four

counting pulses

Howon was busily texting on his way out of the dorm's lobby when he heard someone pounding quickly down the stairs behind him. He turned around, half-scared, only to find a very stressed Sunggyu running towards him (or rather, the door). And out said door he went, not even sparing a hello for the younger. But, then he remembered after looking at his phone again. "Ah. It's Thursday.", he thought, smiling knowingly as he left the lobby as well.

In their tightly knit group, Thursdays were different for all of them. Sunggyu was a lost soul, Woohyun was Momma Kim, Sungjong woke up at 2:30pm (as he did every day), Sungyeol did whatever stray Lee Sungyeols did in ridiculously early morning classes. Howon, on the other hand, had long since chosen Thursday as his day off. His logic was that Thursday was truly the worst day of the week, even worse than Monday, because when it was Thursday you were so close yet so far from the weekend and by the time you got to Wednesday, you were so exhausted from working so hard for three days straight. So, this made Thursday the best day to relax.

Whatever, it all made sense in Howon's head.

Now he was getting closer to his mother's favourite bungeoppang stand at the corner of a street not far from one of the school buildings. She'd once told him it was there even when she went to university here so she got to know the vendor quite well.

"Ahhh, Lee Howon! How's your lovely mother doing?" The elderly woman asks in her usual caring voice while handing a half-dozen of bungeoppang to him.

"She's doing well! I'm actually going to see her now." He smiled, holding up the box she handed to him. "These are for her!" 

"Oh, what a sweet boy!" She laughed. They then both bowed as Howon handed her the money and bid eachother good bye.

After walking for about 10 minutes from the stand, he got to the bus stop he was looking for. In a matter of seconds, he could already see the bus rolling down the busy street. He was glad he wouldn't have to stand in this chilly fall weather for much longer.

The 25 minute bus ride went by quicker than usual. When he stepped off, Howon felt the bottom of the box to see if it was still warm. He bit the inside of his cheek when he noticed it was nearly cool and scurried up the steps up the vast building. The sound of his shoes' soles tapping against the concrete steps were the only thing heard.

He walked into the hospital and bowed at the pretty receptionist while taking off his beanie and made his way to the elevator.

When the boy made it to his mother's room he stood in front of the door, blowing his long, dark-brown bangs out of his eyes. He stared at the black 313D etched on the cream-coloured door and breathed in heavily. Gripping the handle, he slowly opened the door to be met with his mother's shouts.

"Howon-ah!" She beamed, pulling him into a hug. "I wasn't expecting you today!"

"Yeah, I know. Hyojin told me to tell you she's sorry she couldn't come see you." He replied, holding up the box with a knowing smirk, which made her laugh. "So, how are you feeling, mom?"

"Much better! Although, if I get home to find that dad hasn't been cleaning up, I'll probably end up here again for something worse than pneumonia!" The woman huffed.

"Wah, don't say that, mom, it's bad luck!" The boy scolded. He heard the woman in the bed across from his mother's shout her agreement.

"So, how about that bungeoppang, hmmm?" She asked, clearly trying to change the subject.

"Oh! Yeah, here." Howon opened up the box and showed her the golden-brown fish shaped treats. After she took her pick, she shooed him away to bring the rest to the others in the room so they wouldn't get mad about her not sharing.

Howon made small-talk with the older women in the room as he handed out the pastries, mostly asking about how they were feeling, what they'd been doing lately. Normal stuff.

He then reached the final person in the room. Jang Dongwoo. A lively, beautiful, young boy that was adored by every one he met who'd unfortunately been diagnosed with cancer. Thankfully, that year, he had won his battle and was now in the recovery process. Actually, he was nearly ready to go home, he just needed to regain his strength again. And he was already looking a lot better.

"Hoooooowonnieeeee!" Dongwoo smiled wide at the younger boy who simply shook his head, laughing. Howon held out the box to him and his eyes widened. "Wahhh, bungeoppang? I just ate though...Share with me?"

"Okay, if you want me to, hyung." He took half of the torn fish-like treat from the eldest and his lips. "How do you feel today? You look good."

"I feel good, too! I'm so excited to leave, I think I might actually pee on myself right now." Dongwoo was practically shaking for how excited he was.

"I definitely had to know that." The younger nodded sarcastically. 

"Hell yeah, you did." The other laughed his hilarious, booming laugh.

They chatted for a little longer before Howon had to get back to campus. When he got up to leave, Dongwoo called out to him, telling him to wait a bit.

"Howon-ah."

"Yeah, hyung?"

"Do I....do I look ugly with my hair this short?" He asked shyly, his hand subconsciously reaching for his head. "I don't think anyone will like me anymore if I look this ugly when I go back to them." Dongwoo frowned for the first time that day.

"Hell, if anybody stops liking you for that reason, then they're ing crazy." Howon answered, giving Dongwoo an intense stare. "And for the record, I think you look like a million bucks, no matter what. And I don't care how cheesy that sounded."

The older boy smiled sadly. "Ah, I dunno, Won-ah. I don't want them to see me looking like this."

Just then, something in the longer-haired boy's mind clicked. "Don't worry, hyung. I'll fix it." He announced as he bounded out of the room. "See you all on the  weekend!"

---------------------------------

ah! I was so excited to write this I couldn't wait for another day!

also, in case you didn't now hyojin is hoya's older sister's name, so I just borrowed it for a bit there~

and sorry to hoya's umma and dongwoo for making you sick wahhh >n<

as usual, thank you all so much for your lovely comments, you guys are the ones who keep me going! and of course thank you for reading and subscribing as well <3