Prologue

"IF HE COMES BACK"

 

“What’s your name?” I asked while having this sweet smile etched on my face.

“Lee Jinki.” He said seriously without even smiling back. He’s so quiet, serious, shy, and aloof. He was wearing eyeglasses and his head always bowed that I couldn’t see his face all over.

“I’m…Kim Ahnna.” I said. I was still smiling, waiting for him to smile back. But he didn’t. Instead, he just looked at me straight like he’s saying, ‘I’m not interested making friends with you.’ But I was wrong. He stared for about 7 seconds then, he smiled. I melted like ice. I didn’t expect this guy to be that cute and good-looking in the front view. He looked like a little nerdy but he’s really cute. With that chinky small eyes behind that glasses, oh come on. 

That was my first day in highschool. Since I’m a new student in this co-ed Kam Shin High School, I told myself that I have to make friends with people. I remember people telling me I look snobby and unapproachable. This time, I have to look and act more friendly. I don’t want being alone later for the snack break.

*****

3RD YEAR HIGHSCHOOL (LAST YEAR IN HIGHSCHOOL)

“Ahnna!”  He shouted.

“Ya!”

“Why are you leaving? Didn’t I tell you to wait for me at the school gate?” He asked, feeling so disappointed with what I did.

“I’ve waited! Look what time is it! I’m gonna be late because of you jerk!”

“WAF! (What A Friend)”

“And you’re the one getting mad now after I’ve waited for you? I thought you’re not coming. You didn’t even texted me you’ll be late.”

“I’m just kidding. Hahaha. Why are you so serious baby? Do you have your period?” Then he laughed really hard. And I can’t deny the fact that I blushed. He’s calling me baby? Ohmygad.

“You stupid jerk! I’m gonna kill you if I catch you!” He started running. I chased him with my thick Algebra book ready to hit.

“Hahaha. I’m sorry I’m sorry. I was kidding. Hahaha. Don’t be mad Ahnna.” He smiled.

“Oh my!! What time is it? We’re late!!” We rushed to the classroom and in less than 2 minutes, we were there standing at the door. Adrenalin rush.

“I told you we’re gonna be late!”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know that that strict terror teacher would be our lecturer today.” He said.

“Oh, this is my first time not to attend English class do you know that?” I was really disappointed.

“Don’t worry I have an idea.” He smirked. Then he told me his plan.

*****

“Whaaaaaat? Are you freaking sure?” I blurted out.

“Of course. I don’t want you missing something about school stuffs because of me.” He said seriously. “Let’s do it now.” He continued. I just nodded.

He knocked at the front door of the room and I was standing at the other door. His plan? Haha. He told me to get inside the room when the teacher comes out to talk to him. And it worked! I’m inside the room now. Hahaha.

JINKI’S POV

“Yes?” The teacher said.

“Uhmm..uhh..Sir! I’m sick. I just went to school because I don’t wanna miss your class and lecture.” Am I doing the right thing? Haha. Anyway, if it’s for Ahnna, it’s okay.

“Okay you may come in.” Good thing this sir doesn’t even check the attendance. Ahnna won’t get caught. Hahaha.

*****

| SNACK BREAK |

“Ya!”

“Why?” He asked.

“Don’t ever do that again okay?”

“Hahaha. I won’t be late again. Promise.”

“And why are you late earlier? Did you woke up late?”

“No. I just needed to fix something.”

“And what is it?”

“Here.”

“What is it for?” He handed me a gift. A box with yellow ribbon. I wonder what’s inside.

“For our friendship.” He said.

“Huh??”  I was really clueless.

“Remember the day you asked my name? It’s the same date as today. I can’t believe we’re friends for 3 years now.” He smiled.

“…” I couldn’t say anything. I couldn’t believe he remembered that day. I know I have a good memory but I didn’t even remember that. Well, yeah, I know it was a September but I never knew it was on the 14th. Oh yes! I remember him giving me a gift last year.  It was a cute scarf. Just perfect for that winter season. And when I asked him what it is for, he just said, “Because you’re my friend…” Now I know and I’m sure that was also on the 14th of September. I feel guilty. I don’t even have a gift for him. And in the first place, I don’t even know our ’friendsary’. He was my first and closest friend in school and I never knew he cared and treasure that friendship that much. When I first saw him, I thought he was shy, serious, and aloof to girls like me. But when we started being together for snack break and dual activities, I was able to know the real him. He even told me about his fake eyeglasses and serious-attitude effect. He said it was just all props because he wanted people to think that he’s that nice. This dork, uhhh… He really is deceiving. But knowing him more inside and out makes me feel better. I even gave him a nickname when we were eating at the porridge and rice meal shop. He like tofu a lot and his pale complexion makes him look like one. That’s why I called him Onew. Hahaha.

“Ahnna ya..” I looked at him. “Are you that mesmerized by the cuteness of the box? You haven’t seen what’s inside yet. Hahaha. Open it.” He said.

“Okay.” I opened the box and do you know what’s inside? “Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Lee Jinki!!!!!!!!!!!!! Onew ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” It’s a frog.

“Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahha.”

“I haaaaaaaaaaaaate yoooooooooooooou!” I screamed.

“Hahaha. Sorry. I didn’t mean it.”

“…” The next thing I knew, I was crying. I hate reptiles especially frogs and snakes. What the hell came out of his mind to do this. I hate this kind of joke.

“Ahnna ya…sorry…”

“…”

“I was supposed to give you this.” I looked at what he was holding. It was a half of a heart-shaped necklace with my name engraved on it. And at its back, the word FRIEND.

“I have mine too.” He smiled. His was the other half of the necklace with his nickname—Onew, engraved on it and at the back, the word BEST.

“…” I still didn’t say a word.

“Ahnna..come on, I’m sorry. I’ll wear you this.” He went to my back and placed my hair on one side of my shoulder. Then, he wore me the necklace.

“Wear this to me Ahnna.” He gave me his necklace and I wore it to him.

“Thank you.” I said softly. I sobbed. He faced me.

“Ahnna, I’m sorry. Don’t cry. I said I didn’t mean it.”

“It’s not that…”

“Then why are you crying?” He asked curiously.

“It’s because..I feel touched at the same time guilty with what you did.”

“What did I do?”

“You…dork…you still don’t get it..” I sobbed.

“Get what?”

“Thank you for this..for the friendship…for everything..” I hugged him very tight. Really tight. “You’re really my best friend…” I sobbed once more. But this time, it was more because of happiness. Happiness I felt while in his arms. My bestfriend’s arms.