Of Hikes and Falls

Of Moonlight and Stars

Sunyoung hiked herself up the high, steep hill, in which was surrounded by miles and miles of trees. You can say it's like a mountain but no, it is a hill. A very high hill. She was determined to reach the peak, to convey out the challenge her best friend set out for her. 

"You wouldn't last a week" the tall being retorted, throwing a bun at her head. Sunyoung scowled, her attention on the movie distorted. 

"And i suppose you'll do it better?" 

"Oh please, " Her classmate thumped his chest twice, "This is Luhan you're talking to, who majors in climbing and ". 

Sunyoung's grandmother perked up her head, thinking that she must've heard wrong when Luhan said ''. She dismissed it as another mistaken case of bad hearing and proceeded to put a thread though a needle's eye. 

"You know what, " Sunyoung threw the bun from earlier to Luhan, hitting him square on the forehead, "I think i'll do it. School's not open in two weeks, and i'm really making myself bored here." 

"Whoa, hold up. You're not going anywhere near that hill without my supervising. It's not just any hill you know" Luhan held up both his hand. 

Sunyoung rolled her eyes before taking out her phone and begin scrolling away. She showed him a picture she had kept in her phone, in which Luhan widened his eyes. 

"You wouldn't," he hissed. The girl smirked, enjoying his panicked face. 

"Oh, but i would" She said, pulling her arm away from Luhan's reach, "To think, how much of a monster Yixing would turn into if he sees this. And all you have to do is release me for a few days" 

Luhan gritted his teeth, clearly annoyed by the fact that his smartass, younger friend is threatening him. He placed himself in thoughts for a few minutes before covering his face and let out an exasperated sigh. 

"Fine. But if you're not home in four days, i will not hesitate to call the police and let out the detectives" 

"You're taking things way too serious, idiot" Sunyoung flicked his ear, "I'll be fine" 


"I, am not fine!" 

Sunyoung cleared her head while looking down at the scenery below her. She wasn't sure where to go next and her bag begin to feel like she's literally packed up boulders. Sweat was trickling down her head despite the fact that it was quite breezy. 

It's already been a day and Sunyoung finally knows how it feels to have an overdose of lactic acid burning up in her muscles. She put down her bag, opening and checking inside it to see why the heck it was so heavy. 

'Jokes on you' 

Sunyoung stared at the huge rock she was holding. She willed herself not to call her friend and shout out all the profanities she knew in different languages. Really, the nerve of that kid. When did he even put that rock in her bag? 

The item was thrown down the side where it meets its new home. Sunyoung hoisted her bag up and continued her hike, aware that the steepness was gradually increasing. In front of her was a very narrow path and it seems impossible to cross it, unless you want to fall down the side into a massive bunch of vegetations. 

Sunyoung debated whether to cross it or just turn back. It looks pretty risky, and she valued her life. But then, sudden images of Luhan laughing and taunting her about not completing the task flashed through her mind, and she shivered. That was pretty much a good motivation for her to move on. 

Grabbing a lianas that was hanging from the side, Sunyoung tugged at it, making sure it'll be able to hold her weight while crossing over. It seems convincing enough, as she twirled it around her hand and placed her foot against the ridge. She muttered incoherent stuff and slowly crossed it, not looking down. 

One...two...three...each steps were counted by her, and the wind was wheezing by, as if mocking her to take on such a ridiculous challenge. As luck would have it, the lianas turns out to be weak eventually and snapped in half, sending Sunyoung a major heart attack. She could see her flash flashing before her eyes as her foot slipped downwards. 

She could've plummeted to her death before a hand appeared out of nowhere and grabbed hers. Sunyoung gasped and looked up to be provided a view of Luhan struggling to pull her up. 

"Luhan! What are you doing here?!" She cried out, her other hand moving up naturally to grab hold of an extended tree root. Grunting, the male said nothing as he used all his strength and heaved her up, falling backwards. Sunyoung landed on his chest, her face just inches away from his. Both were breathing heavily. 

"Sunyoung..." Luhan breathed, holding her shoulder close, and Sunyoung felt a sudden increase in her heart rate "y-yes..?" 

They locked eyes with each other, and Luhan closed in onto her, eyes squinting. 

"Have you been gaining weight these days?" 

"Hey!"A hard smack landed on his chest, leaving Luhan groaning in subtle pain. He chuckled afterwards, watching as Sunyoung pulled herself off of him. 

"I knew i should've joined you" He said, sitting up. Sunyoung exhaled and patted his shoulder, relieved. 

"Thanks a lot. I could've died if you hadn't come on time. By the way did you trail me here?" 

"Yeah, probably the wisest thing i've ever done my entire life" 

Luhan and Sunyoung stayed quiet for a few minutes, silently processing that a tragedy could've happened full with 'what if's. What if Luhan hadn't followed her all the way there? What if Sunyoung had taken on an easier path? What if they didn't even think of such an idea in the first place? 

