Elisium

Monochrome Love (モノクあい/Monoku Ai)

The city of Elisium is sullen, as it is 9 o’clock and all of the citizens are drifting away to sleep. Not a single living creature scurries about, and only the billions of glistening stars above light the streets. Every soul in the city was quiet. All… but one.

 

            Soohyun lie in his bed, struggling to take the annoying ear piece out of his ear. “Ouch.” He grunts as it finally came out from the inside of his ear. He checks to see that his ear isn’t bleeding, then proceeds to gently place it under his pillow. Placing a hand on the left side of his face, he sighs, knowing that the mask is something that he doesn’t know how to remove.          

           

            Around the age of 12 was when Soohyun first was given the mask. It was a blurry memory; if there was any memory of it at all. All he remembers is the pain, the noises of people talking, and a strange tingling, numb-like feeling under where the half-mask was secured. Every once in a while, the tingling sensation will come back. Some days it hurts, other days it won’t. Soohyun has yet to understand why the mask makes him feel that way. But he has figured out why he must wear it.

 

            Ever since that day, Soohyun forgets more and more what he looked like before the mask. Even with only half of his face covered, it’s still difficult. But he uses what he knows. He knows he has deep, dark chocolate brown eyes, and tousled brown hair. And if he dared to say it- or think it- he has soft, pink, wonderfully kissable lips. Though, the kissable part was hard to believe.

 

            Love is nearly impossible to find on your own in Elisium. Once you reach the common point of knowledge in your brain, you are then given an earpiece. After that your life is no longer your own. You could say the government practically owns you. Or at least that’s what Soohyun thinks. Because that earpiece is in there, your brain doesn’t have time for thoughts of love. It just doesn’t happen. So, therefore, when a citizen turns 19 years old, he or she is assigned a spouse. They are told to love them, that they are the love of their life, and that they will enjoy each other’s company. And they believe it. They believe everything they’re told. Soohyun has to do the same. Or at least pretend to believe everything.

           

            Soohyun works on his plan of escape every night in bed. He is careful to hide any planning sheets and data from his parents. If they found out, they would panic. Panic leads to craziness, and the craziness attracts the government into involvement. Then the government finds out and quite frankly (there is no sugar-coated way to put this), you are sent in to trial, which the criminal is always guilty here in Elisium. The judge concludes the case, and you have two options. Option number one, you die right then and there. They tie you up around the neck, remove the platform under your feet, and you’re gone. Option number two, they send you off into the Unknown. The deal is that if you can find your way back to Elisium, you can live. But no one has ever come back. The citizens and government just assume that you’re dead.

 

            Along with his escape planning, Soohyun tries to develop his own personality. As weird as it may sound, it’s true. Someone would notice if he didn’t have his earpiece in during the daylight hours out in public, so nighttime is the only time he has. “What do I like?” Soohyun asked himself, whispering. “Learning… creating things… singing…” At the sound of his bedroom door opening, Soohyun shut his mouth and pulls the blankets over his head. Waiting for his mother to close the door and go back to sleep, Soohyun hopes he won’t get caught. The door closes, and Soohyun removes the blankets from over his head. He hums a sweet melody, and finally falls asleep.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Kind of a short first chapter (it looked so much longer on my Word doc... D:) I know but I really wanted to post it tonight but I need to go to sleep so I wrote as much as I could for tonight ^_^ Did you guys like it? I'm excited to be writing a Soohyun fic since he was my first ever bias in U-Kiss c: btw, Elisium means Paradise in Latin :3 (thanks google translate! lol) 4 subbers just from posting the foreward is awesome :D Thanks guys <3 love ya mae

Don't have much to say today. Just goodnight~~~ jalja~~ oyasumi nasai~~ bon soir~~^^

Tomorrow I will either edit this chapter or post chapter two with a drawing of soohyun with the mask. hopefully my drawing will turn out well :D