Chapter 6

Thief of Hearts

The whole class was in a frenzy that morning. Everyone was talking, laughing and most of them were looking very excited. Yomi looked around and was puzzled with everyone's behavior.

"What's with everybody? Is it someone's birthday today? Or Jinno's absent today?"

Inchou, who was putting his books down onto his desk, just smiled.

"Well, today is Allowance Day," he answered calmly.

"Allowance Day? What's that?"

"Allowance Day is the day when every students in the Academy receive their allowances. The amount of the allowances are given according to the student's star rank. For example, Three-star rank students like us will receive about 100 Rabbits. The higher the student's star rank, the higher the amount of allowances that he or she will receive."

"Wait," Yomi interrupted Inchou's explanation. "Rabbits? The Academy is giving out actual rabbits?"

"Oh that," Inchou giggled but quickly turn silent when Yomi shot him a warning look. "The Rabbit (Rt) is actually the name for the Academy's own monetary system. It's like a currency but it's only worth of value inside the Academy grounds as it's useless and worthless outside. Don't worry," he added with a wink. "No real rabbits are harmed in the making of this currency."

"How much is a Rabbit actually?" Yomi wanted to know.

"A Rabbit is equal to about a 100 yen. Since we'll receive about 100 Rabbits, the total amout is equivalent to 10000 yen."

"10000 yen?" Yomi gasped. "That's a lot of money."

Before Inchou could say anything, Mikan suddenly stood up.

"Hey everyone!" She called out cheerfully. "Let's go to Central Town this afternoon!"

"Yes! Let's go to Central Town!" Her classmates answered ecstatically. Natsume sighed miserably but he quickly lightened up as Mikan whispered something to him.

As the rest of the class were excited with the idea of going to Central Town, Yomi was left in confusion... again.

"Err..." She stammered. "What is Central Town actually?"

"Central Town," Inchou began "is actually a shopping district located in the Academy's grounds. It's the place where the students inside the academy do their shopping. All the shops there are managed by Alice-bearing artisans and they sell goods that are created with the help of their Alices."

Yomi's crimson eyes lit up with excitement. "That sounds so cool. A shopping district? What's not to like?"

"Then, why don't you tag along with us?" Mikan suddenly tapped her shoulder. "It's an open invitation. Everyone's welcome. Besides," she added "it would be fun if you can see Central Town with your own eyes. I remember the first time I went there, it was fun and interesting."

Then Ruka came up to her. "You should try the Town's specialty, Howalon candy. It's very delicious and it's a must-have for everyone who goes to Central Town."

Yomi turned her attention to Inchou.

"I want to go to Central Town... and you're coming with me too."

 

(")(>.<)(")

 

The bus was full with excited students and most of them were from Class 1B. Mikan was sitting with Natsume, Ruka was sitting with Hotaru along with Youichi and Sumire was sitting with Kokoro Yome. As for Yomi, she was sitting together with Inchou. They said nothing as each of them were minding their own business; Yomi was busy staring at the window while Inchou was lost of words, not knowing what to say.

"Inchou's a nice person," she thought as she stared blankly at the trees outside the window. "He really follows everything that's been written in the to-do list. But, let's just see what will happen next."

"Yomi-chan, we're finally here." Inchou's voice shook her from her thoughts.

 

(")(+_+)(")

 

Central Town was interesting and lived up to its unique name. With colourful rows of shops, out-of-the-ordinary goods and products, and friendly shopkeepers, shopping in Central Town was truly an unforgettable experience. When Yomi stepped out from the bus, she was greeted with large and colourful shop buildings. Potted plants with sweet-smelling flowers under the window sill decorated the bulidings. Shoppers were bustling in and out of them, with purchased goods in their hands. Happy students were walking around, laughed with one another. A cafe at the end of the block was packed with hungry customers. Inchou stood beside her.

"Do you want to look around, Yomi-chan?"

Yomi nodded and smiled, but said nothing. Together, they walked side by side and explored Central Town. Yomi listened in awe as Inchou explained to her like a tour guide. They walk past a bank, a clinic, a hat shop, a bakery, a stationery shop, two cafes, a fish restaurant, a florist, a grocer and a bookstore. They even went into an accessory shop for girls where Natsume and Mikan were spotted together, talking over a display of pretty hairclips.

"The one with the pink flower is pretty"

"No, the red one is pretty. I know what's best for Aoi."

"She's my sister too, Natsume. The pink flower suits her best."

"You keep on insisting the pink one. Do you want to buy it for Aoi or for yourself?"

