Are We More or Are We Less?

It's Not Like I Want You.

 

-Amber

I could tell that Krystal had been crying, even as she faked a luminous smile. “Do you wanna go shopping or something?” She said, bouncing into my room.

I had literally just woken up, so I was slightly disoriented. What I wanted to say was, ‘I thought Minho had you on lock-down?’. But she was fully dressed and she looked as innocent as a little kid, and I suddenly became unable to resist her. “Um, sure?” I said, sounding more like I was asking a question.

She smiled brighter, clasping her hands together. “Yay!” She walked up to me, taking both of my hands in hers. I blushed as she looked deeply into my eyes. “You know what? Let’s just spend the rest of the day together. Okay?”

“U-u-uh, what about Luna and Victoria? Or your sister?” Or Minho, your boyfriend?

“They can entertain themselves.” She said, laughing a little bit. “Let’s just have fun. Like, just me and you.”

How the hell could I argue with that?

So we did have fun. We started the day at the beach, I taught her all I learned from my little surf lesson, and we swam against the waves together. After that we dried off and went for a walk on the boardwalk, stopping at a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant for some hot dogs and French fries (which were heavenly. I don’t even normally like hot dogs, but DANG it was good!). We walked so far down the boardwalk that we reached the end, and once we were there we decided to get some ice cream and sit.

We were on a bench facing the ocean, eating our ice cream contently, when Krystal said, “I’m really happy.” And she looked it to – her skin was glowing in a way that I haven’t seen in quite a while. She was smiling and it reached her brown eyes. She looked beautiful.

I giggled. “Krys, you have some ice cream right here.” I motioned to the smear of strawberry ice cream across her cheek.

“Where?” She said, rubbing her cheek. She only smeared it more, and I laughed at her. She narrowed her eyes at me, looking slightly mischievous. “You have some on your face too.”

“Really? Where?”

“Right there!” She dabbed her ice cream on my face, causing it to smear all over my cheeks and nose. She was laughing so hard that I couldn’t find any will to get angry with her.

“I’m gonna get you for that one!” I said. And then I started chasing her.

We were running on the beach like kids, laughing so hard that our stomachs hurt. It was perfect.

Eventually, we calmed down. We laid in the sand, side by side, and everything felt incredibly right. I could have flown in that moment, I felt weightless and just so happy.

“Amber.” Krystal said, looking up at the darkening sky. It must have been at least five o’clock. Where had the time gone?

“Mmm?” I answered, my eyes closed. This was relaxation.

Krystal curled into my side, catching me by surprise. I gasped lightly as she whispered into my ear. “I love hanging out like this.”

I felt frozen in place, but at the same time, my body was overheating.

“Me too.” I just barely was able to say those words.

There was a small silence.

“What happened, Amber? We were inseparable. I just don’t get it.” Krystal sounded like she wanted to cry.

“I- I don’t really know. We didn’t really talk this summer. It seemed like you were always busy.”

“Or like I was busy when you weren’t, and you were busy when I wasn’t.”

“Yeah.”

Krystal sighed. “I’m sorry.” She leaned in even closer to me, her arm now wrapped around my waist. I gulped.

“You didn’t do anything.”

We laid in silence again. “You know what?” Krystal said finally.

“What?”

“You’ve still got some ice cream on your face.” She shifted her weight onto her elbows, so that she was hovering right above me.

“…Can you get it for me…?”

“Yup.” She smirked, and I could tell she was up to no good. “It’s right…”

She leaned in close to my face. Our noses were almost touching. I think I stopped breathing.

She kissed me on my nose, sweetly, slowly. I almost died.

“There.” She said, her lips once.

And then, like it was nothing, she stole the cap off my head and ran away. “Better come get me!” She said, running off into the sunset, her hair and clothes billowing in the breeze.

I would have moved right away, but I was too busy basking in the immense amount of joy one little kiss brought to me. It was remarkable.

But why did she do that?

_

-Minho

“I told you we had a reservation at two o’clock. I was waiting for three hours! I thought something had happened to you!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, outraged.

“What the hell are you even doing in my room?” Krystal said, going into her ice-princess mode.

I didn’t even bother to answer that question. “Krystal! I was there for three hours, and then I see you walking hand in hand with Amber? What the hell is that about?”

She looked offended. “Amber is my friend.”

“Friend my . I see the way she looks at you. She has feelings for you, Krystal, and it’s best not to drag them out of her and lead her on. You’re with me.”

“You’re unbelievable.” She said, shaking her head. She started walking away from me but I grabbed her wrist and jerked her back towards me.

“What the hell, Minho! What is wrong with you!? So what I forgot about the stupid lunch reservation! I didn’t even ask for it!”

“I was just trying to do something nice for my girlfriend before-“ I stopped and swallowed my words.

“Before what?”

I sighed, frustrated. I took Krystal’s face into my hands and I really looked into her eyes. They were innocent, and slightly deceiving. “I just want to spend a lot of time with you.”

Krystal rolled her eyes, snatching herself away from me. “We spent the whole summer together. What if I want to do what I want to do? You’re smothering me, Minho.”

I didn’t know she felt that way. But I wish I had known, so that I wouldn’t have to feel the wretchedness of my heart breaking.

She continued. “On top of that, you invited your friends here and you hang out with them, but you expect me to cling to your side and focus only on you?”

I just want everyone I love to be by my side until I leave.

“And then you expect me to give it up to you every night.” That one stung deeply. “Well, don’t expect it tonight. In fact, stay in your own room tonight. I’m not interested in pleasing you right now – not that I ever was.” She covered after that last bit, probably shocked at her own words.

I was shocked too. All this time, I thought we were on the same board. And the realization that we were on separate pages made me break. I was sad and depressed and confused, but above all, I was furious. “You know, sometimes you can be such a huge .”

She laughed bitterly, opening her door to show me the way out. “Tell me something I don’t know.”



 

 

So the hurricane is here, but I got lucky! I still have power and my neighborhood is in tact. 

Theres still a possibility of power outages, so I'll keep writing and updating as I can.

Comments anyone? It would make my day (:

P.s. Since so many of you want Jessber, its coming up hehe ;D