DARA: The Way We Are

The Story of Us

 

“Good night, Dara?”

To me, your good night sounded more like a question. I looked at you and you were very red in the face. I wondered why, since you’re only like this when you’re drunk. And we haven’t been drinking at all! And another thing, I should be the one blushing like a freak right now. You suddenly became all touchy-feely with me just when I realized that I liked you. Was I discovered? No. Maybe you just think that we just got closer after the incident; much closer that we’re on a head-leaning-on-shoulder-level now. Yes, that must be it, I thought.

So I played it cool and did not let you notice how giddy I was. How much I willed the movie not to end just so you would continue whatever it was you were doing. But I was also aware of the fact that you have a girlfriend and that she might not be comfortable with you getting cozy with another girl. Even if that girl was just your close friend (who is secretly in love with you). So I said:

“Good night, Jobu.” to remind you that we are, much to my dismay, just friends. After you went downstairs, I let out a sigh of relief. I should get myself some sleep.

But after half an hour of tossing and turning on the mat, I still could not go to dreamland.  I hate to admit this but I am a little scared sleeping alone in the attic of your apartment. On some nights, Bom and Chaerin would also sleep over but tonight they were out partying with their other set of friends. I don’t have any other friends besides the three of you. I’m not complaining though. I was lucky to have you. There was a time that I had a larger group of friends. Well, that was before my ex-boyfriend-from-hell turned them against me. Now, that large group of friends is a large group of classmates I try not cross in the hallways of our school.

I wanted to ask you to stay and sleep with me. But how would that sound coming from a girl? I wish I were a boy. Then again, a boy asking another boy to sleep with him would be much less preferable. I opened my eyes. Sleep would come much later, so I just lied there, with my eyes wide open. Not that I could open my eyes that wide.

I remembered the first time we talked. It was during our very first chemistry lab class. The teacher instructed us to find lab partners and I just sat miserably on my stool. My plan was to wait for that odd number; that person in class who would not be able to pair up with anyone else. And then, I’ll make my move. Of course, all the girls scrambled for their BFFs or their clicks or whatever it was they called each other. I supposed I would have more luck finding a lab partner from among the boys. I was eyeing Jang Wooyoung. Like me, he was making no effort to find himself a partner. I don’t know much about him but he seemed to be the quiet type. Ah, whatever, I thought. I’m not really in a position to be picky. I stood up from my stool and was about to walk over to him when you tapped my shoulder.

“Hey, would you mind if we became lab partners?” you asked. I did not notice until then that you were sitting next to me.

“Um.. O-ok.” I stammered.

“Are you sure you don’t mind?” you inquired again as if I were the one at a disadvantage. You don’t know how much I had wanted to bow to you and exalt your awesomeness. I was saved!

My previous friends and I were not so friendly with each other just after the last day before the summer break. I have known since then that I would face these kinds of situations once school started again. And so I prepared myself emotionally and mentally, thinking that no one will be there to save me once those dreaded situations come true. But, unknowingly, you became my savior. And you have been saving my since then.

From then on, we became partners in every class. And it was not only for chemistry lab class. Every time I would need a partner for something, you were always willing to be paired up with me. One time, during homeroom, the teacher asked the class to form groups to discuss possible projects for the upcoming foundation week of the school. As usual, you asked me to be in your group. Bom and Chaerin were left out because they were six in their group of friends and the teacher instructed us to group into four. Looking back at it, that was when the four of us started forming our own group. I was really grateful for having you during those times.

Up until now, I am wondering why you asked me to be your partner on that fateful day. Was it because I looked pitiful? My delusional mind supposed that you must have some hidden feelings for me. Or maybe I was just reading too much into things again. I turned to my right side and hugged a big red pillow, imagining that it was you. It must be nice if I could hug you whenever I wanted.

Just then, the sliding door to the attic opened. The sliding door is made of glass so I should’ve known immediately the identity of anyone who will pass through it. But my back was turned to it so I did not see who was entering. I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep thinking that it might be the helper ahjumma, out in the wee hours of the morning to get something from the back of the attic. Aside from being the guestroom/ my room/ entertainment room, the attic also serves as storage for the excess food that would not fit in the refrigerator or the pantry. The helper ahjumma would sometimes come up here to get some stocks for cooking.

I heard the soft steps getting nearer. The ahjumma would have to pass by me to reach the food stacked at the far-end corner. But the steps stopped just when it was next to the mat. Maybe she’s looking for something, I thought. So I did not open my eyes and just remained motionless. Suddenly, I felt the mat sag a little at my left. This was not the helper ahjumma! My eyes snapped open in panic just when an arm coiled around my waist. The owner of that arm pulled me closer to him while his other arm crept under my right side. His chin was at my left shoulder and I could feel his cheek at the crook of my neck. Whoever this intruder was, he was warm and so I momentarily forgot that I was supposed to be struggling to break free from his hold. I regained my sanity when the person suddenly kissed my neck and prepared to attack him with all my might.

