Illuminate

Follow me into the Darkness

-------Chapter 10 - Illuminate

    "Isn't it beautiful?" the younger version of Hana asked as they danced among a field of fireflies by the church. A little boy chuckles and starts chasing after them gleefully with her trailing behind.

    Hana eyes fluttered open as she gazed into the dark room and realized how cold and empty it was beside her. Woohyun was gone. She sat up quickly and noticed the door was left open, leading into the black hallway. I was sure I locked it, she told herself, wondering if he left to find something to eat. The candle had already burned out, leaving her no choice but to wander around the halls in the dark. She felt her skin prickle uneasily as she tiptoed into the kitchen, then the dining room, and even checked the bathrooms. No signs of Woohyun.

    She didn't want to make a sound in case someone else was in the castle. Someone dangerous. She crept back into Woohyun's room and shut the door behind her. Hana looked around, wondering if there was anything she could use to help her figure out where he could be. Taking a step towards the desk, she stepped on something smooth and took a step back. Laying on the floor was a dusty old book. Sighing, she knew she had to read it even if it meant getting her fingers dirty. When she opened it, there were foreign symbols on the pages, so she kept flipping through, hoping there was something readable. Then on an empty page, black words appeared like magic.

    Check the dungeons.

    Then they faded out into nothing as if they were never there. Hana gulped and headed towards her bedroom. She picked up her sword and swung it over her shoulder then made her way quietly towards the dungeon. The bookshelf was already pushed aside to leave the hidden doorway open as if it was welcoming her.

    She took off her slippers so they wouldn't make noises against the stone floor. As she entered the mouth of the door, she explored the narrow paths that led to dead ends. She decided to head towards Hyesu's prison. But even in the pitch black when she arrived, she knew no one was there. A soft breath ran up her neck and Hana froze. It was a cold breath and she could feel another presense behind her. But somehow it didn't feel warm like Woohyun. Her body felt numb but she forced herself to turn around with a scream escaping her lips. Standing in front of her was Woohyun, he had on a smile carved on his face but his eyes seemed distant. As if he wasn't really there.

    " What are you doing here, Hana?" he asked in pleasantly, heading back up the stairs that took them to the Great Hall. She followed him reluctantly.

    " I was looking for you..." She whispered, eyeing his back closely," lets go wait outside, the sun will be rising soon."

    " Now why would you want to do that?" Woohyun questioned. She didn't say anything as they went into the rose garden.

    " You mean you don't remember?" Hana flashed at him, pulling out her sword. Woohyun's eyes noticed the blade glinting at him.

    " You're not going to hurt a dear friend of yours, are you?" He asked innocently, pulling out his sword too.

    " Don't play with me," Hana growled, sprinting at him and raising her sword over her head, she brought it down with great force but he dodged it succesfully. Their swords danced together in the starlight as they bounced off one another. Woohyun's eyes had changed into a shade of crimson and he tried aiming his sword at her heart but she was quick and blocked it with her own sword. He managed to slice the gentle skin of her cheek but she jumped back quickly, landing in a pile of leaves to avoid a any other damage.

    " Don't mess me with my plans, little sister," He hissed, stepping towards her slowly, his sword dragging in the grass.

    " Let him go!" She yelled, lunging forward and tackling him to the ground. They wrestled and rolled, clawing and punching each other as much as they can," you don't belong here! You belong in the underworld!"

    " You think dying was the end of me?!" He lets out an evil laugh that echoed in the garden, trying to punch her in the face, but she moved her head to the side quickly," this is just the beginning!  Once I take over his body, I'll be able to rule again!"

    " I won't let you," Hana hissed, kicking him in the stomach and sending him flying across the yard. His body slammed against the ground and she winced, realizing she was also hurting Woohyun's body.

    " Foolish sister," he grunted, getting up," you were suppose to kill this one a long time ago!"

    " I don't know what you're talking about," she lied, glaring at him. He laughs again and shakes his head.

    " You think I haven't been watching over you?" He tilted his head to the side with a smirk," you wanted to play this little game with them just to see if one of them was him, and when you realized it was you even helped him after the library incident."

    She said nothing as she glared at him. Suddenly, a groan came out of him and he grasped his head in pain," get out!"

    " Fight him back!" Hana screamed, hoping Woohyun could hear her voice. Woohyun began fighting over his body with her brother's spirit. He fell to his knees, shaking his head uncontrollably.

    " You've grown soft, little sister!" he snapped, feeling like his head was about to explode open," I have eyes in the castle! Just know that!"

    He lets out a final scream and a white spirit suddenly jumps out of Woohyun's body. It turned into dust the moment it was released and Woohyun collapsed onto the ground. Hana rushed over and pressed her ears against his chest, listening to his heartbeat that was beginning to grow firm and steady. She pulled away feeling a little relieved.

    " Woohyun?" She called, shaking him a little. The sun had began to peak over the kingdom now. He lets out another groan and struggled to open his eyes.

    " Hana?" He questioned, squinting his brown eyes at her. She smiled and looked around them. Orbs that were smaller than flakes of snow were floating every where, drifting from the rose and dancing in the air. A soft hum filled their ears with the melody of the Summer fairies, creating a feeling of serenity.

    " Isn't it beautiful?" she whispered, looking back down at him. He glanced around for a minute to admire the beauty of the baby fairies. They illuminated the garden with a pink glow and reminded Woohyun of his childhood....chasing after fireflies in the summer. He reached over and held her hand that was soft and delicate like the texture of a rose petal.
   
    "It was you......" he whispered, looking into her eyes as he recalled the mysterious voice that told him everything was going to be okay. The hand that held his and made him feel peaceful. Memories like missing pieces of a puzzle began zooming into his painful head as he closes his eyes," I remember......"