Chapter 4: Surprised

"IF HE COMES BACK"

 


| Italian Chef’s Restaurant | 8:00 pm |

I am now sitting here on one side of the table without anyone beside me. Yina and her parents are on the other side facing me. It feels awkward even though I’m close to her parents because it seems like I was the visitor they were waiting for. Haha. Anyway, where is the guy we are waiting for? Where is Yina’s cousin? I thought he would arrive here earlier.

Just as I thought about that? Someone called Auntieand uncle from my behind.

“Imo (aunt)! Imobu (uncle)!” He shouted. Calling auntie and uncle’s attention.

“Oh my precious nephew! You look more handsome. Two years is really that much! You’ve changed a lot! Where is your umma and appa?” Auntie said as she stand up and approach that someone behind me. I don’t know but I couldn’t turn my head back. It seems like I had a stiff neck attack. Oh my.

“Imo, they headed to our house after we arrive here to fix things there. They told me let’s just have another dinner one of these days.”

Yina and uncle also stood up to accompany her cousin on the way to the table. The way I heard them, they really sound excited and seems like they missed each other so much.

“Namja oppaaaaaaaaaa!” She was excited to see him.

“Yina, you’re still the same short and skinny girl two years ago. Hahaha.” He commented.

“And you’re the same pale and chinky namja oppa two years ago. But you grew up a lot! What’s your height?” She asked.

“5’10. Hahaha.” He answered.

“Woah. 5’10 is enough. I’m only 5’1. Hahaha.”

“No need to say that. It’s obvious. You’re small. Hahaha.”

“Ya! You’re so mean! And what about my friend there? She’s smaller than me! What do you call her if I’m small? Hahaha.” She said. I know she was reffering to me. Silly. But I did not care to look on where she is and who she is talking to.

“It doesn’t matter if she’s small as long as she’s pretty. Hahaha.” He said. His voice.. his voice is familiar.

“Oh, let’s go there now. Our order will be there in a minute. And I almost forgot! I have my friend waiting there! Hahaha. I’ll introduce you to her.”

“Okay. Haha.” He said.

Now I could hear their footsteps walking towards where I am. Yina and her parents seated on the same seat where they were facing me. And the guy…

“Nephew, seat there beside her.” Auntie said.

“Okay imo.” He smiled.

“Uhmm. I think I should formally introduce my closest cousin to my closest friend now.” Yina started. The guy was sitting beside me but I haven’t glanced on his face yet. I can see him looking at me in my peripheral view but I’m sure he won’t see my face because my hair is slightly covering it.

“Namja oppa, this is Ahnna.” Yina said.

“Huh? What’s her name again?” He asked. I still did not look at him. Ughh. What’s happening to me?

“Ahnna. Kim Ahn Na.” She repeated. “And Ahnna, this is namja oppa, Jinki.” She added. When I heard the name Jinki, I swear.. My heart pounded faster. I slowly turned my head on my right side to see if my suspicion was right. Is he the Jinki I knew? My bestfriend? I looked at him straight face and he was looking straight to me too. My eyes got bigger in surprise because of what I see. It was him! Oh my it was really him!

“O..Onew…” I whispered to myself. I was shocked. Really.

“Annyeong. I’m Lee Jin Ki. Yina’s cousin.” He offered his hand as a sign of meeting me formally. Oh my gad. Why is he like this? It seems like he doesn’t even know me. Was two years really that long enough for him to forget me?

“I’m Kim Ahn Na. Nice to meet you.” I signalled a fake smile and I don’t care if he notices it. My heart is still pounding really hard and I could feel it. It I also feel mild pain on my chest.

 “Okay our order is here. YEY! Hahaha.” Yina uttered.

“Let’s eat now. Jinki I know it’s your favourite.” Auntie said.

We ate our orders while listening to auntie and uncle’s conversation with Onew. They were laughing out loud as Onew says silly things and experiences he had while on states. I never laughed this whole night as he tells his jokes and funny experiences. I don’t know but I just can’t. Knowing that he did not really recognized me. Did I change a lot? I don’t think so.

“I think we have to leave now. It’s getting late.” Uncle said.

“Oh wait. Yina, you have to come home with us. I haven’t seen you for almost 2 weeks already.” Auntie said.

“But umma, what about Ahnna? She be going home alone?”

“Uhmm..I could take her home if it’s okay with all of you.” Onew said. Everyone seemed surprised when he volunteered. And my heart is beating faster now.

“I think it’s okay with us. But are you really sure about that Jinki?” Uncle asked.

“Of course, anyway, I am totally a nice guy. Hahaha.” Conceited much huh?

“Ahnna, is it okay with you?” Yina asked.

“Oh..Uhmm..” What would I say? Ughh.

“Ya!” She yelled again.

“Okay. It’s fine with me.” This is totally awkward.

“Good.” Onew said.

“Okay let’s go now.” Uncle said.

We all headed our way in the parking lot where uncle and auntie’s car are parked.

“Ya! Namja oppa! Take care of her huh!?” She winked at him. Swear, I saw that.

Then after saying our goodbyes, they went home. And me? I was left here with Onew in the parking lot.

“Let’s go now.” He said. We took a cab on our way to my dorm and in less than 30 mins, we were there.

*****

| Dorm | 11 pm |

“Would you like to stay for a while and drink tea?” I asked. Hello? He took me here. Maybe I should be at least nice to offer him a drink.

“Sure.” He smiled. My heart did not stop beating fast after that.

After I made the tea for the two of us, I went to the living room where he is seated. Then, I gave him the tea. I seated on the other side facing him. He looked straight to me after a sip. I was nervous.

“Ahnna… did you miss me?” He said. I was shocked.