Chapter 3: The Thought

What Love Got To Do With It

Almost two years went so fast for Kimmy. After the tragedy she decided to focus her life in arts, she continues her desire for Ballet and put herself in Conservatory School of Music for Piano, Guitar and Violin. One day is not enough for her activities then she also continue her mother’s passion’s….Home for the Aged and Orphanage. She always makes sure that she has time to visit those important places that her mom chooses to support financially for years.

At grade 10, Kim is one of the most brilliant students of Ontario, top in her class and top in the whole province. Two years living in a low profile, she hardly allowed anyone to come close to her to be her best friend. She was admired by many at school both for her academic and sports achievements.

For years Kim was able to make befriend with one of the kid in Orphanage, He has a Chinese background, when his parents died from the accident he ends up in an orphanage. Since then every time Kim and his dad visit the orphanage they play and become friend, really close friend. For almost two years also they haven’t see each other, they only talk on the phone, text and email. Kim continue to support him with his studies and all his personal needs but he chooses to be remain in Orphanage to help out  in exchange with all the good things they provide for Him.

Easter is coming, one of the loneliest occasions in Kim’s life. She remember how her Mother would prepare for the Easter Sunday lunch, the egg hunt for the children at orphanage and the Easter Cantata that her Mom always involved in at their local church. Not to mention that after Easter it’s her birthday, the next in line that her parents are being so busy about.

As Kim standing by the window looking at the birds flying back from the west coast, she knows spring is just around the corner. Smiling looking at the Tulips and yellow Daffodils making their way up to the ground, she got surprise when Ate Pokwang sneaks behind her.

Ate Pokwang: Hello my Kimmy, penny in your thought?

Kim: My gosh Yaya, you scared me. How long you’ve been standing there?

Ate Pokwang: Long enough to see all different expression of your face, and you know what? ….my favourite one is when you start to hold you hair, smell it and smile. That site is the most angelic post. (Then smile)

Kim: Yaya! …… I am just happy that spring is coming again… the most beautiful season for me, so much new life coming out from the ground.

Ate Pokwang: Hey Kimmy, are you in the emote mood again? Coz if you are….. (Then stop and doesn’t know what to say next)

Kim: …then what?

Ate Pokwang: … then I’ll join you so happy together!.... LOL

Kim: Yaya! …you’re so funny

Ate Pokwang: (serious) Kimmy, I know that during this time of the year……. Okay okay…. What I mean is….I knows that spring is not your favourite season. Okay? So stop lying….he he he

Kim was about to say something when her cell phone rings.

Kim: Hello Tita Vangie, how are you?

Vangie: I am good iha. I just call to tell you that I’ll be in Toronto to see you tomorrow.

Kim: oh really? That’s great. I miss you already. Heheh I haven’t see you in….. a week?

Vangie: I know I know hehehe as I promise; I always make sure that I look after you. Hehehhe

Kim: with no doubt Tita, see you then tomorrow I’ll come with Manong Bert to pick you up at the airport.

Vangie: see you then….love you.

Kim: love you too….( then give a deep breath and smile while closing her cell phone)

Ate Pokwang: she love’s you hah?.... she really loves you like a daughter.

Kim: I know, I wish I can pay her back someday with all the attention and love both her and Tito Randy are showing me. I can’t imagine life without them.

Ate Pokwang: Kimmy, how is Gerald?

Kim: hmmm good question Yaya. I haven’t talk to Gerald for a very long time.

Ate Pokwang: really? Like how long?

Kim: like after Dad’s funeral.

Ate Pokwang: oh my gosh that is a very long time…. So no phone, no text, no msn, yahoo, email etc. etc.?

Kim: Yaya, no as in Nada, zero, Null, Nolla, wala,….

Ate Pokwang: Kimmy! Are swearing at me again?

Kim: Yaya, meaning zero in all languages I know. LOL

Ate Pokwang: wow time flies, I didn’t realize that it’s already almost 2 years since your Dad passed away….meaning two years you haven’t talk to Gerald?

Kim: yup, He is a busy guy, when I go down to visit Missouri; either He is on weekend getting away with friends or in study group. Sometimes if he is home he just sleep all day, no one bothers him not even Tita and Tito. He pretty much does his own thing.

Ate Pokwang: But you used to be really close, like you guys are always together wherever you go when you’re small, what happened then?

Kim: we grow up and have different interest…. I think.

Ate Pokwang: you think he is jealous... Like with the attention his parents give to you, especially his Mom.

Kim: hmmmm I never think about that…. (Then look at Ate Pokwang) … you think Yaya?

Ate Pokwang: Well, Maybe you are right, different interest in life. Anyway Kimmy I’ll prepare your snack just go down anytime you’re hungry.

Kim: Okay Yaya.

As Kim left standing alone, she try to absorb everything that Yaya Pokwang was saying. Now just don into her head, it is really a long time that she haven’t see Gerald. ..To think of it, she doesn’t even know if she wants to see him after what happened four years ago. Everything still fresh in her mind…….

At 12 years old, Kim was so excited to go for a summer vacation with her Dad to Manila. Same summer Gerald decided to spend it there too. Kim wasn’t always skinny; she was a healthy 12 years old with braces, not very attractive. So excited to spend summer with Gerald only when ……

Kim: (excited running towards Gerald to give him a hug) Ge…Ge how are you? Oh my gosh I am so excited to go places with you here in Pinas.

Gerald: (covering his mouth trying to stop from laughing) Kimmy? Is that you...what happened to you... you move your bedroom to the kitchen?

Kim: (a little embarrass but trying to ignore his comment) yeah I know I gain a little.

Gerald: men you gain a lot! And what is that, you become Frankenstein too? LOL

Kim: (a little annoyed this time) yeah I have braces.

Gerald: Men I can’t believe you, you turn out to be a one fat girl. LOL

With that, Kimmy’s summer that year turn out to be disaster. After that summer she promise herself that she will work hard to change physically and to let nobody ever look at her as a ugly fat girl again.