Library

Standing By You, Unfortunately

Meanwhile...

The managers had decided for the few days which their maknae had become absent, the boys were also allowed a relaxing escape of their desire. With their empty schedules, it was a perfect opportunity for the boys to fulfill their wishes; to do anything they absolutely wished to do.

But, however, on this scorching humid day, the boys were left no other choice but to repose in their dorms ... where they remained in their natural habitat.

"Ugh, god damn it Minho, can't you do me this one simple favor? I do everything for you, guys. I cook. I clean. Right now, I need this book. I can't audition for the role of Clyde without reading the actual detailed history of Clyde!" Key spoke most cunningly in hopes to get his dongsaeng's attention who was too busy ignoring the scene by leaning his attention towards the television set instead. 

Upon realizing he was still being ignored, Key made an angry pout and stomped in front of the T.V., causing the younger to sigh in defeat. Usually, he wouldn't have been stuck in a situation obeying Key's constant demands. That would be Jonghyun's job. But unfortunately for him today, Jonghyun had decided to leave him responsible while he drove far away from the dorm to visit his family. Wonderful.

"What do you want from me?"

"Simple. I need you to get me the biography of Bonnie and Clyde."

"Wait.. isn't that what the internet's for?" Minho furrowed his eyebrows. Key rolled his eyes at his dongsaeng's remark as he began to put his hands on his hips with impatience.

"Okay, I need this. I want to pass. Just get me the book."

"Why me? Why can't you do that yourself?" Minho frowned.

"From what I've heard, you're the only one around here with the library card. Besides, it's hot outside."

Minho stared at Key long and hard. There was no way he would rather give up and go outside in this deathly weather when he could stay inside in a comfortable dorm with a T.V. and an air conditioner. 

Promptly, Minho's face lit up as he thought of a new suggestion.

"Ah, maybe Jinki can take you." Minho pointed at Jinki who was too busy reading the news to mind them. Minho grinned as he gestured to Onew.

"Hey Jin-."

"Nope." Onew answered without any hesitation as he closed his laptop, stood up from his chair, and went straight towards his room, and slammed the door behind him without an answer. All of Minho's smile instantly vanished from his face as his last hope walked out the room.

Minho gazed at Key who beamed in triumph at his own victory over their dispute. Knowing that as well, Minho threw his head back in defeat and groaned.

.

 

"Oh, I see you're here Miss-" The librarian smiled and exclaimed with excitement with the sight of the young woman. Instead, the girl returned her greeting with a cautioning glare. The librarian grimaced upon the realization of her own error and began to lower her voice down. "Ah, sorry. Would you like any recommendations this time? I might have just the book for you to read."

The girl shook her head and grinned as she continued to flip through a new stack of books displayed in the wooden shelves.

"No, thanks. I'm just looking around today since I'm going to have to leave early anyway."

"Oh, I see. Well, you're welcome here anytime, Miss Jung." The woman whispered her goodbye before returning back to work.

Krystal smiled at her librarian friend, giving her a small nod before continuing her current ongoing novel hunt. 

After she had escorted Sulli away that morning, Krystal figured it would be the perfect time to stop by the local library before practice while the girls were still sound asleep.

It wasn't the first time Krystal had visited this place. She went here, well, almost every morning of every week, or at least when she had some time to herself. Krystal deemed this very place her own little hideaway, and it was absolutely everything she wanted in one.

 

"E... F... G... Ah!"

Her eyes lit up once she found her book of interest and swiftly withdrew it from its shelf.

She swung her body around as she walked about searching for her little corner designated in the furthest section of the library.

 

Krystal called this spot her own perfect little hideaway. It was small.. but nice. In addition, the constantly calm atmosphere of the library eased her. Practically, only few people would actually stop by so early in the morning.

If anyone was around, however, she had no reason to mind that matter. Most would be too into their own little worlds to mind hers at all anyway.

That was what she loved so much about being surrounded by books. Once she would finally find a book to snuggle into her little corner with, it would be almost impossible to set it down. With just the flip of a page, she would be too lost in a whole different other world to recall her own whether she was reading about the adventures of a shrewd detective or of a survivor's journal during a particular catastrophic war, and she loved it.

Krystal often thought if only she could stay there forever; to spend all day in this placid haven of hers. She heaved a sigh to herself as she glanced at the time on the giant clock hung over the wall which continued to count down her minutes until her adieu ahead of her return to the regular routine.

But, of course, that was impossible as well. 

 

 

Minho's fingers lightly brushed pass the spines of every book he examined in the same shelf. Twice.

"How strange." He muttered, staring down at the stack with a puzzled frown. He was sure the librarian had informed him loud and clear that the book was still available and that it was located in this very section.

He couldn't recall why or how he had a library card either in the first place. Has it been a few years since he last stopped by? 

Minho lifted his eyebrows as he glanced around the place looking for nearby assistance. Wow, it's as deserted as the last time I came here.

"Everyone seems to be too busy these days." He assumed while wandering over to another section.

