The Story of Kim Jong In

Finding you.

 

"Are you okay?" Suho asked again, his eyes filled with worry. 

Kai nodded, "Y-Yeah. I guess..?" 

"Good!" Suho cried, "You answered to none of my calls!" He hit Kai with a cushion in frustration. 

"And you didn't reply to any of our texts!" The rest of EXO chorused, they all threw pillows at Kai. He yelled as he put his arms up in defence.

"Why didn't you answer you texts or calls from us?" Chanyeol asked. "We were worried!" The others nodded in agreement. 

"I switched my phone off, sorry!" Kai apologised. 

Suho shook his head at Kai, "Aish..."

"Could've at least stayed awake to open the door for us." Baekhyun said, frowning at Kai, "We all left our keys here, but when we knocked on the door, you were asleep and didn't hear the door knock." 

"Stayed outside the apartment for a half hour waiting for the manager to drop by and give us his spare key." Kyungsoo added, he frowned as well. 

Kai laughed nervously, "Haha... Sorry about that..." He scratched the back of his head. 

The EXO members stood up to go back to their rooms to unpack, but before they left, they quickly picked up the cushions they previously threw at Kai and threw them at him again. 

Kai yelped as the rest of the members laughed at him and they all officially went back to their rooms. Kai quietly sat on the sofa, a warm smile grew on his face. 

"Hm." Kai went, *They care so much.* He thought, thinking of his EXO friends worrying so much about him just because he didn't answer to their calls.

He smiled warmly again at them as he saw them barge through their bed room doors, arguing childishly. 

Kai sat silently on the couch, then remembered about his dream.

He gulped. What does that even mean? ...Jung Ah dying. Because of me... Kai frowned. But her brother... Daejung... Killing her? Well, that's just weird. Her own brother killing her. 
 
Kai let out a sigh. It doesn't makes sense. He thought. It just doesn't make sense.
 
You see, Kai was all into the astrology and fate stuff. He believed that everything happened for a reason. But that was really only because he needed some sort of belief to control his life for him. 
 
"Everything happens for a reason." He'd always say to the EXO members. He had a reason for everything that happened in his life. Though... he still didn't have the answer to what the reason was to why his mother died. And sometimes, when he's depressed and feels useless, he questions his own existence.
 
He grunted quietly as he thought hard about his dream, what it could mean. He pushed himself up from his seat and slowly strided towards his room, still thinking hard about it. Kai took slowly, large steps into the room which caused a weird look from Kyungsoo, he looked at Kai up and down weirdly as he unpacked his clothes. 
 
Kyungsoo watched Kai pace himself to his own bed and slowly plopping himself down. 
 
"I hope you're not taking another nap," he said to Kai, raising a brow, "You've had enough rest for today!" He chuckled lightly. A small smirk appeared on Jong In's face and he let out a short, light chuckle. 
 
"Yeah, I've had enough rest for today." Kai laughed. 
 
"So, how was your stay at your parents?" Kyungsoo asked, neatly folding his clothes and putting them to the side. "How are your sisters?" He smiled. 
 
Kai froze. What the hell am I supposed to say? He thought. He hadn't thought of a fake story about his fake family to tell EXO. He bit his lip. 
 
"Urm... Ur... Well..." Kai stuttered mumbles. Kai would usually be more prepared than this and would have a huge story to tell EXO about. Detail after detail after detail. He really has nothing better to do. 
 
"Well?" Kyungsoo raised a brow suspiciously. 
 
"W-We didn't do much, we mostly stayed in most of the time." Kai quickly made up. 
 
"Really? In the two weeks, you didn't do anything?" Kyungsoo looked even more suspicious. 
 
Kai gulped. "Yes! I did do something..." Kai looked away awkwardly.
 
"And what was that then?"
 
"Urm, well... My... sister was visiting my parent's too but she had to leave early, but she spent too long at my parent's and we lost track of time. So it was already something like 11pm or something and she had to run to get the subway, I insisted I went with her but she said no," Kai basically told the story of how Jung Ah nearly got by that gang, but he used his "sister" instead of using Jung Ah's name. 
 
"Oh, my God!" D.O gaped at Kai after he had finished the story. "Is your sister okay? Are you okay?" 
 
Kai nodded, "Yeah! We're fine! She didn't get a scratch on her, I got a graze on my knuckles but that's about it..." Kai shrugged it off. Kyungsoo grabbed Jong In's hands and the red, sore-looking graze on his knuckles did confirm Kai's story. 
 
Kyungsoo went "Oh, my God!" again and Kai shushed him. 
 
"Don't tell the rest, they'll probably end up blabbing on a variety show and whatnot," Kai said and Kyungsoo nodded. 
 
