Of Dandelions and Memories

Of Moonlight and Stars

8 year old Sunyoung sniffed a bit. She watches as her dear friend ran around the park chasing a lilac coloured butterfly. Pushing herself off the swing seat, she settled down in the sand box and started to build a small sandcastle using a spade and a bucket. 

Her friend came by a few minutes later, obviously exhausted and didn't even succeed in catching the butterfly. He plopped down beside Sunyoung and joined in her sandcastle making scheme. 

"Are you seriously thinking of moving away, Taemin?" Sunyoung said. 

The 8 year old boy nodded sadly, "Yeah...i can't stop my dad. I don't like that lady he's planning on marrying. She's so..." 

"..posh" They said together and laughed. Taemin dusted sand off his arms and Sunyoung's dress, "Jeju Island is so far from here. I don't think i'll ever see you again" 

"Can't you convince him?" Sunyoung asked. She didn't want to lose her only playmate, her only friend. The response she got from Taemin was a negative one. You're just eight years old, and how can a kid convince an adult on stuff like this? It's merely unthinkable. 

They sat in silence in the sandbox, poking at the failed sandcastle which eventually topples down in the end. 

"When are you leaving?" Sunyoung asked. Taemin sighed. 

"Tonight. He wants us to live there as soon as possible" 

"Tonight? Why is it so ear-" 

"Taemin-ah!" 

Both children looked behind and saw Taemin's father approaching them with a big smile on his face. Beside him was Sunyoung's 18 year old brother, Jungsoo.

"Come on, Taemin. We're going to Jeju tonight remember? Let's go home" Taemin's father lifted him by the arms and dusted the sand off his clothes. He grinned and ruffled the boy's head before looking over to Jungsoo. 

"I guess this will be the last time we see each other, huh?" Jungsoo smiled, "It's been nice knowing you, Mr.Lee. Too bad you guys are leaving, Sunyoung never had such a close friend before" 

Taemin watched Sunyoung playing silently with the hem of her brother's shirt. They made eye contact but looked away sadly. Neither wanted to separate. Unfortunately they can't meddle with the things that would become part of their future. Plus, they're still young! 

Taemin slowly bent down and picked a wild dandelion from the grass. His father and Jungsoo were too engrossed in their conversation so he decided to have one with Sunyoung. He went up to her and took her hand before placing the dandelion in her palm. 

"Till the next time we meet" He stated, closing her fingers around it. Sunyoung looked up to him. 

"You really think we'll meet again in the future?" A nod was given by Taemin, who went back to his father's side. They walked away from the park as Taemin and Sunyoung held their longing stares at each other. 

"Come on" Jungsoo grasped his sister's hand and gently pulled her away from there. They were going to cross the road when Sunyoung heard her name being called out. 

She turned around and didn't expect the sudden kiss that Taemin had planted on her lips. He grinned and quickly ran away from there to avoid Jungsoo's wrath, who was dumbfounded by what was happening. His eyebrow twitched and he facepalmed himself before crossing the road with a blushing and giggly little Sunyoung. 

Hopefully, the two will meet again. 

 

 

***10 years later***

 

 

 The alarm clock fell to floor with a loud thud, waking Sunyoung up from her sleep. She tossed around in her bed and went to the edge to pick the clock and put it back to it's usual place.a yawn escapes her lips. 

She incoherently mumbled something while sitting up and grabbing a comb to comb her long brown hair. She had a shower next and laid out her school uniform on the bed. Dressed in only her bathrobe, she went to her brother's room and knocked on the door. 

"Oppa, wake up" 

No answer.

 "Jungsoo oppa!" She pounded the door numerously and heard a groaning and a loud thud. She frowned, "Oppa, did you fall off the bed again?" 

The response was muffled and she shrugged, heading back to her own room. Typical Jungsoo, always being a crack in the mornings. 

