Beach Housing

It's Not Like I Want You.

 

 

I hate Krystal. I hate Krystal. I hate Krystal.          

Well, I’m trying to.

Liking someone who has a boyfriend is harder than you’d think, and I’ve liked Krystal for quite some time now. And then Minho just swooped on in. Once they became a couple, I’d lost all of my chances to take Krystal for myself. And I just might never get another chance.

I’ve been reciting the words: “I hate Krystal” in my mind the whole ride to the beach, which was approximately two hours, not including all of the bathroom breaks we made at the whim of Luna’s weak bladder.

I was sitting in the very back seat of Jessica Jung’s Range Rover, sandwiched between the window and excess baggage (thanks to The Jung Sister’s need to bring all of their possessions wherever they go). I could see everyone from back here; Luna and Victoria were in the row of seats in front of me, singing every song that came on the radio full-heartedly with modified dancing, Jessica was driving and trying not to roll her eyes at Luna and Victoria, Yuri, Jessica’s friend, sat in the passenger’s seat, calmly reading magazines.

I didn’t really care about all of that, though. I couldn’t stop looking at Krystal, who was cuddled up next to Minho the entire time. I didn’t even know why he was in the car with us; Krystal’s parents had barely let her bring more than one friend. How come he got to come when the rest of us had to actually beg for this? I hate him. And I mean that. But I’m trying not to.

I keep telling myself that having fun is the main priority, that everything else – all the teen-romance-love-crap  – is second hand to vacation. But then, my mind keeps telling me to shut up and fantasize about Krystal in a teeny little bikini. Damn Hormones.

“We’re here!” Jessica said while she drove the car down a private driveway. Everyone erupted in screeching and ‘Finally!’s, and although I said nothing, I felt exactly the same way. I thought I would go crazy if I had to sit through another hour of watching Minho and Krystal hold hands in a thousand different ways.

We all hopped out of the car (except for Luna, who actually fell out of the car) once it was in park. And then we marveled together at the fantasia that was Tiffany Hwang’s beach house.

It was like a classy hotel on the coast of some Hollywood beach, but better. I swear the pathway to the front door was paved with gold. “Welcome!” Tiffany Hwang shuffled out of her house and straight into the arms of her friends, Jessica and Yuri. “I’m so glad you all could make it!” Her long dark brown hair blew in the beach breeze and her eyes smiled on their own. She really did look ecstatic.

“I have rooms for all of yo-“ Her smiling eyes landed on Minho and she became confused – obviously unaware that he was coming along. “I didn’t know you would bring a boy, Jess.”

“I didn’t. That’s my sister’s little friend, or, whatever.” Jessica said dismissively. Minho waved awkwardly, standing behind Krystal like he could be seen. He was way too tall for that.

“Oh, and those are my sister’s friends I guess.” Jessica rolled her eyes.

Victoria, Luna and I waved and said ‘Hi’.

After an extremely short moment of pure awkwardness we were escorted into the house, where we used an elevator as Tiffany gave us a tour of the place. Krystal and Minho were still holding hands. It bothered the heck out of me, so much so that I barely even listened to what Tiffany was saying, or where she brought us.

Eventually I ended up in my very own guest bedroom. The room was large, with an oval shaped bed and hardwood floors. It was coral-pink and decorated with cheesy beach pictures. I hated that, though. The bathroom had a hot tub, which I planned on using as soon as possible. Through sliding glass doors was a balcony, and I went out onto it. It turns out that the balcony connects to other rooms, and guess who just so happened to be neighboring with me? None other than Krystal Jung.

Krystal was resting on the railing of the balcony, and she sort of looked like some kind of goddess, the way the wind blew back her hair. She smiled at me once she saw me, and my heart kind of skipped a bit. “Hey.” She said.

I nodded in acknowledgement, but I wasn’t looking at her. I was looking out at the beach, which was directly behind Tiffany’s house. It was glorious; exactly how I remembered it when I was a kid. The sand was virtually smooth, blending perfectly into the lapping waves of the blue ocean. Little kids built sandcastles, couples strolled along the sand, and there was swimming and tanning and relaxation. They all looked so happy. Somehow, I felt so far away from all of it.

“You must really want to get down there, huh?” Krystal said, her voice pulling me back to here and now.

“Yeah. I do.”

“Me too. I don’t want to get too tan, but there’s something about it. Something, magical.”

I looked at her, slightly shocked to hear her say that.

She shook her head. I could tell that she was embarrassed. “Sorry, I don’t know what I’m saying. Anyways, I just really want to have fun. I feel like we haven’t been as close as we usually are, you know? I don’t know what happened. I’m always with you.”

When you’re not with Minho. I thought. “I know. It’s crazy.” I said.

“Well hopefully we’ll catch up.”

“Yeah.”

She smiled then, but it was a sad sort of smile. She went back into her room, leaving me all alone. Maybe I’m better this way. Maybe I don’t need her.

The only problem is, she’s my best friend. And I want her.



 

A short intro, but more to come. Sorry for the SUPER LONG wait. But thanks to all who subbed. Seriously I love you all *kisses.kisses for everyone*