Chapter 4

Amnesia [Currently Editing]

After wallowing in self pity outside Jongin’s hospital room for around an hour I dragged myself home. But that was only because a nurse had come up to me and asked me to move, and when I didn’t she took it upon herself to move me.

I took my time walking home, letting myself think. What was I supposed to do now? If I kept going back to see him I’d seem desperate. But I was desperate… I let out a frustrated sigh and kicked at the pavement with my foot. I’ll just wait until he comes back to work. It shouldn’t be long now. He’ll be let out in less than a week, the doctors had said, so he’ll be starting work a couple of weeks after probably. I’d end up bumping into him before then anyway, since we live literally a couple of doors away from each other. Would he just ignore me? How am I supposed to confront him after everything he said? I could just try be friendly, and then take him to places we’d been…but he wouldn’t want to be friendly with me anymore. I felt overwhelmed and confused. I really had no clue what to do. As soon as I entered my apartment I flopped on the couch. I guess I’ll just have to wing it.

 

***

A few days later a commotion in the corridor awoke me. I looked at the clock and groaned, it was only 7:00am, I didn’t have to be up for another 2 hours and I knew trying to get back to sleep would only fail. I sat up, throwing my bed covers away from me and then made my way to the kitchen.

“Aish, I really don’t know which one it is.” I heard a voice from the corridor outside my apartment saying, it was muffled so I could make out who it was. I opened my door and popped my head out. My eyes widened. Jongin stood in the corridor, a key in his hand and a tired looking Tao by this side. Tao held a cardboard box to his chest, he kept adjusting his grip evidently the box was heavy. The label on the front of the box stated ‘Food’, in Jongin’s mom’s hand writing. I guess she’d prepared him meals since he’d have no edible food in his cupboards after being in the hospital for a couple of weeks. Tao groaned in frustration.

“Well hurry up and try them all then. Are you sure your mom packed food in this thing?” Tao snapped, adjusting his grip once again and bringing up a knee for support.

“It’s that one.” I stepped into the corridor and pointed at an apartment 3 doors away from mine.

“Oh, thank y- wait it’s you! Are you stalking me now?” Jongin’s face became surprised.

“What are you talking about, it’s Kyungsoo?” Tao chuckled at the elders face.

“Yes, I know that but what is he doing here?” Jongin quizzed. Tao threw me a confused look, I just shook my head in reply. I guess he hadn’t heard.

“I live here, now please just get inside before you wake anyone else.” I sighed before turning on my heel and shutting my apartment door. So he was finally out of the hospital, huh? I guess it’s time to get started again. Even if it means making him hate me, I’ll make him remember me again.

 

*2 Weeks Later*

I tapped my pen against my desk, waiting for another pile of delightful paper work to be dumped on my desk.

“Kyungsooooo!” Sehun sung, rolling his chair over next to mine.

“Sehun.” I replied back in a less happy tone, rubbing my temples. My head was pounding and I was tired. I hadn’t even been in work that long, I still had most of the day left.

“Aww, cheer up!” He cheerfully punched my arm, earning himself a sharp look. He held up his hands in defence “Kyungsoo, you never used to be this moody, what’s up?” Jongin. That’s what’s up. He was supposed to be starting work but I had no idea when. I didn’t catch him in the hall that much and when I didn’t know what to say so I just silently slipped into my apartment without saying a word. It was stupid of me really, maybe if I’d stopped him and talked he might of remembered by now.  Sehun hit me on the arm again when I didn’t reply to him.

“You should be happy! Didn’t you hear Jongin’s coming back to work today?”

“Jeez, thanks for telling me Sehun.” I groaned. I hadn’t even thought of how I would get closer to him yet. A little warning would have been nice. Sehun crinkled up his nose and pouted before returning to his desk. I propped my elbows up on my desk and placed my chin on top of my folded hands. Think Kyungsoo, think! What could I do? I spent a while thinking and didn’t get any far. The only thing I could think of was offering to help him out a little so he could get used to the office, which he’d probably decline. I made a noise of annoyance and ran my hands through my hair before placing my fore head against my desk.