She put her books into her schoolbag before getting into her attire. She stared at herself in the mirror. Her skirt was just above her knees and she folded the sleeve up to her wrist. She can't believe she's the shortest girl in school. Like seriously, out of all schools and students, the short title landed on her. But she's not really that short, it's just that the other girls are abnormally taller than her. 

Well whatever. 

Skipping downstairs, she saw her brother standing sleepily in the kitchen with his hair straggled, not realising that he had over poured the amount of coffee into his mug. He jumped with a start when the hot drink spilled down to his trousers and he was there, hissing like a hot dragon and wiping his crotch (no erted thinking, please) like there was no tomorrow. 

Sunyoung snorted at his actions and grabbed a slice of bread before heading out to school. She bent down to pat her neighbour's cat which purred at her touch. Then it looked innocently at her and walked away. 

 

 

 

 

"Hey! Sunyoung!" A gentle slap at her back was enough to make Sunyoung shriek and drop her book. She exhaled and glared at her one heck of a giant friend. 

"Well good morning to you too, Jinri" She mocked, picking up her book. Then spotted her beloved bookmark next to it. She quickly grabbed and examined it for any damages. 

"Wow, chill dude. It's just a bookmark" Jinri laughed. Sunyoung shook her head and took out a few books from her locker, "It's not just any bookmark. It's a gift that someone has given to me a long time ago". 

This bookmark that she's been talking about is a dried pressed wild dandelion that has been laminated and made into a bookmark. Sunyoung loves to read, so that way she could look at the dandelion and enjoy her hobby at the same time. 

The school bell rung, indicating the first period for the students. The sound of lockers slamming closed was heard as if it was echoing and the two friends walked together to their class. Sunyoung hadn't noticed anything since she was engrossed in her conversation with Jinri, so it wasn't her fault that someone had bumped into her.

Her books fell and she hit the floor via her bottom. A guy groaned beside her but quickly got up, bowed at her muttering a sorry and sprinted away. Jinri helped Sunyoung up, cursing every bad word she knows about that guy's rude behaviour while Sunyoung was still in a daze. She has never seen the guy around the school before. But somehow...he seems familiar. 

"You okay?" Jinri's voice broke her out of her trance and she nodded, continuing their journey to the class. Jinri had left her to sit beside the school's jock, Minho. She wouldn't be mad though, because Minho happens to be attracted to Jinri as well, making them the 'it' couple which hasn't gone official yet. She chooses to sit in front of them to avoid looking at the goo-goo eyes they always make to each other. 

The teacher came in a few minutes later and the students scrambled around to get to their seats. A few of them were empty, including the one next to Sunyoung. To her, it's a bit of an advantage so that no one can interupt her while learning. She saw the teacher motioning for someone to come inside the classroom amidst all the commotion. 

She didn't really expect anything, but in such a sudden, the guy who had bumped her earlier had settled down in the seat next to hers. Out of all the seats there, he chose to be next to her. 

Well that kinda flattered her a bit. 

The lesson was begun without any introduction from the mysterious guy. However, Sunyoung wasn't able to concentrate on her studying as the guy kept glancing at her notes; as if he couldn't see what was written on the board. She couldn't tolerate it any longer. 

"Can't you see the board clearly?" She asked, sliding her notes near to him. Only then she got a better view of him. 

Wow. 

Dang, he's cute. Even cuter if seen in HD. Sunyoung found herself staring at him for a few seconds before he started waving his hand in front of her face. 

"I left my glasses at home" He informed her, "Can i borrow your notes later after class?" 

A slight nod came as a response and Sunyoung went back to her work. She was always like that around guys; always self-conscious and flustered. It's a bonus when it comes to cute guys, so that's why she hadn't had a lot of guy friends at school. 

The class went on with the boring lectures of the teacher. A few students had already dozed off and another one even had drool running down his chin. Sunyoung was trying her best not to let the sleepyness overtake her, so she filled her time by copying whatever nonsense the teacher had written on the board. 

