Regrets

Follow me into the Darkness

Chapter 6 - Regrets

    The sun was beginning to rise over the horizon to shine over the kingdom, presenting a new day to the world. Hana leaned over the rail of the balcony to watch her villages below. Peasants were still tucked in their beds, sleeping in their little cottages below. Her eyes traced the rooftops and the trees that extended all the way towards the valleys in the distance.

    " What are you looking at?" A familiar voice asked from behind her.

    " Coming in without knocking again?" Hana questioned without turning around. Sunggyu joined her at the balcony, following her gaze in the distance," it's repulsive, isn't it? "

    " It's not as ugly as you make it out to be," he replied solemnly. The buildings were in fine shape and the roads were clean. Perhaps the only conflict she had was with the people living in the village.

    " You see that church over there?" She pointed at a tower with a bell in the distance," when I was a toddler I used to play there with my friends. We used to listen to the church bell ring and play among the flowers."

    " You almost sound innocent," Sunggyu commented.

    " Almost," she agreed, pulling away from the balcony to enter her room," when I turned five, I was prohibited from leaving the castle again. They called me weak and if I was ever going to be the heir of the castle, I had to prove my strength." Sunggyu said nothing so she went on," I had to kill my friends."

    " Did you?"

    " All but one," Hana grimaced," he got away."

    " Do you regret letting him get away?"

    " Sometimes," Hana whispered," it makes me wonder if he's dead or if he's out there plotting my death. Sometimes, I like to imagine that he's still alive. Maybe that's the reason why I'm still living, maybe I'm just hoping that one day I'll see him again. Even if it ends up in a life and death battle."

    Sunggyu stared at her back towards him. He had never thought he would see such a vulnerable side to her. But he was staring at it now. She turned to look at him and he came face to face with the face of buried sorrow and longing. She opened again as if to say something rude and inappropriate so he reached out and pulled her towards him. In a quick motion, he had her in his arms, in a hug. Her body was tensed but in a matter of seconds it relaxed.

    " What is this?" She asked in a confused voice. She felt awkward but it was comforting.

    " It's called a hug," Sunggyu explained, trying to contain his laugh," all you have to do is hug me back."

    " Like this?" he was surprised when he felt her place her hands around him and rested her head on his shoulders. He nodded and layed his head on her head. They stood like that for what felt like endless hours.

    --
    
    Woohyun was walking around the castle, glad that there were actual people in it. The place felt warmer now and more alive. Soldiers patrolled the halls. Maids were cleaning almost every part of the castle, waitresses and servants hurried to and fro. Kids played in the great hall, making him feel less alone. Sunggyu had vanished when he had woken up so Woohyun decided that he would continue with his mission and the book (which he carried around in his book-bag).
    
    He was still spooked out by the magical writing. At first, he tried to convince himself that someone was playing a prank on him. But who could it be? The book literally appeared on the floor by itself in the middle of the night. The burning sting on his wrist had vanished but he had a feeling it would return. He walked outside, into the backyard, looking for a quiet place to read and examine the unknown symbols. The sun was high in the sky now so he figured that his friends were probably somewhere eating or exploring.

    He round a corner of a rose bush to find a bench but stopped when he saw the queen and Eun picking roses and settling them in the baskets they were holding. He made an attempt to turn away but stopped when he remembered what the book had instructed. This is crazy, he thought, walking up to the two girls.

    " Hey," Woohyun saluted them with his handsome smile.

    " Good afternoon," Eun said, giving him a small curtsy.

    " Ah," Hana gave him an approving nod," good timing, My hand is getting tired." She handed him her basket and for that short second when he took it, he felt a slight sting on his wrist," they're just flowers, you don't have to be scared," Hana noticed his wince but didn't ask about it.

    " Yes, ma'am," he said as respectfully as he could.

    " I have a name," Hana informed, picking a rose from the bushes. Woohyun noticed how pricked her fingers were from the thorns but she didn't show any sign of pain as she tossed them into the basket.

    " We're going to run out of vases soon," Eun murmured when she tugged the flowers with gentleness to avoid the thorns.

    " Then I guess you'll just have to go and buy some more," Hana responded. Her rose-picking was a lot quicker than Eun's so her basket was piling up faster.

    " Why don't you go?" Woohyun asked, intruding in their conversation. He felt bad for Eun, she always did Hana's dirty work for her.

    " You dare question me?" Hana narrowed her eyes at him furiously.

    " Yes, I dare question you, Hana," Woohyun said," I dare you to leave the castle walls. Unless you're too scared."

    He was provoking her now and she knew it. But because she was hardheaded, she wasn't going to back down," fine then. Tomorrow at dawn, meet me at the front gates."

    " Why me?"

    " To ensure my safety of course," She said, walking towards the castle," do me a favor and drop those off in the kitchen."

    " Is she always like that?" Woohyun spoke his thoughts out loud, not really expecting an answer but Eun gave him one anyways.

    " She loves a challenge," Eun said, taking the basket from his hand and smiling at him shyly," would you like to have some tea with me?"

    " Sure," he said, taking the basket back and her basket as well. If the queen wants a challenge then a challenge I will give her.