Surprise

Standing By You, Unfortunately

After Sulli took her night shower and changed into her white t-shirt and long pajama pants on, she smiled once the subtle feeling of relaxation swept through her as she opened the dorm's window to be met with a soft, cool breeze. 

Comfortable night suit on ... Check.

 

Sulli loved late nights.

Most of the time, at least, there were no practices, concerts, dancing, interviews, or meetings that she had to attend; or paparazzis and crowds of crazy fans that she would have to hide from. It was her only little, private time of comfort. This was her definition of paradise.

 

T.V. ...

Sulli switched the television set on with the swift click of a button, then tossed the remote to the side as she headed to the kitchen. Check!

Delectable food ...

Sulli threw open the refrigerator's door and grimaced once she was only greeted by Victoria's overflowing collection of rather distasteful looking tofu, not to mention her countless gallons of asparagus juice. Oh, yum.

Speaking of 'rather distasteful' things, Sulli thought of Taemin. It had been a week since they last met. 

She wondered how many of the constant interviews he had to deal with concerning their scandal and she felt guilty upon the acknowledgement that it was her fault for the most part. She had brought him into this whole mess after all. 

Once she had finally decided to settle with a bag of chips from the cabinets, Sulli was instantly interrupted by a clamorous knock from the living room which startled her immensely as she nearly dropped her meal from her arms. Shortly after the continuous knocking, a familiar voice hollered obnoxiously from outside the dorm.

"Are you girls home? It's me, Taemin!"

Crap. Sulli groaned. All she wanted was to be alone.

She tiptoed towards the refrigerator for a can of soda while being careful not to make any noise. Maybe if I'm quiet enough, he'll leave.

 

Tired from standing, Taemin began to lean against the door. 

"Hey, I know you're in there. I can hear laughter. It's either you have company or you're unusually laughing by yourself." He smirked.

 

Sulli winced in disgrace at her own idiocy. She had forgotten about the T.V. .

After waiting for more than a minute, Taemin began to grow a bit impatient. He blew a raspberry as he pulled his body away from the door.

"Fine then. I guess I'll take this.. delicious ... yummy ... tasty .... delicately barbequed pork belly with me."

Sulli perked an eyebrow at the sound of the word. Meat? She swallowed hard at the thought of meat, watering just thinking about it. It had been a while since Sulli had last gotten a taste of it. She was practically dying to have even just a bite. She groaned. Damn it, Sulli, refrain yourself!

With a mischievous look on his face, Taemin began to walk away from the dorm in slow motion. 

"What a shame." He exclaimed while looking back with a pout. "There's just so much-"

Just in time, Sulli slammed the door open, well, unwillingly, as her grumpy facial expression showed her displeasure at the childish visitor that is Taemin.

"... Pork belly? ..." Sulli murmured as she kept her eyes from continuously glancing at the bag of pork belly Taemin was holding. From the sound of her voice, Taemin's face lit up as he spun around to face her.

"Jinri-ah, it's been a while! Have you been doing fine without me?" He grinned and tilted his head.

"Yeah, whatever. Thanks for the dinner." Sulli gave him a quick smile as she reached her hands out to grab the bag of pork belly from Taemin's hand.

"Woah." Taemin looked at Sulli with utter bewilderment as he stumbled backwards, preventing her from reaching the bag from his grip. Sulli frowned.

"Yah, what the heck?"

"Did you think you were eating this alone?" Taemin snortled while Sulli's eyes began to widen.

"What?" Taemin snickered and patted her head.

"How cute. But, aren't you going to invite me in?" He chuckled delightfully as he casually walked inside the dorm. Why is it me? Why is it me? Sulli, giving up with Taemin's antics figuring that it was either this or another meal of tofu and asparagus juice, rolled her eyes and sighed as she closed the door behind her. 

 

"Where are the other members?"

Taemin frowned as he glanced around the dorm to find not even one of the f(x) members in sight, the T.V. being the only exciting source of energy in the whole room. 

"Them? They're out for the night." Sulli muttered as she searched through the cabinets for some rice bowls.

"Really?" Taemin gave her a huge grin as he joined her inside the kitchen, pouting at her cutely as he walked next to her by the counter.

