Candy Corn

Mechanical

Jonghyun POV

I try to take a deep breath and ignore the fact that people are starting to stare as I engage in a one-way conversation with my glass of vodka. 

"Because it creates the atmosphere of course."

I continue to mumble in response the foolish question my quickly emptying glass just asked.

"Of course i had to pick a bar."

it could have been his bar. He is a ing barrista.

"But Key would be there... Maybe. And it would be..... weird for him having to talk about this at his workplace."

The barrista at this bar in particular (who is not nearly as attractive or charming as Onew) is trying to discreetly take my glass away.

"Maybe it's time to stop..."

"I've only had four freaking glasses!! And we were still talking!"

At that the guy pulls the glass away, and i probably would have made a much bigger scene if it weren't for the comforting weight of a warm palm landing on my shoulder.

"J-Jonghyun?"

Onew. Damn, he's pretty. His wide lips are pouting out slightly in concern and those soft eyes are looking at me through tossled brown hair.

"Hey."

"Hey."

".... You wasna drink?" I mentally curse myself for the slur in my words but he seems to relax because of it and the hand on my shoulder tightens slightly as he shakes his head.

"Let's talk outside."

I can only nod as he takes my hand gently in his and leads me outside again. The slight pressure of his warm palm pressed gently against mine felt all kinds of right. The sudden blast of cold night air against my face clears up the jumble that is my innebriated mind enough to remember why we'r both here. I stop suddenly, tightening my grip on Onew's hand and hauling him to a stop as well. He looks back at me, eyebrows furrowed over those beautifl brown orbs.

"We need to talk."

His gaze falters and he looks down, but not before i see the hurt in his eyes.

"Yeah we do."

I guide him over to a table before dropping his hand. , i shouldn't have been drinking before he got here. Blinking a few times to get my thoughts in order, i turn to face him. Not even a syllable passes my lips before  he snaps.

"You'r an asswhole."

Blink blink.

"I mean.... Joon is my best friend. I told you that over and over. But you didn't trust me. And you didn't even ask about it before you came barging into his apartment with accusations. You just decided everything by yourself. We were playing strip poker. You didn't even listen, and got suspicious all by yourself and i wasn't really angry at you at all until right now because i just thought of it and Luna is kind of right and you're kind of a big jerk."

This is a little too much for my head right now,and who the hell is Luna? The alcohol is getting a little heavier on my poor brain. Onew is looking at me and he looks angry and it really doesn't help that his soft, pink lips are pouting up like that. I'm tempted to tell him how adorable, but the small persantage of my mind that isn't drunk is telling me that's a bad idea. Onew takes my confused silence as an invitation to continue talking.

"I-I really like you Jonghyun. Really, really, really like you a lot. And i want to be with you, because i believe that we could... that you might be......."

There is something painfully endearing about the way the man in front of me pulls at the hairs in the very center of his fringe, as if trying to cover his whole face with it. He doesn't finish his sentence, but he doesn't have to. Because even in my drunken state of mind, i understand what he's saying.

"I am an asswhole. And a jerk. And an idiot. And i didn't listen to you, or even try to believe you. Honestly, i never had a good reason for what i did. I was just listening to other people, and they didn't have good reasons for believing what they believed either. I was in th wrong, and i'm sorry. I should have trusted my boyfriend. And, Jinki?"

He looks up at me. God, he's so freaking precious.

"I really, really, really, like you too. Like, a whole lot."

There's something kind of perfect about the way he smiles at me and i wish i were completely sober to appreciate it. Suddenly, a thought strikes me through the haze quickly taking over my mind.

"Bunny?"

"Yeah?"

"I still wanna meet the strip poker guy."

And he laughs and holds my hand and i think that was pretty freaking simple and maybe i'm kind of a coward. And maybe Key's kind of an idiot, but i can think about that some other time.

Lee Joon POV

I smash the phone down onto the counter of my kitchen as I get the tone again. Is he purposely ignoring my calls? Dammit, it's just a freaking bike!! Why is he being this way? Why am i so worried? I lean my forhead against the counter, searching for comfort in the cold of the marble.  

It shouldn't hurt this much.

I shouldn't be this upset. 

It wasn't even a real argument. What did i do wrong? How can i fix it? Is he mad at me? All these questions keep running in damn circles around my head, making my heart swell painfully in my chest. And I don't even have anyone to help me because in the whole week since i last saw Mir, Onew has baled on me. I know he's having problems too, but he won't even look at me. Our calls are short and he never texts back. Part of me hates Jonghyun for breaking him like this, but the other part wants to kill Lee Jinki, the traitor who abandoned me in my time of need. The phone starts ringing and i bang my head in my haste to grab it.

"Hello?! Hello?"

