A Twist & A Turn

My Guardian Angel

A few days slowly crawled by with many visits from various doctors and even some police officers. Not a single one left the room without apologizing and bowing deeply in your direction. It's not like any of them could've changed the outcome of that car ride simply by saying sorry. Frankly, it was starting to annoy you and you were just about to snap at the next person who came in. Today your first visit had not been from a doctor or nurse, but from a young man who had claimed he'd been there at the scene of the accident when it happened. According to what everyone had been telling you, he's the one that had pulled you out of the wreckage after calling 119. He'd introduced himself only as "Fishy" and had supposedly waited for days to come in and see you for some reason. 

 

"So you're saying you remember nothing?" he asks again. This had to be about the 3rd or 4th time he'd asked that question and again all you do is shake your head.

 

"I remember my name, my parents' names, and basic things like my birthday... But that's really it," you explain yourself yet again.

 

A slightly troubled and puzzled look crosses his face. But something about the way he'd looked at you when he first came in reminded you of someone.... but who? You struggled to remember, but your mind kept bringin up blanks that offered no help at all.

 

"So, Fishy... Why were you so eager to get in here and see me?" you ask curiously as you gaze out the window.

 

"Well... A day or so after the crash, I went back to the site and found something... I thought you'd want it back," he says softly as he reaches into his backpack and takes out a rather fancy-looking camera. "I think you were going to school here to become a photographer, because it has your name on the strap. it would make sense, wouldn't it?" he asks more than explains and smiles a little, handing you the camera.

 

You take a deep breath and turn the camera over and over in your hands... How had it not sustained very much damage? And what could be on the film you'd used so far? There were still quite a few pictures left to take on the roll, but you knew there had been some taken. You make a move to open the back of it, but stop yourself when you remember how the bright light from the room would ruin the film.

 

"Thank you for bringing this here.... But why can't you tell me your real name? I'm sure you know mine well enough by now..." you say softly, looking at the attractive young man with sad eyes. 

 

"I'm sorry... But I'm not allowed to. It'd be better if you figure out who I am after I've left... I shouldn't even be here technically, but I couldn't stay away. I had to be sure you're going to be able to make it. And I believe that you will. Those prosthetics will be ready soon hopefully... Then you'll get back to the life you were planning to have before all of this happened," he says softly, his voice full of honesty and sincerity.

 

"How can I ever thank you enough?" you ask, desperately hoping you can do something to show this complete stranger how grateful you are.

 

"Just keep your eyes on SM Entertainment, alright? That's where the stars of tomorrow get their start today," he says somewhat cryptically before he moves closer, pecks your forehead lightly, then leaves the room without another word.

 

A deep sigh leaves your lips as you look around the now-empty room, your heart suddenly feeling as empty as the white-washed box they were keeping you in. The entire day passes by feeling that exact same way. Even after dinner, you still can't seem to get out of the funk that the mysterious man's depature left you in. It isn't until shortly after your bath (more like sponge bath that was given to you by a matronly nurse who only complimented on how beautiful your legs must've been) that you finally notice something on a chair in the corner. You heave a sigh as the last doctor that was scheduled to visit for today had already left and carefully manuver your way into your wheelchair. After a few minutes of struggling to sit up properly in it, you wheel yourself over and pick up the crumpled, black object and realize it's Fishy's jacket. Your hands shake slightly as you drop the leathery, zipper-covered thing in your lap and turn it over and over. Your heart is hammering in your chest, but you take it as just some sort of excitement from finding something not white in this spotless room. It takes you a few moments, but you eventually find the tag on the inside of the collar. 

 

"Lee Donghae...." you read aloud, marveling at the almost effeminate handwriting. There's a little more ink on the tag, but it's too faded to really make any sense of. 

 

As the room starts to darken around you, you finally realize that you've been sitting there for at least 20 minutes, if not more. With a soft sigh you wheel yourself back to the bed and toss the jacket underneath it before sliding out of the chair and crawling back up onto the bed. Your camera is sitting on the bedside table, it's lense facing the window. You lay on your side and stare at the beautiful device for a few moments before suddenly sitting up and picking it up, putting it right up to your eye as you aim it in the same direction it was just pointing. You scan the horizon as the beautiful sunset begins and try to find the perfect subject to shoot. A tree. A bench. A lamppost maybe... So many inatimate objects find their way into your line of sight and somehow a picture like that would just feel empty to you. You're about to give up when suddenly the silohuette of a person comes into your frame. Your heart skips a beat as you frantically zoom in on the figure. "Come on... turn around. Turn around," you whisper to yourself as you wait patiently, not feeling like a creepy stalker in the slighest.

 

The setting sun behind the figure is driving you crazy, especially since the light is fading fast. You panic slightly, knowing that once the light leaves, you won't be able to get a good shot. For a while you just sit there, not even realizing you're holding your breath until the figure finally turns around and you let out a small gasp. You reflexively snap the picture, praying desperately that this particular picture will develop perfectly. You're absolutely positive that you'd just seen an angel. Your Guardian Angel.