Chapter 11

Thief of Hearts

Inchou felt himself slightly relaxed a little bit since Yomi was given a medical leave today. 

"Since Yomi was given a day off, I guess it's a day off for me too. Finally I'm free to be on my own for one day," he thought to himself as he was getting ready for school. "But I hope that she's okay though, it's a miracle that she survived from whatever ordeal that she'd faced."

As Inchou was descending the dormitory's stairs, the dormitory's rector Takahashi halted him. She was carrying a tray of food.

"Ah, Yuu-san," she said. "You're Yomi Igarashi's partner, right?" Her question caught him by surprise.

"Yes, Takahashi-san. I'm her partner. Why?"

"Good," Takahashi quickly handed the tray of food to him. "I was told to deliver breakfast to her but I have other things to do at the last minute. I hope that you could help me by taking this to her instead."

Inchou didn't hesistate to give others a helping hand but to be given a golden opportunity to visit Yomi in the morning, how could he resist?

"Sure, Takahashi-san," Inchou replied with a smile. "I would be glad to help you." Takahashi thanked him and hurriedly disappeared from sight. 

 

 

KNOCK!!! KNOCK!!! KNOCK!!!

"Yomi, are you awake? I've brought your breakfast."

Yomi was startled when she heard Inchou's voice. It was a good thing that she was already awake and already dressed in her casual clothes since she was on leave today. However, she was happy that Inchou was kind enough to visit her.

"Good morning, Inchou," she greeted him with a smile. She eyed the tray of food in his hands. "Breakfast for me? Good timing. I am hungry, you know?" She beckoned him to enter her room. Inchou was surprised with her sudden sweet attitude. Perhaps she was in a good mood? This was also his first time seeing Yomi in casual clothes. She was cute despite her bandaged forehead. She also wore the hairclip that he had given her earlier. 

"The dorm's rector asked me to bring breakfast to you," Inchou explained as he set the tray down on her bedside table. "It's a good thing too since you may not be able to come down for your meals due to your injuries. I hope that you're doing okay now."

Yomi was touched with his sincerity and concern. As she was about to reach out for her food, Inchou was going to leave the room.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"I think I better leave now," Inchou replied as he slowly backed away from her. "I don't want to bother you."

"Who said that you can leave?" Yomi demanded. "I never said that you can leave me?"

"But..." Inchou tried to protest but he was cut short by Yomi.

"No buts." She demanded while pointing to an empty chair. "Take that chair and sit next to me."

"Eh?" Inchou gasped in shock. "Why?"

"Because I don't want you to go to school with an empty stomach."

"But..." Inchou tried to protest again but Yomi shrugged him off.

"No buts!" Yomi demanded, her voice was slightly edgier. "There's enough food for both of us. Besides," her voice softened. "At least let me do something nice for you instead."

Inchou realised that it was no use of him to deny Yomi's request so he just followed her command. They sat down and they shared the food. Just like Yomi had said; the food was enough for both of them. As they were eating in silence, Inchou occasionaly stole glances at Yomi and he swiftly looked away when Yomi noticed him doing so.

Inchou's heart was thumping madly. This was his first time sharing a meal with a girl... especially a girl that he liked the most. Furthermore, this was also his first time being in a room with another girl that he liked and there was no one else in the same room. 

As for Yomi, she did notice that Inchou was stealing glances at her and looked away when she looked at him. She realised that Inchou was really cute when she was this close to him. Seeing his big brown eyes made her heart fluttered in bliss. 

After they had finished eating their breakfast, Inchou stood up and was ready to go when Yomi tugged his sleeve.

"Thank you, Inchou" she said. "For spending your time  with me."

"My pleasure," he replied sincerely with a smile. "Thank you for your kindness." As he was about to turn the doorknob, Yomi's voice called out to him.

"And Inchou,"

"Yes?"

"Thank you for care and concern for me."

 

 

When Inchou finally reached class 1B, Hotaru approached him.

"Where were you?" She demanded. "I didn't see you during breakfast."

"Yeah," chided Mikan. "Did you overslept?"

Before Inchou could answer, Kokoro Yome's voice rang beside him.

"He was in Yomi's room."

"WHAT???!!!" The class was in uproar. Inchou's face was turning pink from embarassment. 

"Well," Inchou stammered as everyone's eyes were on him. Even Natsume was surprised as well. "Takahashi-san asked me to deliver Yomi's breakfast."

"Yomi even shared her breakfast with him." Kokoro Yome added gleefully. 

"SHE DID WHAT???!!!" Again, the whole class was in an uproar. Inchou felt that his cheeks were burning hot with utmost embarassment when the whole class knew about this morning's incident.

Kokoro Yome was about to say something else but Inchou quickly clamped his mouth shut.

"Koko," he pleaded. "No more, please?" At first Kokoro Yome was determined to say something but then he relented since he couldn't possibly break out Inchou's secret.

"Awww..." Mikan begged. "Do tell us more about it." Before she could say anything else...

WHAM!!!

"Ouch! Why do you hit me, Natsume?"

"Because you're an idiot!" Natsume said coldly while flexing his fingers. "You didn't enjoy it when Koko read out your thoughts to the public. Of all people, you should know how to behave." 

Mikan realised her mistake so she quickly apologised to Inchou and he forgave her. He looked at Natsume and flashed a grateful smile at him. Natsume flashed an assuring smile as if he was trying to say that Inchou's secret was safe with him. As for the rest of the class, they wouldn't dare to interrogate Inchou and Kokoro Yome after seeing Natsume's behavior towards Mikan. 

 

"So, Yuu-san," Narumi began. "I can see that you and Igarashi-san are going along quite well." He requested Inchou to meet him after class so now they were currently in the Elementary Division's Teacher's Office for the meeting. Narumi was relieved to see that not many teachers were around during this time. However, Jinno was at his desk, marking papers. "I know that it was a rough start for both of you" he returned his focus on Inchou. "But it seemed that my decision to pair you up is a right one. I hope that you won't be in such trouble with her."

"Sensei, you have no idea," Inchou thought to himself. At first he wanted to say something but he knew better not to complain anything about Yomi. Instead he said: "Oh, not at all Sensei. Both of us are doing great. Igarashi herself is okay with our classmates especially Mikan."

"Ah, Mikan," Narumi laughed. "I knew that she'll definitely get along with her because of her cheerful attitude." Inchou just smiled in agreement.

"But," Narumi's voice was suddenly lowered with seriousness. "I got word about her accident yesterday. From what I've heard that she fell through a glass window and crashed onto the ground."

Inchou nodded slowly. "I heard a loud crash and when I got there, she was already in a heap among the shards of glass. I did look up at the window from where she had fallen through. There was a silhouette of someone but in a split second, it disappeared."

"Narumi-sensei," Inchou's voice tight with concern when he saw Narumi's face darkened. "Are you all right?"

"Did you tell anyone else about the mysterious sillhouette?" Narumi's voice was slightly tensed.

"No, Sensei. I didn't tell anyone else."

"Good. It's better for you to keep it as a secret." Narumi placed his hand on Inchou's shoulder. "I think that you should take good care of your partner and also yourself."

"Me? Why Sensei?"

"Oh, nothing." Narumi smiled while trying to shake away the worryness in his voice. "But do take care of each other."

Suddenly his face brightened up again and he's back with his jolly self. "Thank you for your time, Yuu-san. You may leave now."

Inchou left the office with a puzzled expression. What's gotten into Narumi-sensei?