Chapter 5

Amnesia [Currently Editing]

*Back to Kyungsoo’s P.O.V*

I guess him wanting me to help him with work was a start. I mean, he could of asked anyone but he asked me. I could always use this and try wind my way into his life some how. I’d decided the best way to do that was to try become his friend. Maybe if I didn’t bring up our past relationship for a while he’d think I’d given up, and wouldn’t find me as repulsive as he did now.  But, I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle just being his friend for a long time, maybe not at all, knowing how we used to be. I suppose it would be better than being nothing at all to him, and if worst comes to worst, I figured I’d just have to settle for being friends. Perhaps I’ll eventually get over him? I let out a bitter laugh and sat back down at my desk. As if. Sehun eyed me curiously for a second before going back to his work. I noted the new fresh pile of paper work that was ready and waiting for me, messily placed on top of my belongings.

“I’m so late!” Luhan suddenly barged into the office, carrying two bags and a large pile of papers and files. His hair was messy, and his face appeared to be slightly dirty. His shirt was half tucked in, half tucked out and his buttons weren’t buttoned up correctly, his tie hung messily around his neck. He’d over slept. Again.

“Has anyone asked for me?” He asked, urgently. I stood up, taking the papers and files from his hands as he struggled with them and placed them on his desk.

“Not that I know of.” I replied, shaking my head. He sighed in relief and collapsed into his chair, leaning back his head.

“I’m so tired.” He moaned, running a hand though his already messy hair. I laughed, and then turned back to my own desk. I began sorting through all the paper work that had been so kindly left for me.

After a while, Luhan poked my shoulder.

“Kyungsoo-ya,” He said, scooting his chair closer to mine. I hummed in response, still concentrating on the papers in front of me. “I heard Jongin’s back.” He paused. I nodded, still focused on the papers.

“I heard he doesn’t remember you, it must be hard. I’m sorry.” Luhan muttered. I turned to face him and sighed. He was pouting slightly; his upset for me was clear in his eyes. I nodded my head in reply.

“If you ever want me to talk to him for you, I will.” He smiled brightly. I tilted my head to the side out of confusion before remembering. Of course, how could I forget. Luhan and Jongin had always been close friends, so they must have been talking recently as well. Luhan visited Jongin a lot in the hospital so I wasn’t surprised. It seems I really was the only person that didn’t exist in his memory anymore, which made me question his feelings for me. What if he really didn’t love me? What if I was just a toy, something to pass the time with? What if all along he’d been that same arrogant Jongin that I met at the restaurant and his love for me was just an act? After asking myself all this I’d mentally curse myself. ‘He wouldn’t have stayed with me for so long if he didn’t have any interest in me at all,’ I kept telling myself. But I only half heartedly believed it. For the past few days I’d been doubting myself, Jongin’s words at the hospital had really took a knock at my confidence, and I wasn’t sure if I really had mattered to him at all. It hurt thinking that I’d spent these past 2 years loving him and maybe all I was to him was a joke. I didn’t want to think it but I couldn’t help myself. I was stuck between wanting to give up and wanting to carry on. Right now I had no idea what to do. Carrying on seemed like a good idea. But it was tiring and painful. What if he never remembers me? The doctors said he might not, and if he does it’ll take months. How am I supposed to hold myself back for so long? How am I supposed to wait so long until he can hold me again? Knowing that there won’t be anyone there for me anymore scares me. I’m terrified that if worst comes to worst, I’ll have to forget Jongin and move on. I can’t do that.

“Kyungsoo!” Luhan shouted a little. I jumped out of surprise and turned towards him. Sehun, who stood behind Luhan, snickered, earning a scowl from me.

“What?” I asked, still in a daze.

“It’s our lunch hour, I thought I should tell you since your mind seemed to be else where. Anyway, we’re off, see you!’ He smiled and waved briefly before dragging Sehun away with him. I closed my eyes for a second, breathing in then out deeply. I collected my bag from under my desk then made my way out to the small coffee shop just across the road from the office block. I sat down in my usual booth, only this time alone. Jongin and me usually came here out our lunch break together. I hadn’t come since the accident. I let my eyes wander around the shop, some customers I’d seen many times before, some I’d never seen. I ordered a cup of black coffee then sat tapping my fingers against the table, glancing up at the door every time the bell rang, curious as to who was coming in.

I sipped my coffee slowly, my eyes were now fixed on the clock, watching as time slowly passed. I only had 10 minutes of my break left. The bell above the door rang again, signalling someone had entered. I lead my eyes over to the door, I gasped a little, shocked to see a confused Jongin standing near the door, staring directly at me. He carefully made his way over to me and took the seat across from mine. We sat in silence for a while, I was enjoying having him so close to me. Him on the other hand, I had no idea what he was thinking. Why had he come here? Maybe he’d remembered something? I waited patiently for him to speak, but when he didn’t I spoke up.

“What is it?” I asked, carefully placing down my now empty cup.

“I don’t know, I just felt like a coffee,” He shrugged. I sighed, mentally noting not to get my hopes up anymore. “And I need to talk to you about work stuff.”

“So what do you want to know?” I asked, leaning back in my seat. “I only have five minutes left, you know.” He shrugged again.

“I think you’re forgetting whose your boss,” He paused, appearing to be thinking. “So, my dad owns the company right?” I nodded in reply. “He wants me to take charge of the company?” I nodded again. He carried on asking questions, most of which were meaningless, but I still ended up explaining half of his job to him.

