Part XIV

Salvation

‘Another day’ came sooner than expected.

For when Junjin returned home, he found the door to both the bunker and his room opened and inside—a mess. Ransacked. His most private and personal effects were thankfully still in tact (strategically hidden under a false floorboard underneath his bed, every room had that secret compartment), but he wasn’t about to check his kitchen for the supplies he knew was no longer there.

The house that he had been living in since this hell started, where he grieved for a lost love, torn asunder as if a piece of paper. His sanctuary contaminated with the outside forces he tried to shut himself away from to begin with. Why did this have to happen to him? Why did it have to be him?

His mind raced as he realized—the air! The door was left open and who knew how long Junjin would have the air clean again. How was he supposed to sleep? How was he supposed to eat? Where could he go?

Andy.

All at once the buzzing in his mind stopped.

Andy.

Junjin’s mind began to rage with a mixture of hope and fury. Andy.

Could it have been Andy who did this to him?

Could Andy have betrayed his trust, his acceptance, his call for companionship? Could Andy, who smiled so brightly at him, gave him his own supplies without hesitation, do this sort of thing to him? Could he have?

No.

A more rational part, the hopeful part, of Junjin’s mind contributed. No, no he would not.

It was merely logic, if Andy indeed had done such a thing, what would stop Junjin from retaliating? It was a poorly executed crime—no, not crime (not in this lawless world)—if it were indeed the truth. Andy knew where Junjin lived just as Junjin knew where Andy lived, and they were the only ones who knew where they each lived. No fellow, unless so blindly desperate, would willingly put himself at the top of the suspect’s list.

But besides all that, besides all the logic his mind supplied, Junjin knew that whatever Andy did and said was heartfelt and sincere, enough to chip away at the frozen walls of his blackened heart. It was a feeling, an intuition, but he felt like he could put his trust in Andy, even if Andy himself was an odd one to be sure.

Then came his other thought: Would Andy allow Junjin to stay with him?

It’s a thought that brings him silent hope and cautious anxiety. In his mind there was no doubt that Andy would welcome his company with open arms for as long as he liked, but there were worst case scenarios to consider, and dozens upon dozens of excuses why this was a terrible idea.

Because at the end of the day, Junjin still couldn’t fully trust Andy. A shortcoming that he had come to find to be his own rather than the shorter man’s. But… Junjin had decided that it was time for a change, to accept that he was changing and it was all because of Andy. So…why was he hesitating so much?

Perhaps it was fate, fate ordained Junjin to be left without shelter and food and have nowhere else to turn to except for Andy. Perhaps it was god’s will, for Junjin to finally fully realize that he needed more than human companionship, more than food and small-talk and enough rest. Perhaps it was finally time for him to realize that he needed to exorcise his own demons.

However, the rational part of Junjin’s mind piped up, it would be wise to tackle one problem at a time: namely the problem of food and shelter and breathable air.

So he wasted no time in packing his personal trinkets (sealed safely in an air-tight box with a number lock), what remains of his clothes, and whatever else he could salvage from his wrecked house into a ratty backpack he’d kept in his dresser. He’d think of ways to clean out the air later when he’s somewhere safer than there.

Hauling the baggage over his back and pulling the straps into place, Junjin took one final look at his house before he left. This was the house he spent grieving, alone, in the dark and suffocating world of post-apocalyptic Seoul. And there he was, packing his bags and leaving until who knows when. He’d never imagined himself being in such a position, even if circumstances prodded him to do so.

But it wasn’t the time to dwell on things, so he closed the door and left—and didn’t once look back.

 

-

 

“Oh my goodness—Of course, of course you can stay! Please, come in, you can put your bag on the couch. You look exhausted, let me go make you some tea!”

