them and kneeled in front of Baekhyun. Baekhyun was alarmed. “What are you doing?”

 

“Being a gentleman,” Chanyeol cupped Baekhyun’s foot, holding it lightly on his palm, and slid the doll shoe underneath, fitting it perfectly. Baekhyun watched, biting his lip in embarrassment, as Chanyeol did the same to his other foot. “There, now you look even greater,”

 

Baekhyun looked away to hide his blush, wherein he saw Yuan instead, grinning at him. He felt a hand brushing his hair so he turned back up front and ended up meeting Chanyeol’s face an inch close. Chanyeol is brushing his fringe away. Chanyeol’s face is only an inch close. He can feel Chanyeol’s hot breath against his cheeks, making the pink shade grow even darker into red. He has no excuse. He’s blushing. He’s blushing because of Chanyeol.

 

Chanyeol stood back up with a proud smile after playing with his fringe. “How cute,” And then walked away.

 

Baekhyun stared down at his feet, where it reminded him of Chanyeol kneeling down and wearing the shoe on him, so instead he just covered his face with both of his hands. He felt like he’s going to explode in embarrassment.

 

“Come on Baekhyun, let’s go!”

 

He snapped when he heard Chanyeol’s voice. He noticed the towels and the jackets were taken down and the car looks normal now. He immediately went to sit on the front seat, constantly fixing his skirt because it elevates up whenever he sits. Chanyeol, on the other hand, found it greatly amusing at how high the skirt can elevate. When Yuan closed the door at the back seat, Chanyeol started driving to the hotel.

 

--

 

They arrive at the hotel at 2 PM. Baekhyun was busying himself with looking after their bags while carrying Yuan in his arms because the boy suddenly inquired a stomach ache after eating almost everything they ordered from the restaurant non-stop. Chanyeol was checking for their reservation, oblivious to his agony, oblivious to the men staring at his exposed legs wherein he can’t even hide them because he’s got Yuan in his arms.

 

“Alright, I got our key card,” Chanyeol announced while walking back to them.

 

“Oh thank god,” Baekhyun murmured.

 

Chanyeol carried their bags and started walking to the elevator. Baekhyun and Yuan followed close behind him.

 

“Hyung~ my tummy really hurts…” Yuan murmured, pressing his hands deeper to his belly.

 

Baekhyun sighs, pulling his attention away from the floor numbers to Yuan. “What did I tell you about eating too much? And then there’s someone who keeps on consenting you.”

 

“I heard that.” Chanyeol glared.

 

“You were supposed to.” Baekhyun retorted. He stared at the numbers. Their room is at floor 15. It’s still floor 8. “How many floors does this hotel have?” It’s kind of weird that no one’s coming at every floor so they’re elevating pretty fast.

 

“20,” Chanyeol responded.

 

Baekhyun gasp. “Many people come here to ski?”

 

“Many rich people come here to ski,”

 

Baekhyun started to do the math with a bit of a common sense. He’s pretty sure nobody comes here at the middle of the year. Who goes skiing during summer? That means this hotel only opens during winter time. That means there are also thousands of wealthy people here at this time. Which brings us to the conclusion: he’s not free in this place.

 

Everyone knows Chanyeol.

 

Everyone knows Chanyeol’s fiancé.

 

Great.

 

Now I can’t even roam around this place without people staring at me.

 

The elevator stops with a ding and the door opens to their floor. Baekhyun sighed and adjusted his hold on Yuan who seems to have fallen asleep in his arms. He’s like a pretty angel when he sleeps.

 

“WE’RE HERE!”

 

Baekhyun kicked Chanyeol on the shin and walked first. “Shut up. Yuan’s sleeping,” He didn’t even turn around when he heard a loud thud.

