Part V

Salvation

 

It was well over a week until they met again for the fourth time.

The day after Junjin had returned home from Andy’s house—with a hand-written copy of his calendar as well as a few packets of tea safely locked away in an airtight bag—the deathly green fog had set in once again. Junjin only took one step outside his housing complex before stepping inside again and swiftly shutting the large door with a curse. The fog was even thicker than before, so thick that Junjin couldn’t even see the world beyond the clumps of sickly green.

He rotated the crank next to the door like a madman until he thought he could no longer see any speck of green. And even then he’d gone and sprayed the area, and himself, with antiseptic spray. He wasn’t really one to panic (at least, not anymore) but the fog had really caught him by surprise. Usually they came with a little warning the day before, like a thicker mist, or perhaps even a change in color from yellowish to a shade just shy of light green.

He decided to lock himself inside his room for the day, wiping himself down with a towel for good measure (water was too scarce to be used to clean himself), and changing back into his pajamas before crawling underneath his covers. He didn’t sleep, instead keeping himself alert by recounting the events that had transpired since meeting Andy.

Well, he admitted that things were a bit more…interesting with Andy around. There was something else to do rather than take walks, and something else to keep the boredom away from his mind. And yet…

Junjin scowled, turning restlessly to lie on his side. There was something wrong. There was something wrong about Andy, about this strange acquaintanceship, about Junjin going over to have tea and about their little agreement and about how easy it was for them to talk—

No.

Deep breaths, relax, Junjin chanted this mantra in his head until he felt the beginnings of hysteria subside. There was definitely something wrong. Junjin didn’t let himself lose his composure over anything that trivial anymore. They were merely acquaintances—allies at most. They were only looking to survive, their relationship was purely business and on the interest of each of their own survival. Junjin did not care if Andy was to die, and Andy would probably not care if Junjin were the one who died. Junjin wasn’t looking for companionship, he was only looking out for his own survival.

But, even as the dredges of unwanted sleep started to blur and blacken his vision, he couldn’t keep himself from thinking about how wrong his own thoughts had sounded.

When the week had ended and Junjin was sure the fog had lifted (he didn’t know why he was so paranoid, it wasn’t like it really mattered if he died or not), he decided to check up on Andy. While his previous thoughts concerning Andy had been…disconcerting (as loath as he was to admit it, the thought had lingered in his mind for the entire week), it was probably for the best to check on Andy—or so he hoped.

Thus, making his trek through the familiar streets, Junjin set out to Andy’s house. He wondered what he should say. He did promise Andy that they would meet up the next day the last time they met. Of course, Junjin had to break that promise for obvious reasons. But who knew how Andy would react. Junjin didn’t know him long enough to be able to predict his reaction. Would he be slightly put off? Not upset at all? Completely understanding? From what Junjin had observed, he could surmise that Andy seemed like a rational person, so he could rule out an outburst from the smaller man.

The trek to Andy’s house ended far too shortly for his liking—yet again, he didn’t like staying out in the sick, putrid, green-colored mist either—and he casually welcomed himself inside the near abandoned housing complex, filtering out the dirty air and locking the steel door for good measure. Andy did say he was going to leave the door unlocked so that Junjin could let himself in. But Junjin thought he was being a bit stupid. Sure it seemed like they were the only two people in post-apocalyptic Seoul, but were they really? Honestly, leaving himself so vulnerable to danger was a very stupid move on Andy’s part.

It was partially common sense that leaving the front door unlocked when anything and everything could attack you was very idiotic and suicidal.

Was Andy really that willing to take the risk so that Junjin can visit?

He didn’t know, and frankly, he had had enough Andy-related thoughts the past week, he could do without another one.

Flushing his latest thought out of his mind, Junjin was about to continue on to Andy’s room when something throttled into him at full-speed. The air was completely knocked out of him, and he was trying his best not to fall that he didn’t take notice of the arms that wrap around his mid-section. And it was moments later when Junjin had managed to regain his breath that he noticed the sounds of soft sobbing and the tight—almost desperate—hold around his torso. Junjin didn’t need to see to know it was Andy.

“Y-you came,” Andy choked, the sheer relief audible in his voice. “I-I thought you wouldn’t—that something terrible happened to you—and I don’t know where you lived—”

Everything after that was a series of garbled and incoherent mumblings and sobs. Junjin was left dumbstruck as Andy continued to latch onto him like a koala. With a small cough, Junjin awkwardly rubbed small circles on the clearly troubled male’s back, waiting patiently for the other to calm down before trying to talk rationally with him.

It took a while but Andy finally calmed down, heart wrenching sobs depleting to small hiccups. Junjin took a small step back when Andy had completely loosened his arms. Confusion still plagued his mind even as Andy wiped his face with the back of his sleeve (Junjin wanted to remark at how unhygienic that was), Junjin quickly pondered upon what he should do next.

He certainly didn’t expect Andy to have a complete emotional breakdown, he mused bitterly. But then again, what was there to expect? He didn’t know Andy. They only met thrice and only held a decent conversation twice. Andy was a mystery to him as much as, he hoped, he was a mystery to Andy.

“Sorry,” Andy sniffed. “I-I just assumed the worst and—can we just forget this ever happened?”

Junjin immediately agreed, nodding his head stiffly. It was always better to never ask.

“Again—sorry. I mean, the fog went away a few days ago and you still hadn’t come so I was worried that—” Andy cut himself off, but Junjin knew what he was talking about.

“I usually wait for about a week before going out after a fog,” Junjin admitted.

“But how do you know it’s been a week?” Andy protested.

“I can count the days,” Junjin rebutted, “Plus I have a working digital clock back home.”

Andy seemed to have defused for a while, turning silent even when Junjin prompted him with pointed looks. Junjin didn’t know what was wrong with Andy, but he knew he had to be careful whenever he interacted with the shorter man. It was almost like dealing with a ticking time bomb, one Junjin didn’t particularly want to deal with.

“Then—” Andy spoke up, “Then can we meet everyday?”

Everyday? Junjin was just about to complain about the absurdity of that when Andy swiftly cut him off. “I’ll share whatever spoils I have with you. You can use anything you want from my house and I’ll help you with whatever you need as long as it’s within my power. Just—please, can you see me everyday?”

Junjin paused, on one hand, it was a very tempting offer, on the other, he didn’t want to associate himself with Andy any further than he already had.

But…Junjin just couldn’t say no, he couldn’t bring himself to say no.

And he just didn’t know why.

Without thinking, he consented, his head moving in a slight nod. Andy visibly brightened and began to drag Junjin by the hand to the general direction of his room, his smile bright and blinding, like a child who just got what he wanted for Christmas.

“Great! I found my old Monopoly set, we can play that while drinking this good tea I found the other day, it tastes a lot less stale than the one I gave you the other week.”

Junjin didn’t like what he was getting himself into.


This chapter... Let me be honest with ya here, I hate this chapter. But I need to make clear that Andy has a problem, because it's an important plot point. What kind of problem? Patience my dear readers. ;D All will be revealed in time. The next chapter will explore more of Junjin's mysterious past. Then again, both of their pasts are mysterious. Hopefully the next chapter will be waaaay better than this one.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUBSCRIBES, VIEWS, COMMENTS AND UPVOTES!!!!!!

All this love for JinDy TT^TT I'm so happy!!! LET ME HUG YOU PEOPLE!!!!