* * *
 
The very next day, they immediately started to go back to work. They were now finally working on their comeback, and in the week that had just came back from their break, they had already nearly finished. But that was coming from nearly eight hour dance practices each day, so lots of work was done. 
 
The days dragged as they worked continously for their comeback, but the weeks strangely flew by. Then the weeks turned into months
 
Jong In never forgot about his dream, he'd think about it during dance practices, which wasn't good. He was the biggest set-back for EXO, he would always mess up the dance or the song and everybody was being annoyed by it. 
 
He just had to make sure what Jung Ah had messaged him, if she ever messaged him. So many days and weeks had passed, he couldn't remember the last time he called or messaged Jung Ah, and he couldn't check any time soon. 
 
EXO's manager had took away all of EXO's cell phones so they wouldn't get distracted during working for their comeback. Which didn't really help Kai. It actually made it harder for him to concentrate, because he was so paranoid if Jung Ah had left him loads of voicemails. What if she was in trouble? What if that dream was right? You never know if dreams can come true. Kai was being ridiculous but he actually thought that Jung Ah was in sort of life-threatening danger. He actually believed that her brother was hurting her in some way, and that's why he needed to worry. 
 
Especially what happened the last time he talked to Jung Ah over the phone. Her brother walked in on Jung Ah talking to Kai and he wasn't happy about it.
 
The other members were getting annoyed that Jong In was setting them back, making them work even more hours. But eventually (after a lot of slaps and punches and beat ups from the other members) Kai got it and EXO had done their comeback. 
 
After that was even more work; music shows, concerts, variety shows, fan signings, fan meetings and all sorts. And the manager would still not let them have their cell phones back, which would add weeks to them not having their phones. 
 
Throughout the music shows and fan signings, that was all that Kai cared about. Jung Ah. 
 
 
 
After another whole 2 weeks at LA for Kcon (meaning another 2 weeks of not talking to Jung Ah), Jong In came back to Korea with the rest of EXO. And not to mention, they were exhausted. And hungry. 
 
Lay rubbed his growling stomach, "When are we going to eat?" he moaned as the EXO van stopped at another traffic light. 
 
"Yeah!" the other boys cried at their manager. 
 
After a lot of and noise-making, their manager gave in, "Fine! Fine! We'll go to a restaurant to eat first!" and the EXO cheered. 
 
"Yipee! Hooray! Finally! Foooooddd!" they all cried in happiness. 
 
Out of nowhere, Jong In asked, "When will we get our phones back, manager hyung?" he sat up straight eagerly to ask his manager. 
 
"Eh? That's all you're wondering about, Jong In?" manager hyung replied, "Why do you want it back so badly?" he raised an eyebrow at Kai. 
 
Kai sat back grumpily, "No reason." 
 
"Yeah, actually, when we had our phones you'd always talk to this person. Who was it? Was it a girl?" an eager Tao asked. 
 
Jong In ignored Tao and asked manager hyung again, "You didn't answer my question- when are we getting our phones back?" he whined. 
 
"You didn't answer 'my' question," Tao muttered, moodily.
 
"Actually, Jong In," the manager said, turning a corner, "I gave back everybody's phones a while ago."
 
"What?!" anger was getting to Kai.
 
"I just didn't give yours back," manager hyung said simply, the rest of EXO stayed silent.
 
Kai huffed, "And why not?!" 
 
"I knew something was up when you were texting 24/7 and calling this person out in the hallway while everybody was asleep." the manager hyung said, "So I figured it was a girl, and none of yous are allowed to date until you're 27, you know that." 
 
"But she's not my girlfriend!" Kai exclaimed. 
 
"Ah, so it is a girl?" Jong In could see the manager hyung's smirk in the rear-view mirror in the van. 
 
"Y-Yeah, but that's not the point!" Kai said, the EXO members sat back awkwardly. 
 
"What 'is' the point then?" 
 
Kai gulped nervously, "S-She's important to me! You wouldn't understand!" 
 
"Try me." 
 
Kai looked down at his feet as he slowly slumped back into his seat again, "I... I can't tell you." Jong In said.
 
He thought about the idea of telling everybody, his best friends, his true past and self. He just couldn't do it, they'd never speak to him again. For lying to them. What if he got kicked out of EXO for lying about himself? 
 
Guilt sunk his heart and he felt something in his throat. Next thing he knew, he was crying. 
 
"S-Sorry," he choked through his tears, all of the EXO members looked at him with wide eyes, shocked at him crying. "I-I'm sorry. But I-I can't tell you." 
 
His manager parked the van, and he turned back to face Kai. He sighed, "It's okay if you don't tell me, Jong In. But I'm not allowed to give you the chance of breaking the rules without a good enough reason. Unless you tell me a fair reason why you should be able to be friends with this girl, you can't contact this her anymore, okay?" 
 
