Part XII

Salvation

That time wasn’t so much a restart of their relationship as it was taking their friendship to a whole different level.

Junjin wasn’t sure what he thought about that.

“Which one’s better, the red one, or the green one?”

Junjin wasn’t sure what to think about the both of them sitting in Andy’s living room, picking through Andy’s old Christmas decorations, and having a one-sided debate about which colored streamers looked better on the drab walls of Andy’s home.

Junjin wasn’t sure what to think, or what to say, or even how to respond. Actually, Junjin’s brain hadn’t been functioning very well ever since Andy went back to his old cheerful self and proceeded to talk his ears off once more. It had gotten to the point where Junjin didn’t even bother trying to drown out Andy’s chatter into mindless static—hell he didn’t even feel the same mounting irritation that he felt when he first had experience of Andy’s incessant talking. It all started to sound, dare he say it, pleasantly routine to him.

“Maybe the red one. It’ll make the bland white paint look brighter than it actually is.”

The following week after that incident in the playground was a blur to Junjin as his mind tried to catch up with everything that had happened. Everything was going to fast and it was leaving him bewildered once more. Yet, he didn’t feel the need to rush his mind as it took everything in, nor did he feel the pressing frustration that settle heavily in his mind at times of stress. It was just surprisingly, pleasantly easy-going.

“But the green has a richer feel to it. More sophisticated I guess, and it’s just as bright as the red one.”

Junjin’s actually finding himself kind of enjoying sitting on the tattered rug in Andy’s living room, a mug of hot (Andy insisted that he had more than enough matches to boil water) tea in his hands as Andy eyed the two streamers like a jeweler would observe and compare two beautiful gems. Junjin’s let his shoulders relax a little as he leaned against the couch, savoring the taste of hot tea in his mouth.

“Which one do you think?”

What was Andy asking about again? …Ah yes.

“Red one. Suits you better.”

Andy nodded, looking satisfied, as if he had thought the exact same thing. “Great choice, thanks Jinnie.”

His mind faintly registered the fact that Andy had called him ‘Jinnie’ and ‘When did he start calling me that?’ But it’s kind of comfortable and Junjin’s actually getting kind of sleepy from the heat of the mug in his hands and the distant lull of Andy humming some odd, unfamiliar tune.

“Yah Jinnie, are you falling asleep?”

Andy’s playful reprimand forcibly dragged Junjin out of the dredges of sleep. He blinked, abruptly sitting up and straightening his back, his eyes wide open and his mind clear for the first time that week. His gaze settled onto Andy, who was leaning forward and over the box filled with assorted decorations, an amused smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

Junjin grunted in response, stretching his back and trying to lure himself back to the land of the living. Out of the corner of his eye, Junjin saw Andy rest his weight against the couch, curling into his sweater and chuckling, “I can’t believe you’re falling asleep when you’re supposed to help me redecorate.”

Junjin didn’t resist the urge to roll his eyes, “I can’t believe you actually want to redecorate using Christmas ornaments.”

Andy laughed, scooting closer over to where Junjin was sitting. “Would you prefer the Lunar New Year decorations, then?”

Junjin’s cleared mind registered the fact that Andy was starting to be far too close for comfort and discreetly shifted to put more distance between them. If Andy noticed he didn’t comment on it, as he proceeded to close his eyes and rest his head against the soft cushion of the couch. “It’d be better, maybe,” he mumbled, “All the red’s supposed to represent luck and prosperity, right?”

Junjin didn’t answer, knowing that Andy would either keep quiet or answer his own question. It was quiet, and Junjin’s brain had finally processed everything. Junjin was in Andy’s apartment, having a somewhat friendly (not entirely one-sided) conversation with the man, and he was actually kind of enjoying it. Perhaps all those times restricting himself to a life of loneliness had finally caught up with him and turned him crazy—needy, needy for a human companion to be by his side. Somehow, Andy’s presence had become a constant in Junjin’s life, and there was little that Junjin’s mind could offer to protest the intrusion.

Andy sighed, relaxing against the couch, “You know, a nap doesn’t sound so bad right now.”

Junjin snorted, “Thought you said you want it done by today.”