"Natsume..."

"Shut up, I know what I'm doing."

Yomi and Inchou quickly left the shop, giggling as they made their way unnoticed.

"Did those two always fight with each other? It's hilarious."

Inchou, who was also giggling, replied:

"Well, they're partners at first and fights between them are common. Natsume really hated Mikan at that time. But, when Natsume confessed his feelings to her, she happily accepted. Thus, they're in a relationship. Despite all the fights, they deeply cared for each other."

Yomi listened with interest as Inchou briefly explained about Natsume's and Mikan's relationship.

"Oh, no wonder they looked so close together. Even I've never seen Natsume this happy... I think. That Mikan girl sure is something."

They kept on walking until they reached the shop that were selling Howalon candy. There was a long queue outside the shop. Ruka and Youichi were also in the queue. They waved at Yomi and Inchou.

"Hey guys!" Ruka called. "Do you want to buy some Howalon? Come and queue with us." Yomi looked at Inchou.

"I think I want some of the Howalon candy."

Inchou nodded. "I'll queue up and buy you some. You can check out the accessories in the shop next door."

So, Inchou and Yomi parted ways; he went to join Ruka and Youichi while Yomi went to the accessories' shop.

While Inchou was in the queue, he chatted with Ruka and Youichi while eyeing for Yomi. He noticed that Yomi was pacing up and down the shop. She kept on pacing until she stopped in front of a display of hairpins and hairclips. She was smiling as she picked up a small red hairclip. It was beautiful with a red rose and silver detailing. But then, her smile faded as she put the hairclip back into its rightful place on the display.

"Excuse me, how may I help you?"

The shopkeeper's question snapped his focus back to the present.

 

(")(#_#)(")

 

Yomi and Inchou, along with their other friends were sitting around the fountain in the Town's square. They were munching on their Howalon candies. When Yomi had her first bite of Howalon candy, she felt happier than ever as her thoughts were in bliss as the heavenly taste of Howalon enveloped her tastebuds.

"This is absolutely delicious!" She exclaimed in delight. "I can have these every single day."

Inchou smiled. "I'm glad you like it." Then, he stood up.

"Where are you going?" Yomi asked between mouthfuls of Howalon.

"There's something I need to buy. I'll be right back." In a split second, Inchou disappeared.

"Wow," Natsume commented flatly. "I never knew he could run that fast."

Meanwhile, Inchou was in an accessories' shop. The shopkeeper greeted him politely.

"Hello," she said "how may I help you?"

"Can I have that, please?" Inchou asked while pointing at a display.

 

(")(8_8)(")

 

It was time to go back. Everyone was already on the bus but it was less frantic than their ride earlier. Some of the students already dozed off. Mikan leaned her head on Natsume's shoulder with her new pink-flowered hairclip glinting in the sunset's glow. As for Yomi, she dozed off as well and she accidentally leaned her head onto Inchou's shouder. Inchou was both shocked and surprised at the same time. However, he didn't have the guts to push her away because she didn't do it on purpose. Besides, he didn't want to be rude to her. It was a good thing that nobody noticed them. He was still holding a small package. It was beautifully wrapped with red gift paper. He was thinking about the right time to give it to that person. As he was pondering his thoughts, the bus suddenly came to a sudden halt.

"Okay, we're back at the elementary school grounds," the bus driver called out.

The sleepy silence inside the bus has broken at last. Students stood up and picked up their bags as their were getting ready to get off. Yomi was finally awake and was startled to find herself leaning onto Inchou's shoulder. She was blushing with embarrassment as she quickly gathered her things before dashed outside. Inchou was in a daze before he realized that Yomi has left him in the bus. He looked at the package in his hand.

"Oh dear," he sighed. "I need to give this to her. Fast."

He grabbed his things and quickly dashed outside, only to found Yomi leaning against a lightpost with her hands folded across her chest. 

"What's taking you so long?" She demanded while tapping her foot. "It's dinnertime and I'm hungry."

 

(")(^_^)(")

 

After dinner, Yomi and Inchou made their way to their dormitory. When they reached the stairs, Yomi was about to go upstairs when Inchou halted her.

"Wait," he said. Yomi stopped in her tracks and looked at him.

"What is it?"

He handed her the small package. "I have something for you. It's not much, but I hope that you'll like it." Before Yomi could say anything, he quickly ran away. She just stared at him, open-mouthed with confusion. Her eyes trailed off his disappearing figure and looked at the package in her hand.

"What's gotten into him?"

 

(")(0_0)(")