"Hyung! Guess what?"

I should have been happy that he's finally calling me. That he sounds happy again. But all i feel is rage.

"What do you want?"

He doesn't even notice my tone.

"Jonghyun and i made up! We'r back together! And he wants to meet you! Joon, I-"

"So now it's okay?"

"... What?"

"Three weeks. You date that asswhole for three weeks and completely forget about me when he leaves you. I've been with you for ten years! Ten ing years, i never left your side! I'm always there, protecting you! And you suddenly can't even look at my face because of some asswhole you knew for three weeks! When i nee-"

I'm ashamed of the way my voice cracks in that moment.

".... Is it mir? I'm on my way there."

And the line goes dead before i can answer. I'm left holding the phone to my ear, all the nager out of my by that calm voice and ready promise. Because it's Onew, and i know i could never blame him for anything. No, the only person to blame is me and my cowardly heart.

Onew POV

As i put down the phone, my mood has deteriorated considerably. I walk out of my room and past my couch where Jonghyun is dozing lightly, trying to sleep off the effects of alcohol, Despite my ty feelings, i can't supress the smile that drifts to my face at the sight of him on my couch. I lean over him and lightly shake his shoulder, jacket already in my hand.

"Hmm?"

He blinks lazily at me with thos sweet brown eyes and i almost melt. He takes in the jacket and he sits up.

"Going somewhere baby?"

"Joons house."

His gaze darkens and he's completely awake now. "Why?"

"Because i've been a ty best friend and he needs me."

"I'm coming too."

"No way. I'm going there to cheer him up, and you would not be helpful... at all. Stay here. I'll be back."

I press a quick chaste kiss an his lips and smile at him.

"Trust me."

His eyes soften at that and he lays back on the couch, but not without a pout on that handsome face of his. I try to stiffle a giggle and blow him one last kiss before i'm out the door and in my car.

I stand outside of Joon's door, wondering if i should knock or just barge my way in with the spare key like I usually would. I settle on knocking and wait patiently for him to answer his door. A few minutes pass before i knock again, at the same time that my phone vibrates in my pocket.

From: Joon

To: Jinki

Use ur freaking key!!! I gave it to you for a reason!!

I can't help but smile as i push my way into the apartment. Joon is lying on the couch surrounded by two empty tubs of ice cream and working on a third as he stares teary eyed at the TV. I do a double take at the screen when i see Antonio Banderas.

"What the hell are you watching?"

"Philadelphia*"

"Jesus, Joon."

I grab the remote off the table and quickly turn off the TV. A slow tear makes it's way down my handsome friend's face and something tells me it's not just the movie that caused it.

"It makes sense. That they all him like that. It makes sense. It's not natural Jinx. It... It's wrong."

His words feel like a punch to my gut and i take a quick step back. He sees the look on my face and suddenly scrambles to sit up.

"Jinki, i didn't mean that about you."

"When i told you i... liked guys, you said that it wasn;t a big deal. That you can't help who you liked. Were you just saying that? Is this how you really felt?"

He's on his feet now, hands on my shoulders.

"NO! God, Onew, no. Guys, girls, dogs, it doesn't matter, you're still you i meant that. Wait, except the dogs, that's, like, profoundly messed up. Wait, that's not the point, I-"

"Joon. It's the same with you. You're still Joon."

A broken smile and a twicth of his face.

"Tell that to my father."

It's quiet for a moment.

"Mir?"

Another broken smile.

"I haven't spoken with him since the day after you broke up with the asswhole. About a week. I don't even know what i did wrong."

"Have you called?"

"He won't pick up."

"Well maybe-"

My phone goes off and I furrow my brow in confusion when i see that it's my landline, before remembering that Jonghyun is there. I glance at Joon and he rolls his eyes, signaling me to answer.

"Babe?"

"Oh god, hyung, there was some crazy chick pounding at your door. I opened it to telll her to beat it and not bother the neighbours but she forced her way in and now she's-"

"Oppa? Oppa is this him?! This is the asswhole? Ohmygod he's gorgeous!!"

It's Luna. The one who gave me relationship advice. And saved me from despair. Whom i met at a ba. Calling me now. At this precise moment. How interesting.

"Luna? Stay there. We'r coming right over."

I hang up and grab Joons jacket, throwing it at him and pulling him towards the door.

"Onew? Where are we going? What's going on?"

I can't fight the smile taking over my face and Joon looks at me like he's questioning my sanity. Like i should be. But as i haul him into the cold, all i can say is,

"It's destiny!" 

 

*Philadelphia is a movie w/antonio banderas where he is gay and his partner is dieing of aids. his partner gets fired from his job and no one will defend him in court and all his friends go against him for being a homo