Chapter 1: Darkest Clouds

What Love Got To Do With It

Outside the Operating Room, lost, confused and scared as her two hands covering her face and tears flowing down, she got bruises on her forehead, arms and blood all over her clothing.

At eight she lost her mother from the cold blooded massacre, a group of organized gang that targeted rich businessman for holdup and ransom.

After Kim lost her mother, her father decided to migrate to Toronto and continue their lives. Her late mother was a Doctor and her Father is a very successful businessman. They are in Food and Garments manufacturing industry, business internationally.  She is the only child and a perfect resemblance of her mother, despite being an only child she is never spoiled, her father raised her perfectly.

They don’t have relatives; her mother is an only child and was disowned by the family after marrying her father who is a Chinese refugee from china. Her parents meet during her mother medical mission helping Chinese Refugees or boat people as they call them during that time. Because of love William and Tessa succeed and become one of the most wealthy and influential couple of the Philippines.

Tessa Zula and Evangeline Opsima is best friend since the beginning of their lives. Both only daughters of the prominent Hacienderos family in Negros Occidental grow up surrounded with all the luxury of life went to the most prestigious university but then fall in love and walk in two different directions of lives.

Evangeline or Vangie to her friends continue her studies in Paris, France to further her study in fashion industry. While Tessa Zula continues her study in University of Toronto School of Medicine, two friends go in different direction but never failed to continue their friendship. Vangie got married to Randy Anderson, an American businessman while Tessa elope with her only love William Chiu.

As the world collapses on her, she feels so helpless and doesn’t know what to do. All she can see in her head is the flashes of lights and the screaming voice of her father. “Kimmy baby Kimmy… your okay baby, are you okay?” those are the last voice of her father she can remember in her mind. Her thoughts got interrupted as a nurse approached her and guided her towards the nursing stations.

Dr. Dave Morris: Hello Kimberly, Kimberly right?

Kim: Yes, Kimberly.

Dr. Dave Morris: My name is Dr. Dave Morris, I am here to help you understand and to help you go through this accident.

Kim: How’s my father?

Dr. Dave Morris: Your father is in very critical condition, he broke a few ribs and the broken ribs damage some of his internal organ and as a result he is suffering from internal bleeding, the reason why he is in operating room right now. Doctors are trying to stop the bleeding.

Kim: So they send you to see if I lost my mind yet?

Dr. Dave Morris: Well, I am a Psychiatrist you’re correct,  I help younger children go through life after a very traumatic experience in life.  

Kim: So have you lost any of your parents?

Dr. Dave Morris: No. But…. (Didn’t finish what he is about to say but Kim interrupted him)

Kim: Don’t worry, I am sad but I’m not loosing my mind yet. And beside how do you expect me to trust you that you understand what I have been through while you have both of your parents at your age. Please I don’t want to be rude but all I want for now is to concentrate with my father’s condition.

Dr. Dave Morris: Totally understand and I want you to know I am here….and also your family lawyer will be here in few minutes.

Kim: Thank you. Can I go back to where I am? I just want to wait when the Doctors come out from the operating room.

Dr. Dave Morris just nod and didn’t say anything else. He just instructed the nurse to bring her back where she found her. Few minutes after, Atty. Theodore Salvador came, he directly went straight to her and give Kimmy a hug and hand her a battle of Arizona Green Tea.

Atty. Salvador: Have you eaten already?

Kim: No, but I am not hungry. I want to know how my father is.

Atty. Salvador: I know but we need to wait, at this point that’s all we can do. After the operation, then Doctors will tell us what’s going on. Kimmy, I want you to know that what ever happen I am here for you. I already call your Tita Vangie and Tito Randy, they are flying with their private jet from Missouri, and they’ll be here in two hours.

Kim: (just nods, then she cry after few minutes she get up and look at Atty. Salvador) I am going to the chapel can you come with me?

Atty. Salvador: Yes, I’ll come with you.

Few hours after Vangie and Randy Anderson arrived at the hospital. The nurse show them where Kim is, as soon as Vangie saw Kim, her heart goes for her. A fourteen year old girl, two years younger than her son who suffer so much in life.

Vangie: Kimmy, oh my Kimmy. (Then just hug Kim and kiss her on the forehead) I am here now iha.

