Chapter 2:Memory Lane

What Love Got To Do With It

Two days before Vangie and Randy decided to fly back to Philippines; Vangie contacted Gerald and try to convince him to go also in order to pay his last respect to his Tito William.

Gerald: Mom I am so sorry about Tito William but I can’t just drop everything and fly back to Philippines. I know for sure Tito William understand.

Vangie: But RJ, this is the time that Kimmy needs your support.

Gerald: Mom I can talk to Kim and I can give her my sympathy even though I’m not there beside her.

Vangie: Son, I know but in this case, Kim’s situation is different. I can’t look at her straight in the eyes and tell her that everything will be fine because I know it’s not. I can’t imagine how she feels, How to be alone at 14 years old.

Gerald: Mom, please, if this one of your guilty trip so I’ll say yes to what you want, forget it.

Vangie: But Gerald Kimmy needs you for moments like this. She has nobody but us.

Gerald: Mom I can talk to her, is she there with you? But I just want to tell you that you need to stop playing match maker. You know that I am not attracted to her that I have a girlfriend. There’s no way I’ll go out with her so stop what you’re thinking right now.

All this Kimmy heard, because Mom Vangie saw her walking towards her and then she grab her and give the phone to her without Gerald’s knowing that its not his Mom anymore he is talking too.

At this time Kim doesn’t know what to feel anymore. With all the heart aches she been through this past few days, Gerald’s issue is the last thing she wants to deal.

Gerald: Okay give me Kim now, if she is there…(after few second) Mom, Mom, are you still there?

Kim: Hello

Gerald: Hello Kim, is that you?....How are you?....Kim I am sorry that I can’t be in Tito William’s funeral….I just want to extend my condolences to you.

Kim: That’s Okay. I know you’re busy.

Gerald: Again I’m so sorry.

Kim: As I said, that’s ok.

Gerald: Ok take care

Kim: Thank you.

Gerald ended the conversation but some how he doesn’t understand what he feels. He feels the coldness in Kimmy’s voice.

Gerald POV: OMG….am I really that insensitive? Why I feel so guilty all of the sudden? She doesn’t sounds like the Kimmy I know, the positive and very optimistic Kimmy I know…(thinking) ..Lighten up Gerald; you are just guilty that’s why you feel that way.

Two days after, Randy, Vangie, Kim, Yaya Pokwang and Mang Bert fly to Philippines for the funeral. On the day of the funeral, Vangie was really worried for Kim.

The funeral is just small and solemn, just a close friend and business partner. They want to protect Kim; they don’t want the accident to go on public. Hide Kim from all the press as one Chiu’s heir left behind to took over the multi billions businesses her parents left.

Vangie: Kimmy, iha, go ahead cry it out, be angry.

Kim: Tita, I am so tired of crying, I can’t cry anymore. My heart got so tired of sad feeling that I don’t know what I feel anymore.

Vangie: (crying) Kimmy, you know I love you like my own. You’re the daughter we never had.

Kim: I know Tita; I am very thankful and lucky that I got you and Tito Randy. Don’t worry I am okay. And beside, I figure out that Papa must be sad if he look at me crying. He used to tell me all the time how to be strong and don’t cry because crying won’t solve my problem.

Vangie: (hugging Kim) I’ll always be here for you.

Kim: Thank you Tita…..you know what else I figure out?

Vangie: what iha?

Kim: I figure out that God maybe doesn’t want my Mama to be sad anymore that’s why Papa need to follow her….don’t worry I am not angry to my parents or to God. I know that all of this happens for a purpose. And whatever that is, I promise that my parent’s will be proud of me, I won’t disappoint them. (Then she just gives a big smile and left)

Vangie: (talking to her self) promise Tessa, I’ll take good care of your Kimmy just like my very own.

After the funeral, Kim talked to her Tita Vangie.

Kim: Tita Vangie, can I stay in our Ancestral Home for the last 2 days that we are here in Philippines? I just want to spend my time their and reminisce our happy moments there.

Vangie: sure Iha, your Yaya Pokwang and Mang Bert will be coming with you. I can come too if you don’t mind.

Kim: Tita of course I don’t mind you coming, but I also know how busy you are. If your thinking abut me, don’t worry I’ll be fine. And beside it’s not that I’m going alone.

So Kim her Yaya Pokwang and Mang Bert drive off to Chiu’s Ancestral Home. Kim spends 2 days walking back to her happy moments of childhood. All the memories that make her smiles laugh and sometimes cry. All the memories that are all worth walking back for.

In this house she learned how to ride a bike, fly a kite, learn to swim and met her first crush that slowly develop into her first love.

She was 6 years old when she meet Gerald Randolph Opsima Anderson, the son of her Tita Vangie, her Mama’s best friend who live in Missouri Texas for a long time, after she got married. Gerald was 9 years old then, they become close and always together in every family vacations and gathering.

At that young age, she convinced Gerald to marry her so as agreed; they both went to see their parents. Kim is always talkative and assertive at the very young age; it shows how smart she is, While Gerald is timid and shy.

Kim: ( at 7 years old, running while pulling Gerald behind her) come Ge, hurry lets go see Papa and Mama.

Gerald: (at 10 years old, already good looking and tall, following Kim) okay.

Kim: (as they find their parents) Papa, Mama I want Gerald to marry me.

William: (laughing) Pilya talaga, Kimmy you can’t get married, your only 7 years old.

Kim: I know, I am not saying now, later when I become big,  maybe 17?..Then Ge will be…(trying to count her finger)

Gerald: (responded)…. 20….20 years old.

Both parents just laugh.

Randy: (took Gerald and put him on his lap) Kimmy, iha I don’t really mind if one day you become Gerald’s wife.

Vangie: me too, I would love you to be my daughter in-law. Hahahaha

Kimmy: (so happy) yippee you heard that Ge? We’re going to get married when we become big. (Then she tiptoed and give Gerald a kiss which bring everyone to laughter)

Tessa: (laughing) like father like daughter. Hahahaha Kimmy, baby how about Gerald? Did you ask if He wants to marry you?

Kim: (looking at Gerald as she realizes that she forgot to ask him) … No not yet….but I think He doesn’t mind.

Tessa: (laughing) doesn’t mind? Kimmy you need to know if Gerald wants to marry you because He loves you.

Kim: oh okay. (Then she faces Gerald)…Ge, do you love me... (While she two hands is on her waist) Not now….later when we become big so we can get married.

Gerald: (looking confused).hah...I think so.

Kim: there Mama , Ge said he think so.

Both parents just laugh watching their two innocent children.

That’s one best memory she ever had with Gerald….when she was 7 years old…..But what happen then...all night she keep asking her self.

What happen, what gone wrong? She just wake up one day and everything seems to slip away from her hands while she is wade awake…and the sad thing is….she can’t do anything about it.