Chapter 7

Thief of Hearts

Later that night, Yomi was lying on her bed with her new hair clip in her hand. She gazed at it with a puzzled expression as her fingers were trailing along the silver detailing. Her bedside lamp made the detaling glow in golden hues.

"This is the hair clip that I saw in the accessories' shop back in Central Town," she thought to herself. "How did he manage to get the same hairclip?" She tossed the hair clip in the air and caught it again. "Perhaps he was spying on me... or perhaps not. Besides, he's got fine taste." Before Yomi could make any questions and presumptions, somebody knocked on her door. She quickly hid her hairclip inside her drawer and tiptoed her way to her door. "Who's at my door at this time of night?" She breathed out as her hand rested on the doorknob. She bit her trembling lip as she slowly turned it. The door was slightly opened and she peered into the darkness. At first, she could see nothing but then a crimson eye suddenly looked her in the face. She reeled backwards in shock as someone pushed through the door. The force from the unknown person was so strong that she fell on her back. Before she could get up, the attacker pinned her onto the floor. She wanted to scream but a cold hand clamped shut. She wanted to use her Alice but somehow, the attacker swiftly locked her hands with a steel grip on her wrists. Flashbacks of her previous attack were playing in her mind. She was going to faint when a familiar voice whispered in her ear.

"Don't do anything stupid. It's me."

Yomi's eyes flew open and she was staring straight into her attacker's crimson eyes. The dim light from her bedside table finally revealed her attacker's identity.

"Natsume?"

 

(")(o_o)(")

 

"That was a horrible stunt you've pulled out," Yomi spat out in disgust. "I almost died in fear, you know?"

They were sitting on the floor next to each other with their backs against the wall.

"I'm just checking on you," Natsume said calmly. "No need to get your fabulous hair in a bunch."

Yomi looked down at her hands. "I almost killed you if I'm out of control," she said slowly. "Don't you remember?"

Natsume looked at her and nodded. "Yeah, I'm sorry about that." He patted her shoulder. "Now," he cleared his throat. "I see that someone is having fun today."

"Yeah, you too Natsume."

Awkward silence.

"Hey Natsume," Yomi tugged on his shoulder. "Can I ask you about something?"

"What is it?"

"Do you remember our first meeting at the gazebo? You did say that I should stay away Elementary School Principal. Why?"

Natsume's shoulders stiffened and his crimson eyes were an eerie glow in the dim light. Yomi shifted uncomfortably. 

"Maybe I shouldn't ask about it," she stammered. She started to inch away from Natsume when he grabbed her by her arm.

"Wait," he said quietly. "Do you really want to know?"

Yomi nodded.

Natsume hesitated at first but he finally relented. He took a deep breath and began his story.

"When I was first admitted into the Academy, I was labelled as a dangerous threat because of an inferno incident back in my previous hometown. The incident forced me to come here. Then, the ESP forced me to go into missions. I didn't want to go because I didn't want to hurt anybody. But, I have to do it because the lives of my family and friends are on the line. In other words, I was the Academy's weapon for underground operations. During those times, I became cold and made myself numb to everything around me. I even distanced myself from people except for Ruka. I tried to distance myself from him but he refused to leave me alone. He knows what I've been through and he promised to me that he'll be my friend no matter what happens."

Natsume paused for a while and looked at Yomi.

"Would you mind giving me something to drink? My lips are parched from all the talking"

Yomi quickly got up, poured a glass of water and handed it to Natsume. After he drank his water, he resumed his story.

"It's been like that for a long time until Mikan came here. I hated her for her attitude and Narumi's decision for pairing me up with her made my blood boil at that time. However, she changed me as she brightened up my life. She even rescued me when I was kidnapped at one time. Then, I finally realized that I loved her. But that has made the stakes higher than ever as the ESP threatened to hurt her if I disobey any of his commands. It didn't help that the ESP was interested in Mikan's Alices. Apart from her Nullification Alice, she also posesses the Stealing Alice and the Insertion Alice. He wanted to use them for his personal purposes."

"What does the Stealing Alice do?" Yomi wanted to know.

"The Stealing Alice enables the user to steal other people's Alice's. The stolen Alice with be in the form of Alice stones. In extreme cases, it can cause death if the victim is in severe conditions such as a coma, sickness or close to death. But the Alice does come in handy at times. It can be used as a defense mechanism and as a healing method as well if the damage is done by an Alice-based attack. Anyway, the ESP's plan was crumbled to dust when we finally stopped him. We managed to rescue Mikan as well since she was his captive. Since that day, he didn't bother us anymore. But I doubt that he is free from his evil ways, especially when you came here."

"But why me? What did I do?" Yomi's hands was trembling. They felt cold, like ice.

Natsume took a deep breath before he continued his story. "Since the ESP failed to use Mikan, he might see you as his next target because your unknown Alices may be similar with Mikan's Stealing Alice. I do believe that everyone in the Elementary Division's Administrative Council knows your story, including the ESP. He wouldn't give you free stars for nothing. In my case, he gave me a Special Star in order to mask his hold on me and it may be possible that he'll do the same to you. You should be careful from now on because he might watching your every move."

"Natsume, I..."

Suddenly, Natsume pulled Yomi into an embrace. She was surprised with his sudden actions because she knew that Natsume wasn't the hugging type. "Perhaps it's true that Mikan had changed him," her thoughts flashed in her mind.

"I'm telling you all of this because I don't want you to fall into the same darkness as I am. It hurts so deep and up until now, my previous sins can never be washed away as the darkness of my past is always there when Mikan's not around. Because, once you've fallen into the darkness, it will be hard for you to climb out of it." There was a hint of sadness in his voice.

 

(")(^_^)(")

 

Yomi was in a rush that morning. All that midnight talk with Natsume made her overslept. As she was brushing her hair, she remembered the red hairclip that Inchou had given her. At the same time, there were three knocks on her door.

"Yomi, are you ready to go to school?" Inchou's voice called out to her.

"I'm coming," Yomi called back as she put the hairclip on and looked herself in the mirror. Feeling satisfied, she grabbed her schoolbag and opened the door. Inchou was standing there with his usual smile on his face.

"Goodmorning, Yomi." He greeted her and then he noticed the hairclip on Yomi's hair. He was staring at her and he didn't even blink his eyes.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Yomi asked him while looking at him strangely. "Is there something on my face?"

He quickly shook his head. "No, not at all. Except..." His voice trailed off.

"Except what?" Yomi demanded. There was a slight irritation in her voice.

"Err..." Inchou stammered. "Except that you're pretty today."

Inchou was blushing in embarrassment and was about to leave when Yomi called out from behind.

"Wait," she said. "Thanks... for your compliment... and your gift."

 

(")(+_+)(")