The dismantled Snowman

SINS

Why love if losing hurts so much? I have no answers anymore; only the life I have lived. The pain now is part of the happiness then.  - Anthony Hopkins
 

2012 1st January. - A day when snow fell.

This was a day when everyone slept in after partying their lives out the night before. Snow had fallen throughout the night and a thick coat of it laid everywhere, painting the surroundings white. The janitor woke up as per her usual daily schedules and stepped out into the courtyard to clear the walkway of snow. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she fixated her gaze on the snowman that appeared before the girls' dormitory and wondered which student had taken the time to build this. 

The sky got brighter as the sun rose and it was then when she discovered something peculiar about this snowman. Approaching it cautiously, she poked it with her finger and was shocked when it came into contact with something hard. Gathering up her courage, she slowly scraped the snow away and screamed when she discovered a pair of lifeless eyes staring back at her.

===========================================================================================================================

The courtyard was bustling with life as students began gathering around the cordoned area, curious as to what had happened the night before. The news had spread like wildfire and soon different versions of horrific stories surfaced, curdled by the student's overactive imaginations. A car screeched to a stop behind them, forcing the students to scatter away like flies. The door opened and a pair of long shapely legs appeared by the driver's side, drawing wolf whistles from the hormone raging male students.

Curling her index finger, the figure beckoned to one of the nearest male student and he walked over, accompanied by boos and screams of unfair from his school mates. Pointing at the boot of her car, she told him to open it and take out the metalic box that laid inside. Disappearing back into the driver's seat, she soon emerged with a steaming styrofoam cup in hand and smiled as she popped a piece of rice cake into . 

Walking towards the cordon lines, she placed a lanyard over her head and greeted the guard on duty. The name on the lanyard identified her as Choi Sooyoung, the forensic pathologist assigned to this case. The forensic team had gathered all the evidence they could find and it was now her job to find out the cause of death. Carefully scrutinising at the disturbing snowman before her, Sooyoung poked at the last piece of rice cake in her cup and got to work. 

It didn't take long before she discovered that this snowman's limbs belonged to actual human and after a series of dna checks, it was revealed that these hands and legs belonged to at least four other girls bringing the death toll up to a total of 5. Walking over to the interviewing police, she stopped and listened to what this female student was saying. 

"Last night, I heard the sound of something crawling on the floor. There was also dragging sounds and after I fell asleep, I had a nightmare of waking up to use the toilet outside. On the way, I saw my neighbour crawling out of her dorm. Her legs had been chopped off and she was using one of it to help drag herself along. There was a long trail of blood and she was staring at me with tormented eyes. It was terrifying. "

Bending down to the female student's eye level, Sooyoung calmly stared into her eyes and said to her "It was not a dream that you had. What you saw was all real." Looking at the disbelief in her eyes, Sooyoung stood up to leave "Don't you know you have a habit of sleepwalking?" Smiling, she patted the student on the shoulder before walking back towards her car.