Meeting New Faces and the First Day of School

The Athlete and the Nerdy Foreigner

*Ryeowook POV – Last Day of Summer*

Jeez! New York City was much bigger than all of the pictures I've seen portrayed it to be. There are so many streets and places to go… It’s also insanely crowded – much more crowded than I expected. Well, I guess that’s what I have to expect from “The City That Never Sleeps”.

“Wookie?” A soft voice called from outside my bedroom; it was my mom.

“Yes, umma?”

“You should get to sleep now. It’s already 11:18pm and you have your first day of school tomorrow! You don’t want to be late, do you?”

“Andwae, umma. Good night.”

With that statement, she nodded, turned off my lights, and left my room. I laid under my sheets, thinking about the infinite amount of events that could occur tomorrow. I was quite nervous. Even though they taught us English in Korea, I could barely speak it without sounding awkwardly foreign. I could understand it fluently though, thank Shisus. The longer I lay awake in my bed, more questions began to emerge in my head.

What if they find out I’m … biual? Would the students bully me? Would I fight back? Or would I just passively allow them to abuse me? Are the teachers nice? Will I make friends? Where would I eat for lunch? Would my classes be hard? What if I’m late tomorrow?

All these questions will be answered tomorrow,’ I told myself. I closed my eyes and soon fell asleep.

 

– Next morning: First Day of School –

I groggily opened my eyes as pale morning light peeked out from the curtains and hit my eyes. I slowly got up and rubbed my eyes as I walked over to my bathroom. I took a warm shower and changed into my outfit. It was a snugly-fit, plain, navy t-shirt and dark skinny jeans. I was going to wear white sneakers with it. Once I fixed my hair and made sure I looked decent, I headed downstairs to my kitchen.

I looked at the clock. It was only 7:30. Class started at 8:15 and it only took 3 minutes to get to school by subway. That meant I had time to eat, walk around the school’s hallways, and go to my locker. I took out my Special K cereal and milk and started eating my breakfast. As soon as I was done, I rinsed my bowl and placed it in the sink. I got my books and walked out of my apartment and down the elevator into the lobby. There, I noticed a tall, muscular boy walk into the lobby from the second elevator. Since his back was turned to me, I didn’t see his face.

I didn’t pay him much attention, though, and took the short trip to the subway entrance. During the momentary ride through the dark subway tunnels, I noticed the same guy from the lobby earlier. Since he was sitting on the opposite side of the subway car, I could see his face clearly.

God was he handsome…

He had huge brown eyes that could burrow into someone’s soul and luscious heart-shaped lips. He also had fluffy brown hair that swooped into a spiked curve above his head revealing flawless skin (A/N: Just imagine Bonamana Kyuhyun >.<). He seemed quite tall too; I couldn’t tell because he was sitting. He was wearing a white V-neck, skinny jeans, and white converse. He was also sporting a green and white varsity jacket with my new school’s mascot and logo on it. It had “K. Cho” embroidered on the chest and the years he was on the team were sewn onto the left sleeve: 2010, 2011, and 2012. He must have been a senior too, considering he only had 3 years on his jacket.

He caught me staring at him and our eyes met for a second. I blushed furiously and looked away, but I still felt his gaze on me. He probably thought I was some freak...

I go off the subway as soon as possible and crossed the street to a building with a huge electronic sign that was branded “New York City High School – Daily Announcements” and said:

·   Welcome back to school! Let’s look forward to the 2012-2013 school year!

·   Be sure to support your NYHS Gladiators and football team captain Kyuhyun Cho on their first game of the season, HOME on Friday, Sept. 7th!

 

I entered the main doors like all of the other students and went to Admissions to get my locker, locker combination, and schedule.

I walked to my locker on the first floor and opened it. It was fairly new and was really clean and shiny. I piled all of my textbooks and notebooks in, except the ones I needed for the day and walked to my first class. According to the ajumma in Admissions, I would have 2 different schedules, an A-Day and a B-Day, and the two would alternate; this meant that today would be an A-Day, tomorrow B-Day, Friday would be an A-Day, Monday a B-Day, and so on. Also, the two days had four different classes each, and we had 1 hour for lunch in between the 2nd and 3rd class. On an A-Day I have AP Literature, Phys. Ed, Business and Computer application, and AP Government. Tomorrow, on my B-Day, I’ll have AP Calculus, Art, and AP Physics. As a senior privilege, we get to leave after the 3rd class while underclassmen had to stay for one more class. I took most of the classes that I have now in Korea so that seemed pretty easy to me.

My first class was AP (Advanced Placement) in Literature and Writing. Admissions-ajumma also told me that AP classes were higher equivalents to honors classes and were very competitive in terms of grades. I walked in and greeted my teacher, Mrs. Ross. I gave her a copy of my schedule – just like I had to do for all my teachers – and she nodded, telling me to stand by my desk and wait for the rest of the class to arrive.

Less than 5 minutes later, all of my classmates arrived. There weren’t many of us so I was less nervous and I introduced myself,

“H-hello, my name is Ryeowook Kim.”

