Donghae

After the Day Ends

Donghae got back to the dorm pretty early than before. For the past couple months, he would usually be the last one to get back, but luckily today’s filming went smoothly. He didn’t make as much NGs as he would have in the past. He remembered of the time when he filmed the movie with s that he made the most NGs. Even his dongsaeng Kibum had to help him out with his lines. Even though it was tiring and embarrassing, he loved filming with the others because he could spend more time with them. They would still joke about how he made the most NGs while filming if the talks about the movie came up.

He walked in and all the lights. The first thing he saw was the empty living room. He wished that it wasn’t so bare like it is now. It used to be filled with some members on the floor just messing around, laughing and talking to each other half-. Before Ryeowook moved up to the 12th floor, Donghae was the youngest. They always said he was the spoiled one, performing aegyo with his hyungs to the point where it’s slightly awkward. It didn’t matter to him. As long as he could be with them, he’s fine with anything.

He walked into his room and plopped on the bed, covering his eyes, attempting to fall asleep. The feeling of loneliness came in since the whole floor was pretty quiet. It’s been a while since he roomed with someone in the dorms. The last person he roomed with was with Teukie hyung whom he treasured all his life. He remembers of multiple occasions when he would be annoying his hyung just to lie in his bed and sleep with him. It was times when he’s feeling lonely and just needed someone to hug. When Teukie hyung leaves, there will be no one he could cry to.

Donghae rolled to the side of his bed to get into a comfortable position. What caught his eyes were a couple framed pictures on the desk. Although he had the pictures for such a long time, he had never really looked at them carefully.

The first picture was when he was younger with his dad. His dad had his arm around Donghae’s shoulders as if to support him into a sitting position. Donghae stared at his father’s face, trying to remember every detail - the eyes, the gentle smile, his proud face. The next photos were various photos that he took during his trainee days. There were multiple ones with Yunho and the other DBSK members and some of him and the inactive/active Super Junior members. The last photo was the largest one of them all. It was a photo of the 13 Super Junior members backstage after their Super Show tour. There was a smile, big and small, on everyone’s faces. Each members’ eyes were shining a bit with happiness. He was crouching between Kibum and Hangeng, the two members that he missed the most during the past years. He looked at their faces, feeling the happiness that they were showing. Did they know that we won’t be seeing each other that often anymore? Not be together as one anymore? he thought.

He rolled back, closing his eyes, trying to fall asleep. Donghae sighed, feeling that he won’t be able to sleep anyway, decided to get up and take a shower. He walked out quietly, hearing the soft clanging and muffled footsteps in the kitchen. It’s Ryeowook he thought to himself. He was about to greet him when he saw the look on Ryeowook’s face. It was filled with sadness and he could see some tears forming around his eyes. Knowing his kind-hearted dongsaeng was reminiscing of the past, he didn’t know whether he should interrupt him from his thoughts. Deciding that he couldn’t stay in the hallway much longer anyway, he walked out and said Ryeowook’s name.

“Ah, Ryeowook!”  he said. He watched as Ryeowook looked up from mixing something.

He must have looked pretty tired, for Ryeowook exclaimed, “Oh Hyung! Did I wake you up?”

He shook his head, “I woke up on my own. I’m going to take a shower to refresh. Then maybe I’ll go to the other floor to see if Eunhyuk is back. If you want, we could go down together later.”

Ryeowook smiled and nodded, indicating that he agreed to go with him to the lower floor. Before walking back to his room for his change of clothes, Donghae turned back and said, “Save one for me too!”

He walked back into his room and just grabbed clothes and walked into the bathroom across him. Since it was just him and Ryeowook, he didn’t bother to hurry while taking his shower. As he showered, he remembered of how they used to time each other when they are in the showers. In the past, there was so many members and so little time to clean and go to the next schedule. They would shower and bathe at the same time, laughing and just talking as if there’s no one in the world but just them.

Now it doesn’t matter anymore. The whole floor soon will be empty with Teukie hyung gone. Donghae couldn’t help but feel even more emotional than before. He realized as they grow older, it’s harder to stay together as one since some are going off to enlistment and others are trying to keep the Super Junior name in the every growing Kpop world.

He finished his shower and started drying himself. When he was done, he looked into the bathroom mirror. He could see his frazzled hair all over the place. When was the last time I had a decent sleep? he asked himself.

Donghae walked out of the bathroom and headed straight for his room. Before entering, he peeked into the dining room to see if Ryeowook was done making the sandwiches. What he saw made him blink back the watery tears. 13 plates were all laid out on the table with many sandwiches neatly placed in the middle. His dongsaeng seated near the end of the table like it was in the past based on age, with eyes closed, was munching quietly on his sandwich. 

Instead of walking away to hide in his room, Donghae walked up quietly and hugged Ryeowook from the back. The surprised Ryeowook jumped and nearly choked on the sandwich he was chewing. “Hyung!”

Donghae laughed but didn’t let go, “Sarangheyo!” He bent and kissed Ryeowook lightly on his cheek and then smacked his back. “Don’t eat all the sandwiches to yourself! Let’s bring it to the other floor to eat with them!”

Ryeowook laughed and nodded, going back into the kitchen to get a wrap to cover the sandwiches. He was about to put the plates back into the cabinet when Donghae placed his hand on his should. Ryeowook looked at Donghae with a questioning look.

“Leave it,” Donghae said, “I want the memory of having 13 plates on the table to last a bit longer.”

With an understanding nod, Ryeowook put the sandwiches on the counter and walked back to his room to change to go to the other floor. Checking that his dongsaeng was gone, Donghae quickly ran into his room and grabbed one of the photos on his desk. He placed the photo in the middle and snapped a picture with his phone. Putting back the photo on his desk, he looked back at the picture that he just took. There, it features the photo of the 13 members, smiling, with 13 plates around them on the table.

A/N: Another chapter :D!!!! Sorry for the slow updates :( Have a combination of writer's block and being busy! Will try to update soon! Thank you for reading :)!