"But-"
 
"I said, okay?" the manager said again, clearly and Kai grunted an 'okay' before they all got out of the van to go to the restaurant.
 
The EXO members circled and huddled around Jong In with their faces filled with worry, "Are you okay, Jong In?" they all asked. 
 
Kai wiped his eyes and cleared his throat, "Yeah, I'll be fine," he laughed as if nothing happened and the EXO members were surprised at his quick recovery but were glad he was happy again. 
 
"Are you coming or not?" their manager called ahead of them, who was already at the entrance of the restaurant and the boys hurried themselves to the entrance, but Jong In stayed put.  
 
"You coming or not?" Sehun asked. 
 
"Ah, yeah, let me just do my shoe lace," Jong In replied and Sehun nodded.
 
"Be quick, okay?" Sehun said before catching up with the rest. 
 
And Kai stood there, a warm breeze hit his bare arms. He was finally able to wear a t-shirt after 2 years of waiting and trying to get rid of his scars; it felt good. To feel the soft wind on his arms again. To feel a chill in the air with his bare arms. 
 
It was already summer, nearly autumn now. It had been what? Weeks, months since Jong In had talked to Jung Ah? And he wasn't allowed to talk to her again unless he told his manager the real story.
 
The real story of Kim Jong In. The depressing story of Kim Jong In.
 
The story of how Kim Jong In's mother killed herself. The story of how Kim Jong In nearly killed himself.
 
The story of how Kim Jong In was saved by a girl called Jung Ah. The story of how Kim Jong In was saved by a beautiful girl called Jung Ah.
 
 
Kai bent down to tie his shoe lace.
 
 
The story of how Kim Jong In fell in love with a girl called Jung Ah without even knowing. On the day he nearly died.
 
The story of how Kim Jong In had to forget about the girl called Jung Ah. The story of how Kim Jong In had to not talk to the girl he fell in love with for months.
 
 
Kai looked up.  
 
 
And now, the story turned into how Kim Jong In saw the girl who saved his life, the girl who he fell in love with without him even knowing, the girl who changed his life forever with his very eyes after months and seasons had passed.
 
She was right there, in front of him. Well, in front of the entrance of the restaurant he was going to eat at with EXO. She was with someone else though.
 
Holding their hand. 
 
The orange light of the sun setting hit their faces, revealing the person she was with. 
 
Her brother. Daejung. 
 
Kai's face filled with hope as he saw Jung Ah turned into a face of disgust as he watched her ''brother'' place his lips on hers, embracing into a kiss. 
 
A long kiss. 
 
Kai stood up and walked towards the entrance, keeping his head down. 
 
"She lied to me," Kai uttered through his clenched teeth. "I don't even care," he lied to himself and he lifted his head, keeping it high. 
 
Jung Ah and whoever he was finally brought their lips apart and Jung Ah let out a weak smile. She looked at the man passing her and she realised who it was. 
 
Kai didn't even look at her, he just looked ahead as he kept his head high. Her eyes couldn't leave him, even when Daejung was talking to her.
 
"It's been good to be able to have a nice dinner after so long, just don't do that ever again, Jung Ah." Daejung said and Jung Ah let out a careless 'hm yeah, ok' at him as her attention was all on the guy walking towards her. 
 
Daejung looked at Jung Ah angrily, "Jung Ah! Listen to me!" he shook her arm vigorously. 
 
Jung Ah faced Daejung, taking her eyes off Kai immediately, "Sorry! Sorry!" she apologised, "I-I won't do that again, I'll listen to you more." she smiled at him, looking into his eyes. Daejung took Jung Ah's hand and they started to walk hand-in-hand. 
 
And as Jong In passed Jung Ah, he swiftly said in a whisper, "You lied." and simply carried on walking like nothing happened. 
 
As for Jung Ah, she gulped as those ghostly words were whispered in her ears and her eyes widened in shock as she walked with Daejung. She couldn't look back, she couldn't let Daejung know she knew Kai. She could only walk on and face the fact, yes, she did lie.
 
She'd have to live on in guilt that she lied to her friend, a friend that she saved and her friendship with him was now broken and worthless, she guessed. 
 
 
 
Kai walked into the restaurant and smiled as he approached his friends. They all greeted him happily and he sat down, "have you already ordered yet?" he asked. 
 
"No, we're just about to though," Kris said and their manager called a waiter over. 
 
 
 
Wait, what was that? 
 
The story of how Kim Jong In was betrayed by the person he trusted most in the world. 
 
 
 
 
 

A/N: I apologise so much for such a late update, the last time I updated this story was March! Sorry! But here's a new update ^-^ I hope you enjoyed it~ 

and by the way, I also wrote a oneshot with Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Sehun and Kris, it's based on Wolf and coincidently it's called Wolf as well! The link is here~