Kim: Tita my Dad, I don’t want to loose my Dad.

Vangie: I know iha, I know. (Then cry with her)

Three days past Mr. Chiu are still in ICU. Atty. Salvador calls a meeting with Mr. and Mrs. Anderson and so as the other two trusted people in the Chiu’s mansion. Yaya Pokwang and Mang Bert, these are the people that have been in Kimberly’s life since she was small.

Atty. Salvador: First I’ll talk to Mr.  & Mrs.  Anderson then I’ll call you guys. Kimmy I just need to discuss some business details first with your Tita Vangie and Tito Randy then I’ll call you when we got to the personal matter. Okay?

Kim: Atty. Why we need to do this, my Dad is still alive.

Atty. Salvador: Kim this is something your father already have prepared for time like this. Even though he is still alive he is not in the capability to run your business and to take care of you. So before the Canadian Government get involve, we need to do this.

Vangie: Kimmy Iha, don’t worry me and your Tito Randy is not going to allow anything to happen, we’ll take care of you until your father get well. Okay?

Kim: just nod. (Every time she knows she can’t do anything to against anyone decision she just nod)

Atty. Salvador: Mr. and Mrs. Anderson you are fully aware that you are the only legal guardian of Kim. Base on the testament of Mr. & Mrs.  Chiu in which you also signed, Kim is going to be in your custody if both parents is no longer present to take care of her and also stated that if Mr. Randolph and Mrs. Evangeline Opsima Anderson got a divorce, Kimberly Sue Yap Chiu is automatically will be in custody of Mrs. Evangeline Opsima Anderson. The custody is bonded until she reaches the aged of 21 years old and married. Until then she can get her estate and her inheritance until she is married to your son, Gerald Randolph Anderson Jr.

If at the age of 21 and Kim decided not to marry Gerald Anderson, she can do so but the Chiu’s estate, property and all assets will go directly to the Chiu’s Cancer Research Foundation, Kapitbisig Kapamilya & to Boys and Girls Club of the Philippines and other charity as stated.

 Also if Gerald Anderson decided not to marry Kimberly Chiu at the age of 23 for Gerald, all Chiu’s share holdings will be pulled out in all Anderson’s Enterprises, Real Estate Properties and all any businesses Anderson and Chiu’s are in.

Vangie: (crying) how are we going to explain this to a fourteen year old girl?

Randy: This is my entire fault, at that time I thought Williams is just joking because we both are drunk. I didn’t realize until Atty. Salvador met up with our lawyer.

Atty. Salvador: I think Mr. William Chiu just want to make sure that his daughter got into the right people. Kim is one of the richest people in the world and the only one at her age if possible.

Vangie: is there anything mention if what age Kim needs to know all of this?

Atty. Salvador: Yes, I need to set-up a meeting again with all of you including Gerald and Kim on the day after Kim’s 18th birthday.

Vangie: So for now, she doesn’t have to know? The reason I ask because I don’t want her to take everything all at ones. If something happen to William I don’t think I have the heart to tell Kim all of these.

The meeting went smoothly as expected, Kim was called also Yaya Pokwang and Mang Bert, they just told that the Anderson is the legal guardian of Kim and she is not going to take over her parent’s property until she reaches 21 years old and graduated from the university. Nothing was mention about the condition in how she can get her inheritance.

In that for Yaya Pokwang and Mang Bert, to get US $ 10,000.00 monthly allowance for life as long as they remain loyal and served Kimberley Chiu as long as she wishes, And also a promised to send all their direct relatives to university of their choice.

A week after, a bad news wake-up the Anderson, William Chiu, passed away on his sleep.

At this point, Kim is so tired of crying, slowly digested everything her father told her, how to be strong and be a fighter, for the reality of life is in front of her, to be by herself.

Kim: Tita Vangie, I want my father’s body back to Philippines, He wants to be buried next to Mama.

Vangie: Yes Iha. Your Tito Randy already has everything arrange. …. Iha, are you okay?.... that’s my stupid question…I guess what I want you to know is that we are here for you. You know that you’re always the daughter I never had.

Kim: I know Tita, I know why Papa & Mama make you as my legal guardian, and they know how much you love me. I am so glad that I have you in the darkest moment of my life.

Days after, they all fly down to Philippines.