“Kyungsoo,” A sharp voice startled me, causing me to stand up. It was Jongin’s assistant. Her face was as bitter as usual, I swear she instantly turns up her nose at the sight of anyone, except Jongin of course, and his dad.

“Follow me.” She said sternly, then began walking off. I quickly scurried off after her.

“What is it?” I asked cautiously, afraid she’d snap at me or possibly strangle me.

“Mr Kim says he wants to speak to you.” My eyes widened. Why would Jongin want to talk to me? I followed her though the office until we reached Jongin's office. When she opened the office door her face immediately changed. A smile was now planted on her lips, making her seem cheerful. I rolled my eyes.

“Mr Kim, I brought him.” She said sweetly, before bowing and leaving the room. I scoffed, chocking on a laugh. Seeing her acting like that in front of her superiors certainly wasn’t unusual but it was defiantly hilarious to watch. After a few seconds of laughing to myself I remembered why I was here and looked at Jongin curiously. He motioned for me to sit down so I did.

“I thought you didn’t want anything to do with me?” I questioned with a raised eye brow.

“I was thinking about that, and I shouldn’t have said that. Sorry,” His sorry seemed half hearted so I pulled my eye brows together. “There are still other things I don’t remember. I mean, I really have no clue what I’m doing here and my mom said I should ask you. So here I am.” I nodded, so he still didn’t want to remember me? Even though I probably already knew the answer I asked anyway.

“So, you only want my help for work? Not for…” My voice trailed off as he nodded.

 

Jongin’s P.O.V

For some reason, saying those words was harder than usual. I scanned his face; hurt was obvious in his eyes. I scowled slightly to myself.  Maybe I should give him a chance? After talking to my mom about it, it didn’t seem like he was lying to me, but then again, why would I forget every single memory of him if he mattered so much to me. I was probably just wasting my time with him. My head began to throb slightly. I rubbed at my temples hoping to ease the pain. Suddenly my vision became fuzzy, I shut my eyes, gripping my fore head. I heard Kyungsoo calling my name a couple of times but paid no attention. Images flashed though my head. One of a lake. It was beautiful, it looked so peaceful and calm. The place seemed to show some special meaning but I didn’t have enough time to figure it out as more images flashed through my mind. A restaurant, I couldn’t see the name, but again it seemed to hold some sort of special meaning to me. Then an old willow tree. After than an apartment. It was similar to mine but not quite the same, yet it seemed to be more homely than mine, it felt more safe. Then a hand, pale and petit, holding onto mine. I noticed a ring on one of the fingers of each hand, a pattern engraved around it. The images carried on flashing though my mind, all of the same things but from different views. I never saw a name, or a face. Just images that gave me no clue of what they could mean to me. I managed to pull my eyes open and when I did a large pair of eyes stared into them, full of worry.

“Are you okay?” Kyungsoo’s voice was slightly frantic. It took me a couple of seconds to recollect my composure before replying to him.

“I’m fine, you can leave.” I smiled slightly. Something in his eyes showed he didn’t want to, but he complied anyway. He bowed his head before shutting the door.

What was all that? Had I remembered something? I held my hands out in front of me, on my left hand on the finger next to my pinkie was the same ring I’d seen in my head. I slipped it off my finger and pulled it off. At the front of the ring was a kind of twisted rope pattern, the rest of it was just a pain band. I noticed engraved on the inside of the ring was ‘forever’. I sighed. I just had to figure out who owned them fragile, pale hand. But, I already knew. It was Kyungsoo. I was tempted to call him back in the office but I stopped myself. Wouldn’t it be better to remember more about it before I get his hopes up? As much as I don’t want to admit it, I feel bad for hurting him. I shouldn’t have said what I said. I sighed, running my fingers though my hair. I leaned back in my chair and closed my eyes. Did I really love this man?

 

 

 

 



 

Aurthor's note:
Obviously writing long chapters is impossible for me, sorry guys. At least the story won't end too fast this way :p
Again, thanks for the subsribers and comments, it means a lot. I'll try reply to some before I go to bed but I have to write my other story so I don't know if I can :/