The joy of the students were lightened up when the school bell rung. Sunyoung yawned and rubbed her watery eyes before packing up her things. Jinri had left with Minho since they have their next class together so she was all alone - again. Unless Soojung or Amber comes along, but they won't be meeting until lunch later. 

She noticed her seatmate standing just beside her and gave him a look. 

"Yes?" 

The guy smiled, watching Sunyoung stand up from her chair. 

"I'm a new student here. Could you help and show me the way around during lunch later? Just thought i should ask now since we'll be having different classes after this." Sunyoung passed him her notes and he slip them in between his files. 

She thought for a moment. She has no promises to meet anyone for lunch later and she certainly is not going to join Jinri and Minho's love staring competition. Well, why not? She is a bit of a helpful person herself. 

"Sure. Meet me outside the food court during lunch later" They walked together out of the classroom, "What's your name?" 

The guy looked at her before turning at a corner to his class. 

"Lee Taemin." 

 

 

 

 

 

Sunyoung took out her bookmark and stared at if for a while. She glanced at her wall clock afterwards; only half an hour to go before the meeting with Taemin. 

Lee Taemin...surely it couldn't be her Taemin from when they were kids right? Seriously, he moved to Jeju and they've lost contact of each other after a few months. She onced had been so delusional she thought her neighbour was him, but it turns out to be someone who only looks like him which goes by the name Jongin, not Taemin. 

But that Lee Taemin does look like her Lee Taemin. Or could it be a coincidence? But what if he is him? But... 

All the thinking had mad Sunyoung cried out in frustration, drawing the class attention to herself. The teacher raised his eyebrow. 

"Is something the matter, Miss Park Sunyoung?" 

Sunyoung shook her head and blushed a bit, taking in all the giggles that went off around her. Man, that was embarassing. She sure is lucky she had her control controlled or else she would've flip the entire class upside down already. 

The lunch bell went off and the hungry students rushed out of the class to fill their empty stomachs, ignoring the speechless teacher who hasn't even finish what he was explaining. 

Sunyoung exited the classroom and went towards the cafeteria to find Taemin waiting at a table. He waved over to her and she waved back, inviting a few of the students' curious stares. It wasn't everyday that Sunyoung talks to a guy. A cute one to be exact. But it wasn't their business so they went back to their lunches. 

Both Taemin and Sunyoung went to get their lunch and settled back down, sitting across each other. Taemin begin on his bread and Sunyoung ate some cauliflowers before the latter started the conversation about the whereabouts of the school. She began from A to Z and Taemin listened intently while throwing in a few questions here and there. They continued talking about themselves afterwards. 

What grabbed Sunyoung's attention was when Taemin mentioned that he lived in Jeju before he moved back to Seoul. His father was transferred there and he also had another intention. 

To find his childhood friend. 

At that exact moment, Sunyoung knew that this Taemin was her Taemin. But she wasn't so excited knowing that Taemin still hadn't realised that she was Sunyoung, his childhood friend. But she wasn't gonna inform him just yet. Let's just test him if he really had forgotten her face. 

"Do you still remember her name?" Sunyoung asked, elbows resting on the table. Taemin pouted a bit and thought for a while. 

"She's a Park" he said, "But i don't quite remember what her name was. I think it was...Jinyoung or Sooyoung or something" 

Typical Taemin, Sunyoung shook her head, always the one with the bad memory. 

Taemin went back to listing all the things they had done when they were children. The flashbacks entered Sunyoung's head like a clear video and she chuckles at every bit of his words. They went to the school's small park and settled down on a bench beside some bushes. 

Sunyoung tried inserting a few hints that she was the one, but Taemin didn't seem to notice it. She even took out her book and purposely let the bookmark slip out. 

"Ah! I remember giving her a dandelion the last time we met" Taemin exclaimed, handing it back to her. On the outside, Sunyoung gave him a wide smile and a surprised expression, saying that it was nice of him to do that. On the inside, she felt like pounding her head at the school's flag pole at Taemin's ridiculous sense of remembering. 