"Come on" Luhan stood up and Sunyoung looked up questioningly at him. He raised an eyebrow, "What? I'm not going to let you continue the hike alone based on what had just happened. And i know you're not going to back away from this" 

"Sometimes i wonder how the heck did we get so close" Sunyoung said, slinging her bag over her shoulder. She followed Luhan, who knew another safer path and trailed behind him like a duckling. 

"So, did you get my present?" Luhan asked, stepping carefully over a couple of rocks. He turned around and extended his hand for Sunyoung's, pulling her over as well. 

"What pres...oh" The rock from earlier flashed in Sunyoung's mind and she gave Luhan a hard jab at the waist, "You , have you nothing better to do when you put it in my bag?" 

"Oh chill, midget, it's just something to laugh about. Smile...!" Luhan grabbed hold of both corners of Sunyoung's mouth and stretched it in an attempt to make her smile. The latter grunted and swipped his hands, stalking away. 

"Oh Sunyoouunngg" Luhan skipped towards her and did a silly dance. Sunyoung broke into a small smile and gently pushed his head which was annoyingly close to her face. She continued hiking up and looked back to see if Luhan was still alive behind her. She looked around and started noticing the view of the forest. Her small town was spotted in a distance and she whipped out her camera, snapping a picture of it. Going for another one, Sunyoung nearly had a heart attack when she saw Luhan's nose in her camera's screen. 

"Luhan, your hideous face is disrupting my view. Move away" She said, clearly not amused. Luhan pouted, "My face is adding more beauty to the view. How can you resist this??" 

"Hmm~mm~~" The female moved aside and took another candid shot, feeling quite proud of herself. She held the camera high up in the air and turned it around for a selca. A frown came across her face when she reviewed it. Luhan was seen behind her, holding up a twig and showing a large grin with a thumbs up. Rolling her eyes, Sunyoung gave Luhan a look, in which he just ignored and hiked away. 

If it's one thing about taking pictures, it's Sunyoung. When Luhan had his back turned at her and climbed over a boulder, she lifted up her camera to sneak a shot at him. Luhan looked over his shoulder at her at the same time as the shot and Sunyoung found herself staring at the photo. 

It's either she's getting more talented at photography or the fact that Luhan's presence in the picture made it seem admittedly more beautiful. He had a genuine smile on his face, in contrast with the mischievious ones Sunyoung always sees. Not only that, but his body posture seems very inviting. But not in that kind of way, but it's very...y. 

Sunyoung shook her head and blinked her eyes. Did she just ogle at her best friend? 

"Yo, you okay there?" Luhan bounded eagerly to Sunyoung and grabbed her camera before she could do anything. He saw the snapshot and realised that it's the one Sunyoung had been staring at for the past two minutes. He grinned. 

"Like what you see?" He teased, in which Sunyoung immediately blushed. She let out an "Auughhh.!" and shoved Luhan gently to the side, scurrying away. That was incredibly embarassing. Luhan was known for his playboy status and Sunyoung certainly doesn't want to be one of his victims. Even if they had been best friends for almost two years now. 

Hardly anything would stop Luhan when he gets to know that someone likes him. It's not that Sunyoung does, but it's just admiration. And Luhan likes to think that everyone likes him. Using his looks as advantages, he'd lure girls into dating him and kindly dumps them. Keyword, kindly. Not like those jerkasses that dump girls to break their heart. No, this guy is a bit more nicer. When he breaks up with someone, it'll be quite reasonable and usually Luhan has a friend to hook the girl up with. 

He's not that bad, really. But Sunyoung doesn't want to take any chances. 

The hike continued for the next two hours with Sunyoung taking pictures here and there and Luhan trying his best to sneak into the shots. There was even a slight incident in which Sunyoung fell and scraped her knee, and Luhan fumbled around her bag for a first-aid kit. Truth be told, Sunyoung doesn't like it because it just added fuel to the fire. All the things that Luhan was doing for her made her fall for him more, and she's not happy with it. 

Not one bit. 

Soon after the two hours and many minutes later, Sunyoung finally reached the peak of the mountain-like hill (with the help of Luhan). There was a small convenience store and the noth of them went inside to grab a snack before signing their name on the list of successful climbers. 

"So what do you want to eat?" Sunyoung browsed the rack filled with snacks and other home-made food. Luhan picked up a cup of ramen and wiggled it in her face (again) before proceeding to the hot water supply. He stripped the paper cover of the cup and patiently waited for the hot water to fill it. Sunyoung came shortly afterwards, having the same choice and placed her ramen cup beside his. 

"I thought you said ramen's not healthy" Luhan said, looking down at the petite girl. The latter sighed incredulously. 

"It is not healthy. But it wouldn't hurt for me to eat it once in while, would it?" 

