Chapter 1

Thief of Hearts

It was a calm and sunny morning in Alice Academy. The leaves of the cherry trees danced in the soft morning breeze. Dewdrops dotted the leaves and flowers and they glinted in the sunlight. Everything was perfectly normal. In the Elementary School Division, everything was perfectly normal as well. Even the ruckus in class 1B was considered normal to the teachers.

The students of Class 1B were minding their own business. Some of them were chatting with one another, some of them were playing games, some of them were reading comics and some of them were sleeping. The class president, Tobita Yuu (Inchou), was arranging some books on his desk when Narumi-sensei's voice echoed through the speakers.

"Tobita Yuu of Class 1B, please come to the teacher's office immediately."

Inchou's ears perked up when his name was summoned. Suddenly, the whole class fell silent as everyone stared at him as he was making his way towards the door. Then, whispers were beginning to arise.

"Inchou's been called."

"Ooh! He's busted!"

"He's not getting punished, right?"

"Maybe he's being promoted."

Inchou ignored all the whispers as he went outside the classroom and headed towards the teacher's office. He knocked twice before entering the office.

The office was empty except for a girl who was standing in front of the window. She was wearing the Academy's Elementary School uniform. Inchou noticed that she wore black velvet gloves trimmed with black lace.

"That's odd. I've never seen her before", he muttered under his breath. He stared at her. He couldn't see her face because she was standing with her back facing him. Her long, waist-length, black hair draped her like a curtain. Inchou wanted to call out to her but somehow his voice was stuck in his throat. As for the girl, she didn't say a word at all as she just stared at the window. Both of them stood in silence until the door creaked open and Narumi-sensei walked in. Narumi-sensei, whose always wear eccentric costumes during classes, was always in a jolly mood and he was in both of these now.

"Ah," he said. "Inchou-san, I see that you've already met Igarashi-san." He pointed at the girl. 

Despite that Narumi-sensei was already here, Yomi didn't even move at all. She didn't even flinch.

Inchou and Narumi-sensei exchanged confused glances. What was wrong with her?

Narumi-sensei walked up to Yomi and tapped her on her shoulder. She jumped and whirled around in shock, her long hair trailing behind her. Inchou blinked in awe as Yomi stood facing him. She pulled her earphones off and smiled sweetly. He noticed that she was a Three-Star rank just like himself.

"Oh dear, I'm very sorry. I didn't notice that you've already here."

Inchou ignored her apology because he was eyeing at her non-stop.

"Black waist-length hair, fair porcelain skin, crimson eyes and beautiful face... she's really beautiful. Her sweet smile is sweeter than Howalon candy. Even her voice is melodious like a symphony." he thought to himself. He could see stars glimmered around her. Suddenly, he felt something different inside him. He felt like there were butterflies in his stomach. "What is this peculiar feeling?" he questioned himself.

"It's okay, Igarashi-san. It's not your fault."

Narumi-sensei's voice snapped him back to the present.

"Igarashi-san, this is Tobita Yuu-san. You can call him Inchou. He's the class president of Class 1B and you will be in his class. Inchou-san, please take Igarashi-san to her class. I will join you shortly."

 

(")(^o^)(")

 

Inchou and Yomi were walking down the corridor towards Class 1B. Neither of them said anything. Inchou realised that there was a devastating silence hung between them. He needed to break the tension. 

"So, Igarashi-san. What's you're Alice?"

Silence...

"Where do you live?"

Silence...

"What are your interests?"

Silence...

"How old are you?"

Silence...

Before Inchou could ask anymore questions, Yomi stopped abruptly in her footsteps and Inchou followed suit. Suddenly, she whirled around and grabbed him by the collar. Inchou was surprised and confused with her sudden actions.

"Shut your mouth and listen to what I'm going to say, Prez!" she snapped.

Inchou was dumbfounded. Was this the same girl that he'd met in the office? The Yomi in the office was calm and polite but this Yomi was anything but. Her crimson eyes were burning and they looked bewildered and rebellious. Even her tone changed. Gone was her melodious voice and in its place was a demanding and haughty voice.

"I can't understand that you keep on blabbering out questions and interrogate me like I'm a criminal in CSI. Can't you wait until we're back in class. You're getting on my nerves."

"I'm sorry, Igarashi-san. I don't know that you aren't comfortable with my behaviour."

Yomi sighed and released him. Without looking at Inchou, she folded her arms and tapped her foot impatiently.

"You were told to take me to class. So, can we get there already? My patience is running thin."

Inchou nodded and smiled weakly. He walked past Yomi and showed her the way.

"Come, I'll take you there. The others must be waiting for a long time."

Yomi trailed behind him with a triumphant smile on her face.

"So, Inchou eh? Very sweet and innocent-looking. A good-boy type," she praised him silently. "I think that you're going to be quite interesting."

 

(")(*o*)(")