 

“You’re cruel…”

 

--

 

The room is big, to be really honest. Baekhyun felt like he just walked in inside a mansion. Everything was set up when they entered; the lights, the heater, the veranda is open and the mini-kitchen is complete with utensils and cooking materials. It’s almost as if it was a condo unit, only it’s located at a ski resort. Other than that, it’s was ing cold.

 

So ing cold.

 

Baekhyun proceeded to the bedroom while Chanyeol went to place their bags on the small walk-in closet. Baekhyun put the weight on his one arm, carefully, while his other arm reaches down to the sheets, pulled it up over and bent down to place Yuan slowly on the bed. He sighed heavily, finally a weight on his arms. He was this close to numbness after almost an hour of carrying Yuan around.

 

He pulled the sheets on the kid’s chest and fixed the pillow. When he stood back up, he felt shivers when the air started getting colder. He brushed his hands on his arms to ignite heat while walking around to find the heater.

 

Come, heater heater, pretty fly.

 

With a pearl and silver wings.

 

He sang in his head. He finally found an electric space heater near the drawer facing the bed. He fidgeted around the wires, because he was already too cold.

 

“Baek—“

 

Baekhyun flinched. “Aw!”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, did I startle you? Are you injured?”

 

Baekhyun his thumb. “Ish fayrn, jash a laysh squash.”

 

“Squash?” Chanyeol tilted his head slightly. He bent beside Baekhyun to turn on the heater. “I thought you’re supposed to be the smart one. How could you forget to buy a lady’s coat?”

 

Baekhyun pulled his thumb back from his mouth with a pop. “It’s not my fault. Luhan was pissing me off. I wanted to get home early.” He faced his palms near the heater to keep it warm. Chanyeol just stared at him, amazed at how pretty Baekhyun looks with that fringe covering his eyebrows, that shade of pale pink on his cheeks, some eyeliner and the orange light from the heater reflecting on his face—beautiful. There’s not enough words to describe how addicted he was with staring at Baekhyun (but he’ll never show, because Baekhyun will punch him and spit on his face).

 

Chanyeol looked away. He noticed Yuan sleeping soundly at the bed. “Really a heavy sleeper,”

 

“Hm?” Baekhyun turned to him. When he saw Chanyeol looking behind, he turned his body slightly to the side to see. He smiled. “It’s a good thing he’s asleep. He’s been constantly complaining but that stomach ache which is your fault by the way.”

 

Chanyeol feigned a painful look. “How is it my fault?”

 

“Because I told him it’s not alright to eat everything all at once and you just say ‘let him be, he’s a growing kid, let him experience the pain of having a stomach ache’.” Baekhyun mocked with a slight chuckle.

 

“Oh, you did not just mock me,” Chanyeol leaned closer with a smirk.

 

“I just did. What are you going to do about it?” Baekhyun leaned closer, obviously not backing down from the non-existent fight Chanyeol started with a challenging statement. Their foreheads are closing to touching now, but their eyes are definitely not pulling away from each other’s gazes despite the close distance; one is challenging, the other is willing to play the game.

 

Chanyeol’s game is a different kind of game though. He smirked, as amused as he can be, and finally closed the distance between them and kissed Baekhyun on the cheek, sprinting away immediately, almost tripping on the carpet on the way to the door. Baekhyn remained on the floor, frozen and startled, face flushed with a shade of red until he realized what happened.

 

He gasped.

 

“PARK CHANYEOOOOL!!!”

 

He followed Chanyeol outside the room, the giant’s laughter still ringing in his ears, and didn’t care whether he looked like a beast running to get his prey. He’s going to give Chanyeol the punishment he deserves. It’s a good thing the hallway wasn’t packed with people.

 

He turned right when Chanyeol did, and when his patience finally snapped, he stopped, grabbed his doll shoe, and threw it as hard as he could to Chanyeol’s direction. Luckily, it hit the giant’s head because his height made him an easy target for flying objects.