Seriously. 

Before they knew it, lunch had ended and they went back to their afternoon classes, bidding each other 'bye's and 'see you later's. Honestly Sunyoung couldn't concentrate for the rest of her lessons. Her mind was stuck on oblivious Taemin and his bad, bad memory. Throughout the class the dandelion bookmark was placed beside her notebook, and she lazily sketched some drawings of it with her chin placed on her palm. 

Does he really not realized it's her? 

 

 

 

 

 

"Oh, you're still here?" 

Sunyoung blinks twice at the boy standing in front of her. And here she was, reading quietly at the school's library and thinking that she might be the last student to leave. She looks around before taking Taemin's wrist to look at his watch. A gasp escapes her lips. 

"Oh my god, i didn't realise it was already this late!" She scrambled up, collecting her books and stuffing it into her backpack. The bag was slung at her shoulder and Taemin accompanied her out, holding her files. 

"Oh, give me that" Sunyoung reached for the files but Taemin scooted away. " Nah, i'll hold it." 

Sunyoung wanted to protest but she remembered that he used to be a bit of a stubborn kid. She shrugged and they both walked towards her house since Taemin said he wanted to walk her home. 

"I don't think she lives here anymore" Taemin put his hands in his pockets and kicked a pebble into the streets. Sunyoung watched him, studying his features that hasn't changed since they were 8. His eyes had gotten a bit sharper, though there was still the mischievious glint he always had. He seemed to have lost a bit of baby fat and the jawline was quite defined. She became aware of his adam's apple moving up and down his throat. 

"...and maybe you knew her or something" Sunyoung snapped out of her shameless ogling at Taemin when he nudged her, "Oi, were you even listening?" 

"Ah? Oh sorry, got dazed there for a bit" She tucked a strand of brown hair behind her ear, "What were you saying?" 

"Whether you'd know this girl of mine" 

Girl of mine. 

That's enough to give shivers to Sunyoung and she gulped, not wanting to reveal the secret yet. She shook her head slowly and bid a hello at a passerby. 

"I really want to see her. The last thing i gave her was my first kiss" That made Sunyoung blushed harder and Taemin kept on talking, "I think it was also her first kiss. I shocked her by landing a kiss so suddenly and her brother seemed like he wanted to kill me." 

A hearty laugh came from Sunyoung and he joins in. They both stopped at Sunyoung's gate and he smiled at her. 

"I guess i'll see you tomorrow then?" 

Sunyoung unlocked the gate and got in, waving at him. Taemin soon dissapeared from her sight as she locked the gate back. 

"You really have a bad memory Taemin" she muttered and walked at the front porch. She fumbled about for her keys in her bag when she heard shuffling behind her. 

"Sunyoung-ah" 

She nearly had a heart attack. Not because of Taemin appearing behind her when the fact that the gates had been locked. But it's because of the fact that he suddenly spun her around and kissed her, tilting his head to the side and moving his hands to cup her face. She hadn't had time to register as to what was happening as he pushed her against the front door and continued kissing her senselessly. 

She tried to kiss him back, but from the lack of experience, she did a sloppy job at doing it causing Taemin stop what he was doing and stiffle a laugh. She frowned and gently hit his chest. 

"You knew all along!!" She pouted. Taemin laughed, "Well i wanted to see your reaction" 

"Meanie..." She scowled but it turned into a huge grin. Taemin inched closer when Sunyoung stopped him, "But i think you need to run now" 

"Huh?" 

Sunyoung nudged her head towards her window, and Taemin could see a very pissed off Jungsoo grab hold of a broom and cracked his knuckles. 

"You're not a kid anymore, so it's not illegal for my brother to beat you up" Sunyoung tapped his lips as Taemin adjusted his collar, sweating and grinning nervously at Jungsoo before jumping over the gate, with Jungsoo dashing out of the house and followed him as well, "Good luck!"