Chapter 9

Thief of Hearts

As the day of the Grand Ball was getting nearer, the students of Alice Academy were all getting excited regardless of their divisions. Even Yomi herself was being a bit cheerful these days. Inchou noticed her change of behaviour but he knew well not to ask her about it. Meanwhile, on the lawns of the Academy's gardens and also inside the greenhouses, flowers began to bloom as if the Academy was granted a second round of Spring. Their sweet fragrance spreaded throughout the entire Academy by the soft breeze.

The Grand Ball was obviously being the hot and trending topic among the students. They talked about it in the classrooms, in the corridors, in the library, on the lawns, in the gardens, in the dining hall and even in the dorms. 

"Ooh, what kind of hairstyle shall I wear?"

"I didn't have a date yet."

"I need to go to Central Town."

"O-kun asked me to go with him. I'm so excited!"

"I hope the dresses are pretty this year."

"I don't want any stupid costumes."

"M-chan wants to go to the Ball with me."

Yomi was all smiles when she saw Mikan tugging on Natsume's sleeve.

"Natsume," she begged. "Can you come to the Ball with me? Please? Please? Pleeeaaassseee~?"

WHACK!!!

"Ouch~ that hurts!" Mikan rubbed her sore forehead. Natsume shook her off.

"You don't have to beg," he said smugly as he watched Mikan crying."Stop that crying, it makes you ugly." His harsh remark made Mikan's cries louder than usual. "What I mean is," he wipes off her tears. "You don't have to beg because I'm going with you. End of story." Mikan's eyes lighted up and she stopped crying at once.

"Really?" Before Natsume could answer, Mikan grabbed his hands and spun him round and round like a merry-go-round. "Thanks Natsume. I love you so much~!"

"Hey, cut that out." Natsume screamed. "You're making me sick. Urgh!"

As Mikan and Natsume walked away, Yomi tapped Inchou on his shoulder. 

"Are those two always like that?"

 

(")(8_8)(")

 

 

Yomi was walking alone when a student from the High School Division blocked her path. He had a smug smile on his face and whenever Yomi tried to walk past him, he just stood in front of her.

"Move," she hissed. "I'm warning you." The student just smiled.

"Oh?" He folded his arms. "What's with the snobbish attitude?" Before Yomi could answer, he cut her off.

"You've been summoned to the Elementary School's Principal's office. Your presence is required. Immediately."

Yomi was speechless.

 

(")(8_8)(")

 

When they arrived at the office, the Principal was sitting at his desk with his back towards them.

"Principal Kuonji, she's here."

"Ah yes, thank you Goshima. You may leave now."

Goshima thanked Principal Kuonji and left Yomi alone with him. Yomi felt chills going down her spine. At the same time, the room was also getting colder.

"Being the shy one, arent you?" Principal Kuonji teased. "No wonder the room's getting colder. Please have a seat." Yomi was stunned when he mentioned about the room getting colder. How did he know? She wondered as she took her seat in front of his table. She tried her best to calm down and the room's temperature had gradually returned to normal.

"Why am I being summoned? Have I done anything wrong?"

Principal Kuonji just looked at her and smiled.

"No... Not really," he said. "It's just that I would like to know more about you."

Yomi said nothing as he fiddled with his fingers. There was a smirk on his face.

"Still speechless are you?," he leaned forward towards her. "I hate it when people ignore me." 

Then, Yomi stood up. "Sir, if there's nothing else, I would like to be on my way now." She her heel and began to walk towards the door. However, before she could even took hold the door knob, a man in a black suit suddenly appeared in front of her and grabbed her hand. She winced in pain as the man was tightening his grip. Principal Kuonji watched the drama unfold in front of him with a mean smirk on his face.

"Hey," she cried. "Let go of me. I said LET GO OF ME!" Suddenly, the man went unconscious and fell to the floor. Yomi reeled back in shock as her fingers became icy. Then, she heard the Principal clapped his hands with delight.

"Well done, Yomi! I never knew that you have so much potential."

Yomi wanted to leave but the fainted man blocked her exit. Instead, she backed towards the glass window.

"I didn't mean anything. It was an accident. Besides, he's the one who assaulted me in the first place."

Principal Kuonji's eyes lit up with malice. "Ah, but you do know what really happened. Right? That one particular evening with all the guys flopped like rags at your feet."

"What do you mean?" Yomi began to feel afraid and the room's temperature was dropping low.

"I know about your other two Alices, Yomi. They're quite special... and beneficial to me."

"Beneficial? How? Why?"

"That's a secret, Yomi." Principal Kuonji held out his hand. "Now, be a good girl and follow my instructions so that no one gets hurt." He was closing in on her and she has nowhere to go since her back was already leaning against the window. She can feel the coldness of the glass against the palms of her hands.

"You'll obey my command, Yomi. Unless you want to feel regret."

Yomi smiled. "Perhaps... Well, perhaps not." Her hands became icy and the window's glass shattered into pieces as she fell backwards. As she fell head-first, her hands shot out and touched the ground's surface seconds before she crash-landed on the cold hard ground. Miraculously, she survived despite a few minimal cuts and bruises but she was dizzy due to the impact. She looked up at the window and saw the Principal's vengeful facial expression. He was saying something but the words were blurry to her hearing. However, she did managed to read his lips and she went pale with horror.

"YOMI!!!"

A familiar voice screamed and everything went black.

("')($_$)("')