 

“Got you, er!” Baekhyun ran immediately and jumped on Chanyeol’s back, causing the both of them to fall to the floor with loud thuds and painful groans. It wasn’t intentional. He wasn’t expecting for them to fall. “Aww…dammit.” Baekhyun rolled over to the side. “That hurts.”

 

“You’re one to talk, you jumped on me!” Chanyeol retorted, twisting his belly in an awkward position due to the pain of falling.

 

“It’s your fault. You kissed me!” Baekhyun tried to justify, bit his voice sounded too weak it was not effective.

 

Chanyeol finally laid his body straight and turned his head to Baekhyun who was panting and sweating hard. “You liked it, didn’t you?”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, didn’t even bother looking at him. “Psh. Please. How can I like it—mmf!” He yelped (kind-of) when Chanyeol’s large hands covered his mouth, refraining him from talking. Chanyeol leaned closer then, his arm on the floor for support, and stared at Baekhyun with a dangerous smirk.

 

He kissed Baekhyun on the forehead.

 

Baekhyun froze literally, eyes wide in shock, unconsciously taking in Chanyeol’s smell due to the closeness of their bodies. When Chanyeol leaned back, pulling his hand away in the process, Baekhyun couldn’t take the embarrassment and immediately covered his face with his palms. Chanyeol smiled in amusement.

 

“See? You like it.” Chanyeol whispered with hot breath, too close for comfort.

 

“Go away you ert,” Baekhyun murmured.

 

Chanyeol sat up, breathing heavily at the weight of his body. “Come on Baekhyun, stop covering your face,”

 

No response.

 

“Baekhyun, Baekhee~”

 

Still nothing.

 

“B, Queen B, Princess Baekhee~”

 

“Gross.”

 

“Finally! Come on, stop hiding your face,” Chanyeol held Baekhyun’s hands and tried to pull them away. “If you won’t stop covering your face, I’ll kiss you again,” In less than a minute, Baekhyun is sitting in front of Chanyeol, hands on his side (though his lips were unconsciously pouting, revealing how embarrassed he is).  Chanyeol stared lovingly. “You’re so cute.”

 

“Ugh! Leave me alone!” Baekhyun stood up and stomped on his way back to their room, face red and hot, and heart beating fast.

 

Baekhyun hated it.

 

He wasn’t supposed to feel this way.

 

No.

 

--

 

They eat dinner inside the room, with Baekhyun monitoring everything Yuan takes in his mouth and Chanyeol constantly clicking the camera, the flashes causing an annoying disturbance.

 

“Why,” Baekhyun placed the spoon down. “Are you taking pictures of us eating?”

 

“Mom gave me this camera for that purpose,” Chanyeol merely shrugged.

 

“Your mom has some problems,” Baekhyun decided. “And why aren’t you eating? Here, I’ll take the pictures instead.”

 

Baekhyun hopped off the bed and took the camera from Chanyeol. Chanyeol sat beside Yuan, getting a piece of meat for himself, and chewing loudly, giving Baekhyun an easy time making the whole picture-taking thingy look fun. Chanyeol looks stupid.

 

“I can delete those you know,” Chanyeol said, still chewing.

 

“That only means you lose,” Baekhyun stuck a tongue out.

 

Chanyeol shrugged and let it go. Baekhyun kept on focusing Chanyeol’s face, perfectly capturing his toothy grin, that little twitch he does when he’s laughing so loud and wholeheartedly, his whole existence basically, this side of Park Chanyeol, is the best of all. He liked it. It takes him back to their first meeting. Chanyeol was wearing a tuxedo and he was wearing a pink gown and a long wig, and then suddenly poof, they meet at the hallway. Who knew?

 

Who knew that they’re going to be friends like this?

 

Who knew that he’ll get to see this side of him?

 

Who knew that that one person you randomly bumped into in the hallway while trying to get away from your chasers will play a big part in your life?

 

Then a question popped on his mind.

 

What would it be like, if all of this, will be gone tomorrow?

