five

counting pulses

"And don't forget my headphones tomorrow, you know I'll die if you break them!" A tall boy shouted from the hallway, seconds after the Thursday morning Psychology class was dismissed.

"Well, that's what happens when you trust me with these things." A certain Lee Sungyeol retorted with a smirk.

The other seemed to be on the verge of pulling his long locks out of his head. "Ugh! One day, I swear I'm going to pop a vein because of you!" 

"Sure you are. Bye Jungshin!" Sungyeol smiled bright and shooed him away with a single hand movement.

The boy quickly pulled his phone out and started adding some things to his planner -- he couldn't live without it (well, that and coffee) -- as he got up to leave the classroom. After pulling his bag onto his shoulder, he made his way towards the door, completely focused on the small device in his hands. Suddenly, he remembered a question he had during the lecture and spun around wildly, "Oh, Professor, I--"

In that moment, Sungyeol collided with someone and that someone had had his books and sheets thrown to the floor due to the lanky boy's clumsy movement.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" He practically shouted in the other's face as he quickly lowered himself to the floor to gather his belongings. He continued to ramble on and on about how things like that always happened to him and how people should just never be within a metre's length of him. Even after the person he rammed into joined him on the floor and told him it was okay.

"--And, like, my mom always used to say that I should announce to everyone that I'm going to move but then I told her...Huh?" Sungyeol lifted his head to hand the fly away papers to their owner when recognition washed over his face. "Hey, I know you! You're in Sunggyu's band, right? Coma Beat?" He stood from his previous crouching postion and eyed the boy completely clad in black curiously.

"That's right." He smiled toothlessly. "Though, I don't believe I've had the pleasure..?"

"Oh, silly me!" Sungyeol jokingly exclaimed and held his hand out to the other. "I'm Lee Sungyeol, it's nice to meet you." He smiled, all gums and teeth.

"Kim Myungsoo. Likewise." The shorter of the two slipped his books into his other arm and firmly shook his hand. "You're a friend of Sunggyu's, I'm guessing?"

Sungyeol retracted his hand and nodded. "Uh-huh. Been stuck with him since middle school." He rolled his eyes.

Myungsoo laughed, a most pleasant sound, really. 

Sungyeol smiled at him again, but suddenly jolted when he looked at his phone. 

"! Listen, I'm gonna be late for fencing and I really have to go now, but it was great meeting you and everything." He bolted for the exit, but stopped at the door frame to say one last thing. "See ya, Kim Myungsoo!"

Said boy simply stared at the now empty doorway curiously.

>>>>>>>

Woohyun only ended up sleeping for another hour and a half and woke up a little more than worried for Sunggyu, who hadn't texted him at all the entire time.

When he stepped out of the dorm building, Woohyun realized that he was absolutely famished and decided to call Sunggyu up. He dialed his number, too lazy to look for it in his contacts, and squeezed his phone between his head and shoulder while he looked for his wallet in his bag. Sunggyu's lazy "hello?" came through after three rings.

"Hyung, it's me." Woohyun said flatly, slightly annoyed that Sunggyu seemed bothered by his phone call.

"I know." Woohyun waited for him to continue, but he didn't so he got to the point.

"Sunggyu, ditch your next class and go out with me." 

Sunggyu audibly scoffed. "No.

"Oh, come on, you don't even know where the class is." Woohyun rolled his eyes as finally found his wallet. 

"Yeah, I do..."  Sunggyu lied.

Now holding his phone in his left hand, Woohyun pleaded, "Please, Sunggyu, you know you want a nice, hot bowl of ramen...and me." He would've winked had the older been in front of him, but he thought better of it.

 "Lame.

Woohyun pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. "Sung--" 

"Come meet me." He cut him off.

The younger let out a sigh, relieved. "Where are you?"

"Look up.

Woohyun furrowed his brow, confused and did as he was told. He saw a boy with caramel-coloured hair waving at him from the campus gates. 

He snorted. "What is this, The Notebook?"

"Does this happen in The Notebook?"

