Chapter 6

Switched

2019

 
Kyuhyun lazed around the house the entire morning, exploring the house. He opened every cabinet and drawer, trying to find something to amuse himself. There was no starcraft (to his disappointment), and he didn't know what else he could do to occupy his time. Well, he used to practice his vocals and dance during his spare time, but there wasn't any use practicing it now.
 
 
 
He noticed a family portrait in the living. He was there, lips curved in a smile that didn't really reach his eyes. Sulli was beaming happily, her optimism radiating from the still picture.
 
And then... a boy. He was seated on Kyuhyun's lap, baring his two rows of teeth in an attempted smile, but he looked unhappy and uncomfortable. Kyuhyun felt sorry for the young child. 
 
 
 
After some kind of random treasure hunting adventure, he found this grey metal cabinet in the corner of the storage room, with a strange digital lock that glowed with green LED light. He fiddled with the lock for a few minutes, but still didn't manage to find the method to unlock the thing. With a sigh of disappointment, he stood up, dusting flakes of dust off his knees and exited the room. In his mind, he made it a goal to figure out the lock.
He knew, in the back of his mind, that this was an invasion of privacy. But when something intriguted him, he would not shake it off until he got what he wanted. He had to know what's inside.
 
 
 
Kyuhyun had planned to go out and explore the neighbourhood, but the weather was insane. A huge storm reigned over the sky shortly after Sulli's departure, and at lunch, the rain disappeared abruptly, turning the land of Seoul in an inferno oven. There were so many odd things around him, and he was puzzled. 
 
However, one thing that puzzled him the most was his current situation. How did this kind of thing happen? There was simply no explanation, well, unless he was really in a coma, or he was living in his so very strange afterlife. 
 
What is happening to his real self? What about all those shows and programmes he had been scheduled for? What is happening to Super Junior, with the scandal still going on? What's happening to her?
 
The weight pressing on his heart has been lifted slightly though, since there was no reporters, no antis, no fans to deal with. He had had enough, and it was time for a break. He could always find a way back to his real world someday. But it wasn't today. He sighed, shaking his head off the nagging worries.
 
 
 
He won't worry about it yet.
 
Not today.
 
 
 
With a small wad of cash he found in a study desk drawer, he changed out of his wrinkled attire in a casual outfit, and headed out for a breather. 
There weren't much people outside. He understood why after two minutes of walking on the pavements. He felt as if he was being grilled in all directions. His skin was turning furiously red, as if it was mad at Kyuhyun for exposing it out under the scorching rays.  
 
"Maybe I should have stayed home," he thought as he squinted ahead under the heat.
 
He headed for a grocery store three streets away to buy an ice cream cone to cool down. As he walked on past a childcare centre, a high-pitched yell caught his attention. 
 
 
 
"Oppa!"
 
 
 
Kyuhyun blinked before scrambling behind a corner to peek at the commotion.
 
"I don't like you, so stop bothering me! I have to go home now." 
 
The boy turned away, twisting desperately away from the girl's grip. When his eyes met Kyuhyun, he froze. Kyuhyun blinked. That boy seemed so familiar...
 
"Father...." the boy trailed off.
 
Kyuhyun's jaw dropped. He looked behind him, but there was no one. He turned back to face the gaping children. He widened his eyes, almost comically.
 
"You... called me?"
 
The young boy's grimanced as he tried to shake off the clinging girl.
 
"Hayeon-ah, please let go. My father is here."
 
The girl didn't appear to be detered. Instead, she jumped up and down, her pigtails bouncing agitatedly. "Really? Father, it is nice to meet you," she bowed with a wide smile. "I am Jung Hayeon, your future daughter-in-law!"
 
Kyuhyun glanced from the troubled boy go the overly enthusiastic girl. He inwardly winced at the girl's straight-forward words. 
 
"Ah, uh, it is nice to meet you. Uh," Kyuhyun paused, trying to recall the boy's name. "Erm, Dae...? Come on, let's go home."
 
The boy sighed, but the grip on his arm wasn't loosening. 
 
"Hayeon, I think you should go home as well. See you next time."
 
Kyuhyun hurried over to the boy and pulled him away. The girl let go, but not before protesting,"But oppa hasn't accepted my proposal yet!"
 
Kyuhyun merely turned back to wave goodbye, and tried to ignore the whimpers coming from the young girl. 
 
 
 
"What is wrong with her?" He muttered under his breath, but the boy still heard him. 
 
"Nothing... please pretend that you never saw her. She's annoying." the boy lowered his head, face reddening. Though the blush wasn't due to the weather.
 
He looked down to look at the boy, who was starting to scrunch up his face in disgust. Suddenly he remember who he was.
 
"You're my son...? How old are you?" He blurted out, staring open-mouthed at the young boy.
 
The boy frowned up at Kyuhyun.
 
"Appa, are you feeling ok?"
 
Kyuhyun almost slapped himself. "Uh, I'm fine. I just...I-" he trailed off, not knowing how to continue.
 
 
 
The boy wasn't bothered by this, however. He was more intriguted by the melting ice cream Kyuhyun was holding in his other hand. Kyuhyun noticed the longing expression in Myungdae's eyes.
 
"You want some?"
 
His son widened his eyes, which started to sparkle in excitment. "Really? But you said before that ice cream isn't good-"
 
Kyuhyun smiled at the small boy. "Nonsense. On a hot day like this, an ice cream is the best. Let's go over to the store."
 
After getting an ice cream from the same store, they walked home together. Silence enveloped the duo. Kyuhyun couldn't help himself from shooting glances at the unsuspecting Myungdae. 
 
"...he really looks a lot like Sulli."
 
Especially when he smiled.
 
But he didn't smile a lot.
 
"Why?" Kyuhyun thought.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2009
 
 
Kyuhyun kicked the air, burying his face among the fluffy pillows.
 
"Oh, great job, Kyuhyun. You managed to offend a... collegue on the first day of his dream job," Kyuhyun cursed. "How much more stupid can you get?"
 
Someone shouted from outside the door, and Kyuhyun ignored it, despite knowing that the call was directed at him.
 
"Why, why, why, why?!
 
 
 
"Kyuhyun-ah! Stop lazing around!"
 
Kyuhyun groaned, letting himself sink into the mattress before shooting his face up to meet the glare  of his roommate. 
 
"Aish... Sorry."
 
He scratched his head absently, before sitting up to slowly get off the bed.
 
Sungmin blinked at him, silently boring his scary glare into Kyuhyun's head. Sungmin was the next "unlucky" member arranged to reteach his all the dance, since Heechul didn't exactly do a good job, and other members had their own schedules to attend. His break was cut because of that, and seeing Kyuhyun waste his own time only managed to fire him up even more.
 
 
 
"Hurry up, slow poke."
 
"Alright, alright," Kyuhyun sighed, raising his hands in the air, as if surrendering to Sungmin's commands.
 
The dance practice was even more hellish than the previous one. Sungmin was unrelenting, ordering and spitting at Kyuhyun the correct directions. Having been the awkward dancer in his, er, previous life, (he was even nicknamed "the dancing turtle" by his friends), even learning the signature "Sorry, sorry" dance proved challenging to Kyuhyun.
 
To sum it up, Kyuhyun felt like he was in the army again, only this time, he was being trained in dance.
 
And it hurt. A lot.
 
 
 
"Sungmin-sunbae, could we rest for a while?" Kyuhyun panted, sprawled on the floor in defeat, pespiration rolling off his body like a waterfall.
 
The older male sighed, wiping off the sweat on his forehead and temples with a pink towel. "We'll stop here for today. Make sure you practice on your own when you have so much time on your hands. You have to learn everything in 5 days, so don't treat these practice sessions as a joke. We're doing our best to help you here, so cooperate with us."
 
Kyuhyun took in a deep breath. "Yes, Sungmin-sunbae."
 
Sungmin was about to walk off, when he paused suddenly, turning back to look at Kyuhyun.
 
"Call me hyung if you want to."
 
"Huh? But we're not that close-"
 
"I'm just saying. If you want to, feel free to call me that. I won't mind."
 
With that final sentence, he walked into the kitchen for water, leaving Kyuhyun still breathing heavily on the floor.
 
 
 
Several hours later, Sungmin left for his training session, while Eunhyuk came back with Donghae tagging along. They had free time, and decided to spend it with the recuperating maknae.
 
"Yah, Kyuhyun-ah."
 
Kyuhyun paused from his "Sorry, sorry" pose, looking into the mirror to see a beaming Eunhae.
 
"Working hard eh? Sungmin's being really tough on you?" Eunhyuk said as he approached Kyuhyun.
 
Kyuhyun relieved himself from the dance pose and bowed slightly at them. 
 
"Donghae-sunbae," he said to Eunhyuk. "Yes, it has been tough." He added towards a puzzled Donghae, "Hello, Eunhyuk-sunbae."
 
Eunhyuk burst out laughing, with a exasperated Donghae shaking his head at the hysterical dancing (plus laughing) machine, and a very confused Kyuhyun.
 
"What's so funny? Did I... do something wrong?" 
 
Eunhyuk took a breather from his laughing to say, "No, you're good. Keep it like that."
 
Donghae started towards Kyuhyun. "No, actu-"
 
"Yah, Hae-ah! Don't!"
 
Kyuhyun glanced from the still-laughing man to the face-palming one. "Eh... Donghae-sunbae, you're alright...?"
 
Donghae nodded, before blinking stupidly at Kyuhyun. Eunhyuk nodded vigorously, gasping for air after his laughing fest. Donghae tsked after realising that the question was not directed at him, then telling Kyuhyun to take a break. 
 
"Why? Sungmin-sunbae told me to pra-"
 
"Aish, you've worked hard enough. You can continue later. But now," Donghae glanced over at Eunhyuk, who was wiping tears from his eyes (due to his weird bout of laughing). "We have something to talk to you about."
 
__________________________________________________________________________
 
A/N: I .... I .... really need more Sulli moments. I just can't find any to put her in, yet. SORRY D:
Notice the year in grey. It's showing the year the characters are in. I've decided to put in the years so as to not confuse anyone. 
By the way, MAMA was really... well, I don't know. But anyway,
CONGRATS TO SJ and F(X)! I LURVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH 

I love you readers too