 

He lowered the camera. Chanyeol noticed after a second or so. “Baekhyun?” The brunette looks lost, just staring into nothing. “Are you okay?”

 

Baekhyun took a step back. “I’m fine. I just need some air. I’m going out for a walk.”

 

“Baekhyun, wait!” Chanyeol called, getting a slammed door as a response. He turned to Yuan who was as startled as him. “I’m going to follow him. Stay here, okay?” Yuan nodded. Chanyeol went off the bed and grabbed his shoes. “I’m going to lock the door. Don’t let anyone in here.” He grabbed the key card.

 

“Okay hyung.”

 

Chanyeol immediately ran outside to chase after Baekhyun. Luckily, he saw the brunette turning left to the elevator. “Baekhyun!”

 

When he reached, the elevator door already slid close so he had to take the one beside it. He pressed violently on the buttons and repeated ‘come on, come on, hurry up’ in his head like a mantra.

 

When he finally reached the ground floor, immediately running off when the elevator door opened, he saw Baekhyun’s back outside the automatic sliding door of the hotel. He ran off to catch up, cursing inwardly when a bunch if bellboys with luggage kept on getting on his way.

 

Luckily, Baekhyun wasn’t hurrying.

 

Baekhyun stopped, turned around, and then turned back around to walk, ignoring Chanyeol. “What are you doing?”

 

Chanyeol kept a distance behind him but not too far. “Walking.”

 

“Why are you following me?”

 

“I’m not following you.”

 

Baekhyun snorted. “If you say so.”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Why would I tell you?”

 

“Is there something wrong?”

 

“I just want to walk.”

 

“Okay.”

 

They were silent for a moment, with Baekhyun hugging his arms for heat and Chanyeol following behind him, his hood covering half of his face and his hands hidden inside his pockets.

 

Baekhyun wouldn’t have cared. If Chanyeol wants to walk then fine. But there’s a big difference between walking and following. Baekhyun’s whole purpose of this walk is so that he will be able to think deeply about his feelings, that sudden strangeness building inside his body and making his heart go bathump bathump. But with hat constant crunching of Chanyeol’s shoe pressing against the soil finally snapped his patience.

 

“What,” Baekhyun turned to face Chanyeol. “—is—“

 

“—WRONG WITH YOU?!”

 

Baekhyun jumped back slightly when a woman suddenly passed in between him and Chanyeol, talking to someone or rather, yelling at someone. A man passed next, grabbing the woman’s arm and they stop. Chanyeol looked confused as well.

 

“Just listen to me!”

 

“NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR YOUR BULL!”

 

“THIS IS NOT BULL, OKAY?! I’M STATING A FACT! A FACT!”

 

“WELL YOU!”

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat. “Um, excuse me, I think you should—“

 

“DON’T INTERFERE WITH THIS USELESS WOMAN!” The woman shot at him.

 

Baekhyun gasped. “Wow, that was…kind of offensive.”

 

Chanyeol stepped forward. “Um, what he wants to say is that you should probably settle whatever the problem here is calmly. People are staring at you.”

 

“WHO CARES!”

 

Baekhyun snarled at the woman. “You’re a lady yet your mouth is so big. Where are your manners?”

 

The woman eyed him from head to toe. “I may not have manners but at least I look more presentable than you. How’s that dress working out for ya? Going to a funeral, miss?” She crossed her arms.

 

Baekhyun gasped with a death glare, ready to pounce on the woman when Chanyeol stepped in between them. “Okay, she’s not your enemy.” Chanyeol pointed at the man she was yelling at earlier.

 

She sighed. “I’m not going to talk to you.” Then turned around to walk away.

 

“Hara, wait!”

 

Baekhyun placed a hand over the man’s chest, stopping. “You probably shouldn’t.” And it was a right choice because women, according to research studies, tend to fail in proper decision making when mad.

 

There was no reference for this because it was his opinion. He’s a supposed lawyer so let him be.