“Did you really forget all that? It’s just all the simple stuff.” I quizzed, raising an eyebrow.

“I told you I forgot things that didn’t matter to me.” He said, abruptly. I turned away from him, looking out of the window.

“I wish you’d stop saying things like that, you know?” I turned back towards him, trying to avoid eye contact and hide the pain in my expression.

 

Jongin’s P.O.V

Jongin, you idiot. After saying that, I immediately regret it. Hurt flashed in his already pain filled eyes. I should at least be a little more considerate of his feelings. I sighed.

“Sorry.” I muttered, looking down at the table. I drew circles with my fingers against the wood. I didn’t come here because I wanted a coffee, that was a lie. I came here because I felt like I needed to. As soon as I stepped in here, more images flashed through my mind. Some of customers that I noticed sat around the shop, some of someone laughing, some of that same hand with the ring on it. Warmth seemed to fill me at the sight of these memories. Remembering the hand I let my eyes wander down Kyungsoo’s arm, hoping his hands would be visible. But they were tucked into his pockets. As my eyes wandered back up to his face, our eyes met. I noticed he flinched slightly, not expecting to see me looking back at him. His eyes were filled with pain and longing, but somewhere deep in them there was a glint of hope. I looked away.

“I better go. I’m already an hour and a half over my lunch break and I have paper work to go through.” He said, picking up his bag and standing up. I followed his lead.

“I was about to say the same.” I muttered, following him out of the coffee shop. We walked in silence; neither of us uttered a word. Part of me was too scared to. I was scared that I’d have to see more pain fill his eyes. I didn’t know why it bothered me so much. He’s nothing but an acquaintance to you. I reminded myself. In the elevator, I felt myself stealing glances at him. He stood close to the other side of the elevator wall, as if hoping for protection from him. He awkwardly hung his head and looked at his shoes, kicking at the ground lightly. His eyes closed for a few seconds before he let out a heavy sigh. The elevator opened and a crowd of people flooded in between us, many of which greeted me with a polite hello and a bow of their heads. I bowed my head back slightly, not recognising most of their faces. But I doubted I even knew them in the first place. There where hundreds of workers in this place, how could I possibly remember them all? I tried to find Kyungsoo among the crowd of people but he was tucked away behind a couple of chatting women. I raked my fingers through my hair, feeling my head being to pound slightly. I shut my eyes, but opened them hearing a ding from the elevator, signalling my departure. I lightly pushed my way through the crowd, Kyungsoo doing the same. As we stepped out of the doors our shoulders bumped slightly. He immediately blushed.

“Sorry.” He muttered then scurried off, not looking away from the floor. I smiled, but it dropped as soon as I realised what I was doing.

“Jongin!” I heard a familiar voice shout. I turned to see Luhan waving in my direction. I smiled back as he jogged over to my side. Pain suddenly shot though my head, making my wince.

 

*Flash back*
“Jongin!” Someone ran towards me, my vision was blurred and I could barely make out the voice. Never the less I smiled, wrapping my arm around that persons shoulder. I placed a chased kiss on their cheek before dragging them though the office.

“I told you not to do that in work!” The voice whined. I still couldn’t make out who it was. Everything was still blurry, the voice was muffled.

“There’s no one here, I’ll do what I want.” I replied, the words slipped out of my mouth with out me even knowing. I smirked before kissing the unknown person on the cheek once more. A light punch to my shoulder caused me to pout, faking pain.

“Still anyone could see. Stop it.” The voice whined again.
*End of flash back*


Everything suddenly began to fade out into black, then my previous surroundings returned. A worried looking blonde floated in front of my eyes.

“Jongin! Are you okay?” Luhan asked, a hand gripping my arm as if he was supporting me. I nodded in reply, confused at what had just happened.

What was that? Another memory? It was a proper one this time, I could actually see it. But everything was blurry, I didn’t make out any faces. I couldn’t even recognise the voice. But I’d remembered it as soon as I’d seen Luhan…was it him? I gripped my head, it was still throbbing slightly. Was Luhan really just my friend, or had we once been something more?

***

I was about to leave the office, my mind still buzzing with questions, but I was too tired to even try bother figure out the answers. I walked through the office; my shoulders slumped, dragging my feet as I walked along. I came to a halt, noticing a body hunched over their desk, a large stack of paper work hiding their face. I took a few steps closer, hoping that they where still breathing. Their back slowly rose and fell. I sighed in relief. I decided I should wake this person up since it was way past working hours and if they didn’t leave now then they’d be locked in here all night. I pocked at the shoulder, shaking them a little when they didn’t stir. My hand was slapped away as the person groaned, turning away from me. I scoffed, kicking at the chair. The chair slipped from underneath them and their body fell to the ground, landing with a small thump. I bit my lip and held back my snigger as they gripped their head, in pain. I then realised that the person I was tormenting was Do Kyungsoo.

“Why did you do that?” He grimaced, holding his head still. I shrugged.

“I’m locking up. You need to get your lazy home.” I said, walking away. I heard him quickly scramble around to gather his belongings before he jogged after me until he was walking behind me, grumbling about how I should of just left him there, how much his head hurt, couldn’t I wake people up kinder and how tired he was. I unknowingly felt myself smiling again. I glanced over my shoulder watching as he pouted. His eyelids where half closed, a distant look on his face. My smile widened a little and remained as I looked away.