Of course, Andy had no qualms in taking him in. He'd just about pushed Junjin into the room before skittering off to make tea. Junjin could only sigh as he heard the telltale clatter and clunk in the kitchen as Andy twittered about. Junjin made his way to the couch and sat himself down, settling his backpack gently down beside him. His backpack held his most important treasures, so he kept an arm around it, just in case Andy had funny ideas about trying to see what was inside.

But, Junjin had to admit, being inside Andy’s house had soothed his nerves after a trying day. Both the revelation that he was changing and didn’t mind that he was, and the revelation that his house was ransacked left him exhausted both physically and mentally. He could only be thankful towards Andy for being considerate enough to make him tea.

Speaking of which, Andy had appeared as soon as Junjin’s train of thought ended, bringing what seemed like a mug of tea. Andy settled the tea on the coffee table in front of him, took one look at Junjin’s arm resting on his backpack, and quickly settled on the opposite side of the couch, smiling at Junjin.

“I’m sorry it’s not warm, I just can’t seem to find my matches… But, oh, are you okay? You’re not hurt, are you?”

Junjin shook his head and gratefully took the mug, downing the lukewarm, tasteless tea quickly. “No, I’m not hurt, thanks. I’m sorry to trouble you with all this.”

Andy smiled and said, “No, no trouble at all! I’m happy that you came to me for help instead of…”

Junjin was quick enough to notice the lengthy pause as well as how Andy’s face gradually fell into a grim frown, but Andy was quick to rectify his sentence and force back his smile.

“Anyways, I hope you don’t mind staying in Junghyuk’s bedroom. I haven’t touched it since you stayed in it so hopefully it’s not too dusty in there. Oh, and you can use his old clothes if you like. I’d offer you mine but,” Andy trailed off with a slight chuckle, “it’s obvious our sizes are completely different. His would fit you better, I think.”

Junjin nodded once more, only half-listening to the buzz of Andy’s voice. When he wasn’t mentally tormenting himself for actually liking the other man’s company, he found Andy’s voice to be particularly soothing. It wasn’t Hyesung’s voice, with its warmth and melodical qualities, but it was soothing. Junjin could finally understand why he enjoyed Andy’s company even when their conversations were mostly one-sided.

Junjin realized a sudden lulling silence and turned towards Andy, only to find him smiling giddily at him. It was…well, Junjin would be the first to admit that it was an endearing smile, but he would also be the first to say that it looked…off. Junjin always felt that there was something off about Andy, and moments like those only seem to further his suspicions.

“Something funny?” Junjin asked, raising a brow in question.

“No, nothing,” Andy replied, still smiling, “It’s just—I’m just happy. I like our outings and all but I’ve always wondered what it’s like if you lived with me.”

Junjin was genuinely stumped, had Andy really been thinking about that all this time? He had no idea whether to find the idea flattering or genuinely creepy. They may be two people banded together in a quest of survival, but were they such close friends? Junjin knew he never had a thought of them living together, even if dire circumstances urged them to. Junjin was about to reply with something—anything—but Andy stood up before he could get a word in edgewise.

“You can stay here for as long as you like,” Andy announced. “But, hm, if Junghyuk were to come back while you’re staying here…Ah, we’ll figure it out later, okay?”

And there it was again, the belief that Junghyuk would actually come back to him, despite how much time he’d spent waiting for a man who was most likely dead. Junjin only nodded as Andy smiled and told him that he was going to change his clothes but ‘will be right back!’ because, who was Junjin to ruin his hopes and dreams? Wasn’t it already established that Junjin actually didn’t hate Andy? Would he do such a thing to someone he didn’t hate?

Junjin sighed, letting his head fall back onto the couch. Whatever he was getting into when he decided to stay at Andy’s, he knew that it was going to be troublesome.


A/N: Hey everyone! I've actually been working on this chapter for a while because this is a pivotal chapter where I can finally have their romantic relationship sprout and bloom instead of just their friendship. Are you excited? You should be! I know I am. Romantic JinDy is finally going to happen!!! :D I can finally see an end in sight, even if it's still so, so, so far out of reach.