“But it’s nice and comfortable.”

Andy’s childish whine did little to sway Junjin. Junjin took hold of one of the man’s shoulders and shook. “Hey, get up, your tea’s going to get cold.”

“Don’t want to. Why don’t you take a nap too? You were falling asleep a few minutes ago.”

“Well I’m awake now, so get up.”

Andy didn’t answer—or more like he refused to answer, as he curled up even further and buried his face into the couch cushion. Junjin heaved a sigh of exasperation, why did he even bother with Andy? “Andy,” Junjin said sternly, as if he was reprimanding a child, “If you don’t get up right now I’m going to go home.”

Andy seemed to jolt out of his sleep-driven haze and sat up straight like an arrow. His eyes were wide as he looked at Junjin—pleading and apologetic, really looking like a child who had just been scolded by his mother. “I’m sorry,” Andy said frantically, “Please don’t go.”

Junjin didn’t have the heart to distress someone who gave him his first hot tea in a long while (hot beverages—no matter how odd the taste—settled well in his stomach and soothed his mind), so he nudged the box of ornaments towards Andy—as a sort of reassurance. “Let’s just get back to picking these out.”

Andy nodded eagerly, proceeding to continue to sift through the decorations again. Junjin silently watch him unload decoration after decoration—answering half-heartedly whenever Andy asked him a question, but staying quiet until Andy unloaded the last of the ornaments from the depth of the box.

“Okay,” Andy said, clasping his hands together. “So, we agree that the wreaths are definitely out—and the weird Christmas angels.” Andy quickly said as Junjin held the ornament up with pure disdain. “For the record, I wasn’t the one who bought those.”

There was a deaf moment of silence when Junjin regarded Andy with a disbelieving stare as the angel hung from the string pinched between Junjin’s fingers, looking at Andy with its beady eyes. Andy huffed and snatched the (atrocious) ornament away from his hands, shoving the thing inside the box. In response, Junjin took another angel lying amongst the haphazard decorations and waved it tauntingly in front of Andy’s face.

“Missed one.”

With slightly flushed cheeks, Andy lunged out to grab the ornament, but Junjin successfully dodged the attack and Andy was sent spiraling down onto the ground, letting out a puff of air when his chest hit the hard floor. Junjin downed the remaining tea in his mug and placed the ornament on top of the fallen Andy’s head.

“To be fair,” Junjin said, “I’ve seen worse.”

Junjin stood up and walked to the kitchen, putting the mug into the sink. When he went back to the living room he saw Andy, sitting on the ground with the Christmas angel in his hands, staring at him with eyes of bewilderment and awe. Junjin, more than just a little perturbed, reflexively flinched back at Andy’s unwavering gaze. “What?”

Andy sputtered and embarrassedly hung his head low, “Sorry, it’s just that…”

“That what?”

“This is… This is the first time you’ve joked around with me.”

Junjin stared at the back of his head. Andy was smiling, he was sure of it, hands twiddling on the soft hairs of the angel. His voice still held that unwavering uncertainty, but it was mostly concealed by the sheer happiness that radiated from his tone. Junjin heaved a breath.

“We…I…I think I should go back home.”

Junjin didn’t turn back when Andy shouted at him to wait. With quick strides Junjin crossed the threshold of the living room (not forgetting to pick up his mask that lay forgotten on the armrest) and reached the door. There were no footsteps when he reached the door, no desperate pleads of wait, just the air of resignation emanating behind him. Junjin sighed and said, quietly, “Hey, Andy?”

“Yeah?”

Junjin could hear the hope in his voice, probably hoping for him to stay. But this was all Junjin could handle for the day. Junjin didn’t want to lash out in his confusion and frustration again.

“I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Andy didn’t bother hiding the disappointment in his voice. “Okay…”

“I—I think the green streamers will look nice in your kitchen, though.”

Junjin was out the door by then, walking towards the main entrance without once glancing back. In that split second, Junjin could feel Andy’s smile piercing the back of his head.


AN: Another chapter in less than a month? What sort of miracle is this? Hahaha okay not really XD Some of your comments from the last chapter really motivated me, so here I am with a new chapter! (Now to go update my other stories...oops.)