Minho heaved a long sigh as he checked the time on his watch.

Minho figured he might as well go back to the dorm. That would've been fine in most cases to walk home empty handed. Yet, he knew better than to break a promise, especially one made for Key. 

 

He remembered one time Jonghyun had told Key once that he'd buy him new designer shoes for his birthday just to excite him. French to be exact. Of course, Key couldn't refrain his excitement. He'd pester the guy with a thousand questions a.k.a reminders just to make sure he wouldn't forget.

And, once Jonghyun informed him that he changed his mind for another gift instead, Key's mood made a dramatic 360 degrees turn.. times 2. Gave him his especially noted 'silent treatment' for days. It just meant uncomfortable and endless stares of intimidation, but it was frightening enough for Jonghyun. So, he ended up taking Key to a shop in France during their tour to buy his gift on the spot three days earlier. So it's either get it now or double it.

 

While almost deciding to walk over to ask the information desk, Minho stopped in his tracks once he noticed something familiar. His eyes began to bulge the moment he found what he had been looking for since what felt like eternity.  

'The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde' ... in someone else's hands.  

Minho slumped his shoulders and grimaced in agony. Of course.

The girl seemed to be too focused on the book. It would make him appear discourteous to ask for it now, right? Perhaps he could wait.

Minho took a moment to observe the girl paying her full attention to the book in front of her. He smiled at how focused the person seemed to be. Her hoodie covered the sides of her face. She had a dainty figure that was noticeable even through her loose clothing. From curiosity, he took a slow step closer only for a peek behind the cloth covering her profile. 

Minho squinted his eyes.

Is that-

 

 

"Soojung?"

Krystal's body grew stiff, her eyes kept frozen and undaring to glimpse at the person in front of her. But, she was tempted. The voice was familiar to her.

She lifted her head and was immediately met with Minho's gaze. Her eyes nervously shifted around the room to avoid his as she quietly cringed to herself.

Oh, terrific..

 

 

Sulli breathed a sigh of relief as she stretched her limbs before happily jumping into bed in her comfy white t-shirt and shorts. Sulli bit her lip to refrain herself from smiling. At last, the day was over and she was now able to brush all her worries of making any fool of herself off her shoulders.  

I'm finally alone.

Sulli thought with a smile as she reached out for her phone on the night stand. She decided to take the opportunity to make up for the group's practice session she missed today. 

Fortunately, she had the previous dance practices recorded on her phone just for cases like this. Sulli simply believed that the more she reviewed her mistakes, the more likely she would be able to fix them and improve. There was no way she could miss a day without any sort of practice for the upcoming comeback.

"Ah, I'm already so behind." She winced as she studied the same move for the hundredth time in a row. The comeback was just in a few more months and she could barely attempt the moves without making at least one mistake.

It was why she looked up to Krystal so much, how she could perfect anything so easily while she herself struggled to do so. It was a wonder to her why Krystal worried so much about messing anything up when she was already so good at what she usually does  a hundred percent of the time. 

 

In the midst of her thoughts, Sulli widened her eyes in fright as the door across the room began to slam open. 

"TA-DAH. It's me!" Taemin exclaimed with a big grin while barging into the room in his red pajamas, one arm holding a giant bucket of popcorn while the other held a stuffed bear. He glanced around the room in awe. "Wah, I haven't been in the guest room for a long time. It's really changed."

Sulli gaped at Taemin with disbelief as she watched him turned off the light switch before picking up the remote to turn on the T.V .

"Hey you, you can't just barge in here in the middle of the night!" Sulli shouted in an urgency to get him out of the room. Taemin let out a little chuckle in response to her rebuke.

"What does it look like? I'm watching a movie. Hmm.. It's only 11, it's still early." He said while glimpsing at the time on the clock on top of the nightstand. Sulli scoffed at his remark.

"Only 11? You're crazy."

"Am I?" A mischievious smile spread across his face as he opened the DVD case in his hands. "Hey Sulli, don't you find it most exciting to watch scary movies at night?" 

"S-scary movie?" Sulli stuttered, scrunching up her eyebrows in fear at the mentioning of the subject. Words can't describe how she dreaded anything with the word 'scary' or 'horror' in it. 

Taemin chortled at her cute reaction before tossing the DVD case next to her. Sulli leaned over to examine the title of the movie which read..

"Monsters, Inc."

"Yeah, it was one of the scariest movie I ever watched when I was kid." He said, throwing her a puckish grin while she squinted her eyes at him in despise.

"Oh yeah you're real funny, aren't you?" 

Taemin laughed as he put the case and remote away on the nearest table.

"Ah, you mind moving over a little?" Taemin casually asked her, grabbing his stuffed teddy before flopping next to her in her bed. Sulli scowled at him.

"What do you think you're doing now? Get off." She murmured, attempting to get him off herself by lightly nudging him by the arm.

Taemin pouted as he kept his eyes on the movie.

"Aw, you can't expect me to sit on the floor, can't you?" He said, then shoved a handful of popcorn into his mouth before handing to her.