I flashed the class my best smile and aegyo. As I stood in the front of the classroom, I noticed that the “Cho” guy from the lobby, subway car, and the one was mentioned in the school’s announcements was in this class. Wow, I didn’t think that football players were smart … He was staring at me again and I blushed, but I just pretended like I didn’t notice. Mrs. Ross directed me to the seat next to him and introduced him to me.

“Ryeowook, this is Kyuhyun Cho. Or is it Cho Kyuhyun? Eh… Well, you’ll be sitting here for the year. Kyuhyun will also be your translator for the next few days. He is Korean like you and can speak and understand fluently…” Kyuhyun gave me a dazzling smile that made me blush, “I’m only giving out course descriptions and such today so here they are … Now, Kyuhyun, please Mr. Kim and yourself to the library, use the rest of the period introduce yourself and get to know each other better.”

Kyuhyun nodded and said in a deep, honey-like voice, “I’d love to.” He got up and used his hand to help me maneuver around the slew of books and desks. My heart skipped a beat the sudden contact and I blushed.

She walked away and we headed towards the door. A few girls were giving me jealous looks in the hallways for some reason but I just ignored them. Kyuhyun gave them cold glances but turned to give me a warm smile. Why did he do that to those girls but not to me? … We walked into the library and awkwardly sat ourselves down on two sofa chairs, facing each other.

 

*Kyuhyun POV*

I sighed as I walked into the subway car. Today is the first day of senior year. I wasn’t so nervous but there’s always that feeling that you have to show up better than ever before during your senior year. This was going to be quite a hassle for me. I was in AP classes, and was on the varsity football team. The past three years haven’t been bad but having AP classes, and a demanding position as quarterback on the team was a handful. There would be lots of homework and such little time to do it with practice taking so long. I was expected to make it to a great college. I’m really looking towards Rutgers University in New Jersey. They have great programs, both academically and physically (football). Even though I’ll be playing football, I want to be a singer or possibly a teacher like my father. I’d be trying out for SM Entertainment during the summer before my freshman year. If I didn’t make it in, at least I’d have a college to go to.

I suddenly had that feeling that someone was staring at me. I looked up.

And oh my gosh.

Staring at me was the cutest and most beautiful person I have ever seen in my life. He had light brown hair that swooped into a curve above his eyebrows and full, pink lips that I wanted to just kiss forever. Yes, everyone, I am gay. Everyone in the school knows and they don’t care. I’m actually quite proud of my uality. He was dressed very nicely, too. He realized he was staring at me and that I was looking at him – my heart skipped a beat. He blushed like crazy and looked away. Cute. I wanted to talk to him but he just ran out of the subway car and out onto the street. .. I might not ever see him again ...

I walked out onto the street too and walked into the school. I went to my locker and looked at my schedule. On an A-Day I have AP Literature, Phys. Ed, Business and Computer application, and AP Government. Tomorrow, on my B-Day, I’ll have AP Calculus, Art, and AP Physics.  I walked into my first class and greeted Mrs. Ross. I walked to a seat at the back and played around on my IPhone for a while. Class started and a sweet, slightly high-pitched voice that I didn’t recognize spoke up. I looked up and saw the same cute guy from the subway.

“H-hello, my name is Ryeowook Kim,” he said, smiling and using aegyo. Aigoo, he’s so cute.. I didn’t realize I was staring at him but he did and he blushed again. I saw Mrs. Ross and him approach me.

“Ryeowook, this is Kyuhyun Cho. Or is it Cho Kyuhyun? Eh… Well, you’ll be sitting here for the year. Kyuhyun will also be your translator for the next few days. He is Korean like you and can speak and understand fluently…” I gave him a good smile and he blushed again, “I’m only giving out course descriptions and such today so here they are … Now, Kyuhyun, please Mr. Kim and yourself to the library, use the rest of the period to introduce yourself and get to know each other better.”

“I’d love to,” I said and we got up. I used my hand to gently guide his body around the maze of desks and books on the floor and I felt an unfamiliar shock run through my body. As we were walking side-by-side in the hallway, I saw a lot of the girls give him dirty, jealous looks. I gave them cold glances but gave my cute little Ryeowookie a smile.

Wait what did I just call him?

 

*Ryeowook POV*

After sitting in what felt like a sea of awkwardness, Kyuhyun spoke up,

“Soo … ”

 


Annyeong, my dear readers!!

Well due to high demand, here is the first chapter :D!! I will try to update the next chapter as soon as possible, but it won't be as long as this one sorry >.<

Do you like the picture!? It's Kyuwook's vacation in Greece! YAAAAAAAAY! To be honest though, I kinda wish Hyukkie wasn't there so it could be a FULL-ON KYUWOOK VACATION GETAWAY!!!! Imagine!? WELL, I still love Hyukkie very much and I love him even more for taking this picture :D!

*Please respect Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and Hyukjae's privacy during their vacation in Greece. We all know they don't get a lot of time off so please let them enjoy it!*

 

Comment/Subscribe if you haven't already (: