Chapter 1: Flashback

"IF HE COMES BACK"

 


I can’t believe I’m getting into 3rd year again. But this time, it’s college. And one thing I still can’t believe, I was able to reach this level without him. I was able to pursue my studies even though he wasn’t here with me. I was able to make it through all the consequences in my life without a bestfriend beside me. I almost forgot the reason why we were not together now. But how can I? Each time I think of the happy moments in my life, it was the moment when he was still here. It was all of the moments with him that I felt unconditional happiness. And I expected him to be with me until I graduate from this course we both planned to take together when we reach college---Photography. I remember how we excel in the art class when we chose Photography as our elective. And how we took pictures of each other wherever we go. Now I wonder…was he keeping those shots or he just deleted it? I used to think of what he is doing right now. Is he also thinking of me? Our friendship? Our parting? Is he still missing me or does he even remember me? 2 years is way too long. Many things surely happened. Many people surely came into his life. Does he have a girlfriend now? I don’t know. What I know is…I was happy…really happy…almost in the pinnacle of happiness until that thing happened…

*****

(Flashback)

“You have to attend with your partners. It’s up to you who you want to have as your date for the coming graduation ball.” Said the teacher.


Ahnna’s POV


Why do we still need a partner for the grad ball? Anyway, I’m sure Onew’s gonna ask me to be his partner. Anyway, I’m his bestfriend and the closest girl to him here in school. But..

“Ahnna!” As I expected, he would call me immediately. He was just sitting beside me.

“Ya!”

“Be partner okay? Hahaha.” He said.

“Uhmm..I’m not so sure about that. I’m still thinking if I’m going to attend the ball.” I lied. What I’m really up to is to trick him. Or should I say, stay away from him just even for a day. Because..everytime I stay beside him and look at him..my heart beats faster. And I can’t explain why.

“Is that so, just tell me if you’d come. I’ll be your partner.”

| Bell rings | Dismissal time | Outside the school |

I’m alone again. Onew’s mom called him so he needs to go home immediately to fix something. And he didn’t bother to tell me what it is about. I was in the middle of my deep thoughts about him when…

“Ya! Ahnna.” It was Kevin. He was my classmate ever since I was in highschool. But I’m not really close to him. I guess because I’m always with Onew that I wasn’t able to hang-out with other guys except him.

“Oh, Kevin. Why?” I asked curiously. Why is he suddenly talking to me now. Hello?! The class is going to end and it’s almost graduation. Hahaha. Making friends at the last week of highschool?

“Uh-Uhmmm…Would you be my date for the grad ball?” Oh my. Am I hearing it right? Is he really asking me this thing?

“Huh??” I uttered.

“You and Jinki are just friends right? So..I think he won’t get mad if I ask you..” He was like begging and making himself look pathetic so I can’t say no.

“Oh..Okay. I’ll be your partner.” I smiled. And swear I’m unsure of my answer. If Onew knows about this, I don’t know what would his reaction be…

*****


Onew’s POV


I can’t tell Ahnna all of this yet. I know she’d get hurt. But when am I gonna tell her all this? Okay. I’ve made my decision. On the grad ball, I’ll tell her everything…

| School |

“Ahnna! Don’t forget about on Wednesday. I’ll pick you up at 5pm.” Kevin said. Ahnna just smiled. What is he talking about? I have no idea. And since when did he become close to Ahnna? Yesterday? When I wasn’t with her? Anyway, I should ask her about the ball so I could tell her everything there.

“Ahnna ya~” I said.

“Huh?”

“About the grad ball, I think you should go. And don’t worry I’ll be your partner.” I smiled at her.

“Uh-uhmm…” Why is she like this the past few days?

“Oh Jinki. I already asked Ahnna to be her date for the ball and she said yes.” He said in a nice way. I looked at Ahnna. She’s looking down. She can’t look straight to my eyes. I can’t believe she lied to me. But why does she need to do this. I know I’m just her bestfriend but it hurts. I won’t be able to tell her now or on the grad ball day..But when? Maybe on the graduation day…


Ahnna’s POV


“Oh, is that so? It’s alright.” Onew told Kevin. I lied. It hurts. I know he was hurt in a way because he was expecting to be my partner for the ball. But I can’t say no to Kevin now.

“No hard feelings man. I’ll take good care of her.” Kevin replied.

“No, no. It’s really alright. And I think it’s about time for her to find new guy friends. Hahaha.” Why is he saying this? And he said it was alright? I could feel he’s not. But what if he really is? What if he really doesn’t care who my partner is?

*****

| Graduation Ball |

“You look really really pretty Ahnna..” Kevin said.

“Thank you.” I blushed. And he looked handsome too. He’s like Onew when he smiles. It’s like you can insert coin in his eyes. Hahaha. I’m thinking about Onew again…

“Let’s go now.” We went inside his car and the driver drove us on the way to the hotel where the ball is being held. In less than 30 minutes, we were there. Good thing there’s no traffic.

“We’re here now. Keep smiling. Haha.” He said. I smiled back. We went to the entrance where we have to sign in the attendance sheet and for the photo booth. The freshmen photography elective students were the ones in-charge of it. Oh..I’m gonna miss this. We were the ones doing this before as officers of the photography club. But here we are now, the ones whose pictures are being taken because we’re about to graduate.

As we took the last pose in the photo booth, I glanced at the entrance door and here comes my bestfriend Onew. And who is he with? Oh, I remember her, Haneul,the muse in our section. I was still looking at him. And the moment he caught my eyes, I looked at another direction. He looked better than before wearing that long sleeves and tuxedo. And that girl, that pretty girl holding his arms, it should’ve been me! Now I’m regretting all of this. I should not be feeling this if I just accepted his offer to be my date tonight. I’m not used to it. And I can’t take it seeing him with a girl other than me. I’m trying hard not to cry but I think tears will fall any minute now.

“Ahnna..” Kevin called me.

“Huh?”

“Are you alright? Are you not feeling good? You look like you’re about to cry.” I know right. I’m really not feeling any way better because of what I saw.

“I’m okay. I think we have to go inside now.” I said. We passed by the entrance door where Onew and his date are standing, waiting for their turn at the photo booth. Is it just me feeling this? Or does he feel the same way seeing me with Kevin? But if he really wanted to be my date, he should’ve insisted. He knows deep in his heart that I won’t leave him or something. But he did not insist. In fact, he said he wants me to make friends with other guys. Oh my. It’s hurting me a lot now…

Onew’s POV  

She’s beautiful. More beautiful than before. Very far from the innocent girl I’ve met 3 years ago. She looks mature and elegant tonight. Ahnna…Ahnna… When am I gonna tell you everything? It’s getting nearer and nearer but you still have no idea about it.

That night ended without even a hi or hello from both of us. I wasn’t even able to dance with her. I was just looking at her…Staring at her the whole night…I wish I could turn back time…the time when I first met you. The time you asked what my name is. The time we became friends…the best of friends…so I could cherish and remember all the small details I had with you…but how could that be? In less than a month, we will not be together anymore…

*****

| Graduation Day |


Ahnna’s POV


“Congratulations graduates! Always remember that it is not the end of your school life. It is just the start. A start of more challenging moments. A start of happier moments. And more achievements. Say goodbye to highschool and let’s all face a journey waiting ahead of you! Congratulations!” That was the closing remarks of the principal. And we all applauded and throw our graduation caps up. That was a happy moment. At last! We’re turning college! And we can now take the course we want. The course we promised to take together---Photography! Hahaha.

| School Field |

“Ahnna ya!” He shouted.

“Ya!”

“Can we invite you for dinner? I mean..you and your parents. With my parents also.” Onew said.

“Wait..I’ll ask umma and appa.” I walked towards umma and appa to tell them about Onew’s invitation and they agreed without second thoughts. Anyway, they knew him since I knew him because he used to go to our house for projects that I’m the only one making. Yeah he’s there to give moral support. Just to say he helped in doing it. Hahaha.

“Okay they agreed. So where are we gonna eat?” I asked.

“Umma and appa already had a reservation for the six of us. Can we go now?”

“Okay…Umma! Appa! Let’s go.” We rode to their van on the way to this famous Italian restaurant.

| Italian Chef’s Restaurant |

Inside the restaurant, the adults are laughing and telling stories about anything under the sun. Yeah. It seems that that they know each other better than Onew and I know each other. We ordered everything we want and the Lee family even told us to add more because they are the ones paying for the bill later.

“I’m so glad this two graduated. I’m so proud of them! Hahaha.” Onew’s mom said followed by a chuckle.

“Yeah. Even if they do not have awards, I’m still proud of them.” Umma said. They all chuckled.

“Now I’m thinking where these two are going to study for college.” Appa added.

“Yeobo, Let the two think about that. I’m sure they will still enter the same school and course.” Umma said.

“Jinki, haven’t you told them about the~” Onew’s mom was about to say something but Onew did not let her finish.

“Umma! The food is here. We’ll talk about that later.” He said. It made me curious. It’s like he’s hiding something..avoiding something..

We finished eating but the adults were still not finish telling stories and laughing. It was like it’s their graduation not ours. Ughh.

“Are you sure you’re gonna pay for all of this? I think it would cost a really large amount because we ordered almost everything here.” Appa said. He chuckled.

“Oh. That’s alright. Besides, it’s our treat. More like of a goodbye celebration. Hahaha.” Onew’s appa said. Wait. Did I hear it right? A goodbye celebration? But for who?

“Oh yeah. As I said earlier, Onew haven’t told you about this?” Onew’s umma said.

“What is it auntie?” I asked curiously.

“Oh I’m right. He haven’t told you about it yet. I think he should br the one to tell all of you.” Auntie said. But what is it all about? I wanna know it! I’m getting more curious!

“Auntie, he’s in the washroom. You can tell it to us now.” I said.

“Oh, about that, our family is going to STATES for good. That’s why Jinki needs to fix something and I call him right away after class. That’s because he’s arranging some papers needed for the petition of his grandparents. We’re migrating so let’s call this a GOODBYE PARTY.” Onew’s mom said. I did not know what to do. My tears are going to burst anytime now.

“I’ll just go to the washroom.” What a stupid excuse. I did not go to the washroom. Instead, I went to the terrace at the upper portion of the restaurant. There are no other people there. Just me..just me…


Onew’s POV


I just went out of the washroom when I bumped Ahnna on my way out. Wait. Is she crying? I decided to go to where our parents are before talking to Ahnna.

“Auntie, where is Ahnna?” I pretended not seeing her just a minute ago.

“Jinki…she just knew about the petition..” Appa said. Oh . They shouldn’t have told her. I should be the one to tell her. Wait. Where is she now? At the terrace!

“Umma. Just stay here. I’ll just chill at the terrace.” I said.

“Okay son, it’s still early anyway. Do what you want.” Appa said. I ran up to the terrace of the restaurant to see if Ahnna was there. And she was…

“Ahnna…” She crying. Oh my, she’s crying.

“…”

“I’m sorry, I was supposed to tell you this~” But before I could continue…

“Onew ya…why did you not tell me earlier..you knew this even before graduation.. The day when you were late and you gave me this necklace…you knew it right then that you’re leaving right?” She asked.

“Y-yes…” She sobbed. And she cried harder. That was the first time I saw her cry this hard. Yeah. She used to cry whenever I trick or prank her. But this time, it was different. She was crying like someone important is gonna leave her for real..and that is true..and that is me…

“Y-you promised we’re gonna enter college together right..but that’s not gonna happen now..” She sobbed one more time. I couldn’t help what’s gonna happen. I couldn’t stop her from crying. I couldn’t~

“When are you leaving?” She sounded more calm now.

