The special taskforce (Pt 2)

SINS

 Morning dawned and by the time Taeyeon reached the conference room, Tiffany was already there, tapping away on her Asus Zenbook with a smile plastered on her face. Greeting Taeyeon cheerily, she placed a packet of black soya bean drink in front of her and smiled at the classic look of astonishment on Taeyeon's face. Humming a tune softly, she headed back to her seat and said out loud, "Isn’t the amount of information you can find online these days simply amazing?" Smirking a little, she plopped herself down behind her laptop and resumed the tapping of the keyboard once again.

Before Taeyeon could contrive a witty come back, the door swung inwards violently causing everyone in the room to jump a little. A tall and dark figure stood in the doorway with a look of annoyance on her face, intimidating everyone that was present in the room. Striding in with a scowl, she banged her palm heavily down on the conference table and narrowed her eyes, "which one of you idiots is the one that roused me from my peaceful sleep in the detention center.”

Turning to face Tiffany, Taeyeon conjured up the sweetest voice she could and said "she's all yours." Laughing silently at the expression on Tiffany's face, Taeyeon folded her arms and sipped at the drink before her while watching the drama unfold between Tiffany and the newcomer.

Putting on her most professional sounding voice, Tiffany smiled and walked towards the figure with her hand extended. "You must be Kwon Yuri, welcome to the first meeting of the special task force. I am Tiffany, your...colleague. I am so glad that you are actually willing to enchant us with your honorable presence. Please take a seat, the meeting will start soon." 

Detecting the hint of sarcasm in Tiffany's words, Yuri growled and grabbed at her extended hand. Pulling her in forcibly, she bunched up the collar of Tiffany's shirt and stared down at her face with fury blazing in her eyes. “I know when you are being sarcastic, so just drop the entire pretense and let me get on with my life, you pompous admin staff." 

Realizing that the situation was fast getting out of hand, Taeyeon hurriedly jump in and grabbed onto Yuri's drawn back fist. "There’s really no need to resort to violence or sarcasm, lets all just calm down and we will settle this like an adult ok?”

Finally managing to calm Yuri down, Taeyeon sat down with her by the corner of the room and asked “why are you so against the idea of joining the special taskforce?”

With a solemn expression, Yuri replied “the last time you managements needed to find someone to go on an undercover mission, I was selected and was eventually posted out with a few other guys, in the end they all died before my eyes and I barely made it out myself. This time, I want to live longer.”

Smiling, Taeyeon patted Yuri on the shoulder “Don’t worry; it’s not an undercover mission you are going on. All I want you to do is to lend us your abilities to help us crack those nutcases that are going around killing people. Not just that, because we were created directly as per the orders of the head of police, we are given authority over the entire police force.”

Hearing that, Yuri’s eyes twinkled “So…you mean I can get that old fart superior of mine to clean my shoes for me and he cannot say no.”

Nodding her head Taeyeon glanced over at the direction where Tiffany was sitting and whispered “Just remember to make it seem like its work related.”

Breaking out into a smile at last, Yuri took out a pen from her pocket and looked at Taeyeon “So where do I sign?”

=========================================================================================================================

The door swung open once again just as they were discussing the details and a young girl bounded into the room cheerily. Taking a cursory glance at the people in the room, she stood at attention and saluted “Police trainee 1314 Im Yoona reporting for duty.”

Looking pleased with herself, Tiffany glanced over at where Taeyeon was sitting and raised her hand in a victory sign. Gesturing to Yoona to take a seat, Tiffany called out her details on the laptop and started reading them out to the team members. “Her name is Im Yoona, born on 30th May 1990. It took her 8 years to complete her elementary school education and 5 years to graduate from middle school." 

Bursting out into a snort, Yuri faked an attempt to stifle a giggle "Wow, there's finally someone that can beat my record of staying longer in school. No wonder she's still a trainee cop. Maybe she can set a new record at the police academy too for being the oldest trainee ever."

Rolling her eyes at the coldness of Yuri's attempt at joking, Tiffany broke her gaze from the laptop screen and glanced at Yuri's direction "Oh I am sure she can NEVER break your record of having the thickest bad behavior file in the whole of the police department." Ending her retort with the sweetest smile she could conjure up, Tiffany watched on in glee as Yuri sat seething in her seat before continuing her introductory report on Yoona.

Finally reaching the end of the list, Tiffany sat back and silently observed the expression on Yoona’s face. Throughout the entire speech, she sat at attention in her chair just like how they were trained in the academy and a smile hung on her face. Even after finding all the details she could, Tiffany found herself unable to fathom why Taeyeon had chosen this trainee police over the many award winning elite police personnel she had found for her.  Casting a glance at Taeyeon, she watched her casually crush and toss away the empty drink packet before clearing and speaking up.

“I am sure many of you here are puzzled as to why I have chosen Yoona over the many other supposedly better choices. So let me ask you guys a question before I explain myself. One day, there was an insurance agent walking on the streets. Halfway through, he met a little girl and noticed that she had a bunch of keys hung around her neck. The next day, that little girl was found dead. When the police discovered her body, they noticed that she had been stripped and nothing could be found on her body. So, who do you think killed her and why?”

 Looking at everyone present in the room, Taeyeon smiled at the concentrated expression on their faces and at the only raised hand in the room. After making sure that everyone had given up, she gestured to Yoona to stand up and relieve them before they start developing a headache. Stepping forward, Yoona smiled and revealed the answer. “It’s pretty simple actually, for one we know it was definitely the insurance agent that did it and the reason for doing that is so that he can take this opportunity to sell his insurance plans to the victim’s parents. Also, the reason for him to strip the little girl is to make it clear that this is a case of murder and not suicide and the reason for taking the keys around her neck is so that he can instill fear into her parents allowing him to also persuade them to take up home insurance for the protection of their safety at home.”

Looking at Yuri, Tiffany stuck out her tongue and whispered softly under her breath “I knew it’s impossible to find someone who’s actually dumber than you. Don’t you know, you are the epitome of the saying all brawns and no brains.” Laughing softly, she turned her back on Yuri and focused her attention on Yoona once again.

Looking at the expression on Yuri’s face, Taeyeon knew the previous display Yoona had put up was not enough to convince them to accept her into the team. Asking Yuri to stand up, she told Yoona to close her eyes and face the wall. Gesturing to Yuri to hold up the pen she was previously using, Taeyeon asked Yoona to try and guess what it was that Yuri was holding up.

Keeping her eyes closed, Yoona replied confidently “A Mont Blanc John Lennon Special Edition Fountain Pen with the name Kwon Yuri engraved in gold on the side.”

Unable to believe what she had just heard, Yuri hurriedly put the pen down and held up her empty right fist instead “How about now?”

Sniffing the air, Yoona smiled and replied “There’s nothing in your hands now except for the smell of perfume.”

Awed by the performance she had just displayed, everyone now knew why Taeyeon had insisted on having a trainee join the special task force. Yoona was someone with an extremely keen sense of observation. She had noticed Yuri using the pen to fill up the transfer of department form just now and had remembered all the details of the pen. Also, the odd jobs she had done since young had primed all her senses and she could now differentiate between the few thousand different fragrances in the air just like how trained perfume makers could.

And so, the special task force was formed just like that. Without the flashing of cameras nor was any there huge newspaper reporting about it, but it was still marked as very important day for the police force, for there was now a department specially set up to solve the cases that were previously deemed for closures, a day where they could hold their heads up high and proclaim that there is now indeed no case too hard for them.