A Week Later

Sometimes It Just Happens That Way

 

"Jinki wait a minute. Let me explain!" Taemin urged. She was trying to talk to Jinki through the door he had just slammed in her face. "Will you please let me explain."
 
"Why should I listen to you? Why should I even care?!" She could tell he was furious. 
 
"Well it's obviously bothering you...." 
 
There was silence on the other side. She heard him take in a deep breath and let it out slowly, trying to calm down. She could hear him walk toward the door and put his hand on the knob.
 
He opened the door slowly, looking down. She tried to take a step forward and saw him close the door slightly, so she stepped back again. "Look, I didn't mean to upset you. To upset any of you. I mean... you guys are the ones who pulled the prank in the first place knowing full well that I'm a...." She couldn't bring herself to say it. She had been hiding it for so long now, she didn't even admit to it sometimes. Doing it that way made it easier to push her feelings down. Her feelings for this man who she had known and lived with for the past 3 years. This man who thought it would be funny to lock her in a car with a different guy. This man who was obviously pissed that she had done what she did.
 
"Look, it didn't even go that far. I was just playing  with him a little. I thought it would be funny. So did you guys or else you wouldn't have done it. So what do you expect from me." She went on. "You know that I'm a girl. You know that I like you. And I know that you don't feel that way about me. So why have you been avoiding me lately?" She was so confused. She didn't want to get her hopes up to only have them come crashing down.
 
When Jinki had first realized that she was a girl, he would make fun of her for it when they were alone. He would always give her these knowing, mocking looks when other people were around. He knew that she liked him. And he knew that she knew he thought it was hilarious and ridiculous. That he didn't feel that way about her. At all. But he still liked to . To put his arms around her back and breathe on her neck. Pretending to the world that they had a leader/maknae relationship. That they were both guys. But in reality, he was just messing with her head. And in the car, when they would come home from whatever schedule they had had for the day, he would sit next to her in the back. He would push his thigh up against hers. Teasing her. Torturing her because he knew she couldn't do anything about it. And, honestly, she hadn't really minded. A part of her enjoyed his jerk side. 
 
But right now she was getting frustrated. He had been ignoring her all week, ever since that stupid car incident. Whenever he was around her he wouldn't even look at her. He hadn't been sitting next to her in the car, and when he was forced to, he would turn away and pretend to sleep or listen to his music. And like today, he hadn't talked to her unless it was necessary and had ignored her in the car. She had approached him a couple minutes ago after Key had gotten in the shower, since he was known for taking at least an hour in the bathroom. Minho was gone doing something else, and Jonghyun had passed out the minute they got home, so he wasn't waking up until morning.
 
"Look Taemin. You're reading too much into this. I just don't really have anything to say to you. Stop making it something more then it is."
She could tell that there was something wrong. But he put that wall up, so she wasn't going to learn what it was until he wanted her to.
 
"Fine. Will you just at least pretend to not be mad at me or whatever. And.... never mind."
 
She turned and walked off, grabbing her sunglasses and a hoodie and left the dorm, slamming the door on her way out.
 
//
 
Jinki just stood there in silence looking at the door Taemin had slammed. What the hell was wrong with him. He wasn't normally like this. He didn't realize he'd been standing there for so long until Key rounded the corner.
 
"Hey, you doing alright?" Key asked, clearly unaware of his band mates previous exchange.
 
"What? Oh ya, I'm fine. Just wondering what to eat."
 
Jinki walked into the kitchen and opened up the fridge. He wasn't really paying attention to anything and just grabbed the first thing he saw then walked back to his room, shutting the door.