“In a week.” I said. I was also crying. I don’t know. But seeing her like this made me cry.

“Then don’t show up to me starting tomorrow..” She said eagerly.

“B-but why?” It was like I’m being tortured now. I want to be with her for the last week of my stay here in Seoul but she doesn’t want me to.

“Just do it. Let this night be the last. You’re not coming back anyway. Let’s not make ourselves too attached.” Too attached? Aren’t we too attached for the last 3 years we’ve been bestfriends?


Ahnna’s POV


I’m sorry Onew. I’m sorry for myself because I know it would be a lot different not having you by my side. I’m sorry because I’m not letting you see me after this night. I’m sorry..But I think it’s the only thing I could do to ease the pain. I don’t wanna add more pain from the moments I will have with you for the last 7 days of your stay. It would hurt me so much knowing that you’re still leaving me. And you’re not going back anymore.. You are my bestfriend..and I think it was wrong when people say that when you close your eyes and think of something you really want, you’ll fly…because everytime I think of you, I fall.

“Ahnna…” He said. I didn’t respond.

“Can you stay with me the whole night? Just you..and..me..” He said eagerly.

“Onew..”

“Please. I won’t show up starting tomorrow if you do it for me. Just stay..” And I can’t say no. We were still at the terrace. I rested in his arms and hugged him tight. Because I know I’ll never be able to do it again. If I could just kiss him without malice as a way of saying goodbye, I would. But that would be another painful memory for me..

Ring~ Onew’s phone rang.

“Umma. We’re leaving? Just a minute. We’ll come down. Okay.” It was obviously his mom. I think we’re going home now.

“Let’s go.” He held my hand really tight.

| Van |

Inside the van, all the adults are sitting on the seat behind the driver’s. I decided to stay on the end part and Onew sat in front of me there. I don’t want the adults to see my swollen eyes popped out because of crying that’s why. And they never see us from behind. They just continued with their anything under the sun conversation. While me and Onew, just looking at each other’s face like we’re memorizing it.

“We’re here.” The driver said. He stopped in front of our house. I think I’m going now. I was about to go out of the van when..

“Ahnna..Stay with me. I already told your parents.” I did not resist. I wanna stay with him a little more time.

We reached their house and his parents already went to their room. Onew was still holding my hand as we step upstairs to his room. I sat on his bed. That was my first time to come to his room because most of the time, he’s the one in my room. I was surprised and flattered to see our picture together on his side table. My tears fell again. He sat beside me. He handed me a scrapbook. A scrapbook he made himself since we were in first year. Written are the details of memories we had. Funny, happy, and sad memories. There were lots of pictures. His solo, my solo, us together. He gave it to me. I can’t help it but I cried harder.

“Ahnna..I’m sorry. I don’t want to see you crying.” I smiled at him even if tears are still falling. I hugged him and kissed him on the cheeks. That was the first time I did that. For me, a kiss is sacred. Even just a kiss on the cheek. He was shocked when I did that. He cupped my face using his hands and close his eyes. In just a glimpse, his lips were on mine. And that was my first. I know it was also his’. That kiss lasted for seconds, until I felt his lips moving on mine. Then we we’re gently making out. And again, that was my first. I wanted to resist but I couldn’t. I know he’s leaving but I still let him. When I opened my eyes, we were already lying on his bed, hugging, feeling safe in each other’s arms. I woke him up. It was midnight.

“I’ll take you home..” He said. I did not respond.

*****

The next thing in the morning, I bought another simcard. I have to change my number in order to avoid him. I know he would call. And I might die begging him not to leave me if that happens.

The day of his flight came. But I still do not have plans of saying goodbye. In other words, we did not have a proper way of parting. I just cried my heart out when mom told me that the plane already flew..to a distant. A very far place away from me. And I couldn’t do anything but just look at the scrapbook he gave me..

(End of Flashback)

“Ahnna ya!!!!!!!~” She shouted. She’s really loud.