"Point taken" Luhan picked up both cups and walked towards a table while Sunyoung went to pay for them. She joined Luhan afterwards and read her prayers before eating. 

After eating, Luhan excused himself to make a bee line in the toilet. Sunyoung busied herself by browsing pictures she took, lingering longer on those which had Luhan in it. Small giggles escaped her lips before she even realised that she was momentarily fangirling like a freak. A few minutes had passed and she started to wonder where he is. Luhan was usually quick when he goes to the toilet, but it's not like she knows what's his daily problems are anyway. 

She got startled when a man suddenly came out of nowhere, grinning malevolently at her. 

"Would 250,000 won do?" he asked. Sunyoung frowned, shaking her head slowly. 

"How about 300,000 won?" 

"What kind of girl do you think i am..?" She said, slowly backing away in her seat, gripping onto the hem of her shirt nervously. The man started to lean in closer and she could see the pieces of food stuck between his teeth. 

"Fine, then 800,000 won. A girl like you should be giving something even special right hun?" His hand started to reach her hand, which was tugging down her shirt. Sunyoung's heart skipped a dozen beats as she realised what he was trying to do. Due to lack of knowledge about situations like that, she whimpered and could only pray silently. 

"Sir, if you please" A hand grabbed hold of the man's wrist and Sunyoung looked up at her rescuer. 

Luhan. 

He had a dangerous look on his face as he stared menacingly at the man. A glint in his eyes show that if the man doesn't deem down to his request, 's gonna get loose. Sunyoung was pulled out of her chair behind Luhan, who swapped the man's hand away. 

"Oh look, we have a hero here!" The man cackled. He's very bulky and looks much stronger than Luhan. So if they were to fight, chances of Luhan getting pummeled to death's end is very high. Sunyoung gripped Luhan's hand tightly, hoping that it wouldn't happen. 

"Sir, i don't want trouble. Please be on your way and don't disturb my girlfriend" Luhan stated firmly. A faint blush crept onto Sunyoung's cheeks and she hid her face against Luhan's shirt. He's doing it again - making her fall for him. Luckily the man just snorted and went on his way, muttering something too soft for the both of them to hear. 

When he was out of sight, Sunyoung exhaled in relief, letting go of Luhan and grabbing her bag, "Thanks again, Luhan. I could've-" 

"What were you thinking?!" 

Sunyoung gulped, stunned to say anything when Luhan suddenly snapped at her. He looks furious, and she wished there was a shell she could crawl in for she has never seen him so angry. 

"Did it ever occur to you that that man was dangerous? He could've kidnapped and you for god's sake!" Luhan raised his voice, "Why didn't you run away??" 

"Look, i'm sorry if i was being so vulnerable!" Sunyoung tried to defend herself. She was never one for arguments, and here she was having one with Luhan, "I didn't know what to do! He came so suddenly and -" 

Luhan's arms suddenly threw themselves around Sunyoung, making her mind go blank. He buried his face in the crook of her neck, mumbling "You worry me too much, Sunyoung..." 

Fortunately for Sunyoung, there wasn't anyone else in the store except for the cashier, and she was just playing with her phone to mind about anything. Trying to free herself was a failed attempt as Luhan tightened his embrace around Sunyoung. It was clear that he doesn't want to let go, but he had to anyways.

"Oh Luhan, are you crying..??" A soft chuckle escaped Sunyoung's lips as she obesrved Luhan's face. His eyes were watery and he looks like an adorable puppy. He used his shirt to dab away the tears and sniffed, pouting at Sunyoung. 

"Awwhh.." Sunyoung pinched his cheeks. One minute he was a ferocious wolf and then he became a playful terrier. "Sometimes i keep forgetting that you're older than me, Han" 

"You scared me to death" Luhan replied, "I can't imagine life without you if you were really taken away by that man" 

Great, he won't stop doing it, Sunyoung notes. How long is she going to keep it up? At this rate she'll be completely heads over heel for him. He even called her his girlfriend! Like seriously, which girl wouldn't be flattered by such a statement? 

"Well, we'd better going then" Grabbing her bag across his shoulder, Luhan whistled his way out the convenience store with Sunyoung gaping behind him. Now why is he carrying her bag like...he was her boyfriend or something? 

She jogged towards him, steadying her pace once she was side to side and listened to him singing a song. Yixing had composed that song - My Girl - and said to Luhan that if he ever found the 'one', the song should be sung. Sunyoung doesn't want to feel proud but she felt as if that song was directed to her. 

Well she thinks she's getting a bit selfless now. 

Her mind was full of thoughts that she didn't eveen realise Luhan wriggling his fingers into hers. She blinked twice, but the male acted as if it was normal and swung their arms together. Well they Were actually used to holding hands here and there, but never felt anything. Sunyoung bit her lip. She was feeling it. It's official. 

Park Sunyoung has feelings for her own best friend, Luhan. 

"Yo Sunyoung, check this out" Luhan hopped over some boulders and found a comfortable flat place. He begun dancing and was grinning at her. Sunyoung had expected this. The only person in school who was so random - unbelievely aimlessly random - was Luhan. Not one could understand why he always does it except for Sunyoung. 

"You look stupid" She snapped a picture and placed it back in her back pocket. 

"Says the person who naturally is~~" Luhan stuck his tongue out playfully before jumping down, resuming their walk back home, "Hey let's make our mark here!" 

Sunyoung stared blatantly at him, "What?" 

Luhan took out a bandana from his pocket and walked towards a tree. He inspected it carefully, making sure it was strong. Tying the bandana around it, he pulled Sunyoung and gestured her to do the same thing. 

Sunyoung patted her pockets and took her bag from Luhan, searching for any cloth. She showed Luhan her pale blue handkerchief and the latter nodded approvingly. He took it and tied the handkerchief next to his bandana and stepped away. 

"Hmm...i like it" Sunyoung commented. She took out her camera and took a quick shot of it when Luhan grabbed the camera away, shocking her. 

"Let's take one together!!" He pulled her close against his body, flushing the girl's face. A candid shot was taken of them both and Sunyoung had to hide her red face afterwards from being seen by him. 

She walked away with small baby steps, holding onto her cheeks. Luhan has to stop doing that. It's making her go insane! She hasn't felt like this ever since her last boyfriend broke up with her. 

Suddenly her foot slipped and Sunyoung found herself tumbling down to her (again). She groaned at the pain and Luhan quickly ran beside her, his face breaking into a small grin. 

"Seriously, dude, you really have a knack for getting injured!" He commented, grabbing hold of her ankle. It was twisted, but it can be healed. She just need to rest for a very short while. 

"I hate myself" Sunyoung facepalmed herself. At this state, she couldn't walk as fast as before, which means a lot of time having Luhan waiting on her.meanwhile Luhan gently tended to it, dabbing lotion at the area and putting on a bandage. Sunyoung watched him do all that. She felt...angry. 

"Owh!! What was that for??" Luhan rubbed his shoulder. Sunyoung had punched him out of the blue and her eyes were teary. 

"I really hate you, you know that?" 

"Why.." 

"I hate you for making me fall all this time!!" Sunyoung choked on her words, "Please stop doing all this! You're making me go insane!! I'm not even married yet!" 

"Sunyoung..." 

The girl started to cry harder and wailed, hitting Luhan repeatedly. She couldn't take it anymore. She's confirmed to have fallen for Luhan. It was like a disease with no cure at all. A very, very dangerous disease. She doesn't like it one bit. 

Luhan on the other hand was dumbstruck. Here he was, tending to a crying girl who claims him to be a very bad vibe. Clearly Sunyoung hadn't had enough experience in relationships. Even her previous boyfriend knew of that. 

He grabbed both her cheeks and turned her to look at him. Her eyes were like shining bubbles due to the tears that were overflowing and she was whimpering like a puppy. So cute. 

"Sunyoung doesn't have to cry over things like this" He cooed at her like she was a five year old girl, brushing away her streak of tears with both his thumbs. In an instant he placed a soft deep kiss on her lips, startling her. He pulled away after a few seconds, grinning at her. 

"See? I like you too. Now get up" He heaved the now blushing weak Sunyoung up and released her to see if she can walk properly. Miracle happens, and it did the trick to her foot. Sunyoung glanced nervously at him. 

"How can i be sure you like me like how i like you?" She innocently asked. Luhan swan through his mind a bit, acting very confused in front of her. 

"I don't know..." He pondered, "maybe it's the fact that i wouldn't do this if i don't" 

For the second time, Luhan forced another kiss on Sunyoung. He held her head in place, kissing her throughly and Sunyoung could only shut her eyes firm, hands gripped around his wrists. 

They broke away, gasping for air. Sunyoung groaned and leaned her head against his chest. What was currently happening, she didn't know, but what just happened was like a clear lake. 

Luhan had taken her kisses head on. 

"I'm an awesome guy" Luhan admitted proudly, pulling her hand to continued their long awaited walk. She just pouted, swinging their arms like what he did previously. He gave her a mischievious cmile and she knew it meant no good. 

"Let's take a ride on the Shoulder of Luhan!" He cheered, reaching down her body and heaving her up his shoulder. Sunyoung shrieked, holding tight onto his shoulder. She wriggled around, demanding him to release her but was fallen to deaf ears. Luhan twirled himself around, and slapped her bottom while skipping down the hill. Sunyoung had to spend the rest of the walk screaming (lovingly) at her boyfriend. 

Yeah, they're an official couple now. Didn't take much to do it - only falls.