 

He communicated with Chanyeol through his eyes.

 

“What? Me? Follow her? Why?”

 

Baekhyun threatened him with a death glare.

 

“Alright, alright. Fine.” Chanyeol immediately left to chase after Hara.

 

After Chanyeol was gone, Baekhyun pulled his hand back and looked at the man; he was quietly sniffing, head hanging low, like a baby. “Oh come on, aren’t you a man?” The man raised his head and looked at Baekhyun, eyes close to tearing up. “Okay not a man,” Baekhyun sighed. “Come on,” He pulled the man with him.

 

--

 

“STOP FOLLOWING ME! UGH!”

 

Chanyeol smirked. “You know, your yells doesn’t work on me. I know someone who yells even louder and I hear it almost every day.”

 

Hara paused and stared at him, trying to find an explaining behind that sweet smile he has when he was talking about that certain person. Then she realized there’s actually no reason for her to yell at a random stranger. She snorted. “Guess you’re lucky then,”

 

--

 

“Here,” Baekhyun offered a soda to the man—whose name was Junhyung, he found out when he took his wallet to pay and saw his I.D—before sitting down beside him on the bench. They open their sodas with a pop and drank.

 

“Why are you even doing this?”

 

Baekhyun squinted to look at Junhyung, still drinking from the can.

 

“I mean, we’re just two random strangers passing by contributing to the noise pollution. That’s not big deal right?”

 

Baekhyun leaned forward after he was done drinking. “I learned that random strangers can play a big part in your life. You’ll never know which one. Everyone is important. Everyone is part of us.”

 

Just like Chanyeol.

 

Junhyung smiled at him. “You’re a sweet girl,”

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat. “Um, about that…”

 

“Hm?”

 

Baekhyun shook his head. “Never mind. So, why were you fighting?”

 

“I’m not sure I should be saying this to a stranger but,” Junhyung sighed. “Like you said, everyone is a part of us. Maybe there’s a reason why we met.” Baekhyun nodded. “Well…our fight seems pretty stupid actually. She found out I wasn’t really a doctor so she got mad at me.”

 

Baekhyun crooked his eyebrows. “How long did she think you’re a doctor?”

 

“About 4 months,” Baekhyun choked.

 

“How the hell did she think you’re a doctor in the first place?”

 

“Well, that’s kind of like my fault,” Junhyung scratched his neck. “I wanted to impress her on our first meeting—my cousin set us up on a blind date—and since blind dates don’t usually work and I thought that I probably wouldn’t see her again, I said I’m a doctor for the sake if impressing a girl. But then we started bumping into each often and the doctor thing got stuck. I don’t know how to tell here the truth until today happened.”

 

“Wow,” Baekhyun breathed. “That sounds complicated,”

 

Heh. But nothing beats how complicated my life is, of course.

 

“I really want her to forgive me. I mean, I love her so much I wouldn’t know what to do if she left.”

 

“I understand,” Baekhyun nodded. “There’s just one person in this world that you’ll love more than your favorite hobby, or favorite band or just anything. And it’s so much more meaningful when you know that person deserves it.”

 

“That’s right. Wow, you talk from the heart. Have you experienced the same thing?”

 

Baekhyun refused to stutter for the sake of denying so instead, he did the bunny ears with his fingers and said. “Unquote.”

 

“Okay. I didn’t know a quote like that exists.”

 

Baekhyun grabbed Junhyung’s hand and stood up. “Come on. You need to settle this immediately.”

 

--

 

“Your girlfriend must be really lucky to have someone like you,” Hara inquired, struggling to hold the ice cream Chanyeol paid for her. It was an honest judgment. She’s a woman, she knows women. And her grandmother always reminded her that if he’s going to marry someone, marry someone who would always love her more because girls’ attitudes are pretty unpredictable. Better marry someone who tries hard to understand their mind.

 

“Why do you say so?”

 

“It’s obvious she’s a ,” Hara replied. “Well, not that kind of because that’s insulting but a strong, powerful woman kind of . Men sometimes get insecure with those kinds of women so relationships like that never last. How long have you been together?”

 

“Quite some time,” Chanyeol answered with a shrug.

 

“How did you met her?”

 

Chanyeol smiled. “I was on this business meeting and she…was on the same hotel to attend a party. Then I think she got into some trouble so she ran away and while I was walking in the hallway, she bumped into me.”

 

“Just like that?”

 

“She didn’t want to get caught so she dragged me with her inside a storage room to hide. Turns out we live in the same subdivision.”

 

Hara gasped. “What a coincidence!”

 

“I know.” Chanyeol chuckled. “Anyway, why are you suddenly interested in my love story? How about the two of you?”

 

Hara rolled her eyes. “Fine,” She breathed then finished up her ice cream. She threw it on the bin before starting. “My friend, who’s also his friend, set up us on a blind date. So yeah, we met like that. It was really funny because at that time, there were many couples eating at that same restaurant. And there were a few guys whose names sound like Junhyung so there were a few misunderstandings. A few couples had a fight because I was asking every table.”

 

“Why did you ask every table?”

 

“Because I don’t know what Junhyung looks like! So I went to a table, asked ‘are you junhyung’ and then because their names are similar or sound similar, the guy said ‘yes’ then me, thinking that that guy is Junhyung said ‘It’s me! Your blind date!’, in turn, the girlfriend got mad and yetlled ‘BLIND DATE?!’ and boom, lovers’ quarrel.” Hara grinned, her gums flashing out how fun of a memory that was. “Embarrassing but it was really funny.”

 

“I can tell you really had a lot of fun,” Chanyeol nodded. The air was getting colder and he was starting to get worried about Baekhyun—who’s with a complete stranger—so he stopped walking. “We should go back so the two of you can talk. It’s getting late.” Plus, they left a kid alone in their room.

 

Talk about irresponsibility.

 

“Alright,”

 

Well, that was fast. Hara walked first. They were close to the parking lot near the entrance where they parked earlier to have lunch so Chanyeol got left behind because he checked the mobiles displaying their majestic blueprint. He’s very fond of cars, racing cars, city cars, name them, but he wasn’t one to collect cars.

 

When he couldn’t see Hara’s figure at the corner of his eyes anymore, he immediately started walking to catch up. In between the boundary of the parking lot and a convenience store facing them is a staircase the leads down to the resort—where they passed earlier. That’s where he found Hara standing and staring into something. When he arrived, he saw Baekhyun and Junhyung walking up, probably thought of the same thing they settled with a while ago. Chanyeol felt relieved, not just because Baekhyun’s fine but also because he looks fine; he was smiling, a complete opposite of the frown he was displaying earlier when he decided he wanted to get some air and have some walk.

 

Baekhyun stood beside Hara. “Just talk to him. He loves you and he really regrets lying to you.”

 

Hara smirked and leaned closer to whisper. “I know that and I love him. I really do. I only got mad so he won’t do it again. I don’t care who he really is. I don’t care whether he’s a doctor or not. I love him. That’s all that matters.”

 

Maybe he just needed a break.

 

Chanyeol’s eyebrows crooked in confusion.

 

A break from what?

 

He felt a hand pinch his’ and he turned to see the brunette’s head passing. He turned and followed Baekhyun, leaving Hara and Junhyung by the staircase so they could talk privately. They walk inside the convenience store, thanking the heavens for the little heat they received.

They enter together yet they don’t stick together.

 

One was trying to find ways to approach the other without pissing him off while the other was trying to get his mind into thinking deeply.

 

Baekhyun was stupefied at Hara’s answer to him earlier. She wasn’t mad but she was willing to play the bad part for the sake of her lover and she doesn’t even care whatever Junhyun’s status in life is. It’s love that is most important. Then he wonders that maybe if people in his family saw life like that, he wouldn’t be here, debating whether he procured some kind of chronic heart disease or is just starting to get emotionally challenged.

 

When they heard a fain knock on the glass, they both turned, and saw Hara and Junhyung happily linking their arms together and mouthing words of appreciation. Chanyeol and Baekhyun smiled back at them and let them leave, watched as they continued their love story.

 

When will it be their love story?

 

--

 

When they got back in the room, they noticed the lights were off and only the light from lamp shade on the bedside table remained. Yuan was sleeping soundly under the covers in the middle of the bed. Baekhyun yawned and stretched his arms, exhaustion finally starting to sink in. Luckily, the heater saved his life so he will be able to get some good night’s sleep later. He went into the walk-in closet to grab some clothes—normal clothes—then he proceeded to the bathroom to wash his face and change.

 

When he saw his reflection on the mirror, he couldn’t help but stare and wonder yet again. Baekhee. That person he’s seeing on the mirror is not him. The longer he stared into those eyes, his eyes, the more his inner true self gets shaken. It’s not me. That’s not me.

 

He doesn’t want this.

 

He doesn’t want all this.

 

All this is for Baekhee and not for him.

 

No.

 

He shook his head. He took off the wig, brushed his hair back to its form, and washed his face, trying to get rid of the bad thoughts. When he lifted his head back up, he sees himself on the reflection of the mirror.

 

He changed into his pajamas and went out of the bathroom quietly. He placed his used clothes on the drawer near the bathroom and walked to the bed where he saw Chanyeol already claiming a space for him at the left side, beside Yuan, body turned with his back facing Baekhyun. Baekhyun slipped slowly under the covers to avoid waking Yuan up.

 

A lot of things happened to day.

 

He was kind of expecting tomorrow.

 

But at the same times he was scared to face tomorrow.

 

Tomorrow means another day of being with Chanyeol, another day of his heart beating in confusion, another day to see Chanyeol’s stupid eye-twitching smile. He hates moments like these, when he starts to notice the little details about someone. It makes him think that he’s noticing them because he wants to take in all of what’s left of his time with that someone.

 

And he’s not leaving.

 

I guess.

 

“Baekhyun?”

 

Baekhyun stiffened, Chanyeol’s deep honey voice sending shivers down his spine. There’s always something special about Chanyeol’s voice and it makes him crazy because he’s afraid he might get addicted to the low tone vibrating his tonsils. There he goes with the details.

 

“Are you sleeping already?”

 

Baekhyun waited for a moment. “…no. Why?”

 

There was a pause, a short long pause, it’s short but it feels long. Chanyeol was thinking about something, hesitating even, and it makes Baekhyun nervous by the second that passes. They can’t even see each other so it was hard to determine to what direction this conversation is going.

 

“I just…” Chanyeol starts.

 

Baekhyun’s getting even more anxious. Chanyeol sounds like he has something important to say yet scared.

 

Scared of what?

 

“…want to remind you of our itinerary tomorrow—“ A pillow flew and hit his head. He sat up and turned to Baekhyun. “What?”

 

“Shut up. I’m going to sleep.”

 

Jerk!

 

Baekhyun hugged the sheets and shut his eye, feeling excited yet scared of tomorrow.

 


 

A/N:

so next chapter is where the fun starts. 

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN

someone's coming. OHOHOHO.

let's embrace all the GHEINESS exo has displayed yesterday.

GHEI GHEI GHEI GHEI GHEI GHEI

and sorry, this took so long.

and sorry again because this was not proof-read.

and i love you everyone <3

i'm just going to leave this gif of a baekhyun sprout in its mating session.

-gelie

edit:

lol i almost forgot.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME. :3

edit again:

HAHA GUYS MY BIRTHDAY IS JANUARY 30

IT'S WHEN BAEKHYUN WAS FIRST INTRODUCED

HAHA OMG