Chapter 5

Switched

2019

Kyuhyun placed a spoonful of rice in his mouth as he stared at his wife.
 
Sulli looked up from her phone and caught his eye. He blushed and looked away quickly.
 
"Eat quickly," Sulli said as if she wasn't bothered by her husband's weird actions.
 
"Mmm," he replied without looking at her.
 
Sulli got up from her seat and went into the bedroom to change.
 
 
 
Kyuhyun continued to stuff rice into his mouth. After finishing his food, he went to the bedroom door to knock on it.
 
"Sulli-ah, what do I... work as?"
 
A moment of silence ensued, before she answered, "I don't think you will want to work today. I'll tell chingu later."
 
"What?"
 
Sulli opened the door, scaring Kyuhyun slightly as her wide eyes stared at him disappointingly.
 
"You better stay at home to rest for this week."
 
"What? Why? I'm fine."
 
"You can't even remember your job. If you go to work, things will be worse."
 
Kyuhyun remained silent, as Sulli pushed past him.
 
She smells of lavender. That random thought ran through his mind to his slight embarrassment.
 
He was never close to her before, and he barely talked to her, let alone know how she smelled like. He felt even more awkward than before. She was just a labelmate, but now she is his wife. Well it wasn't technically his, but he still had to treat her as his wife. Which he had no experience, whatsoever, before.
 
 
 
"I'm leaving now. Call if you're in any sort of... Trouble. Bye," Sulli said as she picked up her bag.
 
"Bye," Kyuhyun replied, wondering how she would be getting to work. He went to the window and looked at Sulli get into a silver car.
 
"Maybe it's her friend," he thought as he left the window.
 
Meanwhile, Sulli got into her friend's car, beaming her bright smile.
 
"Good morning Ssul!"
 
"Good morning, chingu!"
 
"Aish, didn't I tell you to not be so formal? Oh, where's Kyuhyun?"
 
Sulli shook her head, sighing. "He can't remember much, not even his job. Can you help me tell your Lead Attorney that he has to be on leave for a week?"
 
"Ah... Okay," her friend smiled, "And next time just call me Minho, okay?"
 
 
 
Sulli didn't reply, but shook her head and smiled.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
2009
 
Kyuhyun was waiting for the lift, looking around, when suddenly the side view of a young girl caught his eye. She was in her early teens--15 or 16-- and had the cute smile that seemed to light up the whole lobby. She was talking to a taller male in his late teens, and he was chuckling at something she said. Kyuhyun observed them from his perpheral vision, feeling a strange feeling upsetting his stomach.
 
The voice... and the smile.... It seems so familliar to him. He couldn't put a finger on this strange familiarity, until she turned to look at him with a smile.
 
It was as if something hit him in his stomach. His chest constricted, and it felt hard to breathe. That smile....
 
 
 
"Kyuhyun-ssi! You just got back from the hospital, right?"
 
At this, the male standing beside the girl turned his head to look at Kyuhyun. 
 
It became even harder to breathe. It felt like he was climbing the Mount Everest without an oxygen tank.
 
"Oh... Uh, Jin---Sulli. M-Minho," he stuttered, eyes wider than normal.
 
"Kyuhyun-ah," Minho grinned in greeting and went over to hug Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun wanted to just push him away, but it would seem rude. And Sulli was still beaming at him.
 
"So, how have you been? You must be tired," Sulli said as she approached them. A ding sounded with the opening of a lift.The trio went inside and pressed their respective floor buttons. Kyuhyun took note of Sulli's floor number.
 
"Yes... But I'm fine now, thanks," Kyuhyun politely replied. It felt weird to him, because he rarely used Jongdaemal (formal language) with her.
 
Sulli bowed her head with a cute grin.
 
Minho wrapped his arm around Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun felt a strong urge to shrug off the arms. I can't, Sulli is still here.
 
"You know, the Kyuline has been really, really worried about you. Especially Changmin. He was so worried that he couldn't concentrate on his acting and singing!"
 
"Really?" Kyuhyun was surprised, though he didn't know who Changmin is.
 
Minho nodded solemnly. "But now that you're fine, he getting back to normal now. But he's a lot of projects now, so we won't be seeing him any time soon."
 
The lift ding-ed and Sulli exited first. "I'm going back to my dorm. Bye, Kyuhyun-ssi! Bye, oppa!"
 
Kyuhyun replied with a "Bye," while Minho answered with a "Yah, didn't I tell you to just call me Minho?"
 
Sulli giggled, but just waved good bye. The lift doors closed.
 
In a burst of anger, Kyuhyun nudged Minho fiercely, making Minho lose his balance in shock with a yelp.
 
"Kyuhyun! What's wrong?!"
 
Kyuhyun only glared at him, before suddenly realising that he had no right, and no real reason, to hit Minho. His eyes widened with that realisation and his mouth dropped open.
 
"I--I'm sorry, I didn't m--mean to---"
 
Minho let out a long sigh. "It's fine."
 
 
 
The lift doors opened again and it was Minho who got out.
 
"See you," Minho said.
 
Kyuhyun nodded guiltly, and hurriedly closed the lift doors. When the doors were fully closed, Kyuhyun leaned against the wall of the lift and groaned in frustration.
 
 
 
It was like reliving his "nightmare" ten years ago.