Chapter 7

Switched

2019

"Unnie! Can you help me answer the call?"
 
Sulli slammed the cabinet door shut and started to pick up the mountain of paper stacks onto her desk. A series of click-clacks sounded against the bustling office as a woman walked hastily to Sulli's desk and picked up the vibrating cell phone.
 
"Hello? Who is this?"
 
The woman furrowed her brows and glanced at the exhausted Sulli who was still piling the paper stacks onto her desk. With a confused pout, she passed the phone to Sulli. Sulli sighed, and reached for the phone. Her friend started to carry the stacks of paper for her instead.
 
"Hello?" she spoke as she pressed the phone between her shoulder and ear.
 
"Mummy... I'm hungry."
 
"Ask your daddy to buy you something to eat?"
 
"He bought me an ice cream. But I'm still hungry. And he says he doesn't want to go out in that 'hell of a weather'."
 
"Myunggie! Who taught you that?" Sulli exclaimed, pausing from her work momentarily.
 
"Taught me what?"
 
"That... Never mind," Sulli suppressed a tired sigh before continuing, "Sorry Myunggie. I'm really busy right now. How about I get Qian Noona to get you something on the way back? She can go home now, so I can ask her to get something for you, is that ok?"
 
"Ok, mummy!" Her son replied enthusiastically at the prospect of food. She heard someone saying "Who are you talking to?" in the background and a series of scuffling noises before a voice came over the line.
 
"Hello?"
 
Sulli closed her eyes momentarily, reveling in the sweetness in the voice even though she knew he meant anything but sweetness in his tone.
 
"Hello?" he repeated with slightly more curiosity.
 
"Ah, Kyuhyunnie. Myunggie called me just now to say he's hungry-"
 
"I know. But it's raining like mad over here and no way am I going out into that hell of a weather."
 
Sulli rolled her eyes, realising that Myunggie had picked that phrase from his father. "I know, I know. That's why I'm sending Qian Unnie over. Oh, and please be careful with your choice of words, especially when Myunggie is around."
 
A short silence, before a short awkward laugh came through. "Ah, sorry."
 
Sulli dipped her head with a small smile. "She will call when she's reaching. I'm hanging up."
 
She reluctantly pulled the phone away, but a urgent yell from the speaker brings it back to her ear.
 
"Yes?"
 
"Oh, uh," he pauses. "When are you-oh never mind. Erm anyway, who is Qian?"
 
Sulli raised her eyebrows at his sudden change of question. "She's my colleague. And a very good friend. You'll see her later."
 
"Oh, ok. So, erm, good bye, I guess..?"
 
Sulli managed a shy laugh. "Good bye."
 
A click sounded and she stared at the phone. Someone clears beside Sulli, and she glances up surprisingly, forgetting that her friend was still beside her. The office was becoming more silent and with a sudden panicked realisation, Sulli jumped up from her previously squatting position. Hefting a few stacks of paper into her arms, she stuffed her phone in her pocket and threw a smile over her shoulder at her friend as she hurried towards the exit.
 
"Unnie, I'm counting on you!"
 
Her friend shook her head and smiled. Oh, Sulli.
 
 
She headed for her car in the underground carpark and drove to somewhere to grab some food before driving to her friend's house. Fighting the storm under a miserable umbrella wasn't easy, but having endured worse back in her homeland, she eventually made it to the doorstep.
 
She waited for a while, not enjoying standing outside with the wind blowing at her cold, soaked body. Eventually someone opened the door. A very tall and handsome man.
 
Both of them widened their eyes at each other. 
 
"You?!"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2009
 
"WHAT?!"
 
Eunhyuk nodded his head solemnly, while Donghae pursed his lips and shrugged.
 
Meanwhile, Kyuhyun just gaped at the duo like a goldfish. 
 
"You know, it has been going on for a month already. That's why your relationship with other members hasn't been very good. And to add to that accident-you losing your memory-isn't helping the situation at all."
 
Donghae nodded in agreement to Eunhyuk's words.
 
Kyuhyun sat back in his seat and ran his fingers through his unruly hair. He sighed, before muttering, "This is complicated."
 
"Hey, relax. Everyone's doing their best to help. Leeteuk hyung and Manager hyung are having a tough time though."
 
Kyuhyun shut his eyes, guilt seeping into his bones. 
 
"You're not making things any more easy for him, Dong-I mean Hyukkie."
 
Donghae rolled his eyes at Eunhyuk. 
 
"But anyway, your voice will always win fangirls over. My fanclub membership number has been dropping ever since you joined us." Eunhyuk joked.
 
Kyuhyun looked at Eunhyuk in horror. "Really? Sorry!"
 
Donghae and Eunhyuk looked at each other, before turning towards Kyuhyun. 
 
"Are you for real?" they both said together disbelievingly.
 
"What?"
 
The duo blinked at Kyuhyun, before Eunhyuk turned towards Donghae to whisper something. Kyuhyun was curious of course, but he didn't feel that he had the right to poke into their business. Heck, he didn't feel as if he belonged at all.
 
When is this dream-no, nightmare-ending?
 
He stood up, announcing that he was going out for a breather to the still-whispering duo.
 
Outside, he walked along the streets, downcast. Originally, he thought tough training was the only downside to stardom. Turns out it wasn't this simple. He didn't even realise the lines of girls trailing after him and the number of camera lenses trained on him. 
 
Suddenly, a pair of hands latched onto his arm and pulled him into a dark narrow alley as he turned around the corner. He gasped in surprise, before a hand shot up to cover his mouth as the hooded stranger pulled the both of them behind a trash can. Panicking, he still let out muffled yells while fighting to pull the hand off the stranger. In order to hush him up, the stranger pulled off the hood to reveal her identity, making Kyuhyun squint at the petite stranger before dropping his jaw in shock upon registering the stranger's face.
 
"Hello," the stranger grinned.