"That's good. This just gives me more time alone with you." He smiled cheekily as he threw his arm around her shoulders. Feeling uncomfortable with the sudden skinship, Sulli jabbed him in the stomach with her elbow.

"Get off me." Sulli said in a timid voice. Taemin chuckled and rubbed his belly as he wandered over to the refrigerator.

"But, Sulli, don't you guys have anything else besides tofu and all that vegetable stuff? Ah.. is that why you were excited to see that I brought meat? How disappointing, I thought it was because you were so happy to see me." He pouted as he observed the contents inside the girls' refrigerator. Sulli gave him a slight laugh.

"That's funny. Why would you think that?" 

"Because I was happy to see Choi Jinri again.. I initially came to see you, just because I missed you so much. " He answered her bluntly as his lips twitched into a sheepish smile.

With those simple words, Sulli's cheeks flushed bright red. Here he goes again. There was no denying that Taemin had a way with words as cheesy as they could be or whether they were sincere or not; how it would never fail to make her redden so bashfully though she hate to admit. Sulli cleared , refusing to respond whatsoever. She really wished that he would stop.

"Hey, idiot, I have a question for you." Sulli spoke sternly without looking away from the countertop as she carefully proportioned their meals into seperate bowls. Taemin cocked his head to the side.

"Yeah?"

"Why have you been so good to me?" 

"Ha, when you've been treating me so terribly?" Taemin laughed, earning himself a cold stare from Sulli. "Mmm.. I told myself once that when I had the chance to date a girl, I would want her to be the happiest. You, why can't you even smile for me once? Why? You like bad guys better? I can if you want me to be." 

Taemin gave her a puckish smirk and wriggled his eyebrows. Sulli scoffed.

"Just go bring the dinner outside." Sulli's lips formed a small smile as she commanded him in a grim, but playful manner.

"Alright, princess." Taemin sneered at her playfully as he carried the bowls to the living room. 

 

The two sat next to each other on the couch silently. Only the constant clicking on the remote buttons were what kept the room alive, really. Taemin scrunched his eyebrows in frustration on his vacillating quest on whether which show to settle with. Sulli craned her neck back and groaned impatiently.

"Oh my god, just choose one already." Though Taemin completed ignored, his mouth remained gaping as he concentrated only on his channel surfing.

"Nope. Nope. Nope. Oh look, it's Kwanghee and Sunhwa! Let's watch We Got Married then." Taemin swung his feet excitedly as he turned up the volume on the TV. "I actually auditioned for this once."

"Oh really?" Sulli lifted her eyebrows with plain interest as she stuffed the spoon of rice into . He nodded.

"Mhm. They turned me down though. I joined since I wanted to experience more of dating. But, I guess I got more than I expected." Taemin chuckled, then pursued his lips."Yet, the thought of really joining still intrigues me. It's just a show, but what if my feelings for the girl could have grown or who she could have been. OH! What if they paired me up with Nana-noona!"

"It was because of the scandal that you couldn't join, right?" Sulli played with her spoon, feeling uneasy again. Taemin bit his bottom lip. He didn't want to upset her, but he proceeded to answer her, nodding slowly. 

At that moment, Sulli's phone began to vibrate. She quickly set her bowl down on the table before grabbing the phone out of her pocket. Her eyes lit up and her lips formed a huge smile as she read the caller's name. It was a text message from Jiyoung.

 

[Egg White] JINRI! JINRI! JINRI!

[You] JIYOUNG! It's been so long since I've last seen you.

[Egg White] Ah, I was wondering if we could meet up tomorrow. For coffee, maybe?

 

While observing their conversation over Sulli's shoulder, Taemin winced once a thought came upon his mind. 

"Oooh. Can't you meet up with her, like, next week or something?" 

His presence startled her, causing her to nearly jump off the couch. She had no idea that he had been reading their conversation.

"YAH! Who said you could read into my privacy. And.. why?" Sulli frowned. Feeling uneasy, Taemin cringed a smile as he cautiously slid towards the other side of the couch.

"Ah.. I forgot to tell you. Actually, my mom called me right after she read the news about us, so, I told her that I'm going to let her see you soon. Oh! We're going to Chungdam first thing in the morning tomorrow. I'm taking you there to meet my family. Surprise!" Taemin grinned coyly, waiting nervously for Sulli's reaction.