“Dara..” you said. It was you! I sagged in relief, only to stiffen again when I realized that you were the one hugging me, and a little while ago, the one who planted a kiss on my neck.

“What the hell Jiyong? What are you doing?” I asked while I tried to pry your arms from me. But you only tightened your grip, almost to the point of suffocating me.

“I can’t sleep..” I could almost hear the pout in your voice.

“What do you mean you can’t sleep? Try to sleep back in your room then!”

“Please Dara.. Just let me hug you for a while. We’re friends aren’t we?”

“Y-yes we’re friends. And friends don’t hug like this.” I calmly reasoned out. You must be somehow mentally incapacitated right now, so I gave my all in keeping my mind from melting due to your embrace. At least one of us should be sane at any given time.

“Yes, they do.” you protested childishly

“No, they don’t.”

“Yes, they do!”

“No, they don’t!”

“We’re hugging aren’t we?”

“W-well, yes.. but..”

You snorted triumphantly and said, “Ha, then I win! Friends do hug.”

I was about to object more but you nuzzled your nose to my hair as you pulled me closer to you.

“This is nice..” you murmured. “I should’ve held you like this a long, long time before..”

Oh what the heck , I surrender! I admitted to myself that what was happening was what I wanted all along. I held your arms and wind them tighter around my waist and snuggled closer to your warmth.

“Mmmm” was all I could say.

“Dara..”

“Mmm?”

“Dara, wake up.” it was your voice but it wasn’t making any sense. Why were you waking me up when we haven’t even slept yet?

“Dara wake up!” you lightly kicked my and I was immediately brought into consciousness.

“Jo-jobu! I did not notice you getting up..”

“What are you talking about? It’s already ten in the morning, I was awake since eight. I’ve been waiting for you to wake up so we could eat breakfast together. But you were not waking up and I’m starving… So please get up, now!”

I just sat there and stared at you in what possibly may be a dumb look on my face.

“Where did you sleep last night?” I asked.

“In my room, why?” you answered.

“N-nothing… I think I just had a nightmare. And you were in it!” I joked to avoid the looming awkwardness. I was able to sleep last night after all. And I even had a dream. I just could not remember anything about it.

“Whatever, come on. Let’s eat breakfast.”

You waited for me to go down the stairs before following closely behind. I blushed when I saw the helper ahjumma setting the food on the dining room table: Beef Ramyun. Our breakfast was another one of my favorites. We both settled down in our respective seats; you at the head of the table and me at the right hand side. You slurped down your Ramyun in minutes!

“You know, you could have woken me up earlier if you’re this hungry.” I said.

You shrugged your shoulders and said, “I know. But you looked so peaceful. And you were sighing. Plus you were my name.. Uh.. Jiyong.. Jiiii-yooooonggg. I could not bring myself to wake you up when you’re obviously having so much fun with me in your dreams.”

My mouth dropped to the floor, or at least that’s how it felt like. “Yah! You’re making that up!”

“I’m not.” you fished out your phone from your pocket and played a voice a recording. “I even recorded the whole thing.”

“Jiyong.. Jiyong….” the recording went.

“Omo!” I gasped. “To my defense I was not !”

You laughed (that cute laugh of yours) boisterously while pointing your index finger at me. I waited patiently for your laughter to run out. It was a good ten minutes before it finally calmed down to a snicker.

“That was funny. You’re funny. You should’ve seen the look on your face.” you said gasping for air.

I raised the left corner of my upper lip to give you an are-you-done-now-jerk?-look.

“Come here, Dara.” you extended your arm towards me. I ignored this, stood up and started for the stairs. I was about to ascend the first step when you suddenly hugged me from behind.

“Yah! Get off me, you erted jobu!” I squirmed.

“Please Dara.. Just let me hug you for a while. We’re friends aren’t we?”

“Y-yes we’re friends. And friends don’t hug like this!” I hissed, pretending to still be mad. But really, I don’t want you to ever let me go. I know, cheesy, but I’m not usually like this, I swear.

“Yes, they do.” you protested childishly

“No, they don’t.”

“Yes, they do!”

“No, they don’t!”

“We’re hugging aren’t we?”

“W-well, yes.. but..” I suddenly had a feeling that this happened before. Déjà vu.

You snorted triumphantly and said “Ha, then I win! Friends do hug.”

Then I remembered. It was my dream all over again!