"I don't know, I've never seen it." Woohyun admitted.

"Me neither." Sunggyu's melodic laughter was cut off as he hung up when Woohyun got close to him.

They smiled at eachother and quickly started walking towards their favourite ramen shop. Well, "shop" would be an overstatement, really. It was more of a hole in a wall in some weird alley. The pair had found it on one of their secret midnight strolls two springs ago. They'd been the only ones in there that night.

After a few minutes of maneuvering through streets with names they never really bothered to learn, they found their destination. The place didn't even have a sign, or let alone a name. Just big letters on one of the small windows indicating that they served ramen. And that was good enough for the two.

Woohyun held open the door for Sunggyu who smiled at him and headed towards their usual tiny booth in the almost empty shop. After he greeted and chatted with the owners as he usually did, Woohyun admired the walls to see if they'd added anything to them.

The first thing he noticed when they first walked into the small establishment was the fact that the walls were littered with photos and memorabilia of the same Japanese baseball team. Woohyun, of course, didn't know the team (neither he nor Sunggyu really cared about baseball), but he still liked to see the new additions.

He noticed a new signed ball in a glass case right on the counter top by the kitchen. The plaque read Watanabe Ryo.

He finally joined Sunggyu in their little corner and spoke to him quietly for a few minutes. Mainly about how they should watch The Notebook together and Sunggyu arguing that no, that's gay, Woohyun and Woohyun reminding him that Sunggyu, you are gay.

One of the owners, an older woman, brought them their bowls and told them to enjoy their meal. They both thanked her as she left them alone again. The pair both started slurping the noodles into their mouths immediately, Woohyun practically inhaling them. Other than the occasional groan of annoyance when soup was splashed onto their shirts, the two ate in silence.

Woohyun was the first to finish, unsurprisingly, and watched Sunggyu eat with his elbow on the table and hand propped under his chin.

"You're so creepy." The older said with a mouthful of noodles.

Woohyun pouted and Sunggyu swallowed then laughed loudly. Sunggyu's laughter always reminded Woohyun of the wind chimes he had at home, for some reason.

"Sunggyu, date me." He said suddenly.

"We are dating, idiot." The other snorted.

"Doesn't feel like it." Woohyun pouted even more, if that was even possible.

"You already don't like me anymore?" Sunggyu joked with a smirk.

Woohyun's hand left his chin and his eyes widened. "That's not what I meant!" He nearly shouted. "I mean...we just don't do a lot of coupley stuff, that's all."

"Oh." Sunggyu frowned then suddenly stood up. "I'll go pay." He walked to the counter as Woohyun started putting on his jacket.

Once outside, they started walking back towards campus together. Woohyun, who was visibly upset, walked a few steps ahead of Sunggyu with his hands in his pockets. Seeing this, Sunggyu sped up a bit and fished Woohyun's right hand out of his pocket. He looked to the older boy, surprised, and gave him a small smile, lacing their fingers together. He looked away again.

Sunggyu wouldn't have any of that, though. He pulled Woohyun towards an empty alleyway and hid them both behind a wall. 

"Uhhh, Sunggyu, what's wrong?" Woohyun eyed him strangely, but still didn't let go of his hand.

Sunggyu ignored him, and cupped his face with one hand and leaned down. He planted a light kiss, sweetly and slowly, on Woohyun's lips.

Within seconds he pulled away and looked into a blushing Woohyun's eyes. "You know I like you a lot, right?" Sunggyu asked.

"Uh-huh..." A dumbfounded Woohyun mumbled.

The caramel haired boy tugged his boyfriend back onto the street with a bright smile and red cheeks.

----------------------------------------

woogyu plot twist anyone? kekekeke

and can you tell I don't know anything about baseball? ryo watanabe is a pitcher for the hanshin tigers aka the only japanese baseball team I know OTL

any way I'm sorry I took forever to update, and I hope this sort of made up for lost time...but thank you always for reading, commenting and subscribing! <3

(ps: I've never watched the notebook either)