Chapter 1: Concentration, or Lack Thereof

Donghae's Tongue

“…Neon dasi malhae nabeeun nabbeun nabbeun… ha aniya stop!”

 

The dance leader cut the music, “Eunhyuk! You’re supposed to be the best dancer in this group what the hell is wrong with you today?”

 

I cringed. This had to be the 3rd time today I’d screwed up the dance. How could something so short be sooo difficult? But you have to understand, it really wasn’t my fault.

 

The thing about the practice rooms is that there are mirrors… everywhere. So if you want to avoid seeing something, or someone.. it’s pretty much impossible.

 

What was distracting me so much, you ask? Thad would be my completely oblivious friend Donghae. Fishy. East Sea. Hae. Whatever you want to call him. Lately I just been calling him distracting. You see, he does this thing when he’s concentrating really hard on something that consenquently makes it really hard for me to concentrate on anything.

 

It’s his tongue. That boy has the most unconscious hotness I’ve ever witnessed and it all culminates in that damn tongue when it peeks out the side of his mouth; his adorable, gorgeous, perfect mouth.

 

He doesn’t even know he does it I don’t think, which makes it all the more y uhh...I did not just think that...did I? Crap.  He does it when we’re playing video games, when he’s dancing, when he’s thinking especially hard. It’s like ALL THE TIME. And lately it been making me do seriously airheaded things…

 

Like today. We’re learning our dance for Bad Girl, which we have to perform on music bank in less than two weeks, but every time I catch a glimpse of Donghae I start doing the wrong part, or going the wrong direction. Arrgh what is wrong with me?

 

I’d gotten through the first chorus and the next verse, and had almost made it to my solo when it had caught my eye again.

 

It was the part where we did this super sensual hip swaying and I made the mistake of looking into the mirror, and there he was: tongue poking out the left side of his mouth, beads of sweat dripping down his neck into the hollow of his throat, and moving his hips back and forth. His gaze suddenly met mine and he grinned tongue still out.

 

My mind went completely blank.

 

And that’s when you came in and I was getting yelled at for missing my solo.

 

The others were staring at me with concerned looks on their faces. I looked determinately at my feet so as not to accidentally lock eyes with the cause of my screw up. No doubt he was sticking his tongue out, trying to figure out was wrong me just like everyone else. I wish I could just  do the dance with a blindfold on…

 

The day ended and we managed to complete the dance without me messing up much after that. The dance teacher did tell me to come in to practice alone though. Ha. If I was alone I could’ve got that dance down in half an hour.

 

I jumped in the van that was taking us home and closed my eyes. No more mirrors, no more Hae tongue…darkness... sooo nice… I thought to myself.

 

Just as I was about to drift off into a pleasant car nap, I felt a finger poking me in the back of the head. I tried to ignore it.

 

“Hyukkie!” Came Donghae’s whine. Oh brother. When I didn’t answer he poked me harder.

 

Finally I snapped my eyes open and turned around. “WAEE?!” I snapped. “I was trying to sleep.”

 

He stuck his tongue out like a petulant child. I stared at him. Great, now he does it on purpose too? I decided right then that Donghae was actually evil under the guise of the cute and fluffy innocence he seemed to sport. Did he know what he was doing? Gyah…

 

He waved his hand in front of my face, “Anyeong? Earth to Lee Hyukjae! Why are you so distracted today?” he asked leaning closer to my face, “Is it a giiirl?”

 

I pulled my head back in shock, “Mwo? No! When would I meet a girl?”

 

Donghae looked relieved, “Well you just keep spacing out with this dorky look on your face like you’re thinking about something really great.”

 

Think fast Hyukjae… “I…I..Ice cream!” I stuttered. “It was really hot in the studio and I haven’t eaten much today so I was hungry for ice cream. Mmmm…” I patted my belly and nodded.

 

“Oooh, well in that case…” Donghae pushed himself over the middle row of seats and stuck his head through the front two to talk to the driver, to many groans from the members of either side of him.

 

Siwon pulled him back into the back seat, “Donghae-ya! Sit down and put your seat belt on or we’ll get in a car accident and you’ll be the one flying through the windshield.”

 

Donghae settle back into his spot and five minutes later the van pulled over.

 

“We’re not home yet though…” I said, confused, as Donghae began to climb out from the backseat.

 

 

“You said you wanted ice cream right?” Donghae grinned cheekily at me and pulled me out of the car leaving the rest to stare incredulously after us.