Sulli's eyes widened as she dropped her phone onto her lap, then squinted her eyes at him. "What did you just say?" 

 

Back at the club, the SHINee members slumped their bodies all over their seats. Excitement filled all around the building, except in the corner where the members sat. No one really felt alive or motivated to do anything after the massive amount of drinks they poured continuously down their throats. 

"Should we have invited Taemin?" Minho furrowed his eyebrows. Jonghyun slouched his head against his shoulder as he stared at his jug of beer on the table.

"What? Is he old enough yet?... Oh that's right, he's 21."

"God, no one cares. It's his problem for being away all the time." Key's voice slurred as he spoke and pounded his beer onto the table after finishing another round. 

"But, don't you guys find it weird?" Minho muttered.

"What?" Onew lifted an eyebrow.

"Taemin and Sulli. Don't you guys find it all too.. sudden?" 

"Yeah.. but I don't think it should be any of our business." Jonghyun pouted. Onew smirked as he raised his glass up.

"Anyway, let us cheer for the unexpected couple!" He shouted and pumped his fist up in the air.

The members snickered as they raised their glasses up as well.

"To Taemin and Jinri!"

 

"LEE TAEMIN, I AM GOING TO POUND YOU ONCE I GET A HOLD OF YOU."

Sulli screeched in fury as she chased Taemin around the living room. Taemin cringed as he looked back at Sulli. Geez, her eyes are practically flaming.

"It's not my fault that she asked. I can't say no to my mom. Besides, she's not too bad. Why are you making a big deal of this anyways?" Taemin attempted to reason with the enraged girl as he skidded quietly behind the TV. 

"YOU IDIOT, I CAN'T MEET YOUR FAMILY NOW. WE AREN'T EVEN REALLY DATING."  

Taemin stuck out his bottom lip and shrugged.

"So?" 

Becoming even more furious with each and every one of Taemin's response, Sulli just had it. Oh . Seeing the mad girl sprint after him, Taemin groaned before diving towards the ground as she fiercely tackled him down.

"Taemin, I am going to kill you." Sulli growled as she pinned his arms down on the ground.

"You always say that you will but you never do. Why don't you kill me now? No one's here." He lifted his eyebrows at her suggestively.

"I might actually."

He chuckled as he lifted his head up. 

"Get off. I might be tempted to kiss you." He smirked as he shifted his glance towards her lips.

"What?" Sulli knitted her eyebrows, perplexed. Right before she could react, Taemin gave Sulli a playful grin as he rolled her back against the floor so that he was now on top of her. Sulli tried to shrug him off of her, but his grip on her wrists were just too tight for her to pull off. 

Without further notice, Taemin's smile faltered as he leaned his head closer towards her.

Slowly, the gap between their lips began to close. Sulli's eyes widened, her cheeks blushing red as she stared at his lips that were coming closer.. and closer... 

 

Until a loud, familiar voice interrupted them.

"YO, SULLI. Can you open the door? Luna's pretty drunk. She won't stop singing. " Amber pounded her fist against the door with a drunk Luna singing NU ABO around her shoulders.

"Oh, Amber and Luna are here. I think I should probably leave now." Taemin exclaimed as he pushed himself off of Sulli who was still sitting in shock from the previous moment. He smiled as he crouched down in front of her.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow morning. See you then." He whispered to her gently, then patted her head before standing up to head towards the door.

 

Amber blinked in surprise as she was greeted by Taemin once the door opened.

"Hey, Taemin, I didn't know you were here." Amber grinned.

"Hi Amber, Luna. I just brought dinner for you guys. I think there are still some left. I'll leave now." Taemin smiled at them innocently before casually walking away, once again.

"Wait, Amber, was that Taemin. I don't know he just swerved passed us." Luna muttered before falling into a deep sleep.

 

Sulli sat criss-crossed on the couch, still utterly flushed from their prior interation. She groaned and let her body lazily fall to the side as she remembered their appointment tomorrow.

Oh my god. She grumbled as she stuffed the nearest pillow in her face.


Sorry about this chapter lmao. Anyways, you , please leave a comment below and thanks for reading. ^^