"Popcorn?" He offered, leaning next to her with a smile. Sulli rolled her eyes as she pushed him away from her and returned to studying the dance practice on her phone.

"No, thanks."

"You're not watching the movie?"

"No." She answered bluntly to which Taemin responded with a sneer.

"What are you doing anyway?"

Taemin quietly moved himself closer to her side to observe the video she was watching, then frowned to find out what it was.

"Don't do this now. Do that at home."

"How do you think I'm supposed to do that? I'm already behind because of this trip." Sulli grumbled.

He glared at her, then leaned closer to get a better look at the video. He took a second to study the moves and pursued his lips.

"You don't have to worry about this now. I'll help you with this when we get back home. Now, put it away and watch the movie with me." 

"I told you I don't want to watch i-"

Before she could even react, Taemin snatched the phone away from her hands and stuck it under him. Sulli scoffed at his immaturity, then shot him a death glare to which he ignored with a grin.

"Give me my phone back." Sulli growled. He shrugged as he folded his arms across his chest.

"Sure. You can reach down there if you want it back." He gestured her to reach down under his end with a playful smirk. Sulli bit her bottom lip in annoyance and stood up only to have him hold her by the wrist and pull her back down next to him again. 

"Don't tell me you can't even bare watching a kid's movie." He lifted an eyebrow, questioning her. 

Giving up, Sulli sighed in defeat and crossed her arms.

"Fine." She grumbled to which he answered with a smug smile.

 

 

After a moment of silence, Taemin was the first to speak up to break the mini tension between them.

"My hyungs used to lock me in the dorm watching cartoons like this while they went out watching adult movies. They thought it was funny, treating me like a kid." Taemin chuckled. "Jokes on them though. I love cartoons."

"Ah.." Sulli let out a little snicker, imagining Taemin cracking up by himself in a room while the television screen played cartoons like Tom and Jerry.

"I remember coming home from school to be immediately greeted by the delicious scent of my mother's dumplings. We'd finish them within seconds before  gathering around the couch to watch this movie for the first time in the first year it came out." Taemin laughed as he reminisced about that day. "I couldn't sleep half the whole night."

"Why?" Sulli frowned and tilted her head.

"I was scared monsters would actually come out of my closet that night." A big smile escaped her lips with his answer.

"Really?"

"Mhm.Taesun couldn't stop teasing me for days."

He grinned.

"That's why I never stop watching them. No matter how old you are, you'd always feel like a kid again watching them anyway. Each one leading to a cherishable memory of my childhood. Back when I got my first room all to myself, when I made my first friends, and when I was reassured that I wasn't alone and everything was okay, because I could come home from school anytime and mom, dad, and Taesun would be there to greet me."

Sulli noticed his smile slowly vanishing and, for once, she felt bad for him because then, she realized how important this visit was for him. The trip served as a reason to see his family again and it was the first time she could've empathized with any one of his enigmatic feelings. 

Sulli was then brought back to reality as she felt Taemin snuggle his head onto her shoulders, yawning. Sulli's eyes widened, her blushing cheeks burning mad red from the sudden contact. 

"Yah.. get off me." Sulli muttered as she coyly tried to move him away.

"No, I'm comfortable." He answered bluntly with a cocky smile on his face. Sulli sighed knowing that he'd never change his mind anyway and continued to watch the movie.

 

".. Hey, Sulli?" He lifted his head to face her.

"What?"

"There's a second part to this movie coming out this summer. I want you to come watch it with me when it comes out."

Sulli stared at him in shock.

"Why? Can't you watch it with your members?"

"Don't act like you don't want to watch it." Taemin smirked.

"But-"

Before she could've given him any answer, Sulli turned her head around to find a sleeping Taemin on her shoulder with his eyes shut completely tight as he brought his stuffed bear closer to his chest.

"Hey wake up. You can't sleep here." Sulli whispered, yet she still received no answer. A corner of her lips couldn't help but lift itself into a small, timid smile at how pure and peaceful he looked asleep. Turning off the T.V., she rolled her eyes at the childish boy sleeping soundly on her shoulders and laughed.

Idiot. She thought, her eyelids slowly growing heavier and heavier by the second until she saw nothing but pitch black.

 

I open an eye to peek at her above me and chuckle to myself. She must've fallen asleep. Her head drooped down and gaped open, allowing  her soft snores to escape. 

To be quite frank, I'm still scared of monsters coming out of my closet at night. Wouldn't it be foolish of me to admit that to her myself? I'd lose all my masculinity within seconds. Yeah, I'm never telling her about this. 

I smile to myself.

Having Sulli by my side is surprisingly comforting. 

Well, I hope she'll be able to forgive me for the plans I have in store for us tomorrow. 

We're not going home just yet.


I'M BACK. My orginal intention was to add more Minstal moments for this chapter, but I realized that it'd be too long for you guys to read so I decided to split it into the next chapter. Please forgive me. Anyways, you , please leave some comments below. That would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance~ I've really missed all of you. ;A;