Chapter 4: The Plan

What Love Got To Do With It

Today is the day of Vangie’s arrival; excitedly Kim went with Manong Bert to pick her up at the airport.

Kim: Hello Tita (kiss her) how was your flight?

Vangie: (kiss Kim) It was good, can’t complain. I am so excited to see you and tell you  the good news.

Kim: what good news?

Vangie: Let’s go and have a coffee in a relaxing place then I’ll tell you everything.

Kim: okay

Manong Bert picks up Vangie’s small luggage and opens the back seat door for them.

Vangie: Manong Bert let’s drop by Bouton Rouge at Yonge and Dundas.

Manong Bert: Yes Ma’am.

Kim: Are you hungry Tita?

Vangie: Not really but I can use some nice Crème Brulee over a cup of coffee.

Kim: Okay (smile)

Vangie: So tell me, are you excited for your Easter Cantata? I heard from Pastor Jim that your piece is really breath taking.

Kim: It’s okay, two more weeks from the performance night.

Vangie: Yes I know and to tell you missy, I’ll be here to stay until that performance night.

Kim: (excited) really? How about Tito Randy?  He won’t mind for you to be here on Easter Week?

Vangie: Your Tito Randy left last night to Germany to see the new machine for our garment factory and after that He will be flying straight to China so I wont see Him for almost a month.

Kim: Wow! That’s long

Vangie: yup but you know how it is.

Kim: I know (then just smile) how about Ge Tita, he’ll be alone.

Vangie: (deep sigh) hmmm Gerald, I don’t know what to do with that boy anymore. He is in Philippines right now. Your Tito Randy sends him there after He got trouble.

Kim: why what happened? How about school?

Vangie: Well, after he finish his high school he decided to take a break, He said he just need one semester to really think hard what he wants in University. But then instead of soul searching, he end up club hopping every night, party all the time. So your Tito Randy had enough with his partying and sends him to the Philippines to take some responsibilities in one of our Garment factory in Gensan.

Kim: oh, so is he okay with it?

Vangie: He got to choice, so his been there for 2 weeks now. You haven’t talk to Him?

Kim: No (she choose not to let her know that it’s been ages since she spoke to Gerald)

They got interrupted when Mang Bert told them;

Mang Bert: Ma’am Vangie we are here, I’ll drop you right at the door then Kimmy just call me when you’re done. The parking lot is far.

Kim: Okay Mang Bert

They place their order as the waiter come.

Vangie: So Iha, one reason I’m here is that, your birthday is coming, you’re turning sixteen….sweet sixteen. We want to give you a sweet sixteen birthday party in the Philippines that is if it’s okay with you. I was thinking that maybe if your parents are still alive, they want to celebrate this special birthday.

Kim: (not saying anything but just playing with her cake)

Vangie: Iha, don’t you want to have your birthday back in Philippines?

Kim: (look up in smile) …. I do. But do you think we have enough time?

Vangie: of course we have so much time, leave it to Tita …. You know me I’m good in making the impossible, possible. LOL.

Kim: Okay Tita, but in one condition.

Vangie: here we go again….I am scared of your condition hahahah

Kim: (laughing) … I just want a small party. No announcement, no press, and no socialites’ people I don’t know. Hehehe

Vangie: promise none of those. But I want you to invite anyone you want.

Kim: anyone?

Vangie: anyone!

Kim: Thank you Tita (then give Vangie a hug)

That night, Kim starts to think all her friends back in Philippines that she wants to invite. She got few friends left behind, few special friends. She made a list and the last name she right down is the guy she wants to be her . “Robbie” – the guy that no one knows except for Yaya Pokwang and Mang Bert; Robbie is one of her trusted friend. The one who accepted her unconditionally regardless of who she is, even though Robbie grow up in orphanage, He has a much tamed attitude. You can’t miss the fact that this boy must come from a good family. Smart, goal oriented, has a strong principle in life and same as Kim, and has focus in everything he does.

The next morning, Kim gives her list to Tita Vangie.

Vangie: Good Iha, I’ll give this to Jenny (her personal assistant) so she can send invitation to this people. But let me see, do I know this people?

Kim: Yes Tita you know them, most of them are my old friends, and they are the kids of your friends. Just within family friends circle.

Vangie: Will then, lets see… Melissa Ricks, still your best friend hah, Erich, Beauty, Empress, Kitkat and Maja. And you know these girls have boyfriends now.

Kim: Yes Tita I know. Heheheh They can bring there boyfriends.

Vangie: You know who their boyfriend? Coz if you don’t I can tell you. Heheheh Gerald will be happy coz Jake; Rayver & Enchong are his friend. Actually Jake is his best friend, the boyfriend of your best friend Melissa. Heheheh

Kim: Yes Tita I know me and Melissa talks like almost everyday. Heheheh

Vangie: Good then, this is perfect. I know this party will be one of your most memorable one. After all a lady only turn 16thonce.

Then Vangie notice one name which is not familiar to her.

Vangie: Iha, Robbie Dominggo? Do I know him?

Kim: I don’t think so Tita. But, is that okay?

Vangie: Of course it is okay. How did you meet him?

Kim: Tita Robbie is a long time friend of mine, He is from Orphanage Mama is the one supporting him until now He is still under the foundation as top recipient. (Then she stops and tries to see the reaction of her Tita Vangie) …. Hhmmm Tita is that okay if I invite him? If not I understand, I don’t need to send him an invite then.

Vangie: (hold Kim hand) Iha, I said its okay, so what if he is from orphanage; we don’t judge people according to their financial status. As long as he is a good friend to you that’s all it’s important. You don’t have to worry about that …… except for….. We need to send Him something to wear for the occasion.

Kim: (laughing) yeah I think you’re right.

Vangie: Well then Iha, just let me know if you want to add more friends in your list…. And yeah tomorrow, Liz is coming to get your measurement and to discuss your gown.

Kim: who’s Liz?

Vangie: Liz is Vera Wang assistant…. (Then smile)… as I said..Only the best (then kiss Kim’s forehead) Okay good day Iha I see you later.

Kim: Good Day Tita, I’ll be going after breakfast.

Vangie: No problem, just go on Iha don’t mind me just keep your daily routine and pretend I’m not around.

As usual the day went fast for Kim; she got home only to know that her Tita Vangie is out for a Broadway show with her friends.  She knows that doesn’t have to worry about her, she always feels at home every time she’s in Toronto,

She went to bed early to get ready for her final rehearsal the next morning….but she planned didn’t work…she can’t full asleep. All she’s thinking is her birthday to come and how excited she is to see her friends again. She’s running a plan in her head how she’s going to surprise Robbie and ask him to be her for the special occasion.

With all the thinking, Gerald’s never got into her head. Maybe because they are not talking in the first place and she can’t consider him as her friend. All she knows is that the guy hates her after all these years she is okay that she is living apart from him even though you can say that they both share parents, his parents. So she knows the Gerald can’t ne bothered to be part of this occasion. But…. is she correct thinking that way of Gerald?