CHAPTER 1

Best Friends

 

“Hey! Do you know what so special today?”

My best friend Changjo asked while munching his corn. Its lunch break and we’re sitting under a tree, this is where we always eat, have some a little chit-chat and take a rest. Today is our friendsary, you know best friends who celebrate their monthsary. We’ve been doing this since we were 7 years old. Actually I was the one who set the date of our friendsary it was in September 19 in the year 2002. Why? Because it’s the first time we went to Lotte World. His parents took us there, and that’s the first time I saw Changjo smiled and laughed. You see, he is a very cold—hearted human being, he don’t know how appreciate small things.

Today, were celebrating our 10th anniversary of being best friends. Can you imagine it? 10 years being best friend with this arrogant cold-hearted dude is really tiring. He often smiles, laugh and TALK! Me, as a very talkative person I don’t know how I stand being alone with him. He is sometimes staring blankly in a thin sheet of air, listening to music, playing games in his iPad. He is not very sociable so I don’t know why he became the team captain of our basketball team in freshmen.

I sipped my juice. “Huh?” I asked and gave him a look like ‘what are you talking about?’ when I really know what he meant.

“You don’t remember? Okay. It isn’t that special anyway. Just forget it.” He was about to stand up when I suddenly grabbed the hem of his uniform. “What?” He gave me that, how does he say it ‘most precious cold look’? Whatever.

“It’s our 10th anniversary, you silly. How can I forget it when I’m the one who set it?” I smiled. This fool, he takes things seriously. “So yeah. Where’s my gift?” I handed out my hand and grin.

“Pff. Gift my .” He finally stood up. Dust off his uniform, grabs his bag and finally walked off.

I left there dumbfounded. “That’s rude.” I whispered to myself. It’s our 10th anniversary it’s supposed to be a happy celebration. “This is my fault.” Guilt is starting to build up to myself. A tear rolled down on my cheeks.

 

RING!

The bell finally rang indicating that lunch is now over.

I am now sitting in my chair. Thirty percent listening and seventy percent day-dreaming, my mind is nowhere but to the scenery earlier, when Changjo just left me under the tree. This is entirely my fault. Hye Mi, you are an idiot. You seriously are nerd. These phrases kept circling in my mind. Every time I made Changjo mad, I always blame myself. I don’t know why but I should be the one to blame, don’t I? I’m such a bad best friend. How can I do that to my friend? I. Am. Bad. I don’t deserve his friendship. I should make up to him. I hope the bell ring now.

 

RING!

 

That was fast. I didn’t think that day-dreaming is a time machine. I should do that again. Not listening to teachers were quite fun. I’m starting to be a bad student. Oh, that’s okay I’m in high school right now. I should study well and have fun at the same time.

 

I grab my bag and headed to my locker. After that I stride towards the gym. I opened the door and saw Changjo and his team mates playing basketball. I sat on the bleachers and watched them play. Changjo is really good in sports but he is the best in basketball. But he is the best among the best when it comes to dancing. I don’t know why he chose baskets instead of stage.

 

Finally, their practice is over. Changjo walks into the Men’s locker room to change his clothes. I waited outside the gym.

“Hey!” I greeted and walks beside him. “How’s your practice?”

I didn’t get any respond. Okay.

“Mad?” I asked. “I’m sorry.”

Pfft. I didn’t get any respond again. I get my juice inside my bag and started twisting the cap. When I was about to drink it, Changjo suddenly grab my bottled juice and started drinking it. I pouted. It’s my favourite juice.

“Apology accepted.” He smiled. And shoots the empty bottle into the trash can, his basketball skills is really great. No doubt he is the MVP for 2 consecutive years when we were in middle school.

“That’s my last juice.” I sighed.

 

We reached the gate. I was going to turn left now, when a hand grabbed my wrist.

“What?” I asked sadly but trying to put a little smile on my face. That is my last juice. The convenience store that sells that drink said that the next stock will be next month. That’s so long.

Changjo held my hands and start walking ahead me. “Let’s go. Let me take you home.” He said without even glancing.

I looked at our hands and a shy smile crept out on my lips. But I shook those thoughts, easily.  No, Hye Mi. Choi Jonghyun, your simple gestures are making me fall for you over and over again. I love you so much, but I can’t tell you that, not now.

 

At last, we’re in front of our house. That was a long walk. Maybe not. Every time I’m with Changjo it seems that the time is ticking slowly, or it was just my nerdy imagination?

“Thanks.” I smiled. “Happy 10th anniversary, I hope our friendship last forever.” By saying the phrase ‘friendship last forever’ makes me want to cry. But I can’t. Not in front of him.

Changjo ruffled my hair. I pouted and start fixing my hair. “I’m not mad. I’m sorry if I didn’t make you happy today. I promise I’ll make it up tomorrow, okay?” He smiled. That angelic smile, I feel like I’m in heaven. Luckily, I snapped out immediately. I nodded my head. I was about to enter the gate of our house when Changjo called my name.

“Hye Mi!”

I looked around. “What is it?”

Changjo seems like hesitating to say what he is about to say. “Nothing!” He shook his head. “Good night.” He said then wave off.

 

I headed towards my room. I removed my shoes, put my bag on the floor, and slump my tired body in my bed.

“Aigoo~” I sighed.

“Good night.” That simple yet sweet word keeps repeating in my head.

I did my evening routines and lied down on my bed again.

“Choi Jonghyun, I have like you all this time but I have no guts to say that thing to you because I don’t know what will happen when you finally know the truth.” I murmured to myself. I kept thinking on the possibilities when I decided to confess my feelings to him. Because of too much thinking I finally drift off to sleep.

 

 

Author's note

Again. I'm sorry for some grammatical errors. :) *peace* I'm also sorry if you find this boring.

Comment and subscribe. ♥♥

 

My ultimate bias is INFINITE L. Actually the main character should be him but I can't imagined myself being befriend with him. And for 2 consecutive nights I dreamt of Changjo after that I start writing a story plot in my mind. That's why I ended up with this story. And I've been LSS to a song. That song is all about friendship and love. Being in friend zoned is  hard, I've experienced it before. LOL. Kidding. 

Anyway I'm a 97 liner and Changjo is a 95 liner. So I think that's also a reason why I chose him. Okay, nonsense. :) sorry.

Follow me in twitter: @hnnhdnll