Chapter 8

Thief of Hearts

Ever since Inchou had given Yomi a new hairclip, she was never seen in public without it. Even if she was late to class, she made sure that she wear it. She even wear the hairclip even during P.E classes except during swimming sessions because a teacher did warn her. She did not want to stir up any trouble because she knew that all the teachers were keeping their eyes on her. The hairclip also changed Yomi's attitude towards Inchou. She was no longer being cold and arrogant but she was behaving warmly towards him. No more sarcasm, no more coldness and no more snobbish attitudes. She respected Inchou day by day. Inchou did notice this at first but he did not bother to ask her because he was afraid that Yomi was going to lash out to him. He was quite surprised with her sudden change of attitude. Even their classmates also noticed this. However, they discussed about it among themselves out from both Yomi's and Inchou's knowledge. Because they knew better for not butting their heads into matters that were not in their concern in the first place.

"Yomi's getting nicer to Inchou ever since she got that hairclip."

"An attitude-changing hairclip? Hotaru's new invention perhaps?"

"Maybe Inchou jinxed her."

"Nonsense! Inchou's not that shady."

"But she's even being nice to everyone."

"True enough, her cold stares are no more."

Even Natsume noticed Yomi's change of behaviour. He was also surprised but he did not show it to others. Mikan and Ruka did ask him about Yomi but he just shrugged his shoulders as an answer. But he need to find some answers himself. 

 

(")(o_o)(")

 

Everyone was crowding the notice board in the hallway. Most of the students were girls and they were squealing in delight. Yomi and Inchou just got back from the library and was puzzled on the sudden noisy crowd. Among the crowd were Mikan, Natsume, Ruka and Hotaru. Mikan looked excited, Natsume looked bored and both Ruka and Hotaru were expressionless.

"What's all the fuss about?" Yomi asked Mikan.

"Oh Yomi-chan!" She grabbed Yomi by the shoulders while jumping up and down in excitement. "The Academy is going to organize a Ball next Saturday." Inchou blushed when the word "Ball" came up. Before Yomi could interrupt, Mikan spun her around like a rag doll. It was a good thing that Mikan nullified her Alice because she could felt that her Alice was slightly troubled by Mikan's actions. "Ohh~," she said happily. "There will be music, food and dancing. I can't wait~!" She dragged Yomi to the large poster. Sure enough, there were details about the Ball. As Yomi' was skimming through the details, she stopped at a certain sentence.

"The Academy gives out the costumes? Really?"

Mikan nodded with a smile. "The Academy gives out costumes whenever there's a Ball or a formal celebration. The costumes for each Academic Division are also different."

"A Ball eh?" she said quietly while narrowing her eyes at Inchou. "Sounds fascinating."

 

(")(=_=)(")

 

As the day's class ended, Inchou and Yomi were the last ones to leave. As Inchou was clearing his books, Yomi also did the same. She was arranging her books until a ball of paper stuck out from inside her schoolbag. Recognizing the handwriting, she quickly stuffed it back inside. When they had cleared everything away, they left the classroom. They were walking silently down the deserted hallway. Inchou wanted to say something but he was afraid that Yomi will thrash him in a fit of rage. But he must do it somehow.

"Err... Yomi," Inchou began. "There's something I need to ask."

"Yes?" she responded but still continued to walk. "What is it?"

Inchou wanted to say something but the words stuck in his throat.

"What is it?" Yomi repeated but there was an edge in her voice this time.

"Err... Will you come with me to the Ball, please?" Inchou blurted out in surprise. Yomi immediately stopped walking due to the shocking request. She could not believe her ears. She spun around, her long black hair whirled along behind her.

"What did you say?" She demanded.

"Will you come with me to the Ball, please?" Inchou repeated, his voice shaking with fear. At first Yomi stood dumbstruck. But then, she raised her hand, ready to slap him. Inchou's face was pale with fear and his hands were cold as ice.

"Bad move Inchou. I knew it all along that she'll reject it. Now I'm going to pay the price." He closed his eyes and braced for the impact and the fleshy twack sound of a slap.

But the impact never came. So did the sound. Instead, a warm hand was his right cheek. He opened his eyes and they almost popped out in shock. Yomi was his cheek with her gloved hand. She smiled warmly at him.

"Of course I'll go with you. I accept your invitation." They both smiled towards each other and feeling speechless at the same time. As for Yomi, her heart had a strange, new feeling. Her heart began to pound wildly. Not from fear or anger, but this was something new. Something that she could not fathom.

Outside the building, flowers began to bloom in the lawns and gardens. The wind was blowing a gentle breeze.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Academy, a man was smiling slyly.

"That girl had a lot of potential. She looks suitable enough." He laughed like a madman.

 

(")(*o*)(")

 

The sound of leaves rustling in the cool breeze did give Yomi the chills as she made her way towards the gazebo. Natsume had left her a note inside her schoolbag, saying that he wanted to meet her. As the gazebo came into view, her first memories about it played in her mind. Yes, that was the place where she told Natsume the real reason she was sent to the Academy.

BAM!!!

All of her flashbacks fade away as she fell facedown into a pile of dirt. She quickly got back to her feet and looked back. Then, she giggled to herself.

"Silly me. I tripped over a tree root." She muttered to herself as she dusted herself off. She looked around. After making sure that no one was looking, she quickly ran towards the gazebo. She leaned against the nearest pillar as soon as she reached the safety of the gazebo. Somehow, it made her feel safe. Suddenly, the branches from a nearby tree were shaking madly. Yomi's hands were extended and ready to strike to whatever opponent that was waiting to pounce on her.

"Ooh, that's a scary gesture."

Yomi relaxed as Natsume dropped from the branches. He landed neatly like a cat.

"Now then," she began. "Why do you want to meet me?"

Natsume leaned casually against a pillar with his hands in his pockets.

"I see that you're happier in these days. Did something happen?" He raised an eyebrow as Yomi turned away, blushing.

"N-n-n-n-n-n-No~" she stammered. "Nothing unusual. Nothing in particular..." The wind began to blow.

"You're boring," Natsume cut her short. "Even you can't make a decent lie. I can tell that you're really happy," he added with a wink. "and I think I know the reason."

"What are you talking about?" The dried leaves on the ground began to stir as the wind began to blow harder.

"Well," Natsume said as he plucked out a dried leaf from his hair. "Let's just say that someone has found her match. It's a pity that you don't want to share the details. Whatever or whoever it is, I'm happy for you." 

Yomi opened to speak but Natsume was about to leave.

"But you need to be careful. You might be in danger." He said over his shoulder.

The wind died down instantly and everything was silent.

 

(")(-_-)(")