Ceremony (Part 1)

Two Worlds Apart

"Did you just reabsorbed your own blood?" Lu Han asked, surprised by her power.

=========================================================================================================================

She froze. Her hand hovered above the fabric of her sleeves. 

"Is it weird that I can do this?" She questioned when she noticed his shock expression.

"Ummm..I wouldn't say it is weird. But..." he paused, putting his hand on his chin thoughtfully.

"But?" She continued cleaning up her shirt.

"It isn't normal, either. You probably need to be at least level 5 to do it," he thought hard and chose his words carefully. This technique seems familiar, he have read it somewhere before. The problem is, he have read too much books and he cannot remember where he got the information from. Is it Advanced Angel Skills Volume 6? Or is it something else? Soon, Lu Han became engross and lost in his own thoughts. 

"Ahhhh, finally clean!" she smiled, satisfied with the spotless white uniform.

"Alright.Shall we get going?' she asked, nudging Lu Han.

"Oh. Right. We better hurry." He snapped right out of his thoughts and took a step forward.

"That girl is sure mysterious..." he muttered, he can't help but to wonder about the sight he have seen earlier.

==========================================================================================================================

After a few minutes of walking, the pair finally reached the golden gates of Celestial Elements High.  Many students have already gathered in front of the opened gates. 

"Wow, thats a really big crowd! But, why aren't they going inside the school?" Byul Ri looked around, clearly excited by her surroundings.

"You really don't know anything about the school?" he scoffed at the behaviour of Byul Ri.

There is nothing good about this school.Everyone are power hungry and disgusting. He thought silently, but didn't voice out this unpopular opinion.

"Why don't you enlighten me, Mr know-it-all?" Byul Ri replied sarcastically.

"Alright, listen well ." he rolled his eyes,taking a deep breath before continuing.

"...Celestial Elements High is one of the few prestigious schools in the celestial world. Many guardian angels have trained and graduated from this school.The school is separated from the city of Guardians, Kronos, by a lush green forest. Celestial barrier is set up around the perimeters of the school and filled with constant supply of mana from the trees."

"...WH..WHAT is your head made up of?" she stared open-mouthed as Lu Han finished his last sentence.

Smiling triumphantly, he continued on.

"We, the first years, are suppose to gather infront of the gate and wait for the seniors to bring us for the ceremony. Didn't you read your student handbook?" he smirked at Byul Ri.

"W-Well, I don't see the need to. Why bother like you?" she pouted. 

"Because he have no power, perhaps?" Before Lu Han could respond,a taunting voice interrupted. He clenched his fist tightly, turning towards the source of the voice.  "Kai," he gritted his teeth.

Byul Ri turned, puzzled at what made Lu Han so angry all of a sudden. A group of guys saunter towards the pair. All of them do not have a friendly look on their faces. Lu Han kept his gaze fixated on the middle guy, as they slowly approached.

"Well, well, aren't I surprised to see you here.Lu Han? " The black hair and slightly tanned man smirked. Lu Han sent this guy a piercing glare and fought back the urge to punch him straight in the face.

"Oh, are you friends? You are Kai,right? Nice to meet you! My name is Byul Ri." Byul Ri bowed, breaking the tension that hung between Lu Han and Kai.

"Friends? Hear that,guys?" Kai chuckled and took a glance at his friends' beamused faces.

Placing his hand on Lu Han's shoulder, he spoke in a flat tone, " We are much MORE than friends, aren't we?"

"Don't touch me," Lu Han swatted Kai's hand away. "Woah, chill. I am just trying to be nice. Are you trying to start a fight here?"  Kai gave a provoking smile.

"Do you want to try me?" Lu Han clenches his fist tighter than before. 

"FIRST YEARS GATHER!" A clear and crisp voice interrupted. Taking heed of the instruction, students standing at different locations begin to move towards the source of the voice.

"Well, that is an unpleasant interruption. We shall postpone our pending fight to the arena." Kai gave a menacing smile as he stretches his body.

"But, do not forget your position..." He paused. "..MONSTER."

Monster?

-Flashback-

Blood on my hands. BLOOD. Whose blood is that? 

Who?

He felt his hair on his neck stand, as  memories flooded his brain. He froze, what is this uncomfortable sensation? He was no longer standing infront of the gates with Byul Ri. He stood alone and saw his hand filled with blood. A girl was lying infront of him. Who is that? Has he killed someone? He took a step forward and everything went black. Pain seared through Lu Han's head, he knelt down on the ground grabbing his head. He felt an intense pain stabbing at his head and he couldn't breathe and see. Voices calling him a "Monster" echoed around the darkness.  "I..I am not a monster."

What was that? He couldn't feel anything except pain in his head. Someone... Please make the pain go away.

Wait, someone is calling my name. A familiar voice...

"LU HAN! LU HAN! What happened?"  Byul Ri yelled, concerned by Lu Han's peculiar actions. He suddenly knelt down on the floor clutching his head, and his pupils are dilated. He couldn't hear her voice, as though he is in a trance.

"What have you done?" She glared at the smiling face of Kai.

"Nothing. See you at the ceremony," Kai gave a satisfied grin before walking away with his group of friends.

What is wrong with these guys... Byul Ri wondered to herself. "But now, I shouldn't even be concerned about them."  She check back at Lu Han. He is shivering uncontrollably and gasping for breath.

"Lu Han??" She placed her hand of his quivering shoulders.

After a short while, he managed to squeeze out a few letters. "I...I am fine," and he grimaced in pain.

"Could you stand?" She supported Lu Han to stand up slowly.

"Yes, sorry about that. We have got to join others," He wiped his sweat of his brow, as he gradually calmed down.

The pair moved forward to join the rest of the students.  Near this duo, a student glared at Byul Ri with jealousy burning in her eyes. Unaware of this sudden envy of her, Byul Ri moved ahead together with Lu Han.

==========================================================================================================================

(At the ceremony)

Byul Ri glanced around the spacious hall. Warm lights illuminated the hall, she felt at ease and charged up at this sacred place. Lu Han told her, most students would only come in here once. No wonder, she is certainly impressed by the glamorous setting of the hall.  The hall is also filled up with excellent nature mana, she felt her hand glow with the sacred power. 

"I wonder, what is my power?"

The chattering of the students hushed at the appearance of an old man. Byul Ri noted an authoritative aura that surrounds him as he walked towards the white marbled platform in front of the students. The old man had flowing white hair and beard, donned in white robes and held a silver cane with a glittering ruby.

" Welcome to Celestial Elements High. Here is where you will train hard to be control of your own individual powers. Hopefully some of you will grow to become guardians of our world and the human world. As tradition dictates, you will have to showcase your powers to your future peers, teammates,schoolmates. In Celestial Elements, we believe knowing each others' strengths and powers will create a lasting appreciation and bond for each other." His dry, husky voice echoed across the spacious hall. " ...The student council should have briefed you on what to do when your name is called," With that, he steps off the platform and took a seat at the right side of the hall, together with the teachers.

"That's a really quick speech. For a moment, I thought he is going to ramble on. I guess he is tired of speaking the same things over and over for so many years," Lu Han whispered under his breath.

"Ahhh..Yes," Byul Ri answered nervously. "Whats wrong with you?" He tilted his head sideways to get a good look at her.

"I..just don't know what powers I have," she answered meekly, looking down at her hand once again. "and we are supoose to go up and showcase our powers," she sighed.

Is she the same as me?

"You.." he paused, the sight before flashed across his mind. The scene where she reabsorbed blood from her uniform.

She definitely have a high-level power, but it is not any of the 12 elements. I should worry about myself instead. What are they going to say when they know I have no powers? Get thrown into class E? This is the reason why I hated this school. Everyone is so preoccupied by powers. The good and the bad is sorted from class A to E. Class E students get shunned and looked down upon. And class A... is treated with many privileges. So ridiculous.

He snorted under his breath

" Don't worry, I don't know mine either.." He responded monotone. 

"Hmmmm, I can't sense anything from you. But, you do have power," She spoke with a faraway glance.

"What do you mean?" He looked at her in surprise.

==========================================================================================================================

(To Be continued)