Waterfall Hills

The Mystery of Love and Murder

Yoona

 

We decided to go to the park together in Minho's car, because I didn't bring my car. The ride was silent, except for the radio blaring songs by K-Pop artists, such as 2PM, Kara, and Sistar.

When we finally got to the park, I let him to a quiet place that was away from the park, but inside a small forest full of trees. Although Minho looked uncertain that he should be going somewhere where no one goes, he followed me.

I finally stopped in front of a mini waterfall, accompanied by beautiful flowers that surrounded the ground. I sat down on the grass and breathed in the fresh air.

"Yoona, what are we doing here?" Minho asked suspiciously.

I mentally rolled my eyes. "Don't worry, I'm not going to kidnap you or anything. I just really like this place. It helps me concentrate better."

Minho relunctantly sat next to me, and looked around.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" I asked.

He nodded. "It's beautiful! How did you find this place?"

My smile disappeared, and I stared at one of the flowers next to me. I felt Minho's questioning gaze on me, but I didn't look at him.

"Hey," he said softly. "If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine. There are some things I don't like talking about either."

I shook my head softly. I looked at him, who was looking into my sad eyes.

I tried to smile. "No, no. It's fine. It's just I don't really like to talk about this subject, but I should tell you, now that we're partners."

Minho tried to argue that I didn't have to, but I started my story before I could lose my courage.

I took a deep breath and started. "So, when I was little, I used to be so annoying and always asked a lot of questions, like Pandora. I used to love searching for secret passageways in old buildings, and pretending that I was a detective, solving mysteries."

I chuckled bitterly.

"Go on," Minho told me softly.

"When I was about 12 years old, my family and I were on a vacation in New York. My mom and I were watching a Broadway musical, while my dad was at home, sleeping. When the musical ended, we were on the way back home, in a taxi, when suddenly, the driver turned stopped driving and parked in an empty parking lot, and turned to face me and my mom," I said with great difficulty.

I took a deep breath before I started again.

"The driver turned around and smiled at us. It wasn't a kind smile, but a scary, evil kind. My mom seemed to recognize him. She tried to open the door, but he'd locked it, so we couldn't get out. I didn't really understand what was going on, but I remember feeling scared. I held onto my mom's hand tightly, as she pleaded the driver to let us go. Then he- he," I chocked on the words I was about to say.

I felt tears threatening to fall onto my face. I tried to blink it away, but one fell out.

Minho noticed this, and said,"Yoona, if it's too hard talking about it, then don't. I told you in the beginning: you don't have to tell if it's hard for you."

I shot him a weak smile, then shook my head. "No, I'll be fine. It's just I haven't talked to anyone about this, except my dad."

Minho slowly put his arm on my back, and started to rub his hand in circles. This relaxed me. It reminded me of what my dad used to do.

"Then the taxi driver pulled out a gun and pointed it at me. I'd never seen my mom so scared. My mom started to speak to him in another language, I think it was English, but at the time I didn't know because I was just 12, and I was just beginning to learn the language. I could tell my mom trying to persuade him to stop, but the man never stopped pointing the gun at me. Then, he shook his head and said,"Say goodbye to your daughter. This is the last time you'll see her." He pulled the trigger back, and shot it at me, but it hadn't been me who was shot. I-it was m-my m-mom," I spilled out.

By this time, there was a flood of tears coming down my face. I tried to wipe them off, but they just came rolling back down. Through it all, Minho just silently rubbed my back.

When I finally got control of my tears, I continued my story.

"When I realized that my mom was becoming bloody, and not answering me, I hit the driver with my purse as hard as I can, and he knocked out. I unlocked the doors, and carried my mom outside. I dug inside my purse and pulled out my cell phone, and called the police. While I was waiting for them to come, I tried to stop the bleeding by ripping pieces of my shirt to cover the spot she was shot, but it wouldn't work. I kept calling her name, but she wouldn't answer. When I was finally about to give up, I felt a tug on my shirt.

I looked down to see my mom staring sadly into my eyes. She smiled weakly at me and said,"I love you and your dad, so, so much, Sweet heart. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you just a little bit longer. Remember Waterfall Hills? Never forget the place I showed you. It will help you understand all of this. Remember the Deer." After that, she closed her eyes and died. I remember telling the doctors that my mom had to be alive. I kept on shaking her, and trying to wake her up, but she wouldn't wake up.

When my dad got to me at the hospital, he looked so shaken up, and asked me to tell him everything that happened, so I told him. I even told him about Mom's last words. When I finished, he looked just as scared as Mom had been in the taxi. He told me that I would be staying at my aunt's house for a while, while he took a trip to find something out. Turns out that little "while" was 8 years.  I stayed there for 8 years, without any contact with my dad, when I decided to move back to Korea, since I was 20 already. I tried looking for my dad, but I couldn't find him anywhere.

Until this day, that day my mom died, was the last I ever saw of him. He's probably dead by now, but I still have hope that he's out there somewhere, watching out for me. I never forgot my mom's final words. I understand everything, except for the last part: remember the Deer. I tried to think of everything I could think of, but I couldn't come up with the answer," I told Minho.

He looked at me with sympathy. "And that's why you always come here. To feel like your with your mom again."

I nodded. Then I gave him a small smile. "I'm sorry. I'm usually not this emotional, but when it comes to my mom..."

He nodded. "Yeah, I get what you mean. I don't really like to talk about my mom that much."

I looked at him curiously. I turned my body to face him.

"What do you mean? What happened to your mom?" I asked him.

Minho gazed up into the sky sadly and said,"She died of cancer. Of course, I helped the stupid disease kill her faster."

I raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean 'helped it kill her faster'?"

Minho smiled wryly and replied,"Well, it was when I was 14, and was going through the stage as a rebel. I knew my mom had cancer, but I didn't think that she'd die. Stress makes cancer grow bigger, and I caused her the most stress. I used to always get kicked out of schools, cuss, hurt myself, and all that stuff. My mom was getting weaker, and weaker each day, but I didn't care. All I thought about was how to learn the new skateboarding trick. Then one day, I was with my friends, when I got a call that my mom had fainted at work, and was in the hospital.

I rushed there as fast as I can, but I was too late. I couldn't believe it. My mom had just died because of me, and my stupid tricks. I never forgave myself after that day, and vowed to help people find peace in a person's death."

I looked at him in the eye and said sincerely,"You can't blame yourself for that, Minho. Cancer is a horrible thing, and it doesn't grow faster, just because of one kid who was going to a rebellious stage."

Minho shook his head miserably. "No, I should've listened to my dad and spent more time with my mom. I should have helped her around the house. I should have done something!"

"I know how you feel, but in your case, it really isn't your fault. God did this for a reason. He has a plan for everything, Minho," I told him, firmly.

He gave me a small smile. "How about this? I try to stop blaming myself for my mom's death, if you also try to stop blaming yourself for your mom's death. It wasn't your fault either."

I thought about it for a moment. Just agree to it, Im Yoona. You could help him stop blaming himself.

I nodded. "Deal, now let's go get some lunch. I think crying takes too much energy."

This time, Minho really laughed and said,"Wow, Im Yoona the shikshin. What have I gotten myself into?"

I laughed along with him. "Whatever, boss. You're treating me to lunch, and while eating, we can talk about the mystery."

Minho rolled his eyes playfully. "Whatever, shikshin."

I smiled at him, and followed him to his car. I had a feeling that I could really trust him now, and that he could trust me. This is going to be one unforgetable day.

............................

Wow! That was a lo-ong chapter. I hope you guys enjoyed it! I know it's really sad, but I it's important, so try to remember it. Comment, upvote, and subscribe~