Mark of a Painful Scar

Roads Untraveled

My name is Chester Kim, 24 years old. Right now, I'm living alone....  

 

...alone in this miserable world called life.

 

I'm walking on the road where you can hear the sound of pain, hopelessness, and sorrow. I'm not blind... it's just that all I can see is total darkness. The darkness that shed the path towards my own happiness. You know what, I really don't need those fancy scraps or money for me to be happy. I just want to be with my family, with my best bro and with the girl I truly love. They we're my inspiration...

 

...they we're my source of strength, my happiness and my own identity.

 

But all of them were vanished. It seems that they've already went to a paradise where they can feel infinite peace and happiness. And as for me, I'm still crossing my path towards my own sadness. Do I ever truly have the choice? 

 

"Weep not for roads untraveled
Weep not for paths left lone
Cause beyond every bend is a long blinding end
It's the worst kind of pain I've known"

 

It all started a long time ago, when I was a kid. Or should I say, Little Private. I used to join my dad on his childhood adventures. Every journey he had gained him experience and these experiences are shared to me. One of the things I remember is that he taught me about the value of patience when we went to a fishing trip.

**FLASHBACK**

Chester: Dad, we've been sitting here  for two hours. Where's the fish? 

Dad: Maybe he went on the other side of the lake.

Chester: But Dad, you told me that there are more fish in our spot.

Dad: Patience, son. This is what fishing is all about. You see, there are some things you can't get the easy way. Sometimes, you have to wait. Who knows, you might get that limited edition Transformer robot you want to play with.

**FLASHBACK END**

Yeah, he was a great mentor. For me, he was a veteran... a hero that a child will be proud to show to the world. But behind a great soldier, there's also a medic. Or better to say a nurse slash his first lady, and that was my Mom. She was a sweetest and the most caring mother ever. The one thing I learned from my mom was that...

**FLASHBACK**

Mom: If life gives you storm, think of the rainbows. Everything will be fine after all.

Chester: Uhmm.. Mom, do you mean "If life gives you lemons, turn it to lemonade"?

Mom: *giggles* That's the same thing, dear. 

**FLASHBACK END**

And those hugs and kisses coming from my Mom was the best thing I could ever had in my life. I knew how lucky I am to be with my parents who are always there to give me love and care but I never forget to return it back to show how much I value their sacrifices for me.

 

Those we're the greatest memories I had with them, but everything's changed when my Dad bid farewell to us. A shocking phone call from my Mom created my first wound.

**FLASHBACK**

*phone rings*

Chester: Hello, Mom.

Mom: I'm sorry, Chester. I have something to tell you. 

Chester: Yeah?

Mom: Your Dad... *sobs* he passed away.

Chester: WHAT!? No, Mom. You have to be kidding me!

Mom: I know it's painful, son. He did his best to fight, and I think he did it. *sobs* That was his final mission after all so he wanted to tell  you that you're the greatest soldier that your dad has ever trained. 

Chester: NOOOOO! DAD! *cries*

**FLASHBACK END**

He died because of a heart attack. Who would've thought that even a great man has its own weak point. But seriously, it was a great loss for me and the dogtag with my name engraved on it was the only memory he gave me before he left this world. Months have passed, my misery grew worse because my mom was next and ended up in the same thing.

 **FLASHBACK**

Chester: Mom! Hang on, please! Don't leave me alone here!

Mom: Chester, I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I let my suffering affect you.

Chester: What are you talking about? You loved me and I loved you back, Mom. I also did the same thing to Dad and that promise has been unbreakable to me. I knew you can overcome it, Mom. Please.

Mom: Hehe.. I understand you, dear. We were so grateful that we had a son who can do anything to care for us.

Chester: *nearly sobbing* I knew you would, Mom. But you have to hang on, please. I don't wanna lose you, you're my only hope.

Mom: I'm really sorry, Chester. *starts to lose oxygen* Before I pack my bags and leave, there's only one thing I'd like to tell you, Sa...rang...hae (I love you) *dies*

Chester: NOOOOO! MOM! MOM! WAKE UP! PLEASE! COME ON! WAKE UP! MOOOOOOOOOM!

**FLASHBACK END**

The doctors did everything they can to bring my Mom back alive, but they failed. I guess the time has come for them to go. They left me alone, because they believe that I can handle it on my own. But am I ready to continue the battle without them? 

 

The snowy 2nd of November was the day I visited my parents' grave. I lit up the candles and prayed for their soul. As I remember the moments I spent with them, tears shed into my eyes and every drop of it lands into my dogtag. After a few minutes of mourning, I didn't waste my time standing on the cementery for nothing